ADVERTISEMENT

Not a single post relating to UK football today on KSR

Again, I dont do the official UK football anything. We have our own show that is on the same station in Lexington as the official one but it isn't connected to the University.

If me not being able to pronounce a name means I am not a fan, then don't listen tomorrow because I can't pronounce the Greek basketball recuit's name and will make fun of the fact that I cannot.

My entire show is in part about making fun of how little I (and Ryan) know. I am sure that everyone else that covers UK football is not only an expert but has intricate knowledge of the game. Some of those people have shows, websites, etc...listen, read, or watch those.

And the reason the UK coaches come on our show...because we have a large audience, they appreciate the invite and they want to reach the fans. And because they (unlike some of the folks complaining in this thread) want to make the UK football tent as large as possible...not split the fanbase (and fan media) into who is a "real" fan and who isn't.
Matt you'll never get through to some of the football only fans. They HATE the fact that Cal has our basketball program at an astronomical level and HATE the fact that UK is back to being the basketball IT school.

What they don't see is that UK Basketball with Cal at the helm is a positive for football as well because Cal crosses over and helps anytime he can with making appearances during recruit visits and at practices and allowing recruits to tour the basketball facilities as well.

Stoops is doing a great job and consistent 7-8 win seasons is a real possibility soon with him IMO, but why some feel you cannot be a fan of both sports equally is beyond me.

When 6 players get drafted and KSR is in New York to cover do you really think that there won't/shouldn't be 100% coverage of the NOW event that is broadcastin Kentucky in the spotlight?

Matt you'll never get through to some of the football only fans. They HATE the fact that Cal has our basketball program at an astronomical level and HATE the fact that UK is back to being the basketball IT school.

What they don't see is that UK Basketball with Cal at the helm is a positive for football as well because Cal crosses over and helps anytime he can with making appearances during recruit visits and at practices and allowing recruits to tour the basketball facilities as well.

Stoops is doing a great job and consistent 7-8 win seasons is a real possibility soon with him IMO, but why some feel you cannot be a fan of both sports equally is beyond me.

When 6 players get drafted and KSR is in New York to cover do you really think that there won't/shouldn't be 100% coverage of the NOW event that is broadcastin Kentucky in the spotlight?

That has absolutely zero relevance. Regardless, I love all UK sports...basketball and football the most. It's the basketball only people that keep inventing this argument.

Reactions: catben
Again, I dont do the official UK football anything. We have our own show that is on the same station in Lexington as the official one but it isn't connected to the University.

If me not being able to pronounce a name means I am not a fan, then don't listen tomorrow because I can't pronounce the Greek basketball recuit's name and will make fun of the fact that I cannot.

My entire show is in part about making fun of how little I (and Ryan) know. I am sure that everyone else that covers UK football is not only an expert but has intricate knowledge of the game. Some of those people have shows, websites, etc...listen, read, or watch those.

And the reason the UK coaches come on our show...because we have a large audience, they appreciate the invite and they want to reach the fans. And because they (unlike some of the folks complaining in this thread) want to make the UK football tent as large as possible...not split the fanbase (and fan media) into who is a "real" fan and who isn't.
I'm actually a fan of the show I just think you could put more effort into the football stuff. It's why I listen more during tournament time because that is when I'm most interested in bball. But I do try to listen a couple times a week and make it a point to catch Jared or any football guys because we just don't get a whole lot of info out of season compared to other schools.

So don't lump me in with the haters. I'm just making some criticisms of one thing that irks me... doesn't make me hate you and think you aren't a true fan. Hell, I love sophomoric humor

Thanks...I wasn't aware of that concept. Here's one for you....advocating for or against something. I find it personally enthralling and necessary on occasion. I love the University of Kentucky football program and will not sit idly by when I find it necessary to speak out. You live your life as you choose and so will I. Great country....
[thumb2]

what irks me about matt is that when this thing does get turned around... and we are playing in atlanta or on a new year days bowl... he'll be right there shlubbing it up with the team and coaches like old friends when the truth is he couldn't name 8 players on offense and 4 on defense. and he could probably only name 6 coaches too. the way he butchered dubose name after the richmond incident then said "ah, who cares" when he gave up trying to pronounce his name, come on.

unless we have a bball game on the same day. we could play michigan on new years day in a bowl and play texas tech in a regular season game in bball and he'd go to the bball game. if he was JUST a private business then i'd have no problems with him and i do listen quite often. but the fact that he does have ties to the university now means that he needs to be more professional about football. he never treats womens bball as badly as our football program.
:clap:

That has absolutely zero relevance. Regardless, I love all UK sports...basketball and football the most. It's the basketball only people that keep inventing this argument.
There are some who could care less about football, but if you don't see the majority of negativity coming from the ones who CONSTANTLY complain about "there's no football on KSR"...."Matt Jones said football can't win 10 games"...."Football pays the bills so blah blah blah". That my friend is a whole lot of football only people.

Football pays the bills MAINLY because they ride the coat tails of the SEC Network and TV deals...would the SEC even want UK Football if not for our basketball department drawing the attention that they do? Football may technically pay the bills , but they are sitting at the big boy table because of the basketball history our program has.

There are some who could care less about football, but if you don't see the majority of negativity coming from the ones who CONSTANTLY complain about "there's no football on KSR"...."Matt Jones said football can't win 10 games"...."Football pays the bills so blah blah blah". That my friend is a whole lot of football only people.

Football pays the bills MAINLY because they ride the coat tails of the SEC Network and TV deals...would the SEC even want UK Football if not for our basketball department drawing the attention that they do? Football may technically pay the bills , but they are sitting at the big boy table because of the basketball history our program has.

Same worn out schtick. Complaining about lack of football coverage does not make one a football only fan. I love both. And football pays bills because it's football. Nothing to do with basketball's coattails. Reality is the football program may even have a more prominent seat at the big boy table if not for the basketball only mentality of many fans and administration throughout history.

Once again....that coming from someone that LOVES both programs. Some people just can't understand reality. It sickens me that some fans continue to turn this into one vs the other. That mentality is assinine....from both sides.

Same worn out schtick. Complaining about lack of football coverage does not make one a football only fan. I love both. And football pays bills because it's football. Nothing to do with basketball's coattails. Reality is the football program may even have a more prominent seat at the big boy table if not for the basketball only mentality of many fans and administration throughout history.

Once again....that coming from someone that LOVES both programs. Some people just can't understand reality. It sickens me that some fans continue to turn this into one vs the other. That mentality is assinine....from both sides.
I agree that it should not be a one versus the other things. I love both programs and want both to exceed exponentially.

What's hilarious is I see the same old schtick from you that fans having a basketball mentality has somehow hindered UK Football lol. The fans have nothing to do with the decisions made and do not point to Joker because he was gone regardless after the second year debacle...don't care if there were 5,000 or 50,000 at the Vandy game.

The SEC has UK because of basketball....that's it. I agree the administration has kept UK football back by not investing and you are seeing now what that can do, but you can play the if and but game all you want. Fact is....UK basketball is the reason we are even still apart of the SEC. Hopefully with the administration upping their game our football program can prove themselves worthy of getting the cash they do from the SEC.

I agree with this post completely, love all UK sports and we have several great programs lately, but if UK is only benefiting from SEC football because of our basketball program wonder why Vandy is still in the conference?

Maybe their 30,000 seat stadium which is always full? UK has consistently been top 25 in football attendance even with mediocre teams, and a LOT of the recent decline in attendance was due to devoted football fans demanding more support for football.

Reactions: AndyPopCat
Another good football article up on KSR again today (actual stats-based analysis on impact of Dupree/Z leaving and Hatcher being the key to defensive success).

Because it's gotten muddied w/ other things (politics, bball vs football, etc.), I'm curious about original intent of this thread. If it's about KSR lacking football coverage (and NOT simply about having more bball stories than football), I'm wondering how much would be the correct amount of coverage?

A quick look back through the archives of the last month shows me they have the most FREE football information out there (obviously not near what JRowland puts on HOB)--and I think they go way beyond even pay-for sources w/ football beat writers like Herald-Leader and Courier-Journal. When you add in the nuggets we get from radio show -- coaches hosting, interviews with commits, Kash Daniels interview, etc. -- I feel much more informed about football now that I check KSR website and listen to radio show (both for free) than ever before.

Can someone here name another free (or even pay-for other than HOB) source for more UK football news in the past month/year than KSR? Really would be interested...I've always been more a UK football fan than bball (first knowledge of anything sports was when my uncle would take me to games at Commonwealth in 1977).

I agree with this post completely, love all UK sports and we have several great programs lately, but if UK is only benefiting from SEC football because of our basketball program wonder why Vandy is still in the conference?

Maybe their 30,000 seat stadium which is always full? UK has consistently been top 25 in football attendance even with mediocre teams, and a LOT of the recent decline in attendance was due to devoted football fans demanding more support for football.
Vandy is a top educational institution.
Another good football article up on KSR again today (actual stats-based analysis on impact of Dupree/Z leaving and Hatcher being the key to defensive success).

Because it's gotten muddied w/ other things (politics, bball vs football, etc.), I'm curious about original intent of this thread. If it's about KSR lacking football coverage (and NOT simply about having more bball stories than football), I'm wondering how much would be the correct amount of coverage?

A quick look back through the archives of the last month shows me they have the most FREE football information out there (obviously not near what JRowland puts on HOB)--and I think they go way beyond even pay-for sources w/ football beat writers like Herald-Leader and Courier-Journal. When you add in the nuggets we get from radio show -- coaches hosting, interviews with commits, Kash Daniels interview, etc. -- I feel much more informed about football now that I check KSR website and listen to radio show (both for free) than ever before.

Can someone here name another free (or even pay-for other than HOB) source for more UK football news in the past month/year than KSR? Really would be interested...I've always been more a UK football fan than bball (first knowledge of anything sports was when my uncle would take me to games at Commonwealth in 1977).
There isn't one. The football only crowd will gripe and complain about everything as long as a single peep of basketball still exists. Deep down it really is exactly what you said...more of a should be more football than basketball rather than simply wanting football to be mentioned as they say because football is mentioned/written about by KSR on a regular basis.

Actually, the best source for free Kentucky football and recruiting news would be my Twitter feed when I'm physically able to maintain it. Collected from every imaginable source (including KSR). Although I chose to pass on the small Hatcher piece you mentioned. Didn't see the value. I had read and posted the ESPN article from which they reference the info of value.

Twitter.com/andypopcat

Vandy is a top educational institution.

There isn't one. The football only crowd will gripe and complain about everything as long as a single peep of basketball still exists. Deep down it really is exactly what you said...more of a should be more football than basketball rather than simply wanting football to be mentioned as they say because football is mentioned/written about by KSR on a regular basis.

Well that's not true...I love both fball and bball - but the coverage of football is definitely lacking...hell, see the tweets by the KSR people "which freshmen have reported and when can we expect others" "what numbers will the new freshmen be wearing" etc etc - they don't even have to clarify which sport they are talking about, because it is basketball.

There are much better sources for football, which is sad because KSR has the largest audience...but many in that audience are hoops only fans that poopoo any football story.

I did enjoy the coaching staff and Jared Lorenzen hosting...probably the only times I have listened to the show, but they were good.

If one read and visited as many sites as I do on a daily basis, they would have a better understanding of why my points are 100% valid regarding lack of football coverage. By no means is KSR the lone offender, it just so happens they are the most visible and wield the most influence. Go check out KSTV right now for another accurate example. I could go on....

Well that's not true...I love both fball and bball - but the coverage of football is definitely lacking...hell, see the tweets by the KSR people "which freshmen have reported and when can we expect others" "what numbers will the new freshmen be wearing" etc etc - they don't even have to clarify which sport they are talking about, because it is basketball.

There are much better sources for football, which is sad because KSR has the largest audience...

Bingo

I think something people are missing is KSR is actually trying to get into football. They hired Freddie Maggard and often let the football guys host the show. There is more football coverage now on KSR than there has been for as long as I can remember. Maybe its not good enough for you, but its a great start. I expect them to have even more football stuff as the season draws near.

Actually, the best source for free Kentucky football and recruiting news would be my Twitter feed when I'm physically able to maintain it. Collected from every imaginable source (including KSR). Although I chose to pass on the small Hatcher piece you mentioned. Didn't see the value. I had read and posted the ESPN article from which they reference the info of value.

Twitter.com/andypopcat
Good point on following your twitter feed. Anthologies are always better than single-sources when looking for breadth.

Guess I was referencing single-sources...Andy: what free outlet would you say has more UK football info than KSR? (We could argue about 'quality' all day since that's a matter of subjective opinion -- though I think you'd agree with me Freddie's posts, grammar notwithstanding, are pretty insightful; I especially liked his run-down recently of what it's like for players from Friday morning up to kickoff. Good inside-baseball stuff.)

I think something people are missing is KSR is actually trying to get into football. They hired Freddie Maggard and often let the football guys host the show. There is more football coverage now on KSR than there has been for as long as I can remember. Maybe its not good enough for you, but its a great start. I expect them to have even more football stuff as the season draws near.

This is true. They are trying...could have the best football coverage around, but I am not sure it will happen. They have hoops high on the pedestal and it is easier to root for a winner.

Sadly, the football team just has to win and these things will grow and follow.

Good point on following your twitter feed. Anthologies are always better than single-sources when looking for breadth.

Guess I was referencing single-sources...Andy: what free outlet would you say has more UK football info than KSR? (We could argue about 'quality' all day since that's a matter of subjective opinion -- though I think you'd agree with me Freddie's posts, grammar notwithstanding, are pretty insightful; I especially liked his run-down recently of what it's like for players from Friday morning up to kickoff. Good inside-baseball stuff.)

Yep...Freddie has improved things at KSR. As for a single source, I'm not sure there is one real good site that is completely free. Aggregated sources seem to be the way to go at this juncture. Even Larry Vaught's site used to host a lot more football content. For awhile he may have been the best. I would love to see what Brian Poe's site would look like today. He was on a rocket to the sky with his site in terms of football coverage. Unfortunately (and wrongly) the University squashed him. He did nothing that KSR doesn't do now. Very unfortunate...

It's not just KSR that is lacking in coverage. It seems to be an epidemic among all Kentucky related outlets.

Lets just use KSTV as an example. Here are the most recent headlines.

Nerlens Noel: "Coach Cal can coach anywhere...but he has a pretty good gig here."

Super-human recovery should have Poythress ready to carry Cats in 2015-16

Young kid talks trash to Nerlens Noel, learns powerful lesson

Evan Daniels with the latest on the 7-foot high school sophomore drawing Calipari's attention
http://mycn2.com/kstv/terrence-jones-answers-all-the-tough-questions-at-camp-one
Terrence Jones answers all the tough questions at Camp One

BREAKING: Calipari adamantly denies Sacramento Kings rumors

Nick Saban: "I'm a great Mark Stoops fan"

Do the math. It's pathetic. Your telling me there aren't similar type stories that could be done football related? 15 out of the last 17 entries were basketball related and most were NBA.

Like some have said....win and the bandwagon will follow. Gotta follow the money. lol It's a business...I get it.

Andy: good point on LarryV. Guess that kind of makes the point I was trying to make. I wish football got as much play as bball too, but I understand why it doesn't. Given that landscape though, I think KSR is actually doing a 'decent' (I agree could always be better) job getting some interest out there for football -- even maybe among bball-mainly types.

I think your point is that ALL UK outlets do a mediocre job covering football--a viewpoint I've always shared as well. Just wondering why the hate for KSR when it seems they're doing the most of all the others (LVaught included).

I will say that if I could afford it, I'd get my football-fix from JRowland at HOB. I had access to HOB for a short time and felt he's the only one that filled the UKFB void for me adequately. Now having aggregate sources like you and others via Twitter seem to do the job well enough--if not immediate...luckily, I'm the kind that is just as good seeing the movie at second-run theaters!

-UK was a founding member of the SEC...to suggest they are still around because of bball is silly...outside of KY 99%of SEC folks dont care about bball...until the tournament...and that interest is sporadic.

-Again...i love UK bball...been to tons of games all over the country. Publicity wise it stirs the drink at UK athletic dept. I understand why it does...I am just correcting the misinformed that think bball carries more than its share of the financial burden @ UK. Football pays for pretty much everything...that apparently offends folks. Too bad.

Reactions: C1180
Brian...first let me say I don't hate KSR. For me the reason they get singled out is because they are the largest site that caters to Kentucky fans. They wield the most influence. For example...I'm gonna complain about the Lexington Herald Leader as opposed to the Lebanon Enterprise.

As for why many people dislike Matt Jones? I think some of that comes from the way he got his start. At the beginning of KSR, many accused him of taking others info and reporting it as his own. They said he had no sources, but played it to appear as if did. Eventually his product grew enough and he developed his own contacts and sources. He does still anger some by publically reporting information gathered from premium sites such as the HOB here. He argues that once something has been reported...premium or not...its fair game. I find it hard to argue against that logic as long as sources are credited. Sometimes he has faltered in that regard.

Just my 2 cents

Brian...first let me say I don't hate KSR. For me the reason they get singled out is because they are the largest site that caters to Kentucky fans. They wield the most influence. For example...I'm gonna complain about the Lexington Herald Leader as opposed to the Lebanon Enterprise.

As for why many people dislike Matt Jones? I think some of that comes from the way he got his start. At the beginning of KSR, many accused him of taking others info and reporting it as his own. They said he had no sources, but played it to appear as if did. Eventually his product grew enough and he developed his own contacts and sources. He does still anger some by publically reporting information gathered from premium sites such as the HOB here. He argues that once something has been reported...premium or not...its fair game. I find it hard to argue against that logic as long as sources are credited. Sometimes he has faltered in that regard.

Just my 2 cents

When KSR exploded to the path it is today it should have found someway (anyway possible!) to bring Rob Gidel on full time ala Drew and Tyler. I love what both bring, but Gidel was a football junkie with outstanding recruiting contacts.

Much of the football news prior to Freddie coming on board has been lame and lacking substance. Having coaches on for interviews is one thing, having someone dissecting opponents, our own team, and providing a informational product of our program and the national scence has lacked since Gidel left (especially recruiting info).

Hopefully Maggard can change some things.

Reactions: ukalum1988
When KSR exploded to the path it is today it should have found someway (anyway possible!) to bring Rob Gidel on full time ala Drew and Tyler. I love what both bring, but Gidel was a football junkie with outstanding recruiting contacts.

Much of the football news prior to Freddie coming on board has been lame and lacking substance. Having coaches on for interviews is one thing, having someone dissecting opponents, our own team, and providing a informational product of our program and the national scence has lacked since Gidel left (especially recruiting info).

Hopefully Maggard can change some things.

Spot on on all accounts

Just my 2 cents

All very fair points. Thanks.

-UK was a founding member of the SEC...to suggest they are still around because of bball is silly...outside of KY 99%of SEC folks dont care about bball...until the tournament...and that interest is sporadic.

-Again...i love UK bball...been to tons of games all over the country. Publicity wise it stirs the drink at UK athletic dept. I understand why it does...I am just correcting the misinformed that think bball carries more than its share of the financial burden @ UK. Football pays for pretty much everything...that apparently offends folks. Too bad.

I was going to post that UK was a SEC founding member and that Basketball had nothing to do with their continuing membership but you beat me to it. Heck back in the day UK was a SEC football power.
Let hope they can become one again.

Matt,

Around what time will you start covering football on the show again? It seems like it was sometime in mid July last year. I wanna tune back in when you start covering again.

Thanks....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT