ADVERTISEMENT

KSR today…..

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
They spent a good amount of time addressing football and the state of the program as well as the future of the coaching staff. I think it really kicked up during the last 15 minutes or so of hour one and about 15 minutes into hour 2. But they spent time on and off talking about football the whole show.

The most discussed point on the board is stoops, his staff and their potential firing/changes. Most every day is an argument about whether or not a change is warranted or even possible. In addition, there have been lots of discussion about stoops relationship with donors and also the Kentucky standing with NIL and our recruiting base. So if you want to hear a serious take from the media then give it a listen. If you don’t want to listen, here are the cliff notes

-Any talk of stoops being fired is stupid, unrealistic, and unproductive

-Kentucky’s biggest donor is super close with stoops. He would not pay a dime toward any buyout

-Kentucky cannot do what TAM did and they listed the reasons why.

-Kentucky is 13 out of 14 in NIL in the SEC

- Expect staff changes but all coordinators are safe

- Coach at Kentucky is one of the toughest jobs in America

- The state of Kentucky has no recruiting base and cited comparisons with neighboring states.

-Coen wants to focus on tempo in the offseason

I’m gonna get hammered for bringing up KSR and I don’t care and kiss my ass. It’s the biggest sports radio show in the state and one of the biggest in the country. My favorite team is UK and that’s all they talk about. So sometimes I listen, we all do. This show in particular should be required listening for a lot of folks on here since it covers every daily topic on this board.

Seem to have plenty of money for meth/pills but not enough for NIL.
WTH....now if you don't donate to NIL you're a meth junkie. I love college football. But I will never donate to NIL I have a family and no desire to take away from them to pay some spoiled entitled brat to play football for my favorite team. Not everyone on here is a Dr or lawyer and have disposable income. I went to college and have job as a developer in IT. So don't say I didn't try to better my financial status with hard work and education. I work hard to provide for my family not pay someone to play a game.

They spent a good amount of time addressing football and the state of the program as well as the future of the coaching staff. I think it really kicked up during the last 15 minutes or so of hour one and about 15 minutes into hour 2. But they spent time on and off talking about football the whole show.

The most discussed point on the board is stoops, his staff and their potential firing/changes. Most every day is an argument about whether or not a change is warranted or even possible. In addition, there have been lots of discussion about stoops relationship with donors and also the Kentucky standing with NIL and our recruiting base. So if you want to hear a serious take from the media then give it a listen. If you don’t want to listen, here are the cliff notes

-Kentucky’s biggest donor is super close with stoops. He would not pay a dime toward any buyout

- The state of Kentucky has no recruiting base and cited comparisons with neighboring states.

I’m gonna get hammered for bringing up KSR and I don’t care and kiss my ass. It’s the biggest sports radio show in the state and one of the biggest in the country. My favorite team is UK and that’s all they talk about. So sometimes I listen, we all do. This show in particular should be required listening for a lot of folks on here since it covers every daily topic on this board.
Not sure anyone thinks stoops getting fired is on the table which is what makes KY football rather depressing at the moment, stoops is not going to change a thing he’s been doing as I’m not honestly sure he knows how too. 6-7 win seasons is what we have to look forward too for the next 2-3 seasons and then and only then, if the natives are restless, will there be real talk of moving on from stoops. Personally think it will take another 3 seasons of years like this year before that happens. Sadly however, it’s pretty predictable.

WTH....now if you don't donate to NIL you're a meth junkie. I love college football. But I will never donate to NIL I have a family and no desire to take away from them to pay some spoiled entitled brat to play football for my favorite team. Not everyone on here is a Dr or lawyer and have disposable income. I went to college and have job as a developer in IT. So don't say I didn't try to better my financial status with hard work and education. I work hard to provide for my family not pay someone to play a game.
Good for you, you and your family are fortunate.

Yes, it is tough. That is why you have to have the right guy in here to make the program attractive enough to overcome those disadvantages. Ifyour recruiting base is limited, then expand it. Hell Louisville used to recruit the hell out of Miami, so it can be done.
And who is in charge of our NIL collective? If that’s what it takes to get better players, then go f’in cultivate some relationships to improve it.
I refuse to allow this stuff to be an excuse not to be able to compete. Go get it done and quit making excuses and whining about it.

Not sure anyone thinks stoops getting fired is on the table which is what makes KY football rather depressing at the moment, stoops is not going to change a thing he’s been doing as I’m not honestly sure he knows how too. 6-7 win seasons is what we have to look forward too for the next 2-3 seasons and then and only then, if the natives are restless, will there be real talk of moving on from stoops. Personally think it will take another 3 seasons of years like this year before that happens. Sadly however, it’s pretty predictable.
It will take 3 years of worse results than this.

Yes, it is tough. That is why you have to have the right guy in here to make the program attractive enough to overcome those disadvantages. Ifyour recruiting base is limited, then expand it. Hell Louisville used to recruit the hell out of Miami, so it can be done.
And who is in charge of our NIL collective? If that’s what it takes to get better players, then go f’in cultivate some relationships to improve it.
I refuse to allow this stuff to be an excuse not to be able to compete. Go get it done and quit making excuses and whining about it.
What do you propose? Not being snaky, but just asking. What can be done to improve things in these areas? Realistically

I don’t think anyone was making petty excuses. Just stating facts. This the reality of UK football

Reactions: sefus12

Ksr says that Kentucky has no recruiting base compared to "neighboring states"? Not even West Virginia and Indiana? They produce Jack for football recruiting. Missouri is actually only marginally ahead of Kentucky. Same with Illinois. The only states that border Kentucky with clear cut better recruiting prospects are Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia and we don'thave to uually compete against Virginia teams or P5 Ohio teams anyway. Not interested in excuses, especially that one. Especially when Kentucky has a better chance to get non-OSU bound Ohio talent than most other SEC teams. Especially when the UK recruiting rankings over the last five years CONSIDERABLY outmatched our performance in 2022 and 2023. Recruiting around 25th or 30th most years, performance about 50th, even with a net advantage through the portal on top of it.

Ksr says that Kentucky has no recruiting base compared to "neighboring states"? Not even West Virginia and Indiana? They produce Jack for football recruiting. Missouri is actually only marginally ahead of Kentucky. Same with Illinois. The only states that border Kentucky with clear cut better recruiting prospects are Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia and we don'thave to uually compete against Virginia teams or P5 Ohio teams anyway. Not interested in excuses, especially that one. Especially when Kentucky has a better chance to get non-OSU bound Ohio talent than most other SEC teams. Especially when the UK recruiting rankings over the last five years CONSIDERABLY outmatched our performance in 2022 and 2023. Recruiting around 25th or 30th most years, performance about 50th, even with a net advantage through the portal on top of it.
Esp when you consider UK can easily get ohio recruits who want to play and go to school in the south but stay close to home. No other school in the SEC can do that.

Esp when you consider UK can easily get ohio recruits who want to play and go to school in the south but stay close to home. No other school in the SEC can do that.
That’s been the number 1 reason stoops turned the program around. But southern athletes are still better. Stoops takes the kids that don’t go to Ohio st, Michigan or Penn state. After that the pickings are slim but manageable

Reactions: RunninRichie
When’s the last time you watched high school ball in this state? This is not a good recruiting base. Kentucky is still a better program than Illinois most years. Missouri is having a nice year but they are essentially our twin. We have owned them going back 5 or more years. I guess we are better coached since we both have shit recruiting bases.

You say we are recruiting around 25 or 30th but performing around 50th. (50th is an exaggeration by the way). Wanna know why? Because we are in the SEC where we place 12th in recruiting. Those other 11 schools ahead of us are in recruiting hotbeds. Thank you for making my point for me.

That’s been the number 1 reason stoops turned the program around. But southern athletes are still better. Stoops takes the kids that don’t go to Ohio st, Michigan or Penn state. After that the pickings are slim but manageable
Except for Kentucky recruits appr.

South Carolina says hello. Straight easy shot down 77 and palm tress to boot. ;)

When’s the last time you watched high school ball in this state? This is not a good recruiting base. Kentucky is still a better program than Illinois most years. Missouri is having a nice year but they are essentially our twin. We have owned them going back 5 or more years. I guess we are better coached since we both have shit recruiting bases.

You say we are recruiting around 25 or 30th but performing around 50th. (50th is an exaggeration by the way). Wanna know why? Because we are in the SEC where we place 12th in recruiting. Those other 11 schools ahead of us are in recruiting hotbeds. Thank you for making my point for me.
We are exactly 44th in the Sagarins and, while that is not the end-all, be-all, it's generally a pretty good ballpark estimate. Last year was about the same- more or less 50th. A 6 and 5 record with five wins against terrible teams and one win against a marginal Florida team, along with two embarrassing losses against the two truly good teams we've played as well as a loss against a very mediocre South Carolina team sort of translates to about 50th.
Also, we're not typically 12th in recruiting in the SEC, though we used to be, but now it's usually 9th or 10th and very close in national rankings to those. SEC teams what are 6th and 7th, and also Missouri and Arkansas aren't recruiting hotbeds and future conference opponent Oklahoma (which is a true blueblood despite having similar population and demographics to Kentucky) isn't, either, and Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and South Carolina hardly dominate us in recruiting regardless of home state.

Last edited:
Except for Kentucky recruits appr.
Correct, because our southern athletes are hand me downs from the other big sec powers. Unless you’re talking out kentuckys homegrown kids. Our kids don’t compare to the true southern athletes in Texas , Florida and Georgia. One could even argue that Kentucky isn’t even the south

Did the KSR "experts" explain why Louisville is a top 10 team? Does Louisville have recruiting advantages over UK? I'll grant that they're overrated against a weak schedule. And we might well stomp them on Saturday, but, still. Why are they a top 10 team? What about Missouri?

I don’t know how we know where we are with NIL legitimately. How do people know? It has become the convenient excuse for everything. Is it a legitimate matter? Yes. If it was the remedy and answer for things then Tamu wouldn’t be in a coaching search. We know that he is going to pass along the marrow narrative company line.

To be fair to Jones he has also made the point that fans thinking you can’t criticize this staff aren’t being pragmatic either. If it’s not clear that there are some things that need to change after 12 years that never do, then people will never see it. I do think there will be some attempt to change the offense…how much who knows. But at this point stoops is aware enough to know he’s out of fingers to point with offensively.

Last edited:
Did the KSR "experts" explain why Louisville is a top 10 team? Does Louisville have recruiting advantages over UK? I'll grant that they're overrated against a weak schedule. And we might well stomp them on Saturday, but, still. Why are they a top 10 team? What about Missouri?
Their schedule plays well for them. A lot of 40-50 ish teams would beat 10 teams on their schedule ….flip Pittsburgh and Notre Dame . Duke did not have their QB and that game was at UL . FSU will not have their QB in the ACC game , either . If not 10 wins ..there’s 30-45 teams that’d go 9-3 with that schedule . Doesn’t take away from the accomplishment, but you have to really look at it and be realistic . Or better yet , what would they do given an SEC west , for example , schedule? Likely 7-5ish , which is what we’re shooting for Saturday

The state of Kentucky has no recruiting base and cited comparisons with neighboring states.
This is perhaps the most overblown faux excuse of them all. First of all a "recruiting region" is not defined by state boarders, rather it is it's proximity to where recruits live. Kentucky is in close proximity to the metro areas of Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus and Nashville and is attractive to quality players from Northern Ohio, Michigan and other locations for kids wanting to play in the SEC. Recruiting is no longer about getting all the local kids who want to go to "state U", that went out with dial phones, and VCRs. In the information age universities are looking nationwide for certain type of players and players are comparing staffs, offense/defense types, early PT opportunities etc. and both have the technical tools to conduct such broad and deep searches and analysis. Look at the recruiting classes of the so-called talent rich states. Half or more of their classes are from kids from out of state. And if in-state recruiting is such a big factor in program success why is a team like UofL which exists in Kentucky beating teams like Miami from the so-called talent rich states?

It's just a tired old excuse that to a large degree has been disproven by Stoops by landing top 25ish classes several years, something the nay sayers said 10 years ago would never be possible. Now their trying to put another artificial ceiling on recruiting again with the same ole lazy thinking.

End of rant 😁

Correct, because our southern athletes are hand me downs from the other big sec powers. Unless you’re talking out kentuckys homegrown kids. Our kids don’t compare to the true southern athletes in Texas , Florida and Georgia. One could even argue that Kentucky isn’t even the south
One could and frequently does argue that Texas and Florida aren't the south either. But Kentucky is the south (Culture, food, state's on the confederate flag, below the mason-dixon line, and ohio river, former slave state etc etc). but we are upper southern with TN and VA and NC. If you wanna say Kentucky isn't deep southern 100 percent agree. That's also the states where the best football players come from.

Last edited:
Jones is a self-absorbed douche but if they had a particularly interesting football conversation I’m always open to listen to it. Would be interested in any details about the NIL being 13th

Reactions: Blouman
Their schedule plays well for them. A lot of 40-50 ish teams would beat 10 teams on their schedule ….flip Pittsburgh and Notre Dame . Duke did not have their QB and that game was at UL . FSU will not have their QB in the ACC game , either . If not 10 wins ..there’s 30-45 teams that’d go 9-3 with that schedule . Doesn’t take away from the accomplishment, but you have to really look at it and be realistic . Or better yet , what would they do given an SEC west , for example , schedule? Likely 7-5ish , which is what we’re shooting for Saturday
Fair point, but after the South Carolina loss, it's hard for me to say how great we "would" have done against that schedule. I mean, if we can't even beat South Carolina, I'm not assuming wins against NC State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, etc.

This is perhaps the most overblown faux excuse of them all. First of all a "recruiting region" is not defined by state boarders, rather it is it's proximity to where recruits live. Kentucky is in close proximity to the metro areas of Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus and Nashville and is attractive to quality players from Northern Ohio, Michigan and other locations for kids wanting to play in the SEC. Recruiting is no longer about getting all the local kids who want to go to "state U", that went out with dial phones, and VCRs. In the information age universities are looking nationwide for certain type of players and players are comparing staffs, offense/defense types, early PT opportunities etc. and both have the technical tools to conduct such broad and deep searches and analysis. Look at the recruiting classes of the so-called talent rich states. Half or more of their classes are from kids from out of state. And if in-state recruiting is such a big factor in program success why is a team like UofL which exists in Kentucky beating teams like Miami from the so-called talent rich states?

It's just a tired old excuse that to a large degree has been disproven by Stoops by landing top 25ish classes several years, something the nay sayers said 10 years ago would never be possible. Now their trying to put another artificial ceiling on recruiting again with the same ole lazy thinking.

End of rant 😁
Yes. Kids go places now and between Mid Tn and Ohio we don’t have excuses. We also can put more money into the recruiting budget to broaden the footprint even more like ut does

All these discussions from sports media and social media are interesting. Everyone has an opinion some are logical some are illogical and some are totally ridiculous. But the bottom line is this team underperformed, we all know it the coaches have acknowledged it. There are issues, most all of which can be fixed. The current Head Coach will have another year at a minimum to fix what's broke. That's what he gets the big salary for. Either he does it or he doesn't. If he doesn't at some point those in power will make a change. Right now the honest objective view is simply "we don't know". I do know that a lot of what we have seen this year was not seen in previous Stoops coached teams so there is at least some reason to believe he is capable of fixing what's broke and righting the ship. OTOH there are those that believe we have "topped out" and need to move on. In the end time will tell.

What do you propose? Not being snaky, but just asking. What can be done to improve things in these areas? Realistically

I don’t think anyone was making petty excuses. Just stating facts. This the reality of UK football
Just as I stated above, find the people and oeronalities who can expand your recruiting base. If a company is trying to compete for market share in an area, then that’s what they do. You have to have the presence and the wherewithal to do itIt can be done. If you need more NIL money, find the people who can develop relationships to get those donors. For example, the PR department inour athletics department sucks. You have got to somehow make some noise to be heard. Does not seem ti be much ingenuity or out of the box thinking from the leadership in this instance. Even from a fan base entertainment perspective, we suck and have always sucked. I mean Barnhart has been good at facilities development, but I don’t see him as an innovative out of thebox thinker. That aspect of leadership needs to change. He was slow to embrace this NIL stuff. Hell, look how long it took him to allow beer sales. This guy’s like an anchor trying to guide a boat.

End of rant 😁
+1000.

We are exactly 44th in the Sagarins and, while that is not the end-all, be-all, it's generally a pretty good ballpark estimate. Last year was about the same- more or less 50th. A 6 and 5 record with five wins against terrible teams and one win against a marginal Florida team, along with two embarrassing losses against the two truly good teams we've played as well as a loss against a very mediocre South Carolina team sort of translates to about 50th.
Also, we're not typically 12th in recruiting in the SEC, though we used to be, but now it's usually 9th or 10th and very close in national rankings to those. SEC teams what are 6th and 7th, and also Missouri and Arkansas aren't recruiting hotbeds and future conference opponent Oklahoma (which is a true blueblood despite having similar population and demographics to Kentucky) isn't, either, and Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and South Carolina hardly dominate us in recruiting regardless of home state.
You’re right about Arkansas and Missouri not being hot beds either. We are typically better than those two teams year in and year out because maybe, just maybe our coaching isn’t quite as bad as many think it is, typically. Although I don’t like the current trajectory

One could and frequently does argue that Texas and Florida aren't the south either. But Kentucky is the south (Culture, food, state's on the confederate flag, below the mason-dixon line, and ohio river, former slave state etc etc). but we are upper southern with TN and VA and NC. If you wanna say Kentucky isn't deep southern 100 percent agree. That's also the states where the best football players come from.
I consider Kentucky the south as well.

Jones is a self-absorbed douche but if they had a particularly interesting football conversation I’m always open to listen to it. Would be interested in any details about the NIL being 13th
Today’s show was football heavy and definitely worth a listen. One of the better episodes I’ve heard really.

Reactions: The-Hack and JC-3

No recruiting base? Than explain to me how Utah is where they are? they are half the population of Kentucky and 90% caucasian

No recruiting base? Than explain to me how Utah is where they are? they are half the population of Kentucky and 90% caucasian
Also Nebraska for decades, even if they're down now, Arizona in the top 15 now, Oregon, Oklahoma, Washington, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc etc. Even Boise St. has had legitimate good teams with a recruiting "base" in Idaho lol.

Also Nebraska for decades, even if they're down now, Arizona in the top 15 now, Oregon, Oklahoma, Washington, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc etc. Even Boise St. has had legitimate good teams with a recruiting "base" in Idaho lol.
I forgot Colorado. They aren't nearly as good now as they used to be, even now with Sanders, but they've had elite teams in the 90s. Exactly what makes the state of Colorado a great recruiting base? How in the world did Kansas State consistently have good to very good teams under Snyder and, now, Kleiman? Is Kansas a high school recruiting factory? Was West Virginia known for elite high school talent when they were often around the top 10? How about U6? Yes they had Brian Brohm and Michael Bush- was the city of Louisville otherwise a talent base comparable to Florida or Georgia?

It will take 3 years of worse results than this.
If 4 straight seasons of 6-6 football doesn’t get stoops fired at 9 million per year then might as well shut the program down. Crowds of 25,000-30,000 will become the norm, and any amount of talent we have been bringing in will go elsewhere making it even harder to go 6-6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT