ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

Originally posted by goose41:

Anyone done or planning to do the Flying Pig?
I've done the half. Very hilly, particularly the climb between miles 6-9. Great crowd support. Same day as Derby Day so you if you have big Derby plans, it may not be the race for you.

Thanks for the opinions! This may be sacrilege, but I'm not a big Derby guy
blackeye.r191677.gif
so thats not a big negative for me. This will be my first full marathon, and I'm pretty excited for that. Hoping to finish in under 4 hours.

How is everyone elses running going now that the weather isn't complete ish?
This post was edited on 2/20 12:29 PM by goose41

Is there some good discount site to buy energy gels by the box or should I just hit retail for them while in Lexington? Thanks

I buy shot blocks on amazon.

Last night was the first time I've run my normal path w/out snow or ice causing me all kinds of problems in at least 3-4 weeks maybe longer. Weird how being forced out of your normal route can be that discouraging but it certainly is.

Gu Chomps are about $8 cheaper per box on runningwarehouse.com than on Amazon Prime. Free shipping and no sales tax so its comparable.

This post was edited on 2/22 10:09 AM by LadyCat92

runningwarehouse.com is just a great website. Free shipping + no tax + arrives in 2 days.

It's not just all discount/clearance stuff, either. There's quite a range of older and newer models. Most of the shoes I buy on there are 1 model year old for $50-80, whereas the latest version is > $100.

All kinds of nutrition, hydration, clothes, you name it.

13 miles today for the first time in a long time without much concern for the weather. That said, Hays Blvd must be one giant wind tunnel. At times I felt like I was running in place.

Tokyo Marathon in the books. Haven't seen results yet, but my time should be 3:14 and change. Course was definitely at least a quarter mile longer than 26.2. Everyone I talked to noticed the same thing on their watches. They also let thousands of local "club runners" start up front behind elites, regardless of ability. Took a mile to negotiate past people who had no business up that close. Those two things probably cost me a sub 3:10.

All in all, great race and great conditions yesterday (even spit snow a little). A few nasty hills toward the end, but all flat before that. 5 of 6 majors done, with Berlin to go this September.

^^
Boston - April 2012
Chicago - October 2012 (PR'd here).
London - April 2013
New York - November 2013
Tokyo -February 2014

Going back to Boston again this year in two months, so not much recovery time. Trying to improve my time from two years ago when it was so hot and barely snuck in under 4 hours at 3:55.

- Congrats 123. That's an awesome trek you've started (and almost completed) Jealous actually.

-- Ran this little 5K where I knew one of the organizers, for the local animal shelter, etc. ...

in 18:37 ... [laughing face]

There is ZERO (0) percent chance I ran a 5K that fast. Either the course was too short or the the timing was off. Possibly both.

Still was fun but I HATE 5K's. Have got to get back to actually running distance, especially before it gets hot again. Am just bored with it I guess.

--- runningwarehouse is awesome. Have been running in (new to me) year old shoes from them for years. You can't care what they look like though.

If you ever think you've accomplished something, just talk to other people at these things and it will make you feel small. Randomly met a lady yesterday from Evansville who lives next door to my wife's college roommate (what are the odds). Anyway, she's 44, has 6 kids, and Tokyo was her 84th marathon in the last 4-5 years. She did 24 last year alone and is a member of the 50 states club, and just needs Africa and Australia for all 7 continents. Oh, and she ran a 3:41 yesterday.

Ridiculous.

It is supposed to be in the 60s by this weekend. Please let all of this ish melt and may I not run on the treadmill again for the rest of the year.

Anth, LC, & PTI - thanks for the recs. Just placed a large order with RunningW-House.

About to throw in a good brick workout this beautiful Saturday. 30 on the bike then hop off and trot a hard 5.

Good running folks!

* Another note on runningwarehouse.com = punch in the code "RUNBLOG10," and you get an extra 10% off. Best deals in the business.

* Was supposed to run this race today...

http://q50races.com/q50-races-marathon-and-half-marathon-2013/

50-miler about an hour away from me in Bogue Chitto park -- but I'm sick as hell. Pissed. Race director had two of his good friends in attendance as "guests of honor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo_Barrios

(former 10k world record holder)

http://www.nola.com/running/index.ssf/2014/02/rock_n_roll_new_orleans_marath_8.html

(monique koll -- walked the rock-n-roll half last month after a severe spinal cord injury)

So, I'll be laying around feeling like a Walking Dead zombie all day instead.

Goodness, Voin. I was just happy to run 5 miles tonight and improve 10 seconds on every 1 mile split. Weather was just perfect tonight and my legs just felt really strong and fresh.

In a funk, hoping this weather gets me out of it. Legs and cardio are fine, i just don't have any kick. Need to drop 8-10 lbs before the mini.

Nice time, Blake.

Originally posted by anthonys735:
In a funk, hoping this weather gets me out of it. Legs and cardio are fine, i just don't have any kick. Need to drop 8-10 lbs before the mini.

Nice time, Blake.
I know you experienced guys are well aware but it shocks me how big a difference shedding a few pounds can make, I'm in the process of trying to cut off a few as well before all the weekend events start up. Fruit for breakfast, grilled chicken salad for lunch, clean dinner (chicken and veggies, etc) -- My Monday - Friday. Of course, 15 - 20 beers find their way into that mix most Saturday nights, followed by the obligatory hungover pizza/Chinese food on 'feet up' Sunday.

* Tell you what is not fun... face planting while out on a run. Especially when its the nicest day of the year so far and at the busiest corner of the park (Pee Wee Reese and Seneca Park Rd.) So there is that.

blackeye.r191677.gif

* 17 miles at 7:50 pace two weekends ago and dropped negative splits on the last 8 miles. Aside from basically sand-papering my nips off (cotton T), that was about as strong as I've ever felt running. Up to almost 50 mpw now. Planning for a 20 miler on the next two weekends to see where I'm at heading into the Derby Marathon.

* Anyone done the Monumental in Indy?

Originally posted by PTI (pti):

runningwarehouse.com is just a great website. Free shipping + no tax + arrives in 2 days.

It's not just all discount/clearance stuff, either. There's quite a range of older and newer models. Most of the shoes I buy on there are 1 model year old for $50-80, whereas the latest version is > $100.

All kinds of nutrition, hydration, clothes, you name it.
I was skimming this thread last night and just found out about runningwarehouse.com. Went on the site and ordered two new pairs of the shoes that I wear for about half price. Can't believe I didn't know about them sooner.

My running pales in comparison to the rest of you in this thread. I found out last week that my little brother quit smoking and is looking to run the Music City 5k in April.

Overheard a guy in the locker room talking about his first triathlon. He said he was having trouble with the swimming, so he flipped onto his back. He said the next wave of participants started and caught up with him - elderly ladies about age 45-55.

I had no idea that age 45 is elderly.

* 45 isn't old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-iGZPtWXzE

If you watch this Ted Talk, the author of Born to Run talks about a study that was done of the average marathon time of everyone in America from age 19 to 80. Approximately the 8:00 mark.

19 = start
27 = peak

But on average, you dont get back to your age 19 time until.........64 years old. So you only get very gradually slower for approximately 40 years. I know lots of 40 and 50-somethings that are fantastic runners.

* I'm in, Voin.

Originally posted by PTI (pti):

* 45 isn't old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-iGZPtWXzE

If you watch this Ted Talk, the author of Born to Run talks about a study that was done of the average marathon time of everyone in America from age 19 to 80. Approximately the 8:00 mark.

19 = start
27 = peak

But on average, you dont get back to your age 19 time until.........64 years old. So you only get very gradually slower for approximately 40 years. I know lots of 40 and 50-somethings that are fantastic runners.

* I'm in, Voin.
Yep, which is why you see tons of people in their 40's and 50's who can qualify for Boston year after year. With the sliding scale qualification times, it gets easier for those folks to do it.

First running event in the A.M. Knoxville Half Marathon, pretty pumped. Got torked last night watching the cats, but hope I have flushed the toxins out today. Goal is to just hold my 8:00 - 8:10 pace throughout.

^Hope the weather is better than it was at Run the Bluegrass today. It was absolutely brutal out there.

Yes, it's very hilly and by hilly I don't mean rolling. I'm talking some straight up climbs at times. Throw in strong winds, raining from start to finish with the intensity picking up along the way, and the temp dropping 12-15 degrees during the race and it's just brutal. My quads seized up on the hill at mile 9 which is the biggest climb. At that moment I went from trying to PR to trying to just finish. I was shivering so bad by the time I got in my car after the race that I turned the heat up to 80.

All that said, it's a great little race and an absolutely beautiful course. When the weather is nice and the horses are out, it's just beautiful.

Still plan to run Bluegrass some day but I strongly dislike hills.

LC, if you want to PR, run the Evansville half (assuming you haven't).

Actually, run it twice. One year you'll run it and it'll be damn near 80 and the next year will be 40. The final 11-ish miles are actually downhill I think. Would love to run it again now that I've crushed a few hilly ones.

Congrats though on the (awful sounding) finish today.

Thanks, Voin. I'm not a speed demon like you guys, but I enjoy running, trying to get faster, and completing the different courses though sometimes they are just miserable like today.

Just looked at the elevation profile for Evansville. That is fantastic. Given all of the hill work I've done for RtB, I'm hoping to PR the Derby Mini. Talk about a flat course. I think the biggest elevation is when you run the ramps in / out of Churchill.

Well it was a beautiful morning in Knoxville for the half, 37 degrees at the start and not a cloud in the sky. First running event and man I was shocked at the atmosphere, was straight up amped at the start with the music and all the people around. I had previously ran a 1:45 in practice holding a 8ish pace throughout. That was my goal today. Welp,

--> ended up running a 7:04 avg pace through 12 miles. Hit the last mile and completely boinked out bc I forgot to take my gel and have never ran that pace, or anything close. Walked for 50-60 yards, then brought her home. Had no expectation of running that pace. I guess it's rookie luck on my part, when the lights come on, its just an entirely different feeling then training runs.

Official time: 1:36.30, 7:22 pace across the board. That got me 92nd overall out of 2,469, 75th in the men's division and 13th out of 146 in my age division. I am shocked and even moreso stoked I didn't fizzle out midway. Looking forward to the Derby half in a few weeks.

Happy Running Folks

- And congrats to you LC, had friend run the bluegrass and said it was miserable! Nice run!
This post was edited on 3/30 2:21 PM by Deep_oak

So did everybody stop running now that the weather is amazing out?

- some of you running the half (or maybe full) in Louisville this weekend?

- Ran a 5k event yesterday, man what a gut wrenching painful run, wanted to stop and cry like a little b*tch. Just short enough to open it up but long enough to boil your guts at the same time. Finished second, was with the leader through 2.25 miles but he dropped the hammer on that last leg and left me in the dust. Dude, was legit.

- Question: Every time I run real hard (events) I get a very hot burning sensation on the bottoms of my feet, like they are on fire. Guessing I've got a fit issue with my shoes. I wear Brooks and love the shoes, seem to fit right but perhaps not. How is a running shoe supposed to fit? Gonna drop in a store that does the legit evaluation and fitting to see what's up. Again the odd thing is, I never experience this on training runs, just when giving it hell in an event.

- What's up with you guys? Anybody ran anything or have anything coming up? #share

This post was edited on 4/13 1:28 PM by Deep_oak

I'm in the last 5 weeks of my training for my first full. Excited about it but scared to death. I ran 22 last weekend and around mile 19 I started to struggle. The last 1 1/2 miles were nothing but negotiation with myself - run 1 minute, walk 1 minute. I've done a lot of half marathons and that don't feel like such a challenge now, but it kills me to look down at my Garmin and see that I've done 10 and then to realize I've got another 16.2 to go. I realize at this point that a lot of it is mental.Have had a problem when I first start out with my lower abdomen being really tight and it feels like I'm going to tear something in my abdomen or my hip socket. I'm trying to find a stretch or a way to warm up to offset this because it really hurts. Only good thing is that it does make me shorten my stride until I'm warmed up and by then, I've settled into it.

This post was edited on 4/13 3:30 PM by LadyCat92

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT