ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

Paducah Iron Mom half this morning. I've run it all 4 years. Today was my worst time by two minutes at 1:28:11, but my best finish at 2nd overall. Trailed the winner by about 80 seconds or so. Muggy and sunny slowed the pace.

- Since the achilles I took about 10 days off running, focused completely on biking (hard climbs) and swimming. Swam in the mornings and biked after work. The leg felt solid after the rest so decided to hit a local 5K yesterday, got my first sub 20, finishing at 19:53, which I think is about a 6:24 avg pace throughout. Ran a 5K 3 weeks ago and finished at 20:33. Was just feeling it yesterday.

- I will say to all the runners on board, hard climbing on the bike has helped my general cardio level and running immensely. I cannot simulate the pure lung burning cardio I get biking the hills with any form of running. After the hard bike work, running a hard pace is much more manageable because you simply can't activate as much muscle on a run IMO. It's also nice to be able to get work in that doesn't result in any trauma or bang to the legs. Good Stuff.

- Knoxville Tri this Sunday, yea boy.

Happy Running Folks
This post was edited on 5/11 5:03 PM by Deep_oak

Originally posted by legalbeagle123:
Paducah Iron Mom half this morning. I've run it all 4 years. Today was my worst time by two minutes at 1:28:11, but my best finish at 2nd overall. Trailed the winner by about 80 seconds or so. Muggy and sunny slowed the pace.
Dude that won is bad-ass for 57 years old isn't he?

Nice Wheels Beagle! That's busting it man.

Originally posted by Lexie's Dad:
Dude that won is bad-ass for 57 years old isn't he?
He's built to run. Talked to him afterward for a little bit. He said he's never run a full marathon before. I told him he could run a Boston Qualifier just by rolling out of bed in the morning, but he just isn't interested. I think the Iron Mom is about the only race he runs.

^I'm 99.99% sure that you'll see him at the Fly With the Eagles half every February, probably also at the Tunnel Hill 10 miler and a bunch of the other local races. Don't remember if he runs Murray or not. He's buds with my buds if that makes any sense.

Yup, yup. Thanks, Voin.

Leave in the morning. Gear bag packed. Supposed to be 58 degrees, slightly overcast, no wind. Should be perfect conditions. My whole plan is just to finish. No other goals since this is my first full.

Good luck LC! Remember, don't freak out if you can't get to sleep the night before. Won't make any difference at all.

-- Hope things went well for LC this morning

--First Tri this a.m. in Knoxville. Had an absolute blast, it was Olympic Distance. Very pleased with my swim and crushed on the run, however, got my ass kicked on the bike.

--Came out of the water in the 35th - 40th percentile. Then jumped on the bike and fell out of the pack I excited water with and went on to drop 10-12 spots over the course of the ride leg. Put the running shoes on and passed those 12 back up and caught the original pack I left the water with, with about 2 miles left in the run. Ended up clearing those guys.

-- Finished 7th in my age division (25-29) out of only 19 and 37th in my wave of 87.

-- Have a ton of bike work to do. First of many Tri's I hope.

The bike in Knoxville is pretty difficult if memory serves me correct. The only way you get better on the bike is being on the bike A LOT and being useful with your time. Unlike swimming, there is a ton of carry over from running to cycling. Find someone faster than you to ride with and try to keep up. Or if you have the ability to push all out on a solo ride, do that. Those are really the only two ways you get better.

A little advice that people around triathlon often ignore because it seems like it should help. Skip the bike/run training sessions. Zero scientific proof that they do anything for you other than the mental aspect of getting used to running on shelled legs. If you are time crunched, then ya, take what you can get. But they aren't going to make you faster.

Good news for your running is that through the summer I'd average somewhere in the range of 20 miles of running/week and came out a significantly faster runner in the fall than in the spring.

Originally posted by MobileCatFan:
The bike in Knoxville is pretty difficult if memory serves me correct. The only way you get better on the bike is being on the bike A LOT and being useful with your time. Unlike swimming, there is a ton of carry over from running to cycling. Find someone faster than you to ride with and try to keep up. Or if you have the ability to push all out on a solo ride, do that. Those are really the only two ways you get better.

A little advice that people around triathlon often ignore because it seems like it should help. Skip the bike/run training sessions. Zero scientific proof that they do anything for you other than the mental aspect of getting used to running on shelled legs. If you are time crunched, then ya, take what you can get. But they aren't going to make you faster.

Good news for your running is that through the summer I'd average somewhere in the range of 20 miles of running/week and came out a significantly faster runner in the fall than in the spring.
Thanks for the advice MCF, it's well taken.. Between the three activities, biking has been my least favorite, just not crazy about the time it requires to get real cycling work in. However, seeing as though it wrecked an otherwise good Tri performance for me I'm going to buckle down on it. Point blank, I knew I was skimping on the long rides in my training and that emerged during the race. Did good on the hills, as that's what I focus on in my area, but just didn't have the sustained speed in the long stretches.

I survived and finished. The weather was perfect for the run and most it ran along Lake Erie so there was some kind of light breeze almost the whole time. I don't think there is anything lonelier than when the marathon splits from the half marathon. Talk about thinning numbers. First 15 miles went pretty well. Started to fade some but held steady from 15-24. Had a problem with my right quad starting around 20 where I could tell it was fatigued. Hit the wall at 24 but finished it out walking most of 24 and 25.

Glad to have this one in the books.

I just uploaded the info off my garmin a few minutes ago and looked at it. You can see where I was clipping right along and then where I ran into trouble. I think it's good to go through the process once to understand what it requires both physically and mentally. I'll definitely do another, taking the lessons learned from this one.

This thread is really interesting, and actually sparked a "get my fat ass in shape" moment for me earlier this year. Started running somewhat regularly 3-4 times per week on in Mid-February. I have only slightly modified my diet and have now lost 30lbs. At first I could only run 1-2 miles at a 9:50-10:15 pace, I have been able to get the distance up to 3 miles at 8:50 pace. Here is my question to the more advanced runners on here.

If I want to get the distance up to 5 miles, do I just keep my new pace and run a little further each time? Or should I try to slow down and save energy for extra distance? I run the 3 pretty easily now, but am a little winded when I approach the end. I stop for a few minutes, and then feel like I could run another mile or so. Am I just running to fast for my fitness level to hit the five at one time? My ultimate goal is to lose about another 10-15 and just be cardiovascularly fit.

Originally posted by FullBuck:
This thread is really interesting, and actually sparked a "get my fat ass in shape" moment for me earlier this year. Started running somewhat regularly 3-4 times per week on in Mid-February. I have only slightly modified my diet and have now lost 30lbs. At first I could only run 1-2 miles at a 9:50-10:15 pace, I have been able to get the distance up to 3 miles at 8:50 pace. Here is my question to the more advanced runners on here.

If I want to get the distance up to 5 miles, do I just keep my new pace and run a little further each time? Or should I try to slow down and save energy for extra distance? I run the 3 pretty easily now, but am a little winded when I approach the end. I stop for a few minutes, and then feel like I could run another mile or so. Am I just running to fast for my fitness level to hit the five at one time? My ultimate goal is to lose about another 10-15 and just be cardiovascularly fit.
If your goal is just to add distance without maintaining or being able to increase pace, then taking a slower pace will allow you to add distance.

If you want to maintain your pace (or improve it) you just have to push yourself. Being winded and tired, but pushing through that, is the best way to make gains. Your body will adjust next time and that extra distance will get easier and easier.

Also, don't ever "stop" during a run. Keep moving, even if it's a very slow jog or a walk. Stopping slows down the blood flow and can bring about tightness in the joints.

I am 50 and have been running steady for about 10 years. I have won several local 5k's in my area. My best 5K time is 17:42. I ran a 5 miler in 29:50 a few years back. That same year I ran the Derby half in Louisville. I ran it in 1:23 and was really pumped. I started training for the Blugrass 10K the May after that Derby run and started experiencing tightness and tenderness in my left hamstring. I have been to the doctor several time and had therapy. This does not relieve the problem. I have cut back to running outside about 3 times a month. (use to put in 5 days a week on the road totaling around 35 to 50 miles) I do the rest of my running on a treadmill(boring). I can run at a slow pace and be ok. However, when I start to run at race pace, or anywhere near that speed, the symptoms come back. It just feel like it is seconds from pulling and i have to slow down or stop. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Originally posted by likelarry901:

I am 50 and have been running steady for about 10 years. I have won several local 5k's in my area. My best 5K time is 17:42. I ran a 5 miler in 29:50 a few years back. That same year I ran the Derby half in Louisville. I ran it in 1:23 and was really pumped. I started training for the Blugrass 10K the May after that Derby run and started experiencing tightness and tenderness in my left hamstring. I have been to the doctor several time and had therapy. This does not relieve the problem. I have cut back to running outside about 3 times a month. (use to put in 5 days a week on the road totaling around 35 to 50 miles) I do the rest of my running on a treadmill(boring). I can run at a slow pace and be ok. However, when I start to run at race pace, or anywhere near that speed, the symptoms come back. It just feel like it is seconds from pulling and i have to slow down or stop. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Don't know about your problem, but you are a damn fast runner.

Originally posted by likelarry901:

Don't know about your problem, but you are a damn fast runner.
Thanks! I love running but always have had a "mindset" that I have to improve my time constantly. I think I trained too hard without having "easy days". I always thought that running at a slower pace programmed me to be mentally weak. I know it is not the correct way to train and stay healthy but I was stubborn. I am paying for it now. I have had this hamstring issue for about three years now. I will back off to let it heal but when I get back to training at race pace it reappears. I do not know if it is a hip, nerve, knee, or glute causing this pain. I notice that my left leg will experience some numbness when I sit for an extended period of time. It is frustrating because I was really getting my nerve up to try a full when this all started. I will eventually have to get an MRI but was just wondering if anyone had experienced that same problems. I'm just hoping it is not a chronic issue that will never go away.

Running related question for you avid runners.

I'm starting to run regularly now, nothing crazy, just a few miles a day, and mainly to drop some weight and get healthy. My problem is that just a few minutes into the run, my feet start to go numb; tingling and such. I'm sure part of it is that I need to drop about 20 pounds or so...but has anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions?

TIA!

^^
Go to a specialty running store and get fitted for some shoes. Makes all the difference in the world.

^^
Go to a specialty running store and get fitted for some shoes. Makes all the difference in the world.
Making sure your shoes fit correctly and have cushion is important. Stretching the hips is also important. Most people stretch the hams, quads, and calfs but they forget how important the hip is to the running movement.

Anyone ever tried "The Beer Mile?"

Local track club here did it on Sunday.

chug a beer --> run a 400m lap

laugh.r191677.gif

Buddy of mine (whos probably a better beer drinker than runner = 5-10 or so, 200ish) did it in 9:57.

If you think about it, it kinda levels the playing field. Heavier/slower guys can usually drink more. Slower/faster guys are usually pansies. I think the winning time was around 7:15. Some dude had a 1-mile PR of 5:45ish, and his Beer Mile time was almost 13. Couldn't chug fast enough, was spitting up foam.
laugh.r191677.gif

Kentucky's 1st 100-miler. Anyone participating?

http://www.cloudsplitter100.com/about.html

Still rolling. Won a duathlon relay couple weeks ago with a cycling buddy. Will be gearing up in earnest for Berlin (September) in another month or so.

I'm back at it but have just started back. Of course I would start back when it decides to be 90+ every day.

Originally posted by Voinovich.:
Anyone still running? I've honestly been questioning it all. Got 6 miles in the last week though.

rolleyes.r191677.gif
Hmm... well lets see. Between my left knee that continues to swell every time I run and my general disdain for running in the heat, this summer has sucked. Been getting in 20ish miles a week when my knee isn't hurting or I can find the time.

Originally posted by LadyCat92:
Lexington is getting a full marathon. Anyone considering doing it?
sick0012.r191677.gif

My 30 mile ride is Chevy Chase->Legacy>-Ironworks and turn around at FT. So a logical run would be in town, turn then follow legacy trail back to iron works. Still a lot of up and downs. Boston Qualifier.
laugh.r191677.gif
Good luck with that.

No thanks.

Won a local 5K yesterday in 18:46. Decent time and beat a kid who runs track at a nearby high school. So there's that.

And that's why I haven't signed up for it yet, Anth. RunTheBluegrass is a challenge itself out at Keeneland and cutting back through all of the farms. I'm not sure I could do a full under the same conditions.

Yeah, that sucks. Double loop, very rolling hills.

Actually going to Mt. Horeb in a couple hours for a bike ride. It's a pretty road but I wouldn't want to run it twice in a marathon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT