ADVERTISEMENT

The Sacramento Kings reaching out to Cal.

Lol Coach cal is like wtf, every time when a nba jobs opens up RP, and Bill Self spread rumors about cal wanted to go the NBA.

No. Cal is a master communicator. Had that been the only tweet, it couldve easily meant that. But I hadnt read all of Cal's tweets, only read the one posted here. Reading them all, its a full and complete denial.
You know what's going to happen don't you? One of these days, another one of these rumors is going to pop up while Coach is on vacation or something, and when he doesn't immediately issue a denial, this place is going to go absolutely insane with worry.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Because they didn't then that Karl and Cousins would blend like oil and water.

The Kings' interest in Cal is all about pleasing Boogie. They're looking for a way to convince Cousins not to leave when he becomes a free agent. Boogie hates Karl, Boogie loves Cal, so they figure maybe that's the way. Seems like star-caliber players virtually run their franchises nowadays with the way teams will bend over backwards to please and keep them.

I get the second part, but it seems everyone on earth knew that Karl and Cousins would never work together... Except Vivek. If I were Vivek I'd sue Karl for entering a contract under false pretenses.

so basically he's turned down the warriors, cavs, pelicans, knicks, thunder, bulls, and lakers... am I missing any? But hell, the Kings are the team we should be worried about... oh yeah... sure. (DWS)

It would be tempting for Cal to coach a couple of his former players but I think he would be crazy to take the Kings job. He would probably win nearly as many games at UK this season than with the Kings.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Cal tells these teams to throw his name out there just so he can turn them down and stay in the media spotlight. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there is genuine interest from the NBA teams wanting Cal, but I guarantee he doesn't tell them to keep it hush hush, and when stories like this break, he goes right to social media to shoot them down. Genius marketing in my opinion. Also makes UK open up the check book as well.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Cal tells these teams to throw his name out there just so he can turn them down and stay in the media spotlight. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there is genuine interest from the NBA teams wanting Cal, but I guarantee he doesn't tell them to keep it hush hush, and when stories like this break, he goes right to social media to shoot them down. Genius marketing in my opinion. Also makes UK open up the check book as well.

You're partially right. Cal isn't doing this but his agent is. His agent is the one fielding these calls/throwing his name out there. The last one got Cal a big raise and coincidentally his agent got a raise too. I'm guessing the Kings did the calling here since total control is in the mix. Look like Cal has shot this one down already so my guess would be the media leak came from the Kings.

After Cal's comments this summer, I really believe if he were to leave UK for the NBA, it wouldn't be a coaching job but a Phil Jackson type job. Cal seems to be an East Coast type of guy so the Kings job doesn't concern me too much.

Reactions: MWes11
Yes, seriously, and I've never given any stock to the NBA rumors prior to this one. When there's talking behind the scenes there had to be something to the rumors. Even though we landed Murray I'm wondering if some of this didn't leak out which cost us some more recruits.

lol...smh. Did you not see the tweets Cal posted above??

lol...smh. Did you not see the tweets Cal posted above??

For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position. Since he bought the team, Vivek Ranadive and I have talked on and off about DeMarcus Cousins. Vivek has asked me what I thought about DeMarcus and I told him he would be an all-star, and I was right. In the last two weeks, we’ve also talked a bunch about the draft and on draft day, obviously because of Willie Cauley-Stein. At no time has Vivek offered me a job. I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY. - Coach Cal

The NBA. Lol. Dumbest league in the history of sports. How anyone can defend that putrid league anymore I just SMDH. the only reason players what in so bad is the business aspect, it sure ain't the sport.

Cal would be a fool to go to the "10 second Tom" league. It's all entertainment now. It's crap.anythjng he would win there would be meaningless. Who won this year again? A California team not the lakers?

Next.

Why is anyone hating on Wojo?

He's the best in the business. He's not trying to stir things up. The Kings talked to Cal. His column says no offer was made. Cal said no offer was made. The end.

Reactions: MWes11
I agree that Cal isn't going anywhere at this point.

But if he did, I doubt Murray has signed any LOI, so he could freely change schools without sitting out any.

At some point though, Cal WILL leave. It may be to another job, it may be to retire, it may be within the next 12 months, it may be 5 years away. We don't know! But presumably, whenever that happens, the new coach will likely be left with a full cupboard, and a 1 year chance to prove he can coach a very talented group of players.

The NBA. Lol. Dumbest league in the history of sports. How anyone can defend that putrid league anymore I just SMDH. the only reason players what in so bad is the business aspect, it sure ain't the sport.

Cal would be a fool to go to the "10 second Tom" league. It's all entertainment now. It's crap.anythjng he would win there would be meaningless. Who won this year again? A California team not the lakers?

Next.
635515967163120478318194316_michaelscott.gif

Haha you think our Cats that got drafted this year, and all of the others since Cal has been here, are only joining the NBA because they want to be part of the business aspect? According to you, they don't really give a toss about the game they love, just the exclusivity of joining the NBA business aspect. Doesn't make sense at all. Also, the NBA is more popular now than it has been since 1998 when Jordan was giving it to Karl Malone and the Jazz. Pretty sure Steve Kerr doesn't think that championship that he just won is, "meaningless". And are you making fun of the Warriors because they won a championship in a small market? Spurs say hello.

I don't have much use for anyone that hates the NBA. The product right now is as good as it's ever been since I started watching in the early 90s when Jordan ruled. Tons of stars with crazy talent and several teams that are just a joy to watch, Golden State being one.
I'm glad someone is with me here. NH

Haha you think our Cats that got drafted this year are only joining the NBA because they want to be part of the business aspect? They don't really give a toss about the game they love, just the exclusivity of joining the NBA business aspect. Doesn't make sense at all. Also, the NBA is more popular now than it has been since 1998 when Jordan was giving it to Karl Malone and the Jazz. Pretty sure Steve Kerr doesn't think that championship that he just won is, "meaningless". And are you making fun of the Warriors because they won a championship in a small market? Spurs say hello.

No I love small markets. Im a die hard st. louis cards fan. We win better than just about anyone and do it inside of a smaller market. Golden State is a no name small market. No one cares.

If the NBA is more popular today than it was in the 80's and 90's, I'm not seeing it. But hey, whatever.

Yea I think lots of these players are counting dollars, not enjoying the "league they love". Which is fine, I'd count too of course. Although you did make it sound very elegant "the game they LOVE!" Nice touch. So now its about the game they love, but when we must pump sunshine when they leave, it's all about the money and how dare we!

Don't know man, I'm not convinced. But I'm not a huge NBA guy at all, and never have been. I've always been more about UK, college hoops, and probably MLB. I also think the NFl is tiresome and extremely overrated. OH GOD, HE DIDNT JUST SAY THAT!

:uzi:[smoke]

I don't have much use for anyone that hates the NBA. The product right now is as good as it's ever been since I started watching in the early 90s when Jordan ruled. Tons of stars with crazy talent and several teams that are just a joy to watch, Golden State being one.

I don't have much use for people who actually like the crap that the NBA produces right now.

We're even spearS. [sick]

No I love small markets. Im a die hard st. louis cards fan. We win better than just about anyone and do it inside of a smaller market. Golden State is a no name small market. No one cares.

If the NBA is more popular today than it was in the 80's and 90's, I'm not seeing it. But hey, whatever.

Yea I think lots of these players are counting dollars, not enjoying the "league they love". Which is fine, I'd count too of course. Although you did make it sound very elegant "the game they LOVE!" Nice touch. So now its about the game they love, but when we must pump sunshine when they leave, it's all about the money and how dare we!

Don't know man, I'm not convinced. But I'm not a huge NBA guy at all, and never have been. I've always been more about UK, college hoops, and probably MLB. I also think the NFl is tiresome and extremely overrated. OH GOD, HE DIDNT JUST SAY THAT!

:uzi:[smoke]
Haha hey man, to each their own. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't lie when it comes to popularity/ratings. UK bball is my #1, but I also respect pro sports and the best athletes in the world.

[laughing]

actually got a little chuckle out of me.

I assume you're one of those folks that long for the days of old. Would rather see overweight Jordan, bloated Magic, Bird and his broken knees out there playing in slow motion right now than watch the poetic beauty that is the Warriors, Spurs, and Hawks...

HA!

I'm 29. I just think the basketball was better for whatever reason from 80's - early 2'000's. I find it hilarious when someone mentions players like Andrew Bogut when referencing current NBA stud bigs. Things like this have shaped my thinking. I don't want overweight players lol, but it would be nice to see a current player BESIDES Lebron James and Tim Duncan be on the level of some of those 80's through Early 2,000's players. Although I do love Dirk Nowitzki.

Haven't you said before that you can only watch the NBA as long as you are betting on it? could have swore?

You know what's going to happen don't you? One of these days, another one of these rumors is going to pop up while Coach is on vacation or something, and when he doesn't immediately issue a denial, this place is going to go absolutely insane with worry.

Its already happened the last few times; and that's with him issuing denials almost immediately lol. If he ever doesn't issue one ASAP, itll be absolute bedlam on here.

But if he did, I doubt Murray has signed any LOI, so he could freely change schools without sitting out any.

At some point though, Cal WILL leave. It may be to another job, it may be to retire, it may be within the next 12 months, it may be 5 years away. We don't know! But presumably, whenever that happens, the new coach will likely be left with a full cupboard, and a 1 year chance to prove he can coach a very talented group of players.
I doubt that. When Cal leaves, I'd willing to bet that we will see a mass departure of players to the league, whether they are ready or not.

I hope not but...

Its already happened the last few times; and that's with him issuing denials almost immediately lol. If he ever doesn't issue one ASAP, itll be absolute bedlam on here.

Well, when he himself comes out and says he was in deep talks with Cleveland and was leaving except for a few returning players, which he usually doesn't have, then I'd say people would have a right to be worried.

I'm not worried about those that understand he could leave and worry about it. I'm more worried about our resident 5 to 10 shiners that are going to start drinking demon cool aide and smoking the devils lettuce if he did leave.

well Bogut certainly is no "stud". He's a very good defender and that's about it. If you're talking to someone that thinks that then it would appear to me that the problem is you're talking to the wrong people.

I used to only be able to watch NBA games when I had a bet on it. I don't really bet anymore, but through that process I began watching more ball. It's enjoyable to see the best players on the planet doing what they do best. Best passers, best ball handlers, best shooters, etc. The game has really gotten better in the last 3-4 years as well.

Yea I still have that gambling issue with sports. Didn't realize you dropped the habit.

and @.S&C. , I would've bet a nickel you were closer to 50+ than 29 haha. Don't know why I thought that. Hell, I'm older than you.

29 man. Gimme a mom, a pack of skittles, and some Ken Griffey Jr. baseball on super nintendo I swear I'll call it a day.

Even if he has signed a LOI, he could easily ask out of it and would be granted. Same for the rest of the incoming freshman. Im not sure I agree with the full cupboard comment. Players come here because of Cal and his ability to get them to their goals quickly. They don't come here for the tradition anymore. I'd like to think that any incoming player would stay to at least see who the next hire would be but I fear that when Cal leaves, his recruits leave. Hopefully his replacement is a worthy recruiter like a Miller from Zona that can keep them here.

never really was a "habit". I just decided out of boredom one day that I would start betting on some games and see if I could make some easy money. I started with a $5 bet and ran my account up to $50 before the UK/UL football game in 2013. I think UL was only a 14 point favorite and I hammered that with a quickness as soon as the line came out. Bet all $50 on UL to cover. Think they won by 17 without going back to look. From there it turned into a bunch of $5 bets... parlays, teasing, etc. Eventually won enough to get the account up near $300 through the middle of the NBA season. After the All-Star break I started losing all the time and eventually lost it all haha. Figured then it was time to quit. It's almost impossible to come out ahead long term betting sports.

Right. Yea man coming out ahead is really hard to do unless you're a total professional, and even then, the stories of those guy losing everything is around every corner. It's just the nature of it.

I've backed off somewhat due to my autograph habit. My father was in the Auto hobby since the 50's and I've been addicted to them since childhood. With that, it makes it difficult to bet. Although I've been doing a lot more in person events and TTM's for my autos which always makes it cheaper but placement isn't nearly as good.

But I wish I could give up all together on gambling in sports or soft bet like you seemed to have under control.

Next.

I will admit- the playoffs are fun to watch. And some games are incredible. The amount of talent from some of these athletes. Following UK players is fun...

But I see what you are saying

Reactions: .S&C.
Glad Cal told everyone to STFU so early again. Won't stop ESPN from hyping it up, babbling about it but good for Cal. Cal is more loyal than some give him credit for. He has had some good job opportunities if you believe the rumors over the last 6 years, but has stayed with UK.

Reactions: TommyDevito
never really was a "habit". I just decided out of boredom one day that I would start betting on some games and see if I could make some easy money. I started with a $5 bet and ran my account up to $50 before the UK/UL football game in 2013. I think UL was only a 14 point favorite and I hammered that with a quickness as soon as the line came out. Bet all $50 on UL to cover. Think they won by 17 without going back to look. From there it turned into a bunch of $5 bets... parlays, teasing, etc. Eventually won enough to get the account up near $300 through the middle of the NBA season. After the All-Star break I started losing all the time and eventually lost it all haha. Figured then it was time to quit. It's almost impossible to come out ahead long term betting sports.

Perfect example is a scene in the gritty film The Gambler with James Caan. He's got a ton of money on a team to win. Sitting in a bathtub listening to it on the radio. His team is up and it looks like a sure win, but the other team pulls out a win at the buzzer and he loses it all. His reaction to this crushing loss is great. Anybody that thinks they can beat sports gambling long-term is nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT