ADVERTISEMENT

Not a single post relating to UK football today on KSR

AndyPopCat

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
Bluegrass, USA
twitter.com
Not even a mention of yesterday's commitment in this morning's notes. On an average day (not counting today).I'd say there are more posts about the NBA than UK football. It's his site and he is free to run it as he pleases. But I'm sorry, his and that site's attitude is a detriment to the UK football program. It angers me that he and Oscar Combs are allowed to have any association with the programs media coverage as well. Pitiful...

Honestly, for me it's like the Confederate flag or the Nazi Swastika, if you don't like it, don't look at it. A simple solution, but one that lots of people in this loony bin of a country can't seem to understand anymore.....And that's my rant for the evening.

Spica Orbit

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
Honestly, for me it's like the Confederate flag or the Nazi Swastika, if you don't like it, don't look at it. A simple solution, but one that lots of people in this loony bin of a country can't seem to understand anymore.....And that's my rant for the evening.

Spica Orbit

Thanks...I wasn't aware of that concept. Here's one for you....advocating for or against something. I find it personally enthralling and necessary on occasion. I love the University of Kentucky football program and will not sit idly by when I find it necessary to speak out. You live your life as you choose and so will I. Great country....

People are going to talk about what the masses want to read about... It's smart business. Just look at the viewer numbers on Rafters compared to the Lair.

It's the NBA Draft today. UK will be talked about all night, and yes, while the reason will be basketball, it never hurts for ESPN to be singing the praises of UK all night. Get over it.

Reactions: EliteBlue
People are going to talk about what the masses want to read about... It's smart business. Just look at the viewer numbers on Rafters compared to the Lair.

Yeah it is smart business to talk about what the "masses" want to hear..but the "masses" have shown time after time that they want to hear about what is the nation's most popular sport.

The masses want to hear about football at the end of June..not college basketball. It's no coincidence that many of KSR's most-visited posts have been football-related.

It's no coincidence that Kentucky has been in the top-25 in football attendance 4 times in the last 8 years and has finished no worse than 44th in attendance since 1998, even with little to cheer for.

People in Kentucky love football. KSR knows that's football draws more eyeballs than anything out there, but they just don't have the interest or the passion to cover it.

There's a reason KSR is starting to branch off and cover non-sports related things..it's not because there's no football news that they could find if they wanted to..it's because they just don't have the interest to..Jones has himself said as much many times.

That's why you all should do what I started doing 3 or 4 years ago, and DO NOT VISIT THAT WEBSITE, and put money in the pockets of people who only hurt the football program. The only thing that site does is create the perception that Kentucky fans don't care about football (which couldn't be further from the truth).

Kentucky is a football state..always has been, always will be. You don't thousands of people tailgating before a basketball game do you?

When Andre Woodson had this team rolling, the celebrations after those wins dwarfed any basketball celebration I've ever witnessed.

Kentucky is a football state, but our fans need something to cheer for.

Reactions: AndyPopCat
Thanks...I wasn't aware of that concept. Here's one for you....advocating for or against something. I find it personally enthralling and necessary on occasion. I love the University of Kentucky football program and will not sit idly by when I find it necessary to speak out. You live your life as you choose and so will I. Great country....
---
Oh, I agree with you Andy, but I've given up on that site for football. Actually, my favorite moment was when John Short schooled the "host" on the wide-tackle six defense! If I didn't already know, that more than anything told me all I needed to know about KSR's football coverage. Right now, we seem to have very few choices other than here, & a few other sites, for football news. More than anything, when we start winning this year, the interest really should start building. I'm ready for the season yesterday!

Spica Orbit

Well I don't go there because of this so it may not be as smart as some would like to think.

When Jones, over at KSR, starts talking about football, all he talks about is getting to six wins. Hell, I think we can win them all... & if we lose one, I still expect to win the rest. Attitudes like Jones' are just completely defeatist. Could you ever imagine him talking about just enough basketball wins to get us in the tournament?

Spica Orbit

I'm not a fan of him either and agree with the OP. Football is nothing more than a distraction to him and his ilk.

UK basketball fans are deranged. How can you get so excited about next season when we couldn't even beat Wisconsin with 4 lottery picks? I'm sorry, but I am so sick of one-and-done.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
It's the NBA Draft today. UK will be talked about all night, and yes, while the reason will be basketball, it never hurts for ESPN to be singing the praises of UK all night. Get over it.

Nothing to get over. Reread my op. I noted today was draft day. I love all things UK. love the fact UK bball is all over ESPN. not much of an NBA fan. This isn't about bball vs fball. And just because the nba draft was tonight doesn't mean the UK athletics world stops turning.

Last edited:
Yeah it is smart business to talk about what the "masses" want to hear..but the "masses" have shown time after time that they want to hear about what is the nation's most popular sport.

The masses want to hear about football at the end of June..not college basketball. It's no coincidence that many of KSR's most-visited posts have been football-related.

It's no coincidence that Kentucky has been in the top-25 in football attendance 4 times in the last 8 years and has finished no worse than 44th in attendance since 1998, even with little to cheer for.

People in Kentucky love football. KSR knows that's football draws more eyeballs than anything out there, but they just don't have the interest or the passion to cover it.

There's a reason KSR is starting to branch off and cover non-sports related things..it's not because there's no football news that they could find if they wanted to..it's because they just don't have the interest to..Jones has himself said as much many times.

That's why you all should do what I started doing 3 or 4 years ago, and DO NOT VISIT THAT WEBSITE, and put money in the pockets of people who only hurt the football program. The only thing that site does is create the perception that Kentucky fans don't care about football (which couldn't be further from the truth).

Kentucky is a football state..always has been, always will be. You don't thousands of people tailgating before a basketball game do you?

When Andre Woodson had this team rolling, the celebrations after those wins dwarfed any basketball celebration I've ever witnessed.

Well put and quite accurate. I'm glad I'm not alone.

---
Oh, I agree with you Andy, but I've given up on that site for football. Actually, my favorite moment was when John Short schooled the "host" on the wide-tackle six defense! If I didn't already know, that more than anything told me all I needed to know about KSR's football coverage. Right now, we seem to have very few choices other than here, & a few other sites, for football news. More than anything, when we start winning this year, the interest really should start building. I'm ready for the season yesterday!

Spica Orbit

Ok...Gotcha. I guess I should have stated that I don't frequent that site for news or info. I only drop in fom time to time out of boredom and to remind myself why I don't visit that often. Way to much fluff like "top tweets" and "we ask you" and other worthlessness.

Last edited:
I love basketball and football and anything UK related actually. I even loved when the girls track team took 2nd in the NCAA.

What I detest is the basketball only crowd and the football only crowd going at it with each other. What I found out is the football only guys detest the success of the basketball team and are jealous of it and the basketball only fans don't like the football program just because they produce habitual bad teams over the years and are a doormat program. They get embarrassed and root for Ohio St, Bama, ND etc because they can't fathom of even rooting for a program that loses.

As far as KSR I don't even go to it anymore. Not because of it's lack of coverage of the football program but because of it's juvenile stupid topics that is space filler. I could care less who is tweeting who and the other stupid stuff they put up.

When Jones, over at KSR, starts talking about football, all he talks about is getting to six wins. Hell, I think we can win them all... & if we lose one, I still expect to win the rest. Attitudes like Jones' are just completely defeatist. Could you ever imagine him talking about just enough basketball wins to get us in the tournament?

Spica Orbit
Got into it with MJ a few weeks back over this very topic...who in the hell concedes wins before the game is even played

Kentucky is a basketball state, and a basketball school.
Kentucky basketball has a proven track record of success. Titles, wins, final fours, draft picks, national relevance... Etc etc etc

That's why KSR covers more basketball than football. Basketball is UK's bread and butter.

Until the football program can put together some sustainable success it will remain this way. Don't get me wrong , I am a die hard football fan, but I am also a die hard basketball fan. I think stoops can potentially have success in th future but let's put things in perspective ya know ? UK basketball is coming off 4 final fours in 5 years with a title to boot. Complete domination of our in state rival and literally the most successful basketball program of all time.
While the football program is making small strides... It is still in a bit of a "funk" (at least it's perceived that way from the casual fan/observer ) UK football is coming off 6 straight losses to end the season, and has lost several straight to our In state rival along with several losing seasons and a history of average/below average season finishes. We constantly are in the bottom half of the SEC standings. That's the difference ya know? It sucks but that's just how it is.
uK football hasn't had a winning SEC conference record in years.
It sucks. I hate it too... But that's just the way it is, we have the best football fans in the world... But until UK football and actually have some continued on field success it will stay this way.

I hate to see this "basketball vs football" divide between our fans tho. We should all be joining and sticking together ya know?

I am very excited to see what stoops can do this year but more importantly 2017... That's when I think we **may** make some real noise (I say that with baited breath tho as I have been disappointed in the past lol)

Go cats #bbn #footballandbaksetball

I will say that if there was a more FOOTBALL centric site I'd visit there for the BS... KSR has Freddie Maggard.... That's one!
Need more Freddie Maggards

Got into it with MJ a few weeks back over this very topic...who in the hell concedes wins before the game is even played

Very few SEC teams go into the season thinking they are going to be undefeated (besides Alabama). No rational Tennessee fans went into last season expecting an undefeated season, or even this season for that matter, I'm sure South Carolina fans aren't expecting one this season. Only the most irrational Florida fans think they are going to win the SEC East this season. It doesn't mean they don't want their teams to go undefeated. Unreasonable expectations can be as dangerous as a defeatist attitude. Kentucky is in a rebuild. It's not defeatist to point out the obvious: you have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Kentucky is a basketball state,

That's why KSR covers more basketball than football. Basketball is UK's bread and butter.
1)False. More people watch Ky HS football than watch Ky bball. The best athletes in Ky play football as their primary sport, and go on to college to play that sport. This is a football state, the passion and what is followed and participated in is much more than the 35 or so University of Kentucky men's basketball games played a season.

2)False. Jones is ignorant of the sport, completely. Him trying to discuss the sport in any way, recruiting, practices, game predictions, game analysis is like watching a newborn deer trying to walk for the 1st time. On a frozen lake. He is uneducated on the subject, hence he covers it as little as possible to avoid sounding completely stupid.

Reactions: Chad Rock
I am always amazed how this site obsesses over Matt Jones and KSR. Why no mention of 247 or Scout or Sea of Blue?
Is it jealously?

Have you ever listened to Matt Jones when he discusses football? My wife knows more about the program and the game. Throw in Lemond in there and you have two fan boys who are your typical UK fans. Diehard basketball fan with just a pinch of UK football distraction fan. Seriously, the day UK picked up Marcelys Jones, Matt Jones said "don't know anything about him." The only thing they talked about on Cross was how to pronounce his name. I'm sorry, do a little research. You have to know what you're going to be discussing going into the show. I'm not saying be a recruiting expert but spend 10 min doing a Google search. That really goes with basketball too sometimes though. The other day they were discussing 3pt % for the team and they didn't know who had better % at the end of the season. Something that takes all of about 9 seconds to look up.

I'm not trying to be a hypocrite here. I listen to the show from time to time and I think it's great to have a UK based show in the heart of Card country when there is limited options for Local sports radio but come football season, I find myself not ever tuning in unless there's a big story or the day before the game. You almost feel dumber listening to it sometimes.

Reactions: Chad Rock
I still don't understand. If you don't like it, why listen or click? Plenty of places to get your info.

It is like saying "I don't like Fox News (or MSNBC)" but you watch. I don't get it at all.

I still don't understand. If you don't like it, why listen or click? Plenty of places to get your info.

It is like saying "I don't like Fox News (or MSNBC)" but you watch. I don't get it at all.

For me, it isn't that I don't like the show, just that I would like to see some improvements. Like research your topics a little better. If you never try to improve on what you are doing or open to some criticism, I can't see how your product just doesn't get stale.

1)False. More people watch Ky HS football than watch Ky bball. The best athletes in Ky play football as their primary sport, and go on to college to play that sport. This is a football state, the passion and what is followed and participated in is much more than the 35 or so University of Kentucky men's basketball games played a season.

2)False. Jones is ignorant of the sport, completely. Him trying to discuss the sport in any way, recruiting, practices, game predictions, game analysis is like watching a newborn deer trying to walk for the 1st time. On a frozen lake. He is uneducated on the subject, hence he covers it as little as possible to avoid sounding completely stupid.

I respect your opinion but I disagree

No one disagrees with that sentiment. I don't watch or listen except on rare occasions. You arE missing the point. I do not watch FoxNews either, but I advocate against it's harmfullness to society. Same concept with Jones and KSR. I find him/it to be a detriment to the football program because of many of the reasons already mentioned. I find it especially troubling that he is "associated" with the fb program thru media coverage on game day broadcasts. Defeatist/negative attitudes do nothing to embolden fans to support the program. Oscar Combs has been egregious in his remarks concerning the fb team throughout the years but is allowed to maintain his media role. If this were basketball, it would not be tolerated. I have the right to advocate against something although I'm smart enough not to use the product. That's generally how it works.

Reactions: Levibooty
Primarily the show is for people that don't require much more than low intellect slapstick comedy. Every now or then MJ has a really good show with serious content. Those shows were why I use to listen to his radio broadcast. There are not enough shows like that and I stopped listening to MJ because I need more than insult based comedy. His whole approach to football has been for the most part low brow comedy delivered with less than respectful consideration of the fans that fill up Commonwealth Stadium. He can argue that point which what he likes to do unless it's in a courtroom, but he can't change the fact that some people feel that way.

I get that he is first and foremost concerned with his success and relies on the gimmicky sophomoric approach one would find on Florida teen filled beach on spring break but I tire of that lazy approach. I want more content and less lazy juvenile sensless banter. I know that puts me in the minority but I've had my fill of ignorant shtick for the sake of the numbers approach in my daily diet of radio nonsense. I use to listen to Bob and Tom also but the same tripe over and over bores me much the same way I find MJ's boring. I also got tired of listening to one of Jones guests being interrupted and stepped on by Jones when he interviewed them. That is another story in itself.

I love laughter and have had a life filled with people of wit that gave me a lot of great times. I never tired of Robin Williams and the other great wits of our time. I just need more than what most radio shows offer.

Matt Jones is awesome I think. Having his voice as a "spokesman" for UK Athletics is great.

Again... Just my opinion and I definitely think he needs to pay more attention to the football program

Matt Jones is awesome I think. Having his voice as a "spokesman" for UK Athletics is great.

Again... Just my opinion and I definitely think he needs to pay more attention to the football program

Nothing wrong with you enjoying Matt. I have nothing personal against him. I to think having his voice as a "spokesman" for UK basketball has been great. I just don't feel that way in regards to UK athletics as a whole. I find his attitude, comments and lack of focus regarding football especially troubling. If he would simply leave football alone all together, i think it would be more beneficial to the program than the current scenario.

Reactions: WeaverChainz
THIS^^^^ It's the "biggest day in UK bb history" and it is going to trump anything else on a UK site.
Only if you are a NBA fan which I am not. To me I value the 8 titles that UK has won more than draft picks. I think Kentucky fans would be nearly as happy if they won a NCAA championship without a single draft pick as opposed to no championship and four draft picks.

Only if you are a NBA fan which I am not. To me I value the 8 titles that UK has won more than draft picks. I think Kentucky fans would be nearly as happy if they won a NCAA championship without a single draft pick as opposed to no championship and four draft picks.

Totally agree Levi and I thought I was the only one here who feels that way.

I also am not a huge fan of the basketball heavy nature of KSR. However, Matt has done a better job lately of realizing that the demand for football info and perspective is out there so he hired Freddy Maggard. Also, Nick Roush does a good job with his football collumns as well. Yesterday was a complete basketball circle jerk, and with 4 guys going in the first round, it's probably warranted. Now that Murray has committed and the draft is over, I hope to see KSR really go full throttle into football coverage. If they don't, then look elsewhere for UK football news.

I know it is the cool thing for some on here to bash KSR and I get it...you don't like us or me, and have at it. But I would suggest that most of what is written here is incorrect or simply forgets some facts. First of all, Tuesday we went to Paintsville and interviewed one of the biggest UK FB recruits in recent memory on the show in front of a massive crowd. The whole show that day was based around FB recruiting and Kash, and I am not sure how that is neglecting football. Yes, yesterday there were no football posts but it was also the day of the NBA Draft when Kentucky players were about to break records for picks in the Draft and the day after a massive recruit committed to the Cats. We had record June traffic on that day and I think/know it was because of those stories. Right now the FB coaches are on their last time off before the season and the players are on a mini-hiatus. There simply is little football news and none on the level of the last two days of what came from basketball.

With that said, our goal is to continue to do more football. I brought Freddie on for that reason and another move is coming in late July that will be in that direction as well. You are correct that I don't know much about Marcelys Jones (but I would note that we broke the commitment on KSR) but we celebrated that as a BIG deal and talked about it multiple times on the site and show. I know zero about the kid from Alabama but with the exception of maybe one or two UK reporters (maybe Rowland or one other person) I can guarantee you that NO media knows anything about him and has never seen him play. It is the nature of football recruiting that unless you are a specialist, you won't know. We don't have any of those now although that could change in the future. I could sit here and act like I am a football expert but I am not. So I talk about it the way I feel comfortable and most fans tend to enjoy it. If you don't so be it.

KSR is a one stop shop for the average UK fan. The average UK fan loves football but basketball drives the boat at this time. We cover football and will continue to and as the program gets better the intensity will continue to grow. But trust me...as a person who studies website traffic, listeners to the shows, etc, our fans want football news at two times...around Signing Day and in the season. Outside of it, the average fan (not the diehards on UK football message boards) tends to tune out all but the biggest football news (like the Kash Daniel commitment). You may think that is bad, but it is reality. I have to cater to reality in order to have a successful business. And the reality is this....on the night of the NBA Draft and the day after a MASSIVE basketball commitment, the majority of our fans want to talk basketball. That is just the way it is

KSR is a one stop shop for the average UK fan. The average UK fan loves football but basketball drives the boat at this time. We cover football and will continue to and as the program gets better the intensity will continue to grow. But trust me...as a person who studies website traffic, listeners to the shows, etc, our fans want football news at two times...around Signing Day and in the season. Outside of it, the average fan (not the diehards on UK football message boards) tends to tune out all but the biggest football news (like the Kash Daniel commitment). You may think that is bad, but it is reality. I have to cater to reality in order to have a successful business. And the reality is this....on the night of the NBA Draft and the day after a MASSIVE basketball commitment, the majority of our fans want to talk basketball. That is just the way it is

Understand, and thanks for your honesty. I posted similar thoughts about the Lex Herald Leader ("Enough is Enough") a few days ago, but at the end of the day, I don't have to log in to KSR, and rarely do, as a matter of fact. I do however pay $350 a year or so for the LHL and expect a little more general sports coverage out of a statewide newspaper than a UK internet site. But again, I don't have to read it, and taking today's edition as an example, lets just say it did not take me long at all to flip through the sports pages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT