ADVERTISEMENT

What does "reaching out" actually mean in regard to these transfers and UK?

G-PIP

Senior
Mar 14, 2014
I remember that after last season it was reported that UK had "reached out" to a bunch of the hot names in the portal (e.g., Knecht). But UK only ended up with Mitchell (and that was by luck actually), and only really seemed to put any effort into a couple of guys. So what does "reaching out" mean for this UK staff? If UK really wanted a player, why wouldn't Calipari and/or asst. coaches get on a plane and go meet with them. There's no restriction on recruiting the portal, right? Put the same effort into portal recruiting as you have repeatedly with high schoolers. The transfer portal guys matter more to winning than OAD high schoolers.

Reactions: dl51344
May be like Cal is saying 'look at me Cats fans, I am recruiting older guys that can play and win now.' Nobody visiting yet or planning to is what bothers me because other programs are setting up visits. Only so many difference makers to go around.

Reactions: G-PIP and dl51344
That they might be interested but they expect these portal guys to wait until Kentuckys guys make draft decisions. Cal thinks because it’s Kentucky these portal guys will wait, when in reality they don’t care at all about that. This philosophy is why Kentucky struggles in the portal sometimes

I think "reaching out" means contacting them or whoever their "representative" is and asking if they are interested and willing to talk further. I don't think just showing up on someone's porch is acceptable if they don't return your call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT