ADVERTISEMENT

I will come to the defense on one thing for Cal.

wobycat

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2003
Not a fan and I can't excuse the salesman's pitch. lack of coaching with x and o's, lack of self blame, etc.

But I will come to his defense on the differences in players of today.

One of the very few strengths of Cal is his ability is to recruit and motivate talented players to high levels of play but in just a few short years those talented players aren't as receptive.

There can be many reasons for this, NIL, Parent Influence, Transfer Portal, etc

That weakens one of his strengths to the point, of not getting the production he once did.

I think he realizes he has to change his strategy. If he can, I think he may be able to be succesful again.

Cmon Woby — hold the line !!! Battle hasn’t even started , just hold up to the truth and not some crumb from the entire cake

Reactions: kywildcat41086
That’s what everyone has been hoping for the past several years.
For sure. He is arrogant, but I don't think he's stupid.

I think his arrogance kept him from changing, believing his way, was the way.

But now the proof of concept has been shredded, so he will be laughed off the stage that he once owned if he doesn't change.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Not a fan and I can't excuse the salesman's pitch. lack of coaching with x and o's, lack of self blame, etc.

One of the very few strengths of Cal is his ability is to recruit and motivate talented players to high levels of play but in just a few short years those talented players aren't as receptive.

That weakens one of his strengths to the point, of not getting the production he once did.

I think he realizes he has to change his strategy. If he can, I think he may be able to be succesful again.
Prima Donna players have not changed that much.

Cal is the one who changed from when he first took this job.

Cal has surrendered his power to coach players and build a formidable team to the players and their handlers/agents/families.

Only Cal can take back control of the program, and he will never do that again.

That is why Cal has to be replaced for the sake of the future of the program. Sooner rather than later.

Better odds in Vegas.

Prima Donna players have not changed that much.

Cal is the one who changed from when he first took this job.

Cal has surrendered his power to coach players and build a formidable team to the players and their handlers/agents/families.

Only Cal can take back control of the program, and he will never do that again.

That is why Cal has to be replaced for the sake of the future of the program. Sooner rather than later.
I agree except I think he had more influence earlier. Now, it seems the puppies have complete control of the leash.

Better watch out, you will be accused of being a troll and not a real fan if you support the team in the good and bad times.

Better watch out, you will be accused of being a troll and not a real fan if you support the team in the good and bad times.
I can handle it. I have definitely been a mouthpiece against Cal for awhile now. My biggest issue has always been him not taking responsibility in unsuccessful seasons but for me he gets a temporary pass for the new players he's trying to coach today.

I understand being education myself. It's why Saban retired. Kids are soft or entitled today.

Since it appears he is going nowhere, I too hope he can change.

Don't believe he will, but hope I am wrong.

My hope is he HAS to be embarrassed now. Everyone is crapping on him. Hopefully a cornered Cal is a dangerous Cal?

And there it is! The age old Straw Man deflection post!

There has not been a single fan on this page that has blamed a SINGLE MEMBER OF THE TEAM for this current shit show situation, and you damn well know it clown! EAD, 🤡

The only thing I'll give him credit for is losing to some severely underrated teams in the tournament. Both st peters and Oakland were really good teams vastly under seeded. St Peters runs speaks for itself.

Townsend for Oakland is the real deal and could've started for most teams. They could've made a deeper run too but ran into a hot team that barely edged then out.

I give him zero defense for dealing with nil etc. With www, he was more than well versed in the shady side of basketball. He didn't break any rules, but he surely wasn't a boy scout. So no I don't think he's suddenly incapable of dealing with street agents etc. He might be too stubborn at this point, but that's a different issue.

• Sad
Reactions: wobycat and Mossip

Yeah the past five years he’s really motivated them in a way to win the regular season, sec tournament and for deep runs in the NCAA.

Motivation was not the problem this year. This team played as they were taught. Cal is to be held accountable. He has to adjust. I've been on the fire him team, that's not happening and I'm ok with it if it is in the best interest of the program. But he has to be held accountable and make changes to his philosophy and style. He used to be the lead dog, now he looks like a dog chasing his own tail.

Generally I agree but there are questions. Was Cal an ultra motivator or did he get the right mix of motivated players that also had talent?

