ADVERTISEMENT

I may have seen it all - ACL

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Since Denver is experiencing typical weekend weather right now (much colder than even 24 hours ago, possible rain/sleet coming in and 40+ mph winds constantly), I've been inside most of the day. Clicking through the channels, on the CBS station, I paused. Unbelievably, there was the ACL being televised. What's the ACL, you ask? Why, it's the American Cornhole League. I kid you not.

A barely interesting pastime when drinking while waiting on some other activity to begin, is now a professional/team sport? Good Lord, I thought televising poker tournaments was about as stupid and ridiculous as it got. Sadly, I was wrong.

I cannot imagine who would be watching this. And, I cannot imagine an incentive that would entice me to purchase a ticket to watch in person. When I hear commentators talk about the dumbing down of America, I will think of the 5 seconds I wasted confirming that the ACL in fact exists.

I'd rather watch that than their talking heads scream at each other. I know that's a very low bar but still.
Pretty much. If I had to sit in a TV studio and blather about sports 5 or 6 hours a day, think I would have to be in a straitjacket first.

Since Denver is experiencing typical weekend weather right now (much colder than even 24 hours ago, possible rain/sleet coming in and 40+ mph winds constantly), I've been inside most of the day. Clicking through the channels, on the CBS station, I paused. Unbelievably, there was the ACL being televised. What's the ACL, you ask? Why, it's the American Cornhole League. I kid you not.

A barely interesting pastime when drinking while waiting on some other activity to begin, is now a professional/team sport? Good Lord, I thought televising poker tournaments was about as stupid and ridiculous as it got. Sadly, I was wrong.

I cannot imagine who would be watching this. And, I cannot imagine an incentive that would entice me to purchase a ticket to watch in person. When I hear commentators talk about the dumbing down of America, I will think of the 5 seconds I wasted confirming that the ACL in fact exists.

They also now televise pickelball, which admittedly is somewhat more of a sport than cornhole, but just barely . . .

Reactions: gamecockcat
In the 80's, ESPN didn't have the rights to any major sports leagues. So their programming was mostly sports news and stuff just as bad as cornhole. This was especially true in non prime time hours. Their top live sports were arena football, various motor racing, bowling, wrestling and boxing.

Last edited:
I'd rather watch that than their talking heads scream at each other. I know that's a very low bar but still.
Word. ESPN was *MUCH, MUCH, MUCH* better when it featured sumo, strongman competitions, lumberjack events, and that stuff. Stephen A. or whomever bleating out flaming hot takes is awful.

Also, I thought American Cornhole League was a Mike Adriano production.

Reactions: roguemocha
Pretty much. If I had to sit in a TV studio and blather about sports 5 or 6 hours a day, think I would have to be in a straitjacket first.
This is sarcasm right? Has to be because I can’t imagine someone that posts on sports message boards all day not wanting to get paid to do it on TV. That would be awesome.

I can’t imagine why you’d watch me but I’d take the gig.

Cheap seats was so good. Also the history shows they had on ESPN or I guess it was ESPN classic. They got rid of all that for the talking heads.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT