ADVERTISEMENT

Big Z gone ?

Feb 4, 2004
Big Z is going to be able to receive huge NIL money as a result of international markets from Major donors. Walmart and especially Tyson was huge operations all over the world. Cal has long wanted to get players from Europe, China Australia and Africa.

This will be huge for Cal getting 20-year-olds and unlimited NIL from Overseas branding! He will no longer have to recruit just freshman.

Big Z came to play for Cal and inexplicably got fewer minutes than Bradshaw. There's no way he should think about transferring to Arkansas when he's been gifted a new coach who

A) was a center and should be able to develop him well;
B) will play the best lineup regardless of who they are;
C) emphasizes the importance of a skilled, shooting, passing big man (that is LITERALLY Big Z); and
D) is willing to play zone.

Z would be unstoppable. He's an excellent passer, he can shoot, he can drive, he's athletic, and he needs some polish. Pope can shine Z right up.

Big Z is going to be able to receive huge NIL money as a result of international markets from Major donors. Walmart and especially Tyson was huge operations all over the world. Cal has long wanted to get players from Europe, China Australia and Africa.

This will be huge for Cal getting 20-year-olds and unlimited NIL from Overseas branding! He will no longer have to recruit just freshman.

Cal largely recruited freshmen because he wanted to, not because he had to. NIL was a concern because of all the bridges he burned with the fans and donors, but anytime he had a stack of cash to give to whoever he wants it was almost always going to freshmen.

He said it himself recently. Stack elite freshmen talent, fill holes with portal. That’s not how you do it in 2024. You stack with returning talent and the portal, and fill holes with freshmen.

Troll

Big Z came to play for Cal and inexplicably got fewer minutes than Bradshaw. There's no way he should think about transferring to Arkansas when he's been gifted a new coach who

C) emphasizes the importance of a skilled, shooting, passing big man (that is LITERALLY Big Z); and

Z would be unstoppable. He's an excellent passer, he can shoot, he can drive, he's athletic, and he needs some polish. Pope can shine Z right up.
Excellent post

From a development standpoint you’re right. Pope is best for his growth. Unfortunately, his emotions and loyalty may get the best of him. He’s still a kid. It will be interesting to see if he has the maturity to think this through logically.

From a development standpoint you’re right. Pope is best for his growth. Unfortunately, his emotions and loyalty may get the best of him. He’s still a kid. It will be interesting to see if he has the maturity to think this through logically.
I think he'd already be in the portal or transferred if he was going to act on emotion and loyalty. At the very least, the fact that he's still here suggests he's willing to hear Pope out... Hopefully about half an hour after he lands in Lexington (whenever that is. I dunno. Another two hours?).

Z also needs to make sure he doesn't dip his hands in butter before an NCAA Tournament game. Seeing how rattled he was on the court--guy was fumbling passes/rebounds, etc...due to nerves. Pope's offensive approach actually fits Z better than Cal--specifically without Welch around--but we know how the relationships work and Chuck Martin had big part in getting Big Z to Lexington.

Z is our 2nd most important player to retain, maybe even to add
In this offense I could see him go for 16,9,4,3

Lexington is the only US home he has known. Hopefully that helps. Having some teammates return should help too. If Ulis could be retained that would help too.

IF, IF, IF Big-Z doesn't at least have a conversation with and listen to Pope (assuming Pope has interest) before making a final decision, he may be too dumb to stay at Kentucky..............

All Cal players can hit the road.

Sheppard is the one and only. He’s a UK player, not a Cal guy.

Clips I watched of BYU this past year, the 5 initiated 90% of their half-court offense. The decision maker as to who got the shot. If Big Z were shown the same clips I watched, I'm sure the recruitment would become much easier

After seeing Pope's Off and understanding that it's perfectly right up his alley, he HAS to realize Cal won't showcase his game, whereas he can be a star in Pope's, IMO. I believe Z would thrive under Pope's Off. Choice is his. I believe the people that have gotten him to this point can't be thrilled with how Cal used him and will make the right decision.

Reactions: jwphelps
Z said on IG live he was going home to croatia when school was over
What's that mean for this situation? Like, is he gone for good or what? If he's just leaving for the summer, it's critical that Pope build as much of a relationship with him as possible.

Big Z is the perfect Kentucky player for Pope. Hope he stays. Reed is gone. I think they are all gone for the most part

I would find it hard to believe that Pope doesn't have a meeting with Big Z today. Pope is no dummy, Big Z is an absolute perfect big guy for his system. I'm sure Pope will give his best sells pitch to Big Z. Hopefully Z will realize this is the perfect offense for him.

I have no idea if Z will stay here but I would think it's a decent chance at least.

Arkansas fans usually have little reason to visit UK boards, I guess they are under an illusion that they stole our beloved coach...or something.
It’s truly comical watching them gloat lol! We’re happy Hawg fans! Compared to Muss last 4 years, Cal is a downgrade

Reactions: UKCats24

Man are wrong about that. He was 3 going on 4 when calipari was hired. All the kid knows is Calipari. Dude is his hero. Doubtful he’s coming back. He loves Kentucky too much to go to arky. But he’s not playing for another coach. .why Z is a more important player to focus on right now. Because he can actually increase his draft stock.

• Haha
Reactions: trueblujr2
I do believe that Mark would use Z's gifts much more so than Cal, just to be clear. I do not think Cal used him properly. The only point thar I am making is that Cal has a way of getting Nil to international players much easier than UK. I absolutely believe that Z's passing and shooting will be highlighted in Pope's offensive.

If it comes down to his future and Mark gets to talk to him and if some of last years team stays, we have a chance. If it is about easy money, then....

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought F1 student visas greatly prevent Big Z from collecting NIL benefits. I believe active (most common type) NIL arrangements are expressly prohibited, while passive (and I presume less common/less lucrative) NIL opportunities are somewhat limited in their use. I know very little about this stuff, so any enlightening is appreciated. If my understanding is correct, it seems Big Z would make more money playing outside the NCAA in any professional league willing to throw some money at him.

Reactions: 1war

That’ll be awesome for cal ! Damn shame though, all that talent and can’t coach 🤔

In Pope's offense Big Z could possibly be an All American. Sheppard could be Player of the Year. I was dumbfounded when I heard Pope was getting the job but after I studied up on him I'm stoked for next year. People are concerned that he can't recruit elite talent, but he will bring in better talent than what he got to BYU without the restrictions of Mormon schools. He's known as a good X and O coach and how many times did good X and O coaches without elite talent beat our top recruiting coach and his elite talent? Pope is all about KENTUCKY too, how refreshing.

Pastor Bob, pastor Bob, pastor bob.....

Shouldn't you be preparing your sermon for tomorrow??

Hopefully it will be much better than your post.

God Bless.

Reactions: Cat in ga
Man are wrong about that. He was 3 going on 4 when calipari was hired. All the kid knows is Calipari. Dude is his hero. Doubtful he’s coming back. He loves Kentucky too much to go to arky. But he’s not playing for another coach. .why Z is a more important player to focus on right now. Because he can actually increase his draft stock.
Not saying Shep is coming back, but he’s likely the only one who would consider it.

It would seem that anyone that wants to stay is a Kentucky player to me.

Being over Calipari is one thing but dumping on the players he brought is irrational, totally unjustified, super petty, and just weapons grade stupid too.

Key for big z to stay I think depends on reed read somewhere they were good friends in my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT