ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

pg-yoga-for-back-pain-08-full.jpg

This one came to mind.

*So, Mo Farah makes his marathon race DEBUT at the London Marathon, knocks out a 2:08+, finishes 8th, and is disappointed.
laugh.r191677.gif

*Leaving for Boston Friday.
smokin.r191677.gif

Running the mini next weekend. Would love to run 9 min splits, but doubt I do. My speed training is shit and I have put on some extra weight that is reeking havoc on my endurance. My goal is to simply finish and feel good throughout. This is all about health, fun and setting a good example for children.
wink.r191677.gif

Ran my last full marathon in the fall of 2004. Will never run another one. Glad I did it, but it's just not something I am disciplined enough to do any more. I have a hard enough time getting a way for a couple of hours to train for the half.

Deep Oak, way to beast that half. I had some runs like that in my 20's. Now in my late 30s, I am not expecting to see anything like that again. Congrats.

* Ran 23 today, and felt surprisingly good. It's fixin to get hot as balls up in here.

* There's a multi-purpose bike/walk/etc path on top of the levee that goes for miles and miles and miles (in fact there's a 135ish-mile race from here to Baton Rouge on it). Unfortunately, about 1-2 miles right where I usually hop on is closed for work......and of course my buddy and I plowed right through the DANGER WARNING NO TRESPASSING signs. Got a stern lecture from a levee cop, who informed us "do you have any idea how hard you make our job??!"

Uhhhh.....yeah, buddy. So, what are you going to do now with your other 23 hours and 59 minutes today?
rolleyes.r191677.gif

* Got a 50-miler in Biloxi next weekend.

* Serious training for Leadville starts 5/1.

* Not gonna lie -- my shorts are getting shorter as I get older. I'm down to 4-inch inseams nowadays. It's all good, though. Sticks look amazing.

Went through all of my running gear today and tossed about half of it. I've got so many tech shirts from races that a cleansing was needed. Also purged about half of my winter gear.

BTW - champion.com is having a 60% off sale right now if anyone is interested. Pretty much closing out their winter gear but they have warm weather gear available too as long as you don't care about it being last year's stuff.

* KDF Marathon this weekend... be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Longest run in training was 19 and some change at an 8 minute pace that felt really comfortable. But I'm so weird about pacing and being so used to running 13.1 at basically an all out pace, am a little concerned about absolutely blowing up.

Forecast looks great. They actually took out the only other "hill" besides Iroquois because of the bridge construction. Goal pace is going to be around 3:30 to try and get a feel for how to run one of these things the right way.

* My shorts are obnoxiously short now. My American flag ones that I have worn a few times...

Are just obscene. But damn they are comfortable. For whatever reason I only chafe in longer shorts now. No clue if it has to do with how my stride is these days but, whatever I guess...

* First time in about 6 years that I have nothing planned for the summer. I may do a half ironman in Muncie or Birmingham, but I haven't touched my bike since November. Signed up for the Indianapolis Marathon in the fall but that is it. Don't feel like keeping this kind of mileage up all through the summer anyhow.

* Excited to watch Boston this year. The American chick who nearly broke the drought is entered again and should be competitive against this field. And Ryan Hall is running on the men's side where he should be able to be top 5 again.

I'm in the worst running shape I've been in since I've started running. Carrying about 20 extra pounds and nursing a sore knee. Cold winter didn't help. Finally starting to enjoy running again - instead of doing it because I "know I need to".

Slugged through the Murray Half last Saturday. Hilly - rolling, whatever. Warmest day of the year. 56 or so at beginning of the race, 76 when I got back to the car. Timed me with a sun dial, but I actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. Going to dial up the training and hope to be back to where I was a couple of years ago by this fall.

Originally posted by Voinovich.:
PTI (pti): y'all still running CCC? Will be in the area again but if I run I'll have to sign up at the expo down there.
I haven't signed up yet, but could probably be convinced to. Great post-race party. Unlimited free food and beer. TS. Eek.

The lass has friends in town this weekend, too. So we'll be crushing Bourbon Street Saturday night if you wanna tag along.

Got to experience that whole marathon wall deal...

Made it through the first twenty miles at a 7:50 pace and on track for a 3:25. Finished in 3:42 with a 8:30 pace. Had to hit the port-a-john by Central Park and the legs basically never got back going. Pretty ticked off about it so I went ahead and signed up for the Indy Marathon in November. As expected, I went out way too fast. Just impossible for me to control pace in that type of setting.

Don't feel that bad today. Probably jump head first into cycling and swimming for the next two months to cut some weight, then get back to running full steam in July.

MCF, you were probably pretty close to my brother and SIL for a lot of the race. They were around a 7:54 pace for the first 20. My sister-in-law qualified for Boston with a 3:31. My brother paced her, and when I saw them at mile 22, he looked like he had barely broken a sweat. His quad cramped up at 24 and he ended up having to walk a good chunk at the end, finishing at 3:34.

I've barely run since September. That's when I hurt my foot and couldn't run until December which is when the cold hit. I can run in summer no problems, but the cold beats me up. I'm motivated now to get going again but it's tough because I feel like I'm building from the beginning again. Then again, my half PR was after a terrible lay-off too so if I can get back out there, I'll be fine.

I love the Indy half. I'd totally consider it as a full.

Saw LBsloot out there cheering everyone on. I took a nice little tumble at mile 5 thanks to someone clipping me and I never recovered. I finished the race but when I fell, I slammed my knee against the pavement and was pretty much touched at that point.

Yup... I would have been right around them for almost the whole way. I ran with the same group from mile 2 to mile 20. Was demoralizing not being able to keep pace with them and then getting passed by the 3:30 pace group at mile 22 and then the 3:40 pace group at 25.

Sucks about the trip. The one thing that the KDF race sucks at is enforcing corrals and at people crossing the street. I was in the C corral and was weaving in and out of walkers for the first 5 minutes. Also about got clipped towards the end by someone coming through the barrier on Main St. I also saw some poor lady absolutely eat it by running into a fire hydrant within the first 400m.

Yes, corral enforcement at KDF is awful and this year it just seemed to be way worse. I started in E and for the first mile or so all I did was weave my way through walkers. There were all kinds of people from "I" that lined up in E to the point that I looked behind me to see if they just put us all in E, but no they truly had corrals at least back to "I", if not more. I don't mind if people want to walk the race. Good on them for trying. But it's a safety issue when you have 16K people taking off and you have a bunch of people weaving in and out because a subset of people won't start where they're supposed to. Plus, if you're going to walk, at least get off to the edge. Nothing like some gaggle of Stepford wives who spread out 4-5 wide across the middle of the lane, chatting and gossiping while everyone else tries to figure out how to get around them.

All in all, I've done about 25 races and that's the first time I've bit it, so I guess I consider myself lucky.

Great running folks...Sorry to hear about your fall LC. Planed to run it but had no idea about the cut-off registration and got lazy on it. Went to law school in Louisville and had a lot of friends running, looked like a blast.

MCF- Feel ya on the cycling and swimming. Knoxville Tri coming up May 18th and am crashing the pool trying to bring my stroke up to speed. Really really enjoy it, but damn it's hard. I'll get there. Should have probably started like 5 months ago! What are you prepping for MCF? A part of me is considering the 70.3 down in Augusta this fall.

* I have no doubt MCF is *way* faster than that. Sub 3:30, for sure. Louisville is a fairly hilly course, too. Not one to target a PR on. That's a great start to your marathoning career. Learn from your first race, and come back and crush your next one.

* I'll be in Chicago this week for work. Made running buddies with a gal in our San Antonio office last year...

....who has a marathon PR of like 2:52.
laugh.r191677.gif

She's just a few minutes off Olympic Trials. Crazy. Thank god she slows up to jog with me.

* I've been taking my dog on 1-mile runs 3 days a week or so. Lemme tell you -- he LOVES it. Further proof that running is awesome, and makes everyone happier.

Not really training for anything. I may do a half iron in Muncie in July, but probably won't. Only other thing I've signed up for other than the marathon in November is the Ohio River Swim here in Louisville. Not even sure if I'll do that either. I just enjoy cycling and swimming a lot and need a little bit of a breather from running.

* And definitely a damn humbling experience with the marathon. Just a ton more than being a good runner goes into it with a lot of mileage. I'm so used to the 1/2 and just going out, red-lining the entire way and rolling in the last mile or so. That said, I loved the whole suffering portion of the last eight or so miles. Much more mentally challenging than I expected.

* If you are going to do Augusta 70.3, you are going to have to do it on a charity spot if they still have those left. It is sold out last I checked. Awesome race though, especially if you are a poor swimmer.

3:19:37 in Boston today. Almost perfect weather, and beats the hell out of 90 degrees two years ago and barely coming in under 4:00. Ran every step, even on all the way through Heartbreak Hill. Very pleased.

Glad to see Meb get the big W.

So Meb won Boston... that is pretty bad ass. Almost exact splits across the board too. The video of the last 400m is awesome.

Check out this ridiculousness:

@DeanKarnazes: 3:42 on the 26.2 mile run to the starting line, 3:25 on the marathon race back. Boston Double Strong!

Ran the mini and accomplished most of my goals.

1. Finished
2. Ran the whole way
3. Didn't shit myself
4. Had fun!
5. Got to set a good example for my son who was at mile marker 12 cheering me on. He was smiling ear to ear. Not a surprise that I ran my best split after that.
wink.r191677.gif

My time was shit, but I don't care. I felt good for the most part and enjoyed every step.

Running the Iron Mom Half Marathon in Paducah in May.

Originally posted by -BBH-:
Ran the mini and accomplished most of my goals.

1. Finished
2. Ran the whole way
3. Didn't shit myself
4. Had fun!
5. Got to set a good example for my son who was at mile marker 12 cheering me on. He was smiling ear to ear. Not a surprise that I ran my best split after that.
wink.r191677.gif

My time was shit, but I don't care. I felt good for the most part and enjoyed every step.

Running the Iron Mom Half Marathon in Paducah in May.
Iron Mom is a decent little race, though you'll be disappointed in the after-party and food (we honestly don't do a good job with that). I know that course like the back of my hand, it's my normal "Saturday Run". A little rolling in the middle half but not actually hill. Maybe a mile of gravel trail.

I'll be working the timing station at the halfway point - hope you have a great race.

^ Where is the half way point? Noble Park?

Really looking forward to the race, my first time. I knew that part of the race was on the Greenway. I have ran it a couple of times and enjoy the change of scenery.

Originally posted by legalbeagle123:
3:19:37 in Boston today. Almost perfect weather, and beats the hell out of 90 degrees two years ago and barely coming in under 4:00. Ran every step, even on all the way through Heartbreak Hill. Very pleased.

Glad to see Meb get the big W.
Congrats man, can't imagine being a part of that.

* Finished my 11th (i think) 50-miler yesterday, in about 11:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YauqIUrl-Kc&list=UUvrV4-PYOs3WrwS5Oea-XKA

Badlands 50 -- in Biloxi, MS.

5:00 mark = chick who won the 50k was
eek.r191677.gif

6:00 mark = 50-mile winner sprints thru the finish, straight to his truck, and immediately pops a beer. dude is ridiculous. he typicallys drinks a few *during* a race. just picked up running 2-3 years ago, in his 40s.

I'm the dude in the blue singlet and bald head, fwiw.

Originally posted by legalbeagle123:
Pretty cool video. Can't envision a scenario where I'd ever want to tackle a trail run.
Really??

Kinda surprises me. Trails come in all varieties. Yesterday's race was about as straightforward as you can get. No rugged terrain, hills, or water crossings. Now, I've slogged around thru the mud, waded thru knee-deep water, run miles and miles over rocks and tree roots.....so i get that. I don't know that I prefer one vs another (trail vs road). Both cool in their own way.

Most ultras are on trails -- they pretty much have to be. Because of the cost, permits, distance, time constraints, etc -- it's extremely difficult to organize a city/road ultra.

Partly physical, but mostly mental. I've sprained my right ankle severely multiple times. Doesn't take much for it to give way and roll a little, or alot, depending on the terrain. I'd spend my whole time staring at the ground and worrying about stepping on something.

* So Ursch, I'm assuming you are still in on this Leadville deal?

* I have the skinniest ankles in the world and am highly prone to rolling an ankle with little cause... and I love trails. If anything, it made my ankles a little stronger. Only thing it doesn't really help IMO is your overall speed.

* Got back on the running deal again after my legs started to come back to life. I think my biggest downfall lately is the lack of actual tempo or speed work that I do. Probably would explain why I've been so durable for the last year or so, but also probably explains the lack of progress as well.

*Doing my first full marathon this weekend at the Flying Pig in Cincinnati. After training for the past 18 weeks, I'm pretty excited and finally do the race. Those hills look pretty crazy, but atleast they are on the front end of the race. I'm aiming pretty conservatively to finish in just under 4 hours.

*Having never trained for a full marathon before, I had no idea how time consuming it could be compaired to training for 10ks and halfs. The worst is the long midweek run. Working all day then coming straight home to drop 10 miles and then go to bed was pretty miserable. I actually loved the really long weekend runs like the 20 miler and the 22 miler. I had a ton of fun running the entire length of the Legacy Trail too.

*I was getting some pain on the outside back/bottom of my left foot and didn't really know what was up with it. Switched back to my old shows and it pretty much starts to go away. Weird because they are essentially the exact same she only one is a racing flat version of the other shoe.

*Stoked that we got into the Bourbon Chase for later this year. I've been wanting to do it for a while now, but getting in seemed damn near impossible. Its pretty expensive to participate, but I've heard nothing but great thnigs about it.

Originally posted by MobileCatFan:
* So Ursch, I'm assuming you are still in on this Leadville deal?
* Indeed. Registered, flight booked, hotel reserved. Pumped.

* Real training starts on Monday. That gives me 3+ months to really get to work.

Originally posted by goose41:

*Doing my first full marathon this weekend at the Flying Pig in Cincinnati. After training for the past 18 weeks, I'm pretty excited and finally do the race. Those hills look pretty crazy, but atleast they are on the front end of the race. I'm aiming pretty conservatively to finish in just under 4 hours.

*Having never trained for a full marathon before, I had no idea how time consuming it could be compaired to training for 10ks and halfs. The worst is the long midweek run. Working all day then coming straight home to drop 10 miles and then go to bed was pretty miserable. I actually loved the really long weekend runs like the 20
My first marathon is in 2 weeks. Excited to do it. I have no time goal. I just want to finish without major issues (no cramping, no vomiting, no shitting). Like you, I was amazed at how much time it takes up. I've been pretty faithful to my training which has meant 4 days of running and 4 days of cross training, resulting in 2-a-days twice a week. I honestly don't know how people train for the Ironman and make the time commitment. I would be tired all the time.

PTI, didn't you come through a spell of Achilles Tendonitis this winter?

Went for a run this past Tuesday, out of nowhere felt a sharp sudden pain in my Achilles about 3 blocks from the start, knew something was up. Had to actually turn around and walk home. In the process of training for a Tri that is two weeks away in Knoxville (may 18th) so I figured I would R&R it for a few days (ice & elevation). In the meantime I have continued swimming and riding as those don't bother it at all, but have not felt any improvement with the achillies, kind of limp just walking. Feels rusty and sore. From everything I've read online, people seem to make the mistake of trying to work through this kind of 'tweak' which can make it serious, I'm not going to do that. Just concerned bc it hasn't improved any with 5 days off and ice. What the hell can an man do?

This post was edited on 5/4 12:25 PM by Deep_oak

This post was edited on 5/4 12:50 PM by Deep_oak

I've decided to do Couch to 5K. I haven't run regularly in about 10 years and whenever I do, I get shin splints. I'm getting fitted for some decent running shoes this weekend but I was wondering if any of you have ever used the compression socks/leg sleeves for shin splints? Do they work?

Had a pretty serious achilles issue at the end of last year. I took 5-6 full weeks off at one point, then another 2 in January. Sucked. No sharp pain, though. Mine was clearly from overuse. Basically, my heel/ankle felt like a really rusty door hinge.

Injuries just come with the territory, and the simple fix is the same in most cases = rest.

Depending on the severity, try no cardio for a period, and then slowly start working in elliptical/bike/etc.

Morehead -

I've never used them for shin splints, but I generally wear them on my really long runs and they make a difference as far as your shins / calves fatiguing. I would say start first though with getting the proper shoes and secondly, slow your pace. You may be striking too hard which could be causing them also. Once you build up some strength in those muscles, then pick it up and see if you still get them.

ADVERTISEMENT