ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

PTI (pti)

All-American
Nov 14, 2002
* Knocked out my 7th 50-miler this weekend. Bartlett Park Ultras in Memphis.

http://www.runacrossamericaontrail.com/Welcome.html

* So, I'm now obsessed with these....

I've always heard opposing arguments re: salt tablets. Decided to get on a regular schedule on Saturday, and took 2-3/hour. Absolutely made a WORLD of difference. I barely even tired, didn't get nearly as sore as usual, never hit the proverbial wall. Just a total 180.

The science is something about how it helps your body stay hydrated. Which seems pretty important.

* Favorite moment = saw a dad and his son (couldnt have been more than 7 or 8) running the final 4ish-mile loop (of his 40-mile race) together. And this tiny little kid ran the whole way. Even wiped out at one point on the trail, and got back up and kept going. Very cool. The average kid in this country spends his Saturdays watching cartoons, eating cereal, and sucking down Mountain Dews. This kid knocked out a 4-5 mile run. Stud.

* Heading to LA this weekend for a wedding. Plan on putting in some miles with a buddy in Malibu. Eek.

Always good to have a hobby that pushes you to the limit.

Congratulations. That's a heck of a haul.

This post was edited on 9/15 9:50 PM by BlueRaider22

-Still pissed we didn't get in the Bourbon Chase. Wish the other relay we're doing was soon because I'm running pretty good right now.

-Been hitting it 5-6 days per week. 25ish miles plus 80-100 miles on the bike. Probably trade the bike for the pool in the next 4-5 weeks. 2014 needs to the Anth vs PTI 1/2 IM showdown.

-50 miler on the day of the UKvUL game
rolleyes.r191677.gif

laugh.r191677.gif
@ PTI... A 50 miler is just a whole other level of suffering that I've determined I want zero part of. I have
no clue how he recovers so damn quickly.

* Picked up these guys today...

2074037-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Have had a variation of these shoes for going on 5 years now. Last pair had a smooth 850 miles on them before I needed to replace them.

* Half Ironman next weekend... should be the best shape I've ever been in for one. Shooting for under 5 hours, which is kind of like the 3 hour barrier in marathoning. About a 27 minute swim, 2:35 bike ride and an hour & forty-ish minute half marathon. Then I will drink a ton.

50 miles sounds crazy, but in some ways it's more enjoyable than a marathon or a half. Much more relaxed atmosphere, jogging as opposed to running, being able to buddy up and talk as you go, etc.

The theory behind salt tablets is that they 1) cause your body to retain water, thus lessening dehydration and 2) induce thirst therefore causing you to drink / hydrate more, also fighting dehydration.

There was an article in this month's Runners World about how they found making runners drink a salty solution 2-3 hours before a race had the same effects.

* Correct, leaglebeagle. Depending on your goals/finish time/ability, a 50-miler can often turn into a really long run-walk. It's not NEARLY as daunting as it sounds. What you need more than anything, really, is an incredible amount of patience.

* Signed up for a 5k next week -- as part of a convention I'll be attending. About 100 participants. Guess I'm gonna give it a serious go. I haven't done one in YEARS. I guess I'm shooting for sub-20....but I don't have any clue if that's possible for me. We shall see.

* Cannot stress the salt tabs enough. My body felt 180 degrees different. And I can't believe I didn't know this trick earlier. I've got several ultra buddies (one who did 100 in a very nice time last weekend) that never even touch salt. But everyone is different.

* Voin = you need to sign up for the Nashville Ultra. 50/60/70k and 50-miler. It's as flat and fast as these things come. And we're playing some HBC that day, so no big loss. Saturday 11/2.

* I've been daydreaming of a half iron for a long time, and I have one picked out....provided it fits into my schedule.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/new-orleans.aspx#axzz2f6luCUSu

A week after the Final Four. MCF, anth, etc....
eek.r191677.gif

Let's do it.

-Likely shooting for this same 1/2 MCF is doing in Augusta for 2014. Great course, easy ass swim, flat run. I can promise you I will be in no shape the week after the Final 4 to roll out my first 1/2IM. Not too mention I'll be on the road the 4 previous weekends for that little thing called the NCAAT.

Besides been kind of thinking it's time for me to pull the trigger on the full marathon after skipping the whole damn thing last year from FAT!1 I honestly think I could finish a full tomorrow. Now I just need to work on my pace and mix some distance in more often.

-LOVE LOVE LOVE the turn PTI has taken. Running with accessories taking supplements. Sweet irony.

-BTW, morning running right now in this are is ridiculous. If you're not getting out about 6am I feel for you and you're missing out. Glorious.

The New Orleans 70.3 used to be one of my dream races along with Alcatraz & Kona until they changed the course around. It used to run all through the the quarter and finish on Decatur. Now I believe it stays out by UNO and ends at a park just outside of it. Still, I'm down for just about any race so if you all are serious about it, I'll likely be there.

* Salt tabs... I tried them one race and couldn't stomach them for whatever reason. I do absolutely chug chicken broth and flat coke in any of the longer events that I do, which apparently has a similar effect. The coke more for settling your stomach and giving a short burst of energy.

* Ran my first 5k this morning since probably high school --> 23 minutes.
laugh.r191677.gif

Pretty much hated every second of that. Running hard just isn't that much fun.

(but i do need to work on it, for real)

* Did a little trail/canyon running in LA this weekend. Very cool scene/park/terrain. Hilly. Lots of dust/dirt/sand. 100% different from what I'm used to.

* Next race --> Nashville 50-miler. Can't get here soon enough. Ready to smoke this sucker.

-23:30 is my fastest 5k back a few years ago. I agree, it sucks.

-No idea what my times would be right now, I assume pretty solid for me but I haven't used a watch in months. Don't really plan to. Don't use an ipod either.

-Favorite thing to do when traveling, other than drink and eat, is go for a nice little jog.

*Did a 4 mile loop around Paris last year and crossed a big portion of the "sights" off in like 30-40 minutes.
*Went for a little run in Port Vendres, got lost, ended up on a really elevated cliff side situated b/w two ports that had an abandoned military post thing. Unbelievably cool.

James Fuller "Jim" Fixx (April 23, 1932 ? July 20, 1984) was the author of the jogging. Fixx died in 1984 at the age of 52.

Wilson Kipsang with a new WR Marathon time in Berlin today--> 2:03:23

Works out to a brisk 4:42 average mile.

Still think it's BS that Geoffrey Mutai's 2:03:02 in 2011 Boston doesn't count though. Although Boston's course has an overall decline in elevation, the second half is packed with difficult hills, whereas courses like Berlin, Chicago, and London are flat as pancakes. Boston is, IMO, a tougher course.

I'm making a doctor's appointment tomorrow to have my foot looked at. I've been battling what I thought was plantar fasciitis for the last 3 weeks or so. It was feeling a lot better, and I ran a few times this week. About 2.8 into a planned easy 3 miles, my foot suddenly hurt really badly, and I had to limp home.

I'm pretty sure it's not plantar fasciitis. I think it is posterior tibial tendonitis because the pain is more on the side of the arch and ankle. Has anyone dealt with that before? I've been doing the standard ice, stretching, and taking Aleve, and I thought those were helping. Now, it hurts to walk on it.

PTI - what do you typically run a 50 miler in? Does that put you in the middle of the pack?

Originally posted by WayneDougan:

PTI - what do you typically run a 50 miler in? Does that put you in the middle of the pack?

10:30is-13:30ish. I'm slow. Middle of the pack at best.

Augusta just another city with a badass run/bike trail setup. Super jealous of our friends setup there. Basically she lives in norton commons still township that's situated right on the river and about 5 steps from a great trail that follows the river about 10 miles. Really fun running community there as well as she is basically the mother figure for the whole group.

Ursch if we're going to do one, that's it.

It was pretty comical to be honest. Classic example of overkill on the bike and coming out too quick on the run. I knew I had moved into a spot for top 15 in my age group so I got too greedy and had full out muscle shut down. Limped into a nice 2:07 half marathon time. 5:19 total and 16 minutes slower than my best.

Still, I was flat amazed at my swim. 23 minutes and 80th of about 2700 people. Came out of the water with the leaders on the bike and I tried to ride with them. Basically shelled my legs there.

Great time there though and fully planning on doing it again. Great course and our friends there are a blast. Probably the best overall race setup I've seen. And yes, if you can't swim, this is the best race available.

Oh, and the fastest marathon record went down this past weekend in Berlin.

2:03:21 by Wilson Kipsang

laugh.r191677.gif

Looking at the splits, I couldn't even keep up with these guys for a quarter mile. Just hard to fathom how fast they actually run.

* Planning on signing up for Augusta again next year. Pretty bummed a few days after about how that went down.

Originally posted by legalbeagle123:
^^
Sudden onset of pain might be an indicator of a stress fracture.
I was kind of fearing it but there really isn't any bone in the area that is sore. I went to the doctor today, and it's soft tissue - the posterior tibial tendon like I thought. It's just not getting better with the rest, ice, and ibuprofen I've been doing. It doesn't help that I'm on my feet all day at work and can't really change that. So I'm in a boot and start PT tomorrow. She told me to take 2 weeks off running and then see. Hopefully that will get this healed. Foot stuff worries me since I know it can linger.

Needed to update my 10k pace for the ragnar relay in February so I finally ran with my Garmin last night.

First of all I have been running without watch or music for over a year. I just don't like running with anything I don't need. It's annoying plus I'm looking at it constantly which prevents me from finding my runners zone.

Anyway, steady pace was 8:03. Pretty happy with that knowing in race format I could go lower.

Couple cool races we've found looking for a relay:

Ragnar Trail - WV - Looks like a trail relay, except you don't drive anywhere you camp out in a village complete with live music and a beer garden.
laugh.r191677.gif
Sounds awesome.

Blue Ridge Relay -
eek.r191677.gif
Looks pretty damn brutal. Including a couple of legs with 1400'+ elevation gain over 6 miles.

"...demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. Fixx died in 1984 at the age of 52"

Awful young to die for someone who ran so much....makes you wonder about what exactly those benefits are

Surely didn't benefit him...

Originally posted by Blueathletics:
"...demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. Fixx died in 1984 at the age of 52"

Awful young to die for someone who ran so much....makes you wonder about what exactly those benefits are

Surely didn't benefit him...
Sweet, don't run or do cardio and see how that works out for ya. Congrats on FAT!!

I have a feeling I either have a minor injury, or have one coming on. I may have overdone it last week...

tue = 15
wed = 9
sat = 23
sun = 12

total = 59

Pain is coming from my heel/achilles area. It's not too bad right now, but clearly I need a few days off.

- tendinitis?
- stress fracture?
- anyone?

How big of an increase is that to your weekly mileage?

I have some Achilles tendinitis issues that pop up nearly every time I up my mileage quick or overdo speed work. Only issue I've went to the doctor in the past few years since it basically stopped me in my tracks. Started out as a dull, nagging pain in the heel and would progress up the Achilles if I kept running.

Kind of weird but all the advice I got was to start doing calf drops on a step or curb to stretch it out and strengthen the area. Obviously, I also cut back on running and started icing/heat. Tons of crap on Runners World and the other mags about it.

Mileage isn't out of the ordinary. I'm usually between 35-55. But 3 of the 4 days I ran hard. I think that's what did it.

Guess I'll just lay off it and start back nice and easy. Got a new pair of shoes on the way. Maybe I'll wait until those suckers get here in a week or so.

mad.r191677.gif

Most likely culprit is tendonitis if it's the back of the heel, plantar's if it's more toward the arch area.

I'm still laid up because of my foot. I'm hoping my PT releases me to run some this week since it's feeling better.

Most likely culprit is tendonitis if it's the back of the heel, plantar's if it's more toward the arch area.
back of the heel.

devil.r191677.gif

not happy right now.

laugh.r191677.gif

So you typically run 15-20 mile runs multiple times per week and have been doing so for years? Of course you're going to get injured weirdo. That has to be incredibly hard on your body.

I know you love running distance but I'm honestly worried if you don't take a more realistic approach to it, with your injury prone body, you're going to have a shortened career.

-Back to me.

My running is going great. Think I logged 29 last week in a much more reasonable manner.

Speed is good, very comfortable pace.

-Just got in some pink running shorts, they are really homosexual looking(serious). However they didn't have the specific style I wanted in any other color. Oh well.

-Think I'm doing that 1/2 next weekend in Louisville. Guess I need to sign up.

^^^
Anth has a good point. I ran 50-60 miles per week for 2-3 years and I think it caught up to me. Now, it's very difficult for me to muster two consecutive days of long runs.

You're probably safe to wear those through October, Anth, due to breast cancer awareness month and then you're going to have to put them away.

Completely reset my training program after a severe abdominal strain. That shit hurts and it was shooting severe pain down into my right hip. I was literally in so much pain that I couldn't lift my right leg the next day after a long run. After 2 weeks of strong NSAIDs and muscle relaxers, it mostly went away but still twinges some. Was advised to reduce my distance for a while until it calms down completely. Getting about 20/week right now. Would like to be hitting 30 right now, but something is better than nothing.

^^^
Anth has a good point. I ran 50-60 miles per week for 2-3 years and I think it caught up to me. Now, it's very difficult for me to muster two consecutive days of long runs.
I'm looking everywhere for the article I read about long runs but it came out during the popularity of Less/Faster.

Anyway, essentially anything over a certain distance I believe it was 15-16 on a regular basis tends to become counter productive for training. I can't find the damn thing. I would think 4-5 8-10 mile segments + 1 long run every 7-14 days with 24 hour break would be much more reasonable.

Regardless 50-60 miles is ridiculous and for someone that literally lives to run I just don't see how that can last. You're body isn't meant for that type of running.

Found this on Active but I'll keep looking:

5. RUNNING TOO MANY LONG RUNS BACK-TO-BACK
It's easy to get caught up in the numbers game. That is, getting in a lot of back-to-back long training runs and believing you have to run the race distance before you run the race. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. A long run schedule should ebb and flow through two to three building weeks and cutback weeks to recover.
Once you get into the longer miles, you can alternate a longer run one weekend with a shorter run the next. This allows your body time to recover from the last effort before you hit your next building long run. Running too many long runs back to back (12, 13, 14, 15, 16...) can lead you quickly and efficiently to no man's land where you're fatigued and struggle to make it through the day. It's not about the total miles. It's about the quality of the long runs.

ADVERTISEMENT