ADVERTISEMENT

What did it cost us? And realistic Year 1 expectations?

It really is impossible to know until we see what kind of roster Pope puts in place. Getting Reed back would be a nice start for any coach. Will have to build through the portal heavily. Who knows what level of recruits he is going to go after now that he is away from BYU? Freshmen OAD's won't be an issue.

At least we have a head coach and he’s not Cal…. Am I right? What did it cost us? EVERYTHING.

How will you feel when Arkansas beats the brakes off us with our former players and recruiting class?

What’s realistic for Year 1 considering we have no players?

NIT?

1st round?
As I stated in another thread expectations will be very low for a couple of years. But, we weren't going to be relevant in the tournaments under Calipari moving forward either so I will give the new coach a chance. Year 3 better be relevant or there won't be any succeeding years.

At least we have a head coach and he’s not Cal…. Am I right? What did it cost us? EVERYTHING.

How will you feel when Arkansas beats the brakes off us with our former players and recruiting class?

NIT?

1st round?
Is DJ gonna be running point?

Cal went to the elite 8 and won the sec regular season and tourney in year 1 with an almost new roster and won 35 games. It can be done.

Let's see if pope can do something similar.

A roster full of a lot of unknown transfers. Probably around .500 at best.

If we put together a Payne-like season next year there will be riots against Barnhart and he might just get fired.

I'll reserve judgment until we have a full roster but right now the only banner we might be hanging is a NIT one.

Cal went to the elite 8 and won the sec regular season and tourney in year 1 with an almost new roster and won 35 games. It can be done.

Let's see if pope can do something similar.
Calipari had enough of a track record getting people to the league that top recruits like Wall, Cousins & Bledsoe expedited the process. Pope does not.

Reactions: thedahc
So we are already making excuses for next year's failures? Thought this was UK man. Guess we are now BYU east.
What was the excuse? I simply laid out the reality of the situation. Not my fault you aren't up to speed. This is not how Pope builds his teams. Even if it was, most of the 2024 class is signed. The only way next year is a really good season is if Reed returns and get a bunch of portal guys that gel making next year special. It won't be the same way Calipari did it as you alluded to in the previous post.

NIT?

1st round?
Don't know ...ask JVC!! He's done both of those more recent than Pope.

What was the excuse? I simply laid out the reality of the situation. Not my fault you aren't up to speed. This is not how Pope builds his teams. Even if it was, most of the 2024 class is signed. The only way next year is a really good season is if Reed returns and get a bunch of portal guys that gel making next year special. It won't be the same way Calipari did it as you alluded to in the previous post.
Hoping Z, DJ and several others stay with Reed to be the nucleus.

NIT?

1st round?
I mean I don't see us beating Dook, UNC, Zags, ARK, TN. AUB, BAMA, at the very least. Thats a lot of losses right off the top. Knowing most of the roster will have to be portal guys I'd be surprised if we made the NCAAT. Hope I'm wrong.

Hoping Z, DJ and several others stay with Reed to be the nucleus.
It would certainly be a nice start if he can get some guys to stay off this team. Feel like the Wagners are loyal to Calipari and he would follow Cal to Arkansas eventually unless I have missed something said on him. Maybe Thiero comes back now. Big Z could learn a thing or two from a big man like Pope. I would strongly suggest he stay at Kentucky.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT