ADVERTISEMENT

$15 dollar hr minimum wage?

I was thinking the same thing......When I was in business it was a devil to find decent help.......this was before cell phones got prevalent.......I would go crazy on a job with a bunch of people standing around looking at phones and expecting $15 an hour to do it........and don't expect them to work hard, show up on time or to care........
Just curious what was minimum wage when you stated your first job? And what year

"living wage" is something that must be defined. There is zero reason someone can't survive on minimum wage, especially given the financial assistance available.

The difference is they won't have the life they want. But that's a different issue. Maybe they have to endure a roommate, can't have the newest iphone, or nicest car. That's just life. How many of us are forced to accept (at least temporarily) financial conditions that we wish were better?

^We’ve tried that many, many times. The problem is that the money that businesses save never seems to get reinvested; it simply ends up in shareholders’ bank accounts and never gets reintroduced into the economy. They don’t spend it; they keep it in offshore bank accounts.

Lol good lord.

Reactions: awf
Just curious what was minimum wage when you stated your first job? And what year
My first job 1966 was working for a feed store putting up hay and straw and delivering feed at Louisville Downs.........$0.50 an hour cash......I went to work on June 2, 1968 for my first tax paying job at a place called Henry's Hamburgers for .80 an hour and had to pay for my lunch.....it was a 31/2 mile walk from home.....I walked from school and then walked home when I got off.......about 8 months later I went to work at Kentucky Fried Chicken........$1.35 an hour and all you could eat.......I thought I was rich......

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Mine was $3.35/hr sacking groceries for my "real" job. I mowed lawns before, during and after that. And of course, running a lemonade stand when I was like...8
Did you expect any of those jobs to provide a "living wage" cause with this ridiculous legislature bagging groceries would.

Did you expect any of those jobs to provide a "living wage" cause with this ridiculous legislature bagging groceries would.

I've never been a proponent of a minimum wage, just let the market set the price. My first job out of college was selling stock door to door to start up an insurance company where I was commission only. It lasted all of 3 months, where I was dead broke. Then I took 3 jobs to climb out of my debt and pay bills. There were times where I only got three hours of sleep. So I don't have alot of sympathy for people that complain about it.

Reactions: berniecarbo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT