ADVERTISEMENT

The poorest excuse for effort that I think I've ever seen!!

UKCATSFREAK

Senior
Apr 8, 2013
Fort Thomas, KY
I'm not sure how much I respected Dwight Howard but he did seem to be a really good player back in his Magic days. However, after last nights embarrassing play, I have lost respect for him even more. In this particular play, he allowed Steph Curry to box him out and out rebound him in what was the poorest excuse for effort that I may have ever seen. Steph just snuck inside of him, put a butt on him, and went and got the rebound with Howard still on his box out. I hope someone can post a clip of the play for me to show everyone cause it was absolutely embarrassing for Howard. Then, to top it off, Howard acts as though Curry fouled him or something on the box out after Steph scores. LMAO!! You can't make this stuff up!! It was absolutely ridiculous and the poorest excuse for effort that I may have ever seen. Just embarrassing for Howard.

Last edited:
Agree on DH. If you let a little guy beat you to a spot like that, at least have enough pride to wrestle the ball away from him.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Pretty pathetic effort from the whole Rockets team which is surprising since they played them tough at Golden State.

I hope someone can post a clip of the play for me to show everyone cause it was absolutely embarrassing for Howard. .

Why don't you just post it yourself instead of asking someone else to do it for you? Jeez, your post is the poorest excuse for message board effort I think I've ever seen!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTyrone
Yeah, or even foul him but don't let him score! Have enough pride to not allow the score.

Howard did foul him on the play.

I hate the dude's attitude and where he's gone as a player, but he's been as good this postseason as he has in years. The entire team quit last night, but he ended up with 14 and 14.

It was a great play by Curry, but the entire point of blocking out is that there's nothing you can really do no matter the size difference. Jason Terry should have been on Curry, but Howard is the one catching the grief.

Howard did foul him on the play.

I hate the dude's attitude and where he's gone as a player, but he's been as good this postseason as he has in years. The entire team quit last night, but he ended up with 14 and 14.

It was a great play by Curry, but the entire point of blocking out is that there's nothing you can really do no matter the size difference. Jason Terry should have been on Curry, but Howard is the one catching the grief.

Howard has always been a punk but you're right here.

And I despise Howard and always have.

lol people blame Howard for everything. Don't care for him smiling on the bench down 25 but he was bout the only Rocket who played decent last night.

lol people blame Howard for everything. Don't care for him smiling on the bench down 25 but he was bout the only Rocket who played decent last night.

I didn't actually watch most of the game. He may have played well but that play stands tall above everything else he could have done positive. IMO, there just isn't an excuse why that should happen to a player with his size and strength.

I didn't actually watch most of the game. He may have played well but that play stands tall above everything else he could have done positive. IMO, there just isn't an excuse why that should happen to a player with his size and strength.

I love this. How can you comment on something and be so sure about it if you didn't even watch "most" of the game? I think fans on here do this a lot when it comes to nba basketball. I never can understand why.

Most over-rated player out there, not worth max money...does nothing exceptional expect maybe dunk and guys consider him a superstar?

Should at least dominate on the defensive end, but comes no where close to that.

Reactions: yoshukai
I love this. How can you comment on something and be so sure about it if you didn't even watch "most" of the game? I think fans on here do this a lot when it comes to nba basketball. I never can understand why.

Totally agree with this, people make assumptions off one play, one game, or a few games all the time.

Reminds me of Booker when he went on dry run for a few games, people saying he should come back and wouldn't even get drafted...uhh, no.

Turned the game off it was so bad. Houston lucked out with LAC. Part of me wishes they lost because maybe changes would have been made. I like McHale, Harden, and Howard individually, and maybe on the right teams. But together? Just isn't going to work. Mchale just roles the balls out there, and Harden/Howard really lack in the leadership department (Although they seemed to have picked it up the last 10 games). Part of me wants to give them a pass because they had their best starting 5 for all of two (2) games this season, but another part of me has to wonder "Is this a team that can win a title?" and I don't think it is.

Howard's problem is that he cares too much about what other people think. Instead of playing his game he wants to appease some players, that aren't even on his team. He wants to fit in so bad that it kills his game.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Howard's problem is that he cares too much about what other people think. Instead of playing his game he wants to appease some players, that aren't even on his team. He wants to fit in so bad that it kills his game.

He's always struck me as the archetypical tall kid who was made to play basketball simply because he was tall, but who doesn't have the fire in his belly for the game.

I just don't see a great leader on this team.

Which is why they will never win an NBA Title. It's the same reason why when Carmelo is the key player, that team will never win a Title.

Howard's attitude is still similar to Lebron was when he kept on getting bounced in playoff. Now, he is much tougher, talks trash, and get's into his teammates. Lebron has grown where Howard has failed to do. Kobe is an asshole, but instead of rejecting what he was saying, he should of took it to heart.

He's always struck me as the archetypical tall kid who was made to play basketball simply because he was tall, but who doesn't have the fire in his belly for the game.

This is just stupid. Good gravy, you make it sound like he's some Jared Carter type stiff.

First off, by NBA center standards, Howard is NOT that tall. The guy only measures around 6'9" without shoes, which actually makes him one of the shorter starting centers in the league. What set him apart from the league's other centers was his amazingly freaky athleticism and strength, not size.

And, I'm sorry, but a guy who was has no fire for the game at all doesn't end up being a perennial all star who was the best center in the world for the better part of a decade, led the league in rebounding and/or blocked shots for something like 6 or 7 straight years, and once carried an undermanned team on his back to the NBA Finals like he did in 09.

I know it's become trendy to bash on Howard and blame everything on him, but let's have some perspective people, the dude is certainly better than some of you make it sound.

Last edited:
This is just stupid. Good gravy, you make it sound like he's some Jared Carter type stiff.

First off, by NBA center standards, Howard is NOT that tall. The guy only measures 6'9" without shoes, which actually makes him one of the shortest starting centers in the league. What set him apart from the league's other centers was his amazingly freaky athleticism and strength, not size.

And, I'm sorry, but a guy who was has no fire for the game at all doesn't end up being a perennial all star who was the best center in the world for the better part of a decade, led the league in rebounding and/or blocked shots for something like 7 straight years, and once carried an undermanned team on his back to the NBA Finals. Gotta have at least some fire to do accomplish all at.

I know it's become trendy to bash on Howard and blame everything on him, but let's have some perspective people, the dude is certainly better than some of you make it sound.

Huh. Maybe I have him confused with Chris Bosh.

Just like last year we have posters who are generally disappointed with the quality of play in the NBA playoffs and other posters who are disappointed with those posters.

Doesn't make you look any better. That would be a stupid statement for Chris Bosh as well.

Phew -- good thing I qualified it with "maybe" then.

Surely there must be some center in the NBA for which my original statement would fit so that I don't look completely stupid in your eyes. Your approval is really important to me. I mean it.

How can I comment on it and be so sure? Well, because I saw the play and the fact that his stats were not superstar-esc, and that his team got thumped. Seeing the play, I think gives me enough insight to comment on it. Then add in the fact that he didn't do anything that was special (stats will tell you that), add the fact that his team got thumped in the game and its easy to say that this play will easily be the play that most people remember from this game, thus the standing tall above everything else comment. At the water cooler in the morning, I doubt I'll hear anyone talking about his nice post move or his sweet jump hook that he had. No, they'll be talking about him getting outrebounded by Stephen "freaking 6 foot nothing" Curry. I dont have to watch "most" of the game to easily come up with that notion.
Glad you love "this" too. What is "this" by the way? You say....."a lot of fans on here do this a lot when it comes to NBA bball". So, what is the "this" that we fans on here do to NBA basketball? I don't quite understand your post at all. Please enlighten me!

Last edited:
Totally agree with this, people make assumptions off one play, one game, or a few games all the time.

Reminds me of Booker when he went on dry run for a few games, people saying he should come back and wouldn't even get drafted...uhh, no.

I don't really see any comparison between the two but OK. How did I make an assumption about anything in the post quoted? I only commented on a play that I watched myself (no assumption there) and made a statement on that play against the rest of his stats for the game and the outcome of the game, which was pretty ugly. Just don't see any kind of comparison to be honest.

What did OP think of Boogie when earlier in the year, he showed absolutely no effort on a few plays, in fact he just stood there? One reporter even commented it looked like he fell asleep on the play.

What did OP think of Boogie when earlier in the year, he showed absolutely no effort on a few plays, in fact he just stood there? One reporter even commented it looked like he fell asleep on the play.

Although I think that was a little different because that was done on purpose to get a point across to his team and teammate, I still didn't like the method and thought it was embarrassing for Boogie. With his rep, he can't be doing stuff like that if he wants the respect of his peers and those around the league. There just is never a good reason to deliberately that a play off during the game, on either end of the court. So, yeah, I didn't like. Although the plays differ, it was an embarrassing moment for Boogie. Is that a good enough response from the OP for ya?

How can I comment on it and be so sure? Well, because I saw the play and the fact that his stats were not superstar-esc, and that his team got thumped. Seeing the play, I think gives me enough insight to comment on it. Then add in the fact that he didn't do anything that was special (stats will tell you that), add the fact that his team got thumped in the game and its easy to say that this play will easily be the play that most people remember from this game, thus the standing tall above everything else comment. At the water cooler in the morning, I doubt I'll hear anyone talking about his nice post move or his sweet jump hook that he had. No, they'll be talking about him getting outrebounded by Stephen "freaking 6 foot nothing" Curry. I dont have to watch "most" of the game to easily come up with that notion.
Glad you love "this" too. What is "this" by the way? You say....."a lot of fans on here do this a lot when it comes to NBA bball". So, what is the "this" that we fans on here do to NBA basketball? I don't quite understand your post at all. Please enlighten me!
The fact that you apparently watched the clip and then proceeded to describe 50% of the play incorrectly tells me all I need to know.

Although I think that was a little different because that was done on purpose to get a point across to his team and teammate, I still didn't like the method and thought it was embarrassing for Boogie. With his rep, he can't be doing stuff like that if he wants the respect of his peers and those around the league. There just is never a good reason to deliberately that a play off during the game, on either end of the court. So, yeah, I didn't like. Although the plays differ, it was an embarrassing moment for Boogie. Is that a good enough response from the OP for ya?
Well, yeah, I guess, my point was that it was just one play in each of those instances. I believe Boogie ended up with 18-20 in one of those, but if you just saw the one play it looked bad.

Also, i disagree with the comment about his stats-14 rebounds is superstar-esque

Last edited:

Good point. If the OP actually wanted to talk about the laziest plays ever he might've posted some clips like this or this. As much as we love Cuz, the truth is he's far more notorious for falling asleep on the defensive end than Howard has ever been.

In fact, as a couple smarter posters noted, this play was actually more Jason Terry's fault. Terry was the guy who was supposed to be guarding Curry there, but made no effort to stay with him or block out as the shot went up, which is why Curry slipped underneath so easily.

Funny thing is Howard is actually the only rocket that played well in that game--nabbing 14 rebounds and shooting 60 percent from the field--yet he was still the guy all the knuckleheads were trying to blame most for it the next day. Why? Because it's kinda trendy to bash on Howard right now, which means the lemmings look for any excuse to bash on him most, even if he's not actually the one most deserving of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: McThick
Well, yeah, I guess, my point was that it was just one play in each of those instances. I believe Boogie ended up with 18-20 in one of those, but if you just saw the one play it looked bad.

Also, i disagree with the comment about his stats-14 rebounds is superstar-esque

I honestly don't think 14 rebounds is superstar esque. That's just my opinion though and you know what they say about opinions. Lol

Good point. If the OP actually wanted to talk about the laziest plays ever he might've posted some clips like this or this. As much as we love Cuz, the truth is he's far more notorious for falling asleep on the defensive end than Howard has ever been.

In fact, as a couple smarter posters noted, this play was actually more Jason Terry's fault. Terry was the guy who was supposed to be guarding Curry there, but made no effort to stay with him or block out as the shot went up, which is why Curry slipped underneath so easily.

Funny thing is Howard is actually the only rocket that played well in that game--nabbing 14 rebounds and shooting 60 percent from the field--yet he was still the guy all the knuckleheads were trying to blame most for it the next day. Why? Because it's kinda trendy to bash on Howard right now, which means the lemmings look for any excuse to bash on him most, even if he's not actually the one most deserving of bashing.

Man, who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? I am the OP but I don't think I started a thread about the laziest plays ever. Just about 1 lazy play in this game. Just wanted to clear that up.

Oh, and I did post about Boogie also.

Boogie is a good enough player but he's also the Randy Moss of the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT