ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler and Ugo the secret weapons

Cal is going to shock the world. Wheeler will be back at P.G. and play like the preseason first team he was expected to be. Cal will have Reeves and Wallace in a 3 guard line up to combat Providence's 3 guard line-up with Toppin and Oscar. He is going to push the pace and run all our opponents into the ground with 40 minutes of hell defense because he will now use the bench. Fredrick is healed and is hitting 3's like the top shooter he was thought to be when he subs for Reeves or Wallace. Cal will switch up defenses including zones with Ugo blocking every interior shot that even Edey or similar big men we face puts up. Our other bench players will all demonstrate their talent and knowing their roles. Livingston will sub for Toppin at the 4 and will be a low post monster like he is physically built to be. No team will be able to sustain the stamina of our deep bench, intense defense, and physical team skills. Cal will adjust any needs and strategy during the game as his Hall of Fame status and many years of experience knows what to do. No one will be able to match us. I see it all so clearly now. The regular season and the SEC tourney was planned to throw everyone off. Brilliant!

NFL and the QB Second Contract

Since NFL free agency has kicked off, I thought I would ask this question. If you were an NFL GM, would you give a QB a second contract? We are starting to see even the most average QB like Daniel Jones sign a second contract that represents a very large portion of the salary cap. We are also seeing QBs demand more and more guaranteed money, which means that money is locked regardless of how the player performs. The third element to this is that we are seeing most QBs incorporate a running element to their game, which only increases the chances that they will be injured. Especially as they age.

Teams like the Ravens, the Bengals, the Chargers and the Eagles are all going to have huge decisions to make. Those QBs are going to demand enormous contracts and it is going to leave very little room to sign elite players at other positions.

For me, I am now wondering if the better strategy would be to basically use a day 1 or 2 pick on QB every season. I would also design an offense that is more along the lines of what we are seeing out of the Ravens and the Eagles. QBs are incredibly valuable, so even if I don't have the need to replace a starter. I have a constant stream of trade pieces that I can use to improve my team. And I can spend more of my salary cap on positions that have the potential for a much bigger bang for the buck.

The final piece to this is just looking at how many modern QBs have won a title outside of their first 7 years in the league. Tom Brady is the outlier. There aren't a lot outside the of the GOAT. A QB in the first round can be locked for five years and franchised for two. That might give me enough window with that player before I need to move on.

So, curious as to others thoughts. If you woke up tomorrow in charge of a team like the Bengals or the Ravens, are you committing your future to your superstar QB or are you looking for alternatives?

Thoughts on season so far

I have attended at least parts of three games and followed the season pretty closely. So far, I see UK with a decent pitching staff, no one pitcher is overpowering, but they have a lot of guys throwing around 90 and have depth. That probably is the team strength. Have not seen enough game action to judge the defense yet.

Give credit where credit is due with Ming, he is trying to be a base running and bunting small ball team, out of necessity, but at least he is trying. Problem I see is that UK really doesn't have a great deal of team speed, and the bunting is inconsistent, sometimes it works, but not perfect by any means.

But the big picture to me that makes the team so hard to evaluate is that the schedule has been really light so far, have played a lot of really bad teams. Next Tuesday we play Indiana, mid week games are of course a crap shoot, but they are at least a B10 team. And then SEC play starts. I would not be surprised if this turns out to be a typical UK season, e.g., run up a big record playing non conference patsies, but then reality sets in once we play SEC/Louisville games. But maybe we can squeak out some low scoring wins with good pitching. Fingers still crossed . . .

NCAA basketball tournament Wiki page. Result by school and year graphic.

Look to the contents on the left. Select result by school and year. There's a cool table there where you can see the history of the different programs and how they fared in the NCAAT. I think it's pretty cool and informative.

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM

We will need rim protection to have any chance to make a deep run...

whether that means giving more minutes to Collins or Onyenso, one of the two has to play. I realize the offensive downside to playing one of them alongside Oscar but unfortunately with how bad Oscar is defensively I really don't see any way around it unless you scale Oscar's minutes back and play them at the 5 instead in short bursts.

Not saying we need 30 mins a night from them but at least 12-15 productive minutes (from one of the two) to keep the shots around the rim less efficient for a period of time.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT