ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart to discontinue confederate flag merchandise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: wildcatwelder
I've never owned a confederate flag in my life, but because of this controversy, I just ordered two confederate flag beach towels from amazon. Hopefully I get to offend a lot of people. They might get confused though because my wife is not white.

I'm pretty upset Walmart did this right at the start of summer. It's county fair season and I need a new ensemble.

If someone could please explain to me what is unique about "Confederate heritage" other than slavery from general old-timin' US culture from that era, I'd appreciate it. Seems to me the main crux of the split and the origin of the flag (in its original form) was the difference of opinion on the scope of federal powers to control and end slavery.

Is it just about the rebellious "we ain't takin ur shit" vibe that I guess many people seem to associate it with, or is it deeper? I guess my point is, why celebrate or recognize that flag unless you kinda wish the Confederacy (re: slavery) had won?

If someone could please explain to me what is unique about "Confederate heritage" other than slavery from general old-timin' US culture from that era, I'd appreciate it. Seems to me the main crux of the split and the origin of the flag (in its original form) was the difference of opinion on the scope of federal powers to control and end slavery.

Is it just about the rebellious "we ain't takin ur shit" vibe that I guess many people seem to associate it with, or is it deeper? I guess my point is, why celebrate or recognize that flag unless you kinda wish the Confederacy (re: slavery) had won?

"Love it or leave it, queer. These colors don't run. "

0802-CONFEDERATE-FLAG-OREGON-BUS-DRIVER-FREE-SPEECH.JPG_full_600.jpg

Reactions: argubs2
Heads will roll for not taking the flag down before the rampage , could have been avoided .
You really think removing the flag will remove racism and lunacy? Hate to be the bearer of bad news- but it's not going to automatically eradicate racist behaviors and ideology.

It's a good step in the right direction, but if people think this is going to be some type of automatic quick fix for society, they are sorely mistaken. In the short term, it may even incite the lunatic fringe to be more outspoken, unfortunately.

That flag stands for a bunch of lazy, punk ass bitches who tried to leave America.

Thankfully, those rednecks got their asses kicked by the tougher and smarter Americans from the north.

Every remaining copy of that flag should be sent to 3rd World countries ravaged by AIDS, ebola and homosexuality where it can be used as toilet paper.

:americanflag::uzi::bomb::boom::fire::gun::boxing::airplane:

You really think removing the flag will remove racism and lunacy? Hate to be the bearer of bad news- but it's not going to automatically eradicate racist behaviors and ideology.

I don't think racist behaviors and ideology can survive BOTH the flag coming down in SC as well as Walmart discontinuing sales of confederate flag merchandise.

If you read Roof's "manifesto", he was pissed there weren't any skinheads or KKK or neo-nazis in SC, and therefore needed to take matters into his own hands. And as he told one of his good friends (who was black), he was originally going to shoot up College of Charleston.

My point for writing this is not to defend the Rebel flag, but it's to prove how ridiculous it is that this has become the story. Purely agenda driven. It's not like our society goes crazy over removing gang symbols/clothes when a 5-year old girl gets shot from a stray bullet in the hood.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
If you read Roof's "manifesto", he was pissed there weren't any skinheads or KKK or neo-nazis in SC, and therefore needed to take matters into his own hands. And as he told one of his good friends (who was black), he was originally going to shoot up College of Charleston.

My point for writing this is not to defend the Rebel flag, but it's to prove how ridiculous it is that this has become the story. Purely agenda driven. It's not like our society goes crazy over removing gang symbols/clothes when a 5-year old girl gets shot from a stray bullet in the hood.

I don't think there are many gang symbols posted inside of or flying over state capitals.

Reactions: GonzoCat90

Is it just about the rebellious "we ain't takin ur sh!t" vibe that I guess many people seem to associate it with, or is it deeper? I guess my point is, why celebrate or recognize that flag unless you kinda wish the Confederacy (re: slavery) had won?

Seriously? A lot of Northerners still think Southerners are a bunch of bumpkins. Flying the flag for many people is a giant FU to the people who think that way. Since I live / grew-up in a border state, I don't have a dog in that fight, but I can definitely see how you can fly the flag as a symbol of pride rather than a symbol of being pro-slavery.

As for how that makes black people feel about that, most people who fly that flag don't hang out with black people, and black people probably don't want to associate with them either. So who cares?

And by the way, the flag should never have been flown at the state houses or on a state flag. That's your penance for losing the war.

Saw a black guy in Paducah today with a large confederate flag covering his whole back. Thought that was a little odd given the recent circumstances.

Will he still be able to wear that when we get rid of the stars and bars?
Or is that kind of like the N word?

I don't think there are many gang symbols posted inside of or flying over state capitals.
True - and from a "you lost the war" point of view you should take down the flag (it should have never been there to begin with). But to have to do stuff like this cause one lone POS killed nine people is ridiculous. So it was okay last week, but because of this it wasn't okay? C'mon.