Some of Cal’s best teams used to have that “breakfast club” that he would talk about where the players would on their own work out in the mornings to improve.

Early in the Cal era was the “selfish mf’r” moment where Cal did seem to have that fire to get his players to be the best versions of themselves.

Lately it seems as though it’s more about player feelings and whatnot. Is that because the players are not as receptive or is it because Cal has changed? Other teams are doing just fine and their teams look motivated to me.

I think it is a combination of things that started in the 9 win season, the sharpe situation, then last year with the “Benny line up” and this year with the entire country wondering why the three R’s didn’t play 30 minutes together. It is hard to be motivated as a team when the coach puts certain players first always and those players may or may not be hurting the team.

Either way I don’t know how Cal can get back to being the one from the first years, he has lost his fastball it seems and off speed definitely isn’t working.

Reactions: catben
2 is the maximum number of "stars". Kareem and Magic. Shaq and Kobe. Jordan and Pippen.

I think 1 is actually preferable.

Anyway, Calipari got dazzled by his own recruiting and loaded things up. Result: no journeymen to provide continuity.

Players First became an ante-room to professional ranks when it should have been simply putting their whole range of interests first.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
This thought that Cal is gonna change is mind boggling , he's told you " I'm Not Changing" and guys on this board , real Ky fans , people who been here for years are like " Man I hope he changes next year " LOL , he's said it to your face Hes not changing !!! How many years of being Indiana do we need to have ? Losing seasons Check , bunch of embarrassing home losses , check , SECT embarrassing losses , check , No NCAAT success at all, zero to make up for poor regular seasons ..... check .. and some are fans are like " boy I hope he CHANGES" Its sad and laughable .. beaten women syndrome .. He wont do it again , he said so .. SMH

2 is the maximum number of "stars". Kareem and Magic. Shaq and Kobe. Jordan and Pippen.

I think 1 is actually preferable.

Anyway, Calipari got dazzled by his own recruiting and loaded things up. Result: no journeymen to provide continuity.

Players First became an ante-room to professional ranks when it should have been simply putting their whole range of interests first.
So Antonio and Tre dont fit this description ? You always make excuses for Cal . I'm tired of it . You are part of the problem. Hold him accountable

And there it is! The age old Straw Man deflection post!

There has not been a single fan on this page that has blamed a SINGLE MEMBER OF THE TEAM for this current shit show situation, and you damn well know it clown! EAD, 🤡

You said you weren’t watching anymore, did we already backtrack that quick?

This problem is STILL on Cal.

He is the one that recruits HIS players so he should KNOW what kind of kid he’s getting. He wants “DOGS”, yet lately he has gotten pups. When the coach has his pick of ANY player he wants, there is NO excuse for the roster lacking the type of players needed to succeed, especially for a HOF coach that KNOWS what it takes!!

Last edited:
Reactions: wobycat

It’s a nice theory to think about, but cal isn’t changing and never will. One thing that cal still does that will never work today is the yelling at players. He is on the sidelines sometimes losing his mind and players don’t respond to that well anymore. Also if he isn’t getting the best of the best recruits anymore, than his coaching takes down the team he has and they will never be able to fully overcome it

Reactions: wobycat
[blather removed to conserve the peace]
We can discuss it like adults if you wish . I'm not gonna go off , but He's not gonna change . We have had 5 years of very different rosters and players .. the results stink. We gotta move on dreadlox .

Reactions: catben
I would love to see a comparison of freshman in the S16 this year versus 8-10 years ago. As the season goes on and into the tourney the physicality increases and the kids now are not about it.

We will see very shortly. Will he go into the portal and over-recruit this class? If he does not in a big way next year will be brutal, this class does not have one starter on a true contender.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
He said last night..."we are not going to change what we do here", referring to recruiting/playing 18 yr olds.
This was right after he whined about how we needed older, stronger players. Does he drink?
Nonsensical....like his "coaching".

We can discuss it like adults if you wish . I'm not gonna go off , but He's not gonna change . We have had 5 years of very different rosters and players .. the results stink. We gotta move on dreadlox .
I just offered a view that could explain the chronic problems Calipari has had w/o resorting to mind-reading, insinuating malice, or demanding incompetence.

This is where I was after that St Peter's loss, willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I agree that Calipari is good at getting guys to sacrifice their numbers for the good of the team. And I agree he's been good dealing with the NIL stuff. But what is his job? Winning games. Winning SEC titles. Winning national titles. Losing to St Peter's, Kansas St, and Oakland are inexcusable losses. This team was "built for March" and he rode that line to the end, which came very quickly. We've had no success in the SEC-T and none in the NCAA-T in YEARS! Despite some positives, the negatives outweigh them all. Gotta win. If you can't do that, it's time to go. Go run a charity. Go find another coaching job with less pressure where he can make NBA millionaires and not have to worry about winning as much. Retire, buy an island and enjoy the millions you've made. Just go.

He will never be successful again using 5 star HS players against teams made up of portal players grown men. Look at our team our 3 best starters prior to injury were 2 portal players and Reed. It is a shame we never found out If any of our other portal players were Ballers because of Cal playing Freshman. I will say Z got some clock but I think Cal killed him when he sat him on the bench for several games following his breakout performance.

It's not the players today. Not weird recruiting. Not a weird year or schedule. It's just plain BAD COACHING. Calipari deserves zero sympathy or defense, lol.

Reactions: ManitouDan
It's not the players today. Not weird recruiting. Not a weird year or schedule. It's just plain BAD COACHING. Calipari deserves zero sympathy or defense, lol.
Seems to be a ton of good will being thrown his way . He just sacrificed our March run to start/ play a not yet recovered Tre Williams in the NCAAT and continue to start games behind by not starting his best players . And he gets sympathy ? C'mon people.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Seems to be a ton of good will being thrown his way . He just sacrificed our March run to start/ play a not yet recovered Tre Williams in the NCAAT and continue to start games behind by not starting his best players . And he gets sympathy ? C'mon people.
As soon as Cal pulls guys from the portal, these clowns will be in full force here.

Narcissist don’t change, they just change the presentation of what they are saying. In fact most people are incapable of change because most don’t want to. Losing was not a level of severity that will make Cowl “want” to change”. He is smart enough to know to say or nod just enough to keep his job. We all know come August UK won’t remove him mid season. It’ll be the same sh$t next season.

Mitch should be terminated as well. Not for the contract, because I believe more than just him signed that one, but because he didn’t have someone else lined up just in case. In Jan or Feb when he saw the train wreck developing he should have been working the back channels. Letting Cowl stay because he can’t find a better replacement is evidence he literally isn’t doing his job.

im sorry but he used to motivate players great. not these past 4 years.

proof? Toppin after the Gonzaga loss over a year ago said things like Cal in that its a long season and they cant get up for every game .

does that sound like motivating kids? when you preach the regular season doesnt matter, thats the opposite of motivating .

Reactions: IL Wildcat

His idea of success and our idea of succes is just different.

He will never change because he’s already said nothing will change. He doesn’t think anything is wrong.

Calipari did the same thing at Memphis years ago. This fanbase has never fully understood the guy. I’m friends with the son of one of Calipari’s close friends from his old town. Even they thought he couldn’t pull his crap at UK and he has.

He Tried to make the Memphis fanbase seem unreasonable for wanting to win. Branded them with the nickname “the miserables” because they didn’t like NIT’s.

He’s a master at lowering expectations. And it seems now our administration wants those expectations lowered as well.

Kentucky has a huge problem in that everyone else is win at all cost, while we have people in charge that want to get rich off of the money given to them and don’t want to work as hard as the rest. How do you employ this brand of operation? By lowering the expectations.

If Calipari goes to a sweet 16 they will claim victory. You wait, they will.

Kentucky is going the way of Indiana until we get men in charge who care about winning. All of this other stuff is just BS and hoping for miracles.

The only way to stop the inevitable that is our program losing its prestige is for Kentucky men to be put back in charge of basketball. You cannot have outsiders who don’t care about anything but money in charge. They don’t CARE ABOUT OUR PROGRAM. “But but we could get in trouble!” I don’t care. I’d rather get in trouble some, it seemed to work out well in the past. We always recovered and we always dominated. Now we never get off the ground.

Get the foreigners away from the basketball program. Our only shot is if the boosters still have enough control to make it happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT