ADVERTISEMENT

The Sacramento Kings reaching out to Cal.

The only NBA coaches that make more than him right now are Popovich, Van Gundy, Doc Rivers, and Flip Saunders. Sacramento would be going WAY out on a limb to give him an offer that would be worth it for him, and even then, is Sacremento where he would want to coach if he came back to the NBA? I really just don't see it.

I can't link twitter but.. "For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position." - Calipari

He's had better situations than this to leave for and he's still here, so need to worry imo.

I can't link twitter but.. "For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position." - Calipari

Not that I think he'll take it. But I do find it interesting Cal put a huge emphasis on the term "coaching job". I dont recall that in previous denials. Could it be hes discussing a front office job only?

Man, does anybody handle rumors better than Calipari? Dude is a master at just obliterating them before they have time to grow.

He didn't HAVE to say anything...but he did...and he crushed it.

Maybe the most emphatic he's slammed the door on the rumors.

Of course, everyone will say "HE SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT MEMPHIS, IT'S JUST COACHING SPEAK!"

Timing right after momentum shifts to the cats. Yawn adrian, yawn.

Lmao at cal tweet. Lmao at woj still fighting the good fight.

Seriously? Cal talks to teams all the time. During our season even. The article said they were asking him about how to handle Cousins, as well as the offer. If you are worried every time to he talks to an NBA team, then you will be worried every day he is here.
Yes, seriously, and I've never given any stock to the NBA rumors prior to this one. When there's talking behind the scenes there had to be something to the rumors. Even though we landed Murray I'm wondering if some of this didn't leak out which cost us some more recruits.

Very fast, and very definitive response. No coach speak, no "I like my job and have no plans to go elsewhere." "I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY."

For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position. Since he bought the team, Vivek Ranadive and I have talked on and off about DeMarcus Cousins. Vivek has asked me what I thought about DeMarcus and I told him he would be an all-star, and I was right. In the last two weeks, we’ve also talked a bunch about the draft and on draft day, obviously because of Willie Cauley-Stein. At no time has Vivek offered me a job. I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY. - Coach Cal

Chillax people...lol

He talked to Sac because he is friends with the owner. The owner has been to UK games and sat in Cal's seats.

For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position. Since he bought the team, Vivek Ranadive and I have talked on and off about DeMarcus Cousins. Vivek has asked me what I thought about DeMarcus and I told him he would be an all-star, and I was right. In the last two weeks, we’ve also talked a bunch about the draft and on draft day, obviously because of Willie Cauley-Stein. At no time has Vivek offered me a job. I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY. - Coach Cal

Chillax people...lol
Yeah but why doesn't he just deny it??!! :chairshot:

Somehow someone somewhere will pick Cals word apart and still won't be satisfied

If you posted here that you were worried or tried to somehow rationalize this one as a concern, please sit the next one out when these rumors pop up again.

Not that I think he'll take it. But I do find it interesting Cal put a huge emphasis on the term "coaching job". I dont recall that in previous denials. Could it be hes discussing a front office job only?
Good freakin' grief. Where do you people come from?

[roll]

Sacramento is an absolute dumpster fire. They could fill out the roster with all UK / Cal guys and Cal still wouldn't do it.

Meddling ownership + a puppet GM = a perpetual coaching carousel.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Yeah but why doesn't he just deny it??!! :chairshot:

Yeah, I for one have no problem believing that UK IS the best bball job in the world and I believe Cal is smart enough to recognize that. Shouldn't all us as true UK fans think that about our program as well?

Like I've said before I believe Cal retires here despite what KSR stirs up within the base.

You have to admit that the I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY has left him quite a bit of wriggle room. Why can't he just be direct?

He didn't say "UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY" I notice.

Isn't the NKU job open? How about Murray State? That also doesn't rule out being AT KENTUCKY but coaching Sacramento remotely, through a video feed. Just Cal being cagey again, I guess.

Patty Forde retweeted Wojarnoski's tweet. He prays every night that Cal leaves, so the beatdown's of his butt buddy Pitino will stop.

Lololol that's hilarious. Seriously, Forde has a mental problem. I wanna get Twitter just to troll him.

You have to admit that the I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY has left him quite a bit of wriggle room. Why can't he just be direct?

He didn't say "UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY" I notice.

Isn't the NKU job open? How about Murray State? That also doesn't rule out being AT KENTUCKY but coaching Sacramento remotely, through a video feed. Just Cal being cagey again, I guess.

I see what you did there.

From his response, he shut their water off pretty quick.

While it will cause some stomach upset, we really want him in a position of demand. It means he's still at the top of most short lists, meaning he is performing and providing high value. It also means he's in close contact with the NBA and represents a good conduit for high quality athletes.

That situation is a bit of a mess there. To the extent he can, I hope he has good advice for them to help our alumni out.

Bottom line: Nothing to see. Don't have to go home but ya can't stay here. Move along, move along. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Why in the hell did they hire George Karl, mid season, to a 4 year contract then?

Because they didn't know then that Karl and Cousins would blend like oil and water.

The Kings' interest in Cal is all about pleasing Boogie. They're looking for a way to convince Cousins not to leave when he becomes a free agent. Boogie hates Karl, Boogie loves Cal, so they figure maybe that's the way. Seems like star-caliber players virtually run their franchises nowadays with the way teams will bend over backwards to please and keep them.

Last edited:
It's a reference to the Sacarmento Kings rumors. He's not going to the Kings. If didn't go to Cleveland the Kings are out of the question.

Translation: there's no way Cal would have just told Murray and his family that he would coach at UK and then take another job 5 days later.

If cal leaves, it'll be after a title in April. Not in July.

ADVERTISEMENT