True - and from a "you lost the war" point of view you should take down the flag (it should have never been there to begin with). But to have to do stuff like this cause one lone POS killed nine people is ridiculous. So it was okay last week, but because of this it wasn't okay? C'mon.

I don't think Wal-Mart has to do it. I think Wal-Mart is just trying to curry a favor with a portion of its customers. Get themselves in the news by looking like they are being proactive. Still, doesn't hurt my feelings that they are removing those items. I used to have a confederate flag because my high school was called the Rebels and we'd bring the flags to the games, but the over abundant use of the flag by white trash makes it something I don't really like to associate myself with anymore.

How is gang on gang violence with collateral homicides the same as premeditated killing of innocent people?

150504180505-texas-shooting-suspects-split-large-169.jpg
+
isis-flag.jpg
=
Terrorists with a flag that supports ideas like slavery.

635704094167653622-Dylann-Roof.JPG
= Mentally unstable kid with a flag that supports ideas such as slavery.

Last edited:
Wayne I get you man and to be clear, I do not believe everyone who has a Confederate flag bumper sticker or displays / utilizes it it in any other manner is a racist or promotes slavery. Totally agree it's simply about Southern pride in most cases.

Just trying to say that when you think about the symbol...its origins are based on the defense of an archaic and morally reprehensible societal practice. My point is that those who use the flag as a symbol of Southern pride are misguided.

^My point is that regardless of why a person may fly the Confederate Flag, >50% of the those who watch you fly it are thinking it's a racist symbol. And I grew up 2 miles from the homestead of Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Well it doesn't help that everyone's told to think it's racist. It's like the Washington Redskins. I always thought it was just a football team, but now we're told that it's equivalent to saying the n-word by a bunch of media types.

I'm very conservative, but what good is this flag doing honestly? Not from the South, so I'll keep reading comments and learning more, but it seems to me everyone who carries this flag isn't exactly a quality individual. Why do I get the feeling that every time I see it on a car or truck, that this person is probably a racist? I know that up in NY, the rare times you do see this flag, this person has issues. Even more than just being a bigot. Is this the same for the South?

At some point, liberal or conservative, you need to look at your own side and ask "Is this really doing ANYTHING good?"..

Although I hate the idea of telling anyone what they should or shouldn't believe in or follow (and because of that, I am against them trying to take the flag down, on the surface of this whole fiasco) doesn't the South know this gives them a bad look? Kind of the "cut off your nose despite your face ordeal", people are arguing to keep something that really gives them a bad image, not just for liberals and the North, but for the entire world. Kind of feel like people should just let it go.

Reactions: Free_Salato_Blue
In my opinion, if you choose to follow any belief system that supports or condones mass murder, you are mentally ill. If you feel like it's right to murder innocent people for any reason, there is something wrong with your head. I don't care what color your skin is or what your motivation may be. So yeah, the shooter was a white supremacist. That's a mental disease in my mind.

I'm very conservative, but what good is this flag doing honestly? Not from the South, so I'll keep reading comments and learning more, but it seems to me everyone who carries this flag isn't exactly a quality individual. Why do I get the feeling that every time I see it on a car or truck, that this person is probably a racist? I know that up in NY, the rare times you do see this flag, this person has issues. Even more than just being a bigot. Is this the same for the South?

At some point, liberal or conservative, you need to look at your own side and ask "Is this really doing ANYTHING good?"..

Although I hate the idea of telling anyone what they should or shouldn't believe in or follow (and because of that, I am against them trying to take the flag down, on the surface of this whole fiasco) doesn't the South know this gives them a bad look? Kind of the "cut off your nose despite your face ordeal", people are arguing to keep something that really gives them a bad image, not just for liberals and the North, but for the entire world. Kind of feel like people should just let it go.

I agree with you in some respects. But I also think that a lot of people go back to that FU statement the moment anyone (especially the media) tells them to take the flag down.

But if you think this is going to stop with the flag, you're mistaken. There will be a big push to remove references to the Confederacy in terms of street names and statues and what not going forward.

How is gang on gang violence with collateral homicides the same as premeditated killing of innocent people?

150504180505-texas-shooting-suspects-split-large-169.jpg
+
isis-flag.jpg
=
Terrorists with a flag that supports ideas like slavery.

635704094167653622-Dylann-Roof.JPG
= Mentally unstable kid with a flag that supports ideas such as slavery.

To the person who was killed, it's not that different I imagine.

In my opinion, if you choose to follow any belief system that supports or condones mass murder, you are mentally ill. If you feel like it's right to murder innocent people for any reason, there is something wrong with your head. I don't care what color your skin is or what your motivation may be. So yeah, the shooter was a white supremacist. That's a mental disease in my mind.

Exactly, I don't see Dylan Roof any different than Dzhokar Tsarnaev. Both have warped motives to cause harm upon our society.
It is interesting when people and media label one a terrorist and the other mentally unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT