ADVERTISEMENT

It appears Mitch will stick with Cal for now.

So I disagree on Shaka Smart...and we can argue all we want on Scott Drew...but as the Big12 becomes more irrelevant by the years.....I'd argue his religion isn't going to sway as much (and Lexington is a perfectly great conservative place to live).

But who exactly is going to emerge as a great candidate next year if we keep waiting?
It's not that he's religious, it's that he runs a explicitly religious program and has stated he does things his fellow coaches at public universities aren't allowed to do. That's the way he likes it. Every practice and team meeting starts with a prayer and his coaching philosophy is is J.O.Y (Jesus, Others, Yourself). He's stated preaching the word of Jesus is more important to him than coaching basketball is.

We can disagree on if he'd come here, but I just don't think he's going to a university where he can't be that religious with his programs. I think he's at his perfect school for that.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
It's not that he's religious, it's that he runs a explicitly religious program and has stated he does things his fellow coaches at public universities aren't allowed to do. That's the way he likes it. Every practice and team meeting starts with a prayer and his coaching philosophy is is J.O.Y (Jesus, Others, Yourself). He's stated preaching the word of Jesus is more important to him than coaching basketball is.

We can disagree on if he'd come here, but I just don't think he's going to a university where he can't be that religious with his programs. I think he's at his perfect school for that.
I would rather Jesus be first than Cal's players first crap.

Earned not given. Amirite?
Nah, I'm thinking Mitch is paying a PR firm to instill the new narrative here.
Last year it was, "we just had bad players, next year will be different," and then "You are all just horrible fans."

Their angle this year is, "nothing we can do about it because there is no one out there any better."
As if we couldn't throw a dart at a board of high school coaches and find a better basketball coach right now.

Hey as long as we’re doing this idiot thing, let’s make the most of it. I hope he finds a way to bring home a title.

But I will say, -1 day into his “new job,” Cal is ALREADY doing it wrong.

With the “I’m going to work” comment? Why be that obtuse? Might have actually been encouraging if he’d said something like “I’m pulling out all the stops” or “I’m going to reinvent myself” or something.

But specifically “I’m going to work” can’t help but make an awful lot of people wonder what we’ve been paying him to do the past four years.

Most of us didn’t want you back. Most of will probably At Least find a way to hope you win since we’re stuck with you.

But saying something that really practically amounts to saying “I’ll get off my ass and actually work at my job now” is NOT the way to instill us with a lot of confidence at this juncture.

We’re trying to at least grudgingly persuade ourselves to be on your side again for a while, Cal.

THROW US A FREAKING BONE

The fact that this cancer wasn’t gone with when shaedon sharpe didn’t play a single game all year and continued to sit healthy on the bench while they lost to Saint peters is incredible. Two years later it’s the same exact conversation. Hey guess what? He stays another year we’ll be having the same discussion next spring

Last edited:
This won't go over well with some posters, but if some of you hadn't been so star struck you would have realized that Cal sucked before he signed his contract. I got booted from the board numerous times for some of my posts about Cal. It was very obvious that the team was winning in spite of his horrible coaching. The main reason the team won back then was because there was no portal, COVID years, or NIL money that keeps good but not great college players from attempting to go to the NBA until they have exhausted their eligibilities. We are seeing nothing different from this carpet bagger than what he has done every season he has been here.

Last edited:
Keeping the same coach because you're scared is a losing strategy.

There are good coaches that will take the Kentucky job. Those coaches can match Cal's performance of 1 NCAA tournament win every 4 years.
Are you wanting to match Cal's recent history or be a lot better ? If you just want the same results, why change ? And if you are wanting to be back in contention and making deep runs, their are not any coaches available to do that at the present time. They have either signed new deals, have huge buyouts, or taken new jobs. The correct play (not the quick fix for similar results), is to wait it out, make Cal be held accountable, and when the RIGHT (long term) hire is possible, make the change.

Are you wanting to match Cal's recent history or be a lot better ? If you just want the same results, why change ? And if you are wanting to be back in contention and making deep runs, their are not any coaches available to do that at the present time. They have either signed new deals, have huge buyouts, or taken new jobs. The correct play (not the quick fix for similar results), is to wait it out, make Cal be held accountable, and when the RIGHT (long term) hire is possible, make the change.
You're missing the point.

I know what I'm getting with John Calipari in 2024. If we keep running him out there, we'll get more of the same. Zero doubts.

Now, if you put Scott Drew out there: Worst case scenario, he's just as bad as Cal. But, I think he could actually do better. Because he's at Baylor (not a blue blood), and he's doing better right now. His last 4 years>Cal's last 4 years. And he don't even have "The Kentucky effect."

But worse case scenario, we're losing 1st round. But, I'd like to take a chance and see if he can outperform worst case scenario. And I think he can.

Cal didn't think Gohlke was a good 3 point shooter. All anyone on CBS and ESPN said was "Man, that kid from Oakland is gonna light it up from 3." But our 9 million dollar basketball coach didn't know that.

So yeah, let's give SOMEONE else a chance. Maybe they lose 1st round. Maybe they get us back to a Final 4. Calipari definitely aint doing that.

I know what I'm getting with John Calipari in 2024. If we keep running him out there, we'll get more of the same. Zero doubts.

Now, if you put Scott Drew out there: Worst case scenario, he's just as bad as Cal. But, I think he could actually do better. Because he's at Baylor (not a blue blood), and he's doing better right now. His last 4 years>Cal's last 4 years. And he don't even have "The Kentucky effect."

But worse case scenario, we're losing 1st round. But, I'd like to take a chance and see if he can outperform worst case scenario. And I think he can.

Cal didn't think Gohlke was a good 3 point shooter. All anyone on CBS and ESPN said was "Man, that kid from Oakland is gonna light it up from 3." But our 9 million dollar basketball coach didn't know that.

So yeah, let's give SOMEONE else a chance. Maybe they lose 1st round. Maybe they get us back to a Final 4. Calipari definitely aint doing that.
Hell, I started a thread about him days before the game. And the replies all said he'll light our swiss cheese defense up. Us dumbasses on a forum knew that, but Cal didn't? 9 million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to.

Another name for the blacklist.

200w.gif

You think it's BBUK4EVER, or Herros?

Is Drew available ? If you say this, how do you know this ? You speak as if Drew is 100% available. Mitch is VERY high on Drew, they both have the same values / beliefs in life, IF Mitch doesn't get rid of Cal, obviously Drew was not hirable THIS year.

Nope....your wrong. Lexington is a great place to practice your Christian faith.
You're*

There's lots of places in the world to practice your faith that aren't conservative, though.

Contrary to what you may have heard, there are religious liberals. Even some Christians.

You do not see any suitable replacement? ANYBODY….we just lost to Oakland with 4 of the most talented group of guards we’ve had in a long time..
This is obviously someone connected to Cal's camp or the UK athletic department.

Time to sew some seeds.

There’s dozens if not probably 100 coaches that would do a better job than the car salesman. The game has passed him by completely. He turned 65 this year. Even if things were going well it would be time to think about a replacement. As it is? Forget it
I don’t the the OP and for sure I’m not disagreeing that a change is needed but were saying it’s best to make sure to get the right hire long term even if it takes a year.

We all know that regardless of who’s coaching next year, the results are likely the same with current players and commits making moves if Cal is fired.

If I could wait a year and get a Donovan or Hurley type coach vs taking a Drew or Golden now, I’m willing to wait. If you can get a big hire now then for sure go for it.

You're*

There's lots of places in the world to practice your faith that aren't conservative, though.

Contrary to what you may have heard, there are religious liberals. Even some Christians.
Great input....amazing insight from you 🤷‍♂️ ....

You've named literally ever place in the USA and around the globe.

Lexington for sure has it's liberal faith institutions (Gay pride church about 2 miles from Rupp Arena) and more conservative. But the city is a fine city oveall IMO and very safe environment to raise a family.

But to the point originally....No reason at all Scott Drew can't be a viable UK coach as opposed to Baylor.

Great input....amazing insight from you 🤷‍♂️ ....

You've named literally ever place in the USA and around the globe.

Lexington for sure has it's liberal faith institutions (Gay pride church about 2 miles from Rupp Arena) and more conservative. But the city is a fine city oveall IMO and very safe environment to raise a family.

But to the point originally....No reason at all Scott Drew can't be a viable UK coach as opposed to Baylor.
Yea, that's fine and all, but your said it was a conservative city. There isn't much about Lexington that is conservative. In fact, it's a pretty liberal, progressive city.

I want anyone but Cal. I have heard enough of constant talking rather than doing. I have had enough of him playing subpar players ahead of better players. I have simply had enough of Calipari.

Last edited:
I want anyone but Cal. I have enough of constant talking rather than doing. I have had enough of him playing subpar players ahead of better players. I have simply had enough of Calipari.
Anyone but Cal will not cut it. We do not want to go back to BCG or even worse.

This won't go over well with some posters, but if some of you hadn't been so star struck you would have realized that Cal sucked before he signed his contract. I got booted from the board numerous times for some of my posts about Cal. It was very obvious that the team was winning in spite of his horrible coaching. The main reason the team won back then was because there was no portal, COVID years, or NIL money that keeps good but not great college players from attempting to go to the NBA until they have exhausted their eligibilities. We are seeing nothing different from this carpet bagger than what he has done every season he has been here.
Part of this post doesn't make a lot of sense. "Only reason they won back then was because there was no portal, covid, or NIL money" . You used there wasn't covid ? Wow, covid is nothing like the portal or NIL it was a damn pandemic. "Players didn't have NIL so they stayed and exhausted eligibility because they couldn't go pro" that actually hurt UK trying to win. Teams had players for 3 or 4 years because they stayed . You act like that helps UK. We lose more kids to the NBA than ANY team and have the whole Cal Era. So no he didn't win back then because of special circumstances gave him an advantage. The opposite actually. Other teams kept players and we lost players every year. You are hurting your argument using that. It's tougher to win now with NIL and the portal. Not easier. Shake my head, covid ? You used covid in your theory??

While I don’t want him to be the head coach of UK as much as I do some other coaches, preaching the word of Jesus is definitely more important than coaching basketball. And he’s very brave for saying that in todays culture

Reactions: crestcat

I did spend a little time reading up more on Scott Drew. Hard pass! No way anyone can let him near players at a public university. He needs to either be a preacher, or be a basketball coach.

Thanks for bringing this to light.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT