ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart to discontinue confederate flag merchandise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have neither love for the confederacy, nor its flag. In fact I was surprised to lean the confederate flag was a state flag. But this is ridiculous.

1) A product that companies thought was just fine a few days ago, is suddenly racist? Its been the same flag all along. The only thing that changed is public outcry. If its truly a symbol of racism, then they should be blasted for keeping it around as long as they have. Not get credit for riding the wave of public approval.

2) History is history. The good and the bad. Just because something bad happened, doesnt mean we should try to erase it. Its important to see where we've gone wrong, so we can learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating them.

Everyone is special. Everyone gets a trophy. No, nothing bad ever happened. I guess thats where we're heading.

3) IF I were the type to be outraged, Id be more outraged about the treason/sedition aspect of the flag; which is what it really stands for. That a group of states seceded, and caused the most deadly war this nation has ever known. Not the fact its been embraced by racists and recently turned into a racial icon. But thats just me.

Liberals are just a bunch of weak pussy's that are plagued by there on white guilt. If they hate the color of their skin so much they should take one for the team.

Yeah, he was mentally ill. What can you do? It happens. Guess those nut jobs with ISIS and Al-Qaeda are just "mentally ill" too.

You could use 1% of the money and effort used on stupid things like blaming guns and flags to identify 99% of the mentally unstable in this country. No one dare's punish the individual, that wouldn't make a big enough splash so instead the theory is that when that .0000000000001% of the population screws up EVERYONE must be punished. Yea, we showed them!

A weirdo like that isn't hard to spot, this wasn't even close to his first encounter with the law. Why not ask the guy a few questions on one of his previous trips to jail?

Cats78, if there were an Army with thousands of men full of racists marching through the countryside killing black people it would the same as Isis or al Qaeda. But it was one sick kid in South Carolina who himself wrote could find no one else to align with.
It's like you guys are trying to warp this into a larger issue, and it's not. This knee jerk reaction is very telling of our society, ban all semblance of a flag that had zero to do with what he did. All that's going to do is drive this nation further apart in the long run, why can't people realize that?
It's not even the anger at the battle flag that's upsetting, it's that people, educated people who should know better want to ban something that offends them or they don't like. Do you understand the Pandora's box that would open?

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Liberals are just a bunch of weak pussy's that are plagued by there on white guilt. If they hate the color of their skin so much they should take one for the team.

LOL. Not a Liberal at all and don't believe in the political nonsense in this country. Just pick a side and follow those "beliefs" like sheep. No thanks.

Serious question though....did you make it past the 6th grade? Probably not. Oh hell, doesn't matter.. "all them damned schools are just teaching a bunch of liberal BS anyways" right? Who really needs to be educated on anything at all? Things like not communicating like an idiot are overrated.

LOL. Not a Liberal at all and don't believe in the political nonsense in this country. Just pick a side and follow those "beliefs" like sheep. No thanks.

Serious question though....did you make it past the 6th grade? Probably not. Oh hell, doesn't matter.. "all them damned schools are just teaching a bunch of liberal BS anyways" right? Who really needs to be educated on anything at all? Things like not communicating like an idiot are overrated.

Pussy alert! Pussy Alert! Do us all a favor and just go back to watching Rachel Maddow lol.

Cats78, if there were an Army with thousands of men full of racists marching through the countryside killing black people it would the same as Isis or al Qaeda. But it was one sick kid in South Carolina who himself wrote could find no one else to align with.
It's like you guys are trying to warp this into a larger issue, and it's not. This knee jerk reaction is very telling of our society, ban all semblance of a flag that had zero to do with what he did. All that's going to do is drive this nation further apart in the long run, why can't people realize that?
It's not even the anger at the battle flag that's upsetting, it's that people, educated people who should know better want to ban something that offends them or they don't like. Do you understand the Pandora's box that would open?

You have no idea what you're talking about. Guys like me warp it into a larger issue? Wrong. It is what it is. Kid hates black people and decided to kill them. Get it?

It's people like you that play it off like he's just a "sick kid" or call it "mentally ill" that are using that as a cop out and ignoring the real issue. He killed people cause they were black and he hates black people. He has an extreme belief that many people in this country share as well. Hell, he's even a youngster. I know "guys like you" want to believe that things have changed and no one is REALLY that racist any more, but you're wrong. Sorry.

It's stupid that it takes this to happen for the whole flag thing or whatever. The flag has always been a joke and it should have been taken down years ago and I really don't care if people have it or not.

I'm not gonna sit here and listen to people downplay what this kid for anything other than what it was....racial driven hatred. Feel free to chalking it up to him being a sick kid or whatever but maybe apply that to all the other people who kill based on hating one group? Just mental illness I guess.

But at some point, the Orwellian assault on our history -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- because it doesn't conform with what the rarefied progressives of the 21st Century think is Utopia, will leave us all even more ignorant than we're already becoming.

The history surrounding the flag and other icons of the civil war belong in museums not in official public places, where they represent tacit, official approval of the crimes of yesteryear. I don't believe we will all of a sudden become clueless regarding the civil war because Gov. Haley has decided to move towards removing the flag from the capital grounds of South Carolina.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Guys like me warp it into a larger issue? Wrong. It is what it is. Kid hates black people and decided to kill them. Get it?

It's people like you that play it off like he's just a "sick kid" or call it "mentally ill" that are using that as a cop out and ignoring the real issue. He killed people cause they were black and he hates black people. He has an extreme belief that many people in this country share as well. Hell, he's even a youngster. I know "guys like you" want to believe that things have changed and no one is REALLY that racist any more, but you're wrong. Sorry.

It's stupid that it takes this to happen for the whole flag thing or whatever. The flag has always been a joke and it should have been taken down years ago and I really don't care if people have it or not.

I'm not gonna sit here and listen to people downplay what this kid for anything other than what it was....racial driven hatred. Feel free to chalking it up to him being a sick kid or whatever but maybe apply that to all the other people who kill based on hating one group? Just mental illness I guess.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, you're just being overly dramatic about it.
I never said the kid wasn't racist, that's blatantly obvious, and I never said there weren't racists still, of course there is, there always will be!!
But you're comparing this individual to Isis, do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?
You're the problem, and people like you who want knee jerk reactions that will change absolutely nothing, it won't change a thing except drive a wedge can you understand that?

Reactions: Anthony B
miss the Jeff Davis statue in Frankfort if they take it down. I suppose I won't mind when they close Monticello because Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner

May as well go ahead and close down Henry Clay high school. Oh, and burn the books while you're at it so we can pretend the Country has only existed for twenty or thirty years, atkot.

How many liberals does it take to change a light bulb? 5! Obama to insure it’s a CFL, an EPA agent in case the bulb breaks and a mercury cleanup is necessary, a person to bail out the home owner, an ACORN member to ensure that the right person changed the bulb, and a member of the media to celebrate the change.

Reactions: Mashburned
I know exactly what I'm talking about, you're just being overly dramatic about it.
I never said the kid wasn't racist, that's blatantly obvious, and I never said there weren't racists still, of course there is, there always will be!!
But you're comparing this individual to Isis, do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?
You're the problem, and people like you who want knee jerk reactions that will change absolutely nothing, it won't change a thing except drive a wedge can you understand that?

I'm the problem because you're too dense to understand something simple? Stop making idiotic assumptions and lumping people into a group that you disagree with. THAT is having a knee jerk reaction. What exactly is my knee jerk reaction? Who said I wanted something changed? I said nothing about the flag. I don't care if it's banned or not. I said nothing about doing something drastic in reaction to this, etc. I said the kid killed those people cause he hates black people. ISIS kills Americans cause they hate Americans. That is the analogy. Killing based on hate. Not based on a sickness or mental illness. I don't think people label ISIS as just being sick or mentally ill. Pure cop out. It's a little bigger than that, right? I'm tired of people saying that he didn't kill people based on hate and that he was "just messed up". That's it. That is what I said. Get it?

I'm fully aware that one is on a larger scale and involves and Army of folks as opposed to "this one kid". They both kill based on hate. Right? How many Americans have ISIS killed? Not sure, but I know this "one kid" has 9 on his list. Hard to just say "meh, he was sick and mentally ill, move on, what can ya do".

You don't like my opinion, that's fine. But to assume that I'm having a knee jerk reaction and that I am doing something specific that fits your thought of what "the problem is" is just dumb, pure and simple.

No one is saying the kid didn't kill those people because of hate, where have I or anyone else said that? Nor has anyone said that racism doesn't still exist, it does, by all races.
The kid was mentally ill, just like the kid in Colorado, and every other mass murderer that's done something similar on their own. Does that mean he didn't target blacks, of course not.
As far as what this kid did, what can we go now? The only person responsible for this is in jail awaiting trial. It was an awful thing he did, but it was only him, someone that was close to him that might have known his intentions dropped the ball, or maybe no one knew he was capable of something like this. Either way he did it, and no one is saying it was anything other than his hate that did it, and he was crazy as a loon to even think what he did is feasible, understand?
The reason I said comparing him to Isis or al Qaeda is foolish is because it was just him. There isn't a movement toward this activity here. I don't really see the point in labeling him a terrorist, it was just him. Are gang members terrorists too, they terrorize people and kill for ignorant reasons as well. What's the difference, and they're well organized and have resources unlike this guy.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
What is the endgame with calling him a terrorist? I'd like to know what you think would happen if they designate him as that.

The history surrounding the flag and other icons of the civil war belong in museums not in official public places, where they represent tacit, official approval of the crimes of yesteryear.

What if the museum is a public museum or receives some public funding? Does it then belong in that museum or not?

This ish is getting confusing.

What if the museum is a public museum or receives some public funding? Does it then belong in that museum or not?

This ish is getting confusing.

Personally I have no problem with that becasue a museum is displaying artifacts from historical events. The museum cannot be construed as agreeing with an issue of the past, by simply displaying objects of that era, whereas a government agency would.

Nope. Two white slave owning bastards. One happened to have the French fleet on his side. Being one of the smarter posters here, you know that.

But nobody clamoring to move George's statue. How curious.
you're so insightful! now I see that J Davis and G Wash are totally analogous! Thanks!

Reactions: -LEK-
Jamo, they kind of are, only one guy won and the other didn't.
The whole to the winner goes the spoils thing is at play here.

Defense, here's my problem with the whole situation in South Carolina.
If the people of South Carolina want it to stay, it should stay, if they want it removed, then take it down. It's that simple.
We don't live or vote there, and while it's fine for us to have an opinion one way or the other, it's really none of our business.

I'm the problem because you're too dense to understand something simple? Stop making idiotic assumptions and lumping people into a group that you disagree with. THAT is having a knee jerk reaction. What exactly is my knee jerk reaction? Who said I wanted something changed? I said nothing about the flag. I don't care if it's banned or not. I said nothing about doing something drastic in reaction to this, etc. I said the kid killed those people cause he hates black people. ISIS kills Americans cause they hate Americans. That is the analogy. Killing based on hate. Not based on a sickness or mental illness. I don't think people label ISIS as just being sick or mentally ill. Pure cop out. It's a little bigger than that, right? I'm tired of people saying that he didn't kill people based on hate and that he was "just messed up". That's it. That is what I said. Get it?

I'm fully aware that one is on a larger scale and involves and Army of folks as opposed to "this one kid". They both kill based on hate. Right? How many Americans have ISIS killed? Not sure, but I know this "one kid" has 9 on his list. Hard to just say "meh, he was sick and mentally ill, move on, what can ya do".

You don't like my opinion, that's fine. But to assume that I'm having a knee jerk reaction and that I am doing something specific that fits your thought of what "the problem is" is just dumb, pure and simple.

There are almost 1000 hate groups in the US alone. When was the last time any of their members went to a black church, sat through prayer meeting then got up and shot 9 victims? And you think its purely racism? Oh theres alot more here than racism. This kid might have been racist but he probably hated ALOT more than blacks, including society and himself. Look at his photos and take away the confederate flag and youve got a nut with a gun sitting in a flower garden. Hes a mass murderer for Gods sake, name me ONE mass murderer that wasnt mentally ill.

They are a business, they need to do what brings in the most customers. If it offends potential shoppers it offends their bank roll. Besides the free market can fill the void, if there's a large market for such it's an opportunity for someone else to make money.

Mega, what do you think people are thinking when they see someone wearing Slayer shirt?
Isn't stereotyping people supposed to be a bad thing?

They're probably thinking either: That guy has shitty taste in music; that guy likes Satan; that guy listens to heavy metal.

Any of the above I've heard before, had it said to my face and didn't care. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

th

Defense, here's my problem with the whole situation in South Carolina.
If the people of South Carolina want it to stay, it should stay, if they want it removed, then take it down. It's that simple.
We don't live or vote there, and while it's fine for us to have an opinion one way or the other, it's really none of our business.

I have no problem with that. The elected representatives there both Rs and Ds seem to have a fairly strong and unified voice in this matter to remove the flag. If the people of that state don't like their decision they can vote against them in the next election. Likewise the Governor of Alabama who elected to take down the flag by executive action, will also face scrutiny by his constituents.

I think in the end the overall good nature of folks will win.

Last edited:
They are a business, they need to do what brings in the most customers. If it offends potential shoppers it offends their bank roll. Besides the free market can fill the void, if there's a large market for such it's an opportunity for someone else to make money.

Profit is the bottom line motive for all corporate decisions in a market based economy as it should be. Sales numbers are important but company image also indirectly relates to overall profitability, so while companies will act to preserve sales, they will also act to protect and promote their image. In these situations, the decision makers have determined that the value to their image of discontinuing some of these products is more important than their incremental sales. This is similar to the decision by a large number of companies to discontinue advertising on Rush Limbaugh's program, due to some of the more insensitive and outrageous comments he has made at times.

Confederate flag sales up 3000%???? If I had a warehouse full of flags and a bunch of laying hens I could afford to retire!

When the 1st Amendment is mentioned in a Paddock thread, it is usually being misinterpreted. That being said, this is an exact example of the type of free speech our forefathers were trying to protect..

Umm, NO it is not. Not at at all. Indeed simply posting that suggests that you don't understand what the Constitution is. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with the First Amendment. Wal Mart is a private entity, not a state actor, it pull any product for whatever reason it wants.

And it had plenty reason for this move. That flag only exists because of slavery, it was created as part of the fight to preserve slavery, and it was resurrected a century later in the 1960s as part of the fight to deny equal civil rights to African Americans. It has ALWAYS represented the folks opposing the struggle to end slavery, oppression and racial discrimination.

Those who want to express their "Southern pride" should find another symbol for doing so, the one they've chosen is an outdated historical embarrassment.

Last edited:
Uk90, I agree Walmart has every right to remove the battle flag.
I doubt people quit flying the confederate flag, and all this will fake anger over it will cause even more people to fly it. I've seen it before, you try to people they can't do something and it backfires.

Umm, NO it is not. Not at at all. Indeed simply posting that suggests that you don't understand what the Constitution is. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with the First Amendment. Wal Mart is a private entity, not a state actor, it pull any product for whatever reason it wants.

And it had plenty reason for this move. That flag only exists because of slavery, it was created as part of the fight to preserve slavery, and it was resurrected a century later in the 1960s as part of the fight to deny equal civil rights to African Americans. It has ALWAYS represented the folks opposing the struggle to end slavery, oppression and racial discrimination.

Those who want to express their "Southern pride" should find another symbol for doing so, the one they've chosen is an outdated historical embarrassment.
I see you've reduced the Civil War to simply a war for, or against, slavery. I assume you're not much of a history buff.

I agree the flag is mostly used by rednecks to illustrate their "redneckness" today, but some of the reasons for war then are reasons I wouldn't mind for war now.

I honestly wish the south would have won and I'd assume modern machinery and human decency would have ended slavery, and common sense government may still have a place on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT