ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart to discontinue confederate flag merchandise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add SC to the list. Governor Haley wants the flag taken off the capital grounds. Has to get 2/3 vote from state legislature. Be interesting to see what happens.

Add SC to the list. Governor Haley wants the flag taken off the capital grounds. Has to get 2/3 vote from state legislature. Be interesting to see what happens.
Republican SC House majority leader has already said he wants it gone.

Is this not discrimination against those of us proud of our Confederate heritage?

When the 1st Amendment is mentioned in a Paddock thread, it is usually being misinterpreted. That being said, this is an exact example of the type of free speech our forefathers were trying to protect.

The kind of speech that needs to be protected is what they sought to protect. There is no reason or need to protect innocuous thoughts regarding mundane subjects.

I don't own any confederate flag themed anything. Doesn't mean I'll tell anyone else not to. Also doesn't mean I'm not going to make an observation about the person I see flying those colors. I do.

"The right for all citizens to not be offended shall not be abridged."

Reactions: wildcatwelder

That flag has nothing to do with southern heritage or pride. That flag didn't go up at the state house until 1962 as a defiant act against the civil rights movement. If the flag was about something/anything positive, it wouldn't be a symbol used by so many hate groups as an attempt to terrorize minorities. If anything, that flag is the pride of those that championed treason since those that fought for it were against the United States.

(Republican) Speaker of the House in Mississippi, Philip Gunn, calls for the state to remove the confederate battle flag from the state's flag design

Liberal or Conservative, it doesn't matter anymore. This country is finished. Nothing left now except to pick at the bones.

That flag has nothing to do with southern heritage or pride. That flag didn't go up at the state house until 1962 as a defiant act against the civil rights movement. If the flag was about something/anything positive, it wouldn't be a symbol used by so many hate groups as an attempt to terrorize minorities. If anything, that flag is the pride of those that championed treason since those that fought for it were against the United States.

Typical liberal,idiotic post from yet another idiot that knows nothing about history. So, yea let us blame this horrible killing by a wacko on a flag.

Reactions: KingOfBBN

Also the flag flying in the state capital grounds of South Carolina is not the Confederate Flag, it's the battle flag of Northern Virginia. Historically it has nothing to do with South Carolina - as you point out it took on symbolism during the civil rights era as an "anti-desegregation" protest icon and remains such today.

Here is the actual Confederate Flag AKA the "stars and bars"

270px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg.png

You know our flag championed treason against the King, right? What does that make us?

Good God, if flags cause mass murders then what the hell was flying over Colorado, Connecticut, Wisconsin, California... take it down!

Except this isn't about murder, it's about an agenda. The hyenas are howling before the bodies are barely cold.

You were at least on to something when you brought up the 1960's.

Walmart is private company. They can chose who they prefer to offend more, the rednecks or the P.C. crowd. Either way this won't do a thing to stop mentally ill people from committing mass murder.

Irrelevant that it isn't something that will produce tangible results, or removing it from state flags or buildings and whatever. It's just obviously the right thing to do.

Move the touch on. I understand the desire to respect your ancestors and rationalize the CIVIL war as some noble cause, but it was the wrong side of the touching CIVIL war. I have no sympathy; my ancestors were on the wrong side of WWII which is way worse... MOVE THE TOUCH ON!

Per Yahoo main page.

This just in. "By order of the Emperor, all negative things from the past (or all things that have a bit of negativity attached to it) must be forever erased from existance. This includes Confederate Flags, the Vietnam "Conflict", the Chevy Corvair, the Ford Edsel, and Furby....since it caused riots and chaos."

Yeah! We all get to start over!

As I heard pointed out on the radio yesterday, weren't all the American flags before 1863 the flags of slavery? Like the first Betsy Ross flag with the 13 stars in a circle. Even whatever flags were flown before that.

Hmm maybe that's why we don't fly Betsy Ross's flags anymore except in museums.

As a country we don't always get it right the first time, but we do keep trying, but I guess there are always a few that would like turn the clock back to the good ole 19th Century.o_O

Walmart needs to discontinue those motorized carts. Last time I was there it was like the lardass 500.
Had to go to Wal-Mart this AM before work to get a quart of oil. 6 carts in the store. 5 being used. All 5 being used were used by persons (male and female) no less than 300 lbs.

Walmart is private company. They can chose who they prefer to offend more, the rednecks or the P.C. crowd. Either way this won't do a thing to stop mentally ill people from committing mass murder.

In and of itself no, but the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, a symbol of Jim Crow and Segregation, flying over the capital of South Carolina did give legitimacy in the demented mind of the racist killer Roof.

So why feed the beast?

images

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT