ADVERTISEMENT

It appears Mitch will stick with Cal for now.

I am fine with that because I do not see any suitable replacement. Changing coaches for the sake of change is not a sound strategy. It never has.
1. Why is not Scott Drew, Nate Oats, Shaka Smart, etc..not suitable replacemnets?
2. What suitable replacements will be vastly different from next year to this year?

I don't get that as a reason to stick on Cal.

I am fine with that because I do not see any suitable replacement. Changing coaches for the sake of change is not a sound strategy. It never has.
I agree with that maybe between now and the end of next year we can talk Billy Donovan into coming back to Kentucky my number one choice for a replacement if we could get him..🏀 of course it all depends on next year and see how cow tries to change his way!!

I’ll qualify this by saying I don’t hate Cal. I’m not going to join in with calling him names. Nor do I think outrageous things like he loses on purpose or no longer cares.

But, something is wrong. It’s just not working any more. It would be best for the program if he were to move on. Like, today. It would be best for him as well. He’s 65 and has lots of money. Retire, travel, hang with family. It was a good run.

UK needs a new coach.

I just don't get this argument whatsoever. Pretty much any coach within the top 40 or so programs would be a suitable replacement for Cal. I'm sure there are a few that might not, but most of them would be an improvement over our last several years.

1. Why is not Scott Drew, Nate Oats, Shaka Smart, etc..not suitable replacemnets?
2. What suitable replacements will be vastly different from next year to this year?

I don't get that as a reason to stick on Cal.
  1. The guys on your list would actually have to want to come here. I suggest you read up on Scott Drew's huge emphasis on religion within his programs to learn why he's not leaving his safe little private Baptist college. Nate Oats just signed an extension and it's very possible we can't afford his buyout on top of Cal's. Shaka is at the level of program he's perfect at already. He couldn't handle being under the microscope at Texas and I doubt he's giving that type of environment another try for a while.
  2. The suitable replacement needs to be worth the $33 million buyout. Spending $33 million to make a lateral move wasn't going to happen.

Indiana fans said the same.
Indiana is Indiana solely because they can't hire the right coach. They're not a dead program, they just have hired bad coach after bad coach after bad coach. Programs are only as good as their coach these days and that's just the reality of it.

And one of the reasons Woodson is coming back next year is they can't afford to keep paying all these coaching buyouts. They're still paying Archie's, just paid a massive buyout to their football coach, and don't have the cash for Woodson's too. This is a scenario I would assume Mitch is trying to avoid as well.

Reactions: jeff halcomb
I’ll qualify this by saying I don’t hate Cal. I’m not going to join in with calling him names. Nor do I think outrageous things like he loses on purpose or no longer cares.

But, something is wrong. It’s just not working any more. It would be best for the program if he were to move on. Like, today. It would be best for him as well. He’s 65 and has lots of money. Retire, travel, hang with family. It was a good run.

UK needs a new coach.
Perfect way to be constructively critical and not get personal.

Another name for the blacklist.

200w.gif

1. The guys on your list would actually have to want to come here. I suggest you read up on Scott Drew's huge emphasis on religion within his programs to learn why he's not leaving his safe little private Baptist college. Nate Oats just signed an extension and it's very possible we can't afford his buyout on top of Cal's. Shaka is at the level of program he's perfect at already. He couldn't handle being under the microscope at Texas and I doubt he's giving that type of environment another try for a while.
  2. The suitable replacement needs to be worth the $33 million buyout. Spending $33 million to make a lateral move wasn't going to happen.
So I disagree on Shaka Smart...and we can argue all we want on Scott Drew...but as the Big12 becomes more irrelevant by the years.....I'd argue his religion isn't going to sway as much (and Lexington is a perfectly great conservative place to live).

But who exactly is going to emerge as a great candidate next year if we keep waiting?

Reactions: catzcan and Cats192
How low do you want the bar at UK? Make room for the "participation trophies". Any coach could have beat Cal's record the past 5 years....for a lot less than 10 million/yr.

I can’t believe people saying these kinds of things are actually fans. Cal isn’t working for Kentucky basketball he’s the coach in name only
What makes the poster you replied to think he is even qualified to know who would make a good coach? This isn't as much about who isn't a possible good coach as it is about John not being a good coach, or the right coach for Kentucky. People talking about there only being a couple of coaches that are right for Kentucky. Even if it is true how does one know for certain? You either know how to coach or you don't. The game doesn't change just because it is Kentucky. Posters keep repeating this tired cliche without having a clue as to what it even means. This tired mantra needs to be retired and never repeated again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT