ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

Originally posted by legalbeagle123:
Tons of hills and repeating parts of the same route?

Pass.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like to repeat part of a course. A friend of mine is pissed at me because I refuse to do the Bowling Green Marathon because its a double loop. Even on my personal training routes, I only have 1 that is an out and back.

That is a recipe for failure right there. A double loop on a moderately difficult course. It is a beautiful area but that is going to kill a majority of your possible participants right off the bat.

Starting to wonder if I've torn my meniscus in my left knee. Feels almost identical to when I did the same to right knee 10+ years ago. Swelling comes and goes, but it feels odd when I run and I can't bend it without a pop or a tightness to it. Ran 9 this morning and it didn't bother me too bad but definitely doesn't seem to be going away.

It's not even that beautiful. The Mt. Horeb part is the rest is pretty meh and it's on country roads which are terrible running.

It's cool though, like any race it'll gradually get better and the race will evolve.

Originally posted by PTI (pti):

* Knocked out my 7th 50-miler this weekend. Bartlett Park Ultras in Memphis.

http://www.runacrossamericaontrail.com/Welcome.html

* So, I'm now obsessed with these....

I've always heard opposing arguments re: salt tablets. Decided to get on a regular schedule on Saturday, and took 2-3/hour. Absolutely made a WORLD of difference. I barely even tired, didn't get nearly as sore as usual, never hit the proverbial wall. Just a total 180.

The science is something about how it helps your body stay hydrated. Which seems pretty important.

* Favorite moment = saw a dad and his son (couldnt have been more than 7 or 8) running the final 4ish-mile loop (of his 40-mile race) together. And this tiny little kid ran the whole way. Even wiped out at one point on the trail, and got back up and kept going. Very cool. The average kid in this country spends his Saturdays watching cartoons, eating cereal, and sucking down Mountain Dews. This kid knocked out a 4-5 mile run. Stud.

* Heading to LA this weekend for a wedding. Plan on putting in some miles with a buddy in Malibu. Eek.
Are you serious? 50 miles? Amazing. My car doesn't go 50 miles. Congrats.

Ran 44 miles last night in this....

http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=27735

....10 hours, self-supported.

Weather was about as agreeable as you could hope for. 80ish, slight breeze, no rain.

Trying to determine what to "spoil" myself with this evening for dinner. Given that I burned about 10,000 calories last night, it may be a Five Guys situation this evening.

These past few mornings have been fantastic weather. I've knocked out two sub 1:33 half distances just out in the neighborhood. Also got in 11.5 on Saturday morning in Chicago, which was fun. Contrast that with the half distance on Tuesday afternoon when I barely got in under 1:59.
sick.r191677.gif

Not going to last long unfortunately.

*Yes, I know I'm posting in the Running Thread. This isn't by accident.*

A question for you guys, particularly you central KY runners....

Our church is thinking of holding a 5K in the spring, with proceeds going to a program in Nairobi that puts shoes on the feet of kids in a particular slum there. When we get the details down, I'll be sure to come back and post the info in case any of you are interested in participating.

My question is this....what month/date should we shoot for, and what dates should we avoid? We want to do it in March, April, or May, and we know to avoid the Shamrock Shuffle, the Derby Festival, etc. Any other suggestions about the ideal time to have it, or times to avoid?

I'll hang up and listen to your response.

Get online and research every calendar you can think of.

Johns Run/Walk shop
runnersworld.com
marathonguide.com

(first 3 that came to mind)

Try to pick a date where there isn't another big race. You may even want to call John's and ask them for advice. At minimum, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you advertise.

John's is very friendly to helping out new races, so at least call them and ask for advice. Also, consider contacting 3-way racing. Those guys are good guys also and are helpful.

You definitely want to avoid the Shamrock Shuffle (March), RunTheBluegrass (March), Derby Festival (April), and Horse Capital (May). That said, those last 3 races are much longer distances, so not a huge threat to your 5k runners. The others to avoid of the Bluegrass 10000 (July) and the Midsummer's Night Run (August).

We're actually considering doing it immediately after New Year's, as one of those "resolution races". It just fits best with the church schedule, and doesn't interfere with the big Spring races or a race in the Fall that we help sponsor.

We just need to decide in the next 10 days or so whether we can pull it off in five months.

Just happened to be visiting Death Valley one year when the Badwater was being run. Didn't know what it was at the time, just remember seeing people who looked like they were absolutely miserable. It was just shy of 120 degrees that particular day.

The Caballo Blanco Ultra is the feature on Esquire's show Boundless(which is a cool show). Worth a watch for sure. Set you DVR for when it comes on again. Looks absolutely brutal but goes into Micah's history a bit.

My running has been shit, been logging a lot of miles on the bike though. Been trying to get at least 125+ in per week and running maybe once a week. Need to get my diet right.

* If you remember "Barefoot Ted" from Born to Run, I keep seeing all kinds of stuff from him on thefacebook. There's a kickstarter campaign for a Caballo Blanco movie. Obviously there's not enough interest in that goofball for a 30 for 30, but I think that type of movie is what the producers are shooting for.

* I think in the fall I'm going to start gearing up for a marathon PR. It is just *way* too hot in the summer to train for speedwork. Literally just zaps all of your energy. I have a buddy that's currently doing this....

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathoning-hansons-way

(hansons method)

....so I may shoot for the Louisiana Marathon (Baton Rouge -- mid-January)

* Hottest I've ever run = 109 degrees (a few weeks ago in Scottsdale). Badwater gets over 120 -- and NO shade. If you'll notice, those people typically wear long-sleeve shirts/safari hats/pants/etc. Strange to see, but they have to in order to avoid 3rd degree sunburns.

Thinking hard about doing the Tunnel Hill 100 in Vienna, Illinois in November. Billed as a flat, fast course (as 100 milers go). Mental preparation going into that will be a big factor.

I know some people who have done the Hanson method and they PRed but they said they hated the training plan itself.

Oh, not hellish at all. It's actually a blast. Make sure your crew gets a couple hotel rooms in Danville. That way you can get 3-4 hours sleep and a good shower. That really helps. Kind of drags on towards the end but the overnight is a lot of fun. We didn't get a room in Miami-KW and thats tough. Going the whole way in the van wears on you.

Pack a bunch of waters, gatorades, food, cooler and some folding chairs in the van. Probably take a pillow or two.

* Rocked long white sleeves in IM Louisville a few years back on the bike/run and made a world of difference for me. You see a bunch of the bigger professionals at the IM World Champs wear them.

* Speaking of, Ironman Louisville is moving to October in 2015. I just figured that next year being the last year of the contract would be the end of it. That said, I'm going to give it one last run and try to get it done in 11.5 hours.

* Horrible running shape right now. Have had hamstring/knee troubles since May and can't keep it sturdy enough to run anything of measure.

* Bourbon chase is a pretty easy race to run. Temps are almost always perfect. Most of the course is rolling with the exception of two pretty decent hills that are on shorter legs. Just a great race.

And unlike Anth, I actually preferred just skipping the hotel room like in Key West. I mean the 1-2 hours of sleep didn't do anything for me anyhow.

-My only thing was that good shower and having somewhere to stretch out for a little bit. That made a big difference. Think I'm going to take one of those camping hammocks this year. The shower in Key West was
sick.r191677.gif

Running was horrible today. Once it started to heat up, it really heated up. Just miserable out there.

But the year I ran with y'all we had those pimp conversion vans. Could've just slept in those but that hotel was nice for 4 hours or so.

* If you get the chance to run Bourbon Chase, do it. I had a blast even though Anth gave me the worst hill on the whole course.

devil.r191677.gif

^I had that hill the year before. Hell the first leg was a pain in the ass coming out of makers. Those were legit rollers. Hardest leg of the race.

-I ran Saturday and it was perfect. Slight overcast, very very light right, about 78. Great weather.

-Speed is there, running really well, just need to get my endurance back.

One of you interested in doing the Bourbon Chase? We're trying to find 1 more team member. $125 individual entry and then costs around the rooms, vans, etc.

Voin - We really do. Unless the team captain comes back and tells me she found someone else in the time it takes her to read my email, it's yours.

email me at ladycat92.1974@gmail.com with your name, preferred email, and pace. And so that we don't go all Anth on you, if there's a leg you know you don't want to run or absolutely want to run, throw that in as well.

So, Ursch... Leadville recap?

And sorry for not being able to make it. Between my hamstring being lame since May and my wife's scheduling of a birthday trip to Chicago nixed that from the get-go.

Leadville recap...

2013RunProfile.JPG

Boring stuff about me:

- the race is kinda setup in 3 stages. 0-40 miles, then 20 miles of Hope Pass (10 over and 10 back), then 40 miles again in reverse. take Hope out of the equation, and the race is still pretty brutal. straight up and straight down.
- elevation didn't effect me too bad, until about a mile from the top of Hope, when I was struggling to stand, was dizzy, had a massive headache, felt like I was carrying a piano, etc.
- i actually felt great at mile 40, and was in the aid station in 9:30, right where i wanted to be. but Hope KILLED me. the next 10 miles took about 5 hours, I missed the cutoff, and my race was over. an out and back course, so that meant i ran the entire thing once.
- no regrets. cant even describe how awesome it was. the views, the scenery....whew. just happy to be there. /cliche

Cool stuff about the week:

12526_10100459741936911_7242319031357550016_n.jpg

My new buddy Bill Finkbeiner. Met him on the trail, and like a jackwagon, didn't figure out who he was for quite some time. 30-time finisher, and broke the streak this year. Dude. 30 freaking years of completing this ridiculously hard race. He's 58 now, and ready to give this one a break. His pacer this year was to be Ann Trason, but he didn't make it. So she paced some guy who had no clue who she was.

http://ultrasignup.com/results_participant.aspx?fname=Ann&lname=Trason

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/man-will-run-30th-consecutive-100-miler-this-weekend

10486466_10100459742251281_8043332716432832571_n.jpg

Me and Ken Chlouber, founder. He's 75 now, and carries a bad MF'er wallet. For real. 17-time finisher, and didn't even start the race until he was 44. His pep talk was something like this....

"DON'T YOU DARE QUIT. IF YOU QUIT, YOU ARE NOW ALLOWED BACK NEXT YEAR. YOU WILL NO QUIT. DIG DEEP. DIG INTO THAT WELL OF GRIT AND GUTS AND DETERMINATION, AND DO NOT QUIT. YOU HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE COUNTING ON YOU, AND IF YOU QUIT YOU LET DOWN ME, YOU LET DOWN YOUR MOMMA, YOUR DADDY, YOUR WHOLE FAMILY, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR CO-WORKERS, AND ALL OF YOUR LOVED ONES. I'LL SEE YOU BACK HERE AT THE FINISH!!"

He also was all over the place all week, including standing at the finish to bear hug every finisher. He lives for this stuff, and LOVES the pain and agony you go thru to get there. Just eats up the physical abuse. Stud.

10428441_10100459742121541_8471202358691629959_n.jpg

This was your replacement, MCF. Sooooo......yeah. No worries, bud!
smokin.r191677.gif

10610702_10153083056604972_9191329459251819422_n.jpg

Me and champ Rob Krar. Nice as could be, and was asking all kinds of questions about MY "race."

Some other randoms...

- saw Dennis V (of Athletes in Tandem) hauling ace down Hope Pass. I would have been at about mile 43 while his horse was at 57ish -- and MOVING. Did a double take, as I had no idea he'd be there. Was going to yell at him, but the last thing a pacer of some superstar wants to do is slow down to chat.

- met Liza Howard (2010 women's winner, 2014 runner up) in the local coffee shop.

- Views were absolutely stunning. Several times I literally stopped just to observe.

- saw a former co-worker, had no clue he was doing the race. we ran together a few times last year at a national conference, and i specifically remember him telling me ultras were crazy. he's more of a tri/crossfit guy. and he finished at 29:45. awesome.

Look at this backdrop...

10561570_10100458955223491_8981101165923796559_n.jpg

10533493_10100459188845311_1528264363363424112_n.jpg

Leaving mile 40 aid station, heading for that huge peak ahead.

Originally posted by PTI (pti):

This was your replacement, MCF. Sooooo......yeah. No worries, bud!
smokin.r191677.gif

10610702_10153083056604972_9191329459251819422_n.jpg
Judging from his awesome beard, you were in much better hands than my bitch ass. My biggest worry for you from the beginning was that quick of an altitude change. Ascending 3k+ feet to 12,500 over the span of five miles is tough on anyone not used to altitude, and even tougher after 40 miles. Just near impossible to keep that heart rate steady.

Jealous as hell not to even be there. Just to see the top of any extreme sport like that is something different that's hard to explain to others.

And
laugh.r191677.gif
at Dennis. I'm pretty sure last week he knocked out Ironman Boulder... while doing the Athlete in Tandem deal the entire flipping 140.6 miles.

^^^
Craziness.

I'm considering signing up for the Tunnel Hill 100 in November. Two laps on a 50-mile course, supposed to be one of the flattest, fastest 100-milers out there. Aid stations every 5 miles or so.

But first, Berlin is about 5 weeks away, and the last of the 6 World Majors for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT