ADVERTISEMENT

The Sacramento Kings reaching out to Cal.

Another week, another Cal story/rumor. It is interesting that they would let him take total control. Has to be appealing. Boogie and WCS are there. Obviously, I don't think he will go, but it probably the most intriguing offer he has gotten since being at UK..

Last edited:
Why in the hell did they hire George Karl, mid season, to a 4 year contract then? God the NBA is stupid.

I don't think Cal would want to deal with the cluster bang that is the Kings ownership right now.

He turned down a similar offer with Lebron and the Cavs. Why take this one? Anything can happen, I just don't see it.

Why in the hell did they hire George Karl, mid season, to a 4 year contract then? God the NBA is stupid.

I don't think Cal would want to deal with the cluster bang that is the Kings ownership right now.

Because George Karl wants to trade Boogie but the front office disagrees.

Now they're left deciding between the Head coach and the star player..which it seems like they're choosing Boogie, which is smart.

Reactions: wentzel25
Boogie wants to win. He will not do that in Sac. Cal won't go there just to see Cousins leave either now or in a few years.

For some reason, this one worries more than any since Cal has been here. I suppose the Cavs would have worried me last year, but we didn't know about it until afterword. Lots would need to happen first though. I don't think he'll go, but the possibility of Boogie and Bledsoe (not to mention Willie) might intrigue Cal.

For some reason, this one worries more than any since Cal has been here. I suppose the Cavs would have worried me last year, but we didn't know about it until afterword. Lots would need to happen first though. I don't think he'll go, but the possibility of Boogie and Bledsoe (not to mention Willie) might intrigue Cal.
I have to agree with you on this one. It is obviously not the sexiest head coaching position, but with Boogie there, WCS there, with the potential of Bledsoe coming, it becomes more desirable for Cal. Not to mention he would have total control and they would pay him what he wanted. Free agents would then want to come play in Sacramento. Like I said, I don't think he goes, but this one seems like the most legit offer he has received as far as total control/former players there.

I still think he will never be able to answer the one question that he asks himself about a pro coaching job. Can I make a difference there like I'm doing now? I think he makes more of a difference in the college scene which is why he stays.

I think this is something the kings have been wanting. Drafting Willie and going after Bledsoe. Not to mention adding Liggins to the summer league.

In the article it says that some of the things they have been talking to Cal about is how to best handle Cousins, as well as the issue of their drafting WCS. Cal talks to NBA teams all the time, so this could be nothing more than that. He has always listened to these pitches and has yet to bite, so this shouldn't be any different.

I still think he will never be able to answer the one question that he asks himself about a pro coaching job. Can I make a difference there like I'm doing now? I think he makes more of a difference in the college scene which is why he stays.

Cal is as competitive as they get and the fact he failed in the NBA has to eat at him. He will eventually go to the NBA imo. Not sure when and to whom, but it will happen I believe.

I believe it would take the perfect situation for Cal to leave. He is far more acquainted with the issues of coaching in the NBA, the fact that coaches get all the blame and little of the credit, superstars can get them fired, players come and go, not to mention the fact that Sacramento is not exactly on the brink of making a serious run. Nothing about this screams "worry", but who knows. I guess we will just wait for a tweet from Cal saying he's staying put.

Reactions: JulesCamara=GOD
Move to Sactown? No thank you. The NBA is a business, like any professional sports organization, there are coaches who go on to succeed in the pros and those that don't. I love Cal and I think he is perfect for the college game. He can coach these kids like crazy and we have seen them develop and know Cal develops talent. He inspires his teams to play together and sacrifice for one another. The only teams that pop out at me as teams that play like this are the Spurs and Golden State. Excellently run organizations from the top down. Other than that, every other team is about numbers, cap space, trades, and all the other bullshit that comes with dealing with a business. The name of the game in the pros is if its not working use another widget and see if it fits.

Look at Bledsoe, I expected him to remain with Phoenix as a centerpiece to the team after the contract he signed. Why are the suns now soooo interested in moving him now that they will probably sign (if it hasn't happened already) Knight to a long term deal. What changed?? What happened in the last year to completely give up on Bledsoe? Sure Cal is great at putting together teams and getting them to play great basketball...but can he inspire that same hunger out of pro players? Who knows? But an organization like Sacramento, that has been the poster child for instability, is the worst scenario I can think of for Cal to join.

The answer to getting Cal isn't just acquiring as many UK players as they can...as much as I'd love to see those guys together, this is a business.

Because George Karl wants to trade Boogie but the front office disagrees.

Now they're left deciding between the Head coach and the star player..which it seems like they're choosing Boogie, which is smart.

Right, I get that. But you would think they'd hire a coach who wanted to work with Cousins. I believe Karl had some unflattering things to say about Cousins before he became the coach. So did Karl lie and is now trying to hijack the team? Did ownership do absolutely no due diligence? Were they all on the same page and it went sour fast? Again, the NBA is stupid sometimes.

I'm not so sure how much the appeal would be to coach former players...especially in Cal's situation. If you're a coach with a player or two in the NBA, perhaps. But when you have as many as Cal, I think it would be difficult to take a job just on the lure of coaching a couple of former players. What about all the other players? Would he feel that he's playing favorites? Would he want to coach against Davis, Wall, Patterson, etc? I think it would be much easier to continue to have the best coaching job in college basketball...helping more and more young men realize their dreams to play in the NBA. Of course, I could be way off base...but that's how I would feel.

When Popovich retires and the Spurs come calling then I may be worried, but you never know.

Every one of these rumors is suddenly "the most concerning one" to our fans until it's not.

Remember the Knicks? Cavs? Pelicans? Bulls? If he wouldn't leave to coach DRose or AD on a playoff team, I'll be surprised as all hell if he leaves to go fail in Sacramento.

Everyone talks about this itch to get back to the NBA and prove himself. Fine. But if that's the case, when he's talked about not wanting to do this until he dies, then he's not going back to the NBA for a situation that's abysmal and five years away from being anything.

If he leaves, it's for a sure thing with this kind of control and money. The Kings only have half of the equation it'll take.

Reactions: Clive Gollings
Right, I get that. But you would think they'd hire a coach who wanted to work with Cousins. I believe Karl had some unflattering things to say about Cousins before he became the coach. So did Karl lie and is now trying to hijack the team? Did ownership do absolutely no due diligence? Were they all on the same page and it went sour fast? Again, the NBA is stupid sometimes.

I read last week where many in the front office was telling the owner of the Kings not to hire Karl, but he did anyway. Got the impression that he's very difficult to get along with.

Cal is as competitive as they get and the fact he failed in the NBA has to eat at him. He will eventually go to the NBA imo. Not sure when and to whom, but it will happen I believe.

If he is still coaching years from now, he might take another whack at it. But I like our odds for now.

I read last week where many in the front office was telling the owner of the Kings not to hire Karl, but he did anyway. Got the impression that he's very difficult to get along with.

Yeah, the owner is new and well... Looking to put his stamp on things. Stupid. The NBA is stupid. Cal should not go there.

To be honest, as good as Kentucky has been to Cal, if he decides to go to Sacramento, then so be it. I'd like to see him stay and win a couple more titles and put us out in front of Duke in what time he has been here. I hate to see him go but we just would have to move on and really get one hell of a coach and not expect him to be Cal. I think and hope like crazy that Cal stays.

I think this is something the kings have been wanting. Drafting Willie and going after Bledsoe. Not to mention adding Liggins to the summer league.

Cal would not leave his current players for the sole opportunity just to coach ex players. Cal would have to be enticed with the opportunity to contend for a title and Sacramento is not a good job. And although I love those players dearly... they (minus Cousins) are not going to help that team come anywhere close to a championship.

I honestly think he retires at UK.

Last edited:
I'm not saying he wouldn't leave for JUST the right opportunity. But Sacremento? I find that HIGHLY unlikely. I was more worried about Cleveland and New Orleans than Sacremento.

Hope this is just another "Cal to the NBA article", however, I don't like the fact that he's been talking to them. This one worries me.

Hope this is just another "Cal to the NBA article", however, I don't like the fact that he's been talking to them. This one worries me.

Seriously? Cal talks to teams all the time. During our season even. The article said they were asking him about how to handle Cousins, as well as the offer. If you are worried every time to he talks to an NBA team, then you will be worried every day he is here.

Cal's not going anywhere, but smart for Kings to try. He won't leave these kids right now. Especially after landing Murray. Sports world would make a mockery of his, 'I'm about these kids.' He'd never recover publicly.

I have the opposite reaction. This one doesn't worry me at all. We shall see.

He's not competitive. He doesn't care about winning but rather getting guys drafted. That is at least the opinion of some media and a portion of our own fans.

ADVERTISEMENT