ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Michael Kay show today and they said....

the fact that Arkansas has a NIL program set up with Tyson and Walmart behind them to pay...
the fact Kentucky does not have an NIL program and Cal has to recruit.....
now he has people building his team for him....
is the biggest factors in why he left....
We have the capacity to do just as well in NIL and will. They're paying Cal less per year despite all of that money coming from those mega corps.

See I am hoping that’s not the narrative that starts to get used. That somehow it proves Arkansas is a better program because Cal left voluntarily, so there must be a rational reason Arkansas is better than Kentucky. And Cal is very good at subtly shaping the narrative. It is one worry of mine even though I don’t think he’ll do well.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I thought the same thing.... why in the efff did Cal not set up a program?
is that not his job?
i would think that is A #1 in the world of NIL

Reactions: catben
the fact that Arkansas has a NIL program set up with Tyson and Walmart behind them to pay...
Did they forget to mention that Cal pissed off all UK's big money donors years ago. Plus Cal and his staff fell asleep at the wheel on several NIL deals for players and basically screwed some players out of money.

Cal had no problem getting the best players even without nil money

Cal, he isolated himself and pissed off our big donors.
Yup, Cal had total control of the program, it’s his fault he pissed the boosters off and then did nothing to get it going himself. He was the leader, even Beisner said it was his dream job(which I believe) and he left for a position at UNC because of how unprofessional and erratic our NIL setup was.

Last edited:
We had the #1 class last year. We had a fifth year transfer average 20 and make the All-American team. We had two top ten picks who didn't even start.

NIL helps with talent. Talent wasn't the problem.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
It’s been known for a while that our NIL is lagging. Serious question, whose fault is that?
Yeah, we know whose fault it is, Calipari's fault. Now, he would say it's a lack of support from boosters, and that is also true. But I bet we're about to find out that the boosters were just refusing to support Cal when they start giving over and above for the next coach.

... Cal left because he had been exposed so badly that he couldn't find anywhere to hide. He thought he pooped ice cream. Clown.

I thought the same thing.... why in the efff did Cal not set up a program?
is that not his job?
i would think that is A #1 in the world of NIL
No, setting up an NIL program was not his job. Just like it will not be the next coaches job.

Guarantee it is why he left, but there's no denying his laziness, stubbornness, arrogance, and poor coaching is a greater part of the same package of factors.

If he didn't alienate EVERYONE that could/would have funded NIL, INSULT the fanbase, kill rivalries and refuse to play better schedules, and keep saying that "X doesn't matter, but Y does" when he's just failed at "X" then he wouldn't have ANYTHING to use as an excuse.

He backed himself into these corners and NO ONE was buying his bullsht anymore.

At some point, Bernie Mddoff had to make good on his promises at the expense of those that had just bought in without knowing what was going on beforehand. The momentum of investments after the 2012-2015 run had begun to run dry. All he had left was "the NBA draft" and his turnstile role in "ending generational poverty" was being exposed more and more.

The goal was the title for him. Not for UK or anything related to the program, but to redeem him from the vacated FFs and reinforce his brand. Nothing else mattered. 8M can manufacture a lot of smiles, but only for so long when the shine wears off.

The title was TWELVE YEARS AGO. 2015 was NINE YEARS AGO. To the sophomores and juniors in high school, that 2012 is ancient history they never experienced EXCEPT if they lived in KY. There's no more credit issued on that

Cal has ALWAYS had other people building (and or coaching) his team for him. We shouldn't gloss over that fact either. He's the sales manager. The closer. But he's had a lot of help.

He could do really well at Arkansas. He still has to address all the things that he failed to do here. That's what happens when you don't accept responsibility at the time. It just keeps snowballing behind you til it catches up to you.

Reactions: Ugoff
NIL in not the coach's job. The coach is not suppose deal with nil at all. But Cal alienated the supporters.
The idiotic fans have ruined this program. That’s one of the reasons other top coaches have declined this job. That’s how we ended up with BCG prior to Cal.

I mean, honestly, it was some of the reason. Cal burned too many bridges.

He left because he had Barney's nuts dragged across his face, knew the fanbase was over his bs, and k ew he probably would flop again and get canned for the first time since the Nets which he brings up like every day, just like he did today in his intro to Ark.

Cal left because he didn't like it that we didn't like it that he could.not.win.

Honestly he probably really could have used more NIL money and facilities. Mitch is a pretty crappy AD. But Cal failed way way more than NIL or facilities could ever explain.

Reactions: catben
The money man JC hated Cal. Now that his dumbass is gone JC came waving the bag around. He probably saved plenty not giving it to help Cal now we can really shoot for it 😊

Reactions: csrupp
Cal didn’t have NIL here because he’s an egotistical douche bag and burnt bridges with all the UK boosters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT