ADVERTISEMENT

#1 pick

I love the kids but I feel our Coach might just make promises to kids prior to them coming on campus and just sticks with them (for better or worse).. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for our program. There are examples that I can point out but I will just leave that there.
Dillingham is an absolute killer and should be on the court. I am aware though he was making mistakes in the first half and needed to be reeled in but that is the downside to him. He is crazy explosive with a capability to make a bad play here and there. Positives FAR outweigh the negative though IMO.
Reed is a very heady player and could deserve to start as well. Interesting to see where we go from now. If we have Reed, Dillingham and Reeves on the court at one time we are capable of major point production. I think he is trying to get Wagner going though. Not sure.

Such a damn joke. He is the only coach in America that would not start Dillingham and only get him 20 MPG. His loyalty to Wagner has not only hurt this team but sent DJ's draft stock down the shitter since the start of the season. So no one is a winner here and the losses just keep on mounting up.

It’s was clear after watching high school highlights Rob was the best player in this recruiting class. I’m really not sure how Cal nor the staff seemed to see it.
You left off plenty of other coaches and recruiting services. He may have turned out to be the best player in the class today but that was far from a certainty based on his HS play. In fact, based on HS play I think it was fairly certain he was the 3rd or 4th best player in this class.

Cal doesn't have to promise minutes to his top 5 stars. It's assumed. If he begins reducing minutes then he loses his one strength and advantage - recruiting.

Reactions: Zissou87
Would you like to compare those teams any further, or does context not matter?
My point is it wasn't unheard of and if Williams went 2nd, he was "better" than the starters since none of them went first. Was Roy insane for not starting him?

You left off plenty of other coaches and recruiting services. He may have turned out to be the best player in the class today but that was far from a certainty based on his HS play. In fact, based on HS play I think it was fairly certain he was the 3rd or 4th best player in this class.
Your assumption is the recruiting services actually know what they are doing when they have proven many times over they don’t. They never judge a kid by his current talent level rather what they feel their ceiling is which is an abomination of a way to evaluate. The whole damn system sucks.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
I’m disgusted by the constant lineup changes and think it’s #1 issue holding this team back from developing any defensive continuity. However, it is fair to point out that Dillingham is the single worst defender at UK under Cal. It’s really really bad and I think the coaches struggle with balancing the offensive impact Vs the defensive shortcomings. (If you watch the replay against LSU it was Dilly’s man cutting from the perimeter to catch the winning lob and he didn’t move. He just ball watched the entire thing. Which is a theme….he plays abhorrent off ball defense)

My point is it wasn't unheard of and if Williams went 2nd, he was "better" than the starters since none of them went first. Was Roy insane for not starting him?

What were the results of that year for UNC? Do you feel this would be a topic if we were experiencing different results?

Reactions: TM2013
If you know Cal you know he will use it so from here on out he can say Kentuckys different.
He's got Davis took the 5th most shots.
Devin Booker didn't even start.
Now he's got the #1 pick came off the bench.

I know this is about our guy, but while Marvin Williams did not end up having the career you'd want from a #2 pick, however

he played the 3rd most games in the NBA out of that class. Only Chris Paul(4th pick) and Lou Williams(2nd round #45 overall) played more.

he played for 15 seasons, and
he earned 124 million in contracts

So, in the end, he had a prolonged career and set himself and his family up for life(as long as he spent his money wisely). Not bad for a guy who never quite lived up to his draft spot.

Sahvir Wheeler got unlimited run here for a season and a half, then Cal gets gun shy with Rob Dillingham. It’s this shit that has put me over the edge with Cal. Appreciate the 15 years, it’s incredible the talent he’s brought through and the way they’ve been ambassadors for the program. Thanks Cal, you’ve done a great job here overall.

But c’mon, this started when you collared Shai in favor of Quade Green. Since you couldn’t be straightforward from the start and play a future NBA MVP candidate, you waited til it was obvious to everyone but Quade, then had Shai take over later. Ever since that team roles have been a struggle, and that was also where unexplained injuries with foggy timelines began too with Jarred Vanderbilt. Wish someone could find out what the hell happened after the Fox/Monk/Bam team. Cal was trying to win it all with that team, don’t think anyone doubts it. There were no injury games with that team that I can recall. The year before that Derek Willis blew up his ankle and posted the pics of it all black and blue on social media. Played the next game. Now you see a guy hobble off during the game and you think “well, probably won’t be seeing him for a couple weeks”. It’s easy to point at the 2015 loss as the collapse point for Cal. But that ‘17 team freakin had it. It was after that loss where things took a sharp turn.

It's safe to say half these "experts" have no clue what they're talking about or looking at. It's about money and clicks. DJ seems like a great kid , but he's been labeled #1 since 7th grade. Dad and grandpa were stars a d one played for Cal so he's a can't miss kid. Trouble is his game has more "basketball" holes in it than a Callander does. One dimensional player player. If he had learned to shoot like Reed or Rob as a kid he'd be a superstar.

Sahvir Wheeler got unlimited run here for a season and a half, then Cal gets gun shy with Rob Dillingham. It’s this shit that has put me over the edge with Cal. Appreciate the 15 years, it’s incredible the talent he’s brought through and the way they’ve been ambassadors for the program. Thanks Cal, you’ve done a great job here overall.

But c’mon, this started when you collared Shai in favor of Quade Green. Since you couldn’t be straightforward from the start and play a future NBA MVP candidate, you waited til it was obvious to everyone but Quade, then had Shai take over later. Ever since that team roles have been a struggle, and that was also where unexplained injuries with foggy timelines began too with Jarred Vanderbilt. Wish someone could find out what the hell happened after the Fox/Monk/Bam team. Cal was trying to win it all with that team, don’t think anyone doubts it. There were no injury games with that team that I can recall. The year before that Derek Willis blew up his ankle and posted the pics of it all black and blue on social media. Played the next game. Now you see a guy hobble off during the game and you think “well, probably won’t be seeing him for a couple weeks”. It’s easy to point at the 2015 loss as the collapse point for Cal. But that ‘17 team freakin had it. It was after that loss where things took a sharp turn.
Agree. How a HOF coach can't seem to play his best players more mins is mind boggling to me. Even middle school coaches play the best players.

Reactions: BigKari

It's never felt the same. Or had the magic. After 2017.

We have a guy that is in discussions for the #1 pick that our coach won’t start. Consider that for 1 second and just think how absolutely insane of a human Cal is.
Yup Sad really.
There ain’t but two other players that make shots like Rob Dillingham, one is Caitlin Clark and the other one plays for the Golden State Warriors…and they damn show ain’t coming off the bench!!

I don’t think it was obvious in high school. A lot of us thought he’d struggle. His shot selection in high school was atrocious. And wouldn’t have translated well to this level. But he showed a ton of improvement in that are just between high school and the canada games. And then when the season started he had improved in a ton of other areas. He’s become a more consistent outside shooter. He’s added 15 pounds of muscle to be able to finish better through contact. His decision making overall has improved drastically.

It was pretty obvious after a few games he was the better player. But then DJ had a really strong 6 game stretch. Then he struggled against South Carolina and Arkansas and hasn’t been the same since. Surprisingly Rob has done a much better job handling the physical conference play than DJ. Rob just has a lot more in his bag. DJ has great ball skills and fundamental understanding of the game but not having the jumper to go with it all just kills guys at this level.

The guy starting infront of him was Jawad Williams who was a senior ALL-ACC player that had been one of their best players every year there. He was the better college basketball player that season. And Roy played him over his hot shot freshman to benefit the team.

Could be about the time Cal realize he’d made his bed with the officials and he would never win another title. After the shit show in 15 and even worse in 17? Maybe.

Reactions: BigKari
Marvin Williams played for UNC, was drafted 2nd, and never started a game. This isn't just a Cal thing. Roy Williams (who most on here consider to be one of the best ever) has done it too.

Roy won 3 national titles. Calipari couldn't win a 2nd if he had a gun to his head and 5 more years to win it.

I’m disgusted by the constant lineup changes and think it’s #1 issue holding this team back from developing any defensive continuity. However, it is fair to point out that Dillingham is the single worst defender at UK under Cal. It’s really really bad and I think the coaches struggle with balancing the offensive impact Vs the defensive shortcomings. (If you watch the replay against LSU it was Dilly’s man cutting from the perimeter to catch the winning lob and he didn’t move. He just ball watched the entire thing. Which is a theme….he plays abhorrent off ball defense)
True statement.

Then go with what I say because I said it before he hit the campus. And Cal should know more than me.

This team will go as far as Dilly can take them. At 18 to 20 minutes a game,that isn't far
He plays 22 mpg, not 18-20. I agree that’s not enough. But Rob contributes to that with silly fouls, so in 36% (9) of his games he has been limited in minutes due to foul trouble (4-5 fouls). So in other games he plays 24-25 min. Still not enough, but much more than your exaggerated 18-20.

He should be playing 35 along with Reed and Reeves. It's the dumbest thing ever.
He can’t!
He fouls too much. In 36% (9) of his games played he finished limited in minutes due to 4-5 fouls. Also I think all the energy he plays with he may need a bit more breather than others.
I would shoot for 34 for Reed and Reeves, and 30 for Rob.

Maybe we will see it today. DJ was just so bad that game that I do think Cal will be forced to make the switch.

Everytime the national media is about to pounce on him, he seems to do whatever is needed to get the win and get them off his back. Ie: Auburn.

So he can't afford to let DJ put up another stinker and lose a game, fall to the bubble again, all because we waited too long to get Dilly going.

That's my hope at least. I think no matter what, we're going to see even less of DJ and more of Dilly. But not sure the starters will change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT