ADVERTISEMENT

The leverage now is Mitch Barnhart's to use.

DrH. Lecter

All-American
Apr 5, 2007
The leverage now is Mitch Barnhart's to use. When the UCLA job was a-knocking and UK was fresh off of an E8, Cal had all the leverage in the negotiation. And Cal used it.

Did that piss Barnhart off? It would be understandable because Cal was clearly disloyal by talking with UCLA and using that for the infamous 10-yr contract extension.

But the worm has turned. Leverage Barnhart's. Will he use it and what will he take back from Cal who is at an all-time low point. Does Mitch use this leverage to toss out Cal? That time may never be better. 95% of us hate Cal right now. Mitch can expel a lot of demons that have been chasing him in the fanbase who call the leveraged contract "life time." To expel the demons of the BCG hire and Joker and other truly unfair criticisms.

You've got the leverage Mitch. But do you have an itchy trigger finger? Today we find out.

Mitch is going to want full control over the program and he hasn’t had that for a long time now. You never know with Cal he may not agree to some of these things Mitch will ask of him and that’s where it gets tricky. Does Mitch so okay then we are moving on?

What leverage does Mitch have? He could have called Cals bluff with UCLA or told him to kick rocks back then.

But, now UK is being held hostage (0 leverage). Only options are to continue with Cal or fire him with a $33million price tag. Mitch really messed this one up!
Disagree. First, your monday morning QB of 2019 is silly. Oh yea, Call his "bluff." LOL.

Mitch has the leverage and money is not an obstacle. Public opinion is almost universal. Fire him.

Public opinion is almost universal. Fire him.
I'd really be interested in knowing what the overall view of the fans are. Sure, on boards like this it's almost universal. But people on this board are, generally speaking, more invested, knowledgeable, etc. in the program.

I wish someone would poll fans across the state to see what the masses really think. If I had to guess, it would be something like 65-35 in favor of kicking him to the curb. But I honestly have no idea.

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
I would be shocked beyond words if Mitch Barnhart used any leverage or might at all in his meeting. Not because he shouldn’t have any, but because that’s not his persona, at least any we’ve seen during his time here.

If he wanted to do it, he could force Calipari to quit under a mountain of demands and no one would have an ill word to say about him for it (Barnhart, that is). I think it’s more likely that we leave this meeting with an alleged coming together of the mission and objectives, along with some new buzzwords and catchphrases that’ll be parroted all off-season.

Fast forward 12 more months, we have this exact same discussion over again because in actuality, the only thing that changed was the names on the back of the jerseys.

I would be shocked beyond words if Mitch Barnhart used any leverage or might at all in his meeting. Not because he shouldn’t have any, but because that’s not his persona, at least any we’ve seen during his time here.

If he wanted to do it, he could force Calipari to quit under a mountain of demands and no one would have an ill word to say about him for it (Barnhart, that is). I think it’s more likely that we leave this meeting with an alleged coming together of the mission and objectives, along with some new buzzwords and catchphrases that’ll be parroted all off-season.

Fast forward 12 more months, we have this exact same discussion over again because in actuality, the only thing that changed was the names on the back of the jerseys.
I understand and agree with much of this but I really believe, and maybe Mitch does too, that if he allows Cal to remain that next year at this time this happens once more.

BUT the difference next year will be that BOTH Mitch and Cal will be fired. So it boils down to whether Mitch wants to have his job rest on next season. Does he think Cal will/can actually change. Much of that depends on who stays. If Mitch knows who is on the way out...if its all of them which is the likely scenario...then Mitch is smart enough to know this happens all season next season.

My hope....Mitch does not want to hitch his wagon to Cal and will force Cal out.

The leverage now is Mitch Barnhart's to use. When the UCLA job was a-knocking and UK was fresh off of an E8, Cal had all the leverage in the negotiation. And Cal used it.

Did that piss Barnhart off? It would be understandable because Cal was clearly disloyal by talking with UCLA and using that for the infamous 10-yr contract extension.

But the worm has turned. Leverage Barnhart's. Will he use it and what will he take back from Cal who is at an all-time low point. Does Mitch use this leverage to toss out Cal? That time may never be better. 95% of us hate Cal right now. Mitch can expel a lot of demons that have been chasing him in the fanbase who call the leveraged contract "life time." To expel the demons of the BCG hire and Joker and other truly unfair criticisms.

You've got the leverage Mitch. But do you have an itchy trigger finger? Today we find out.

I want some of the crack you're on. Mitch had no leverage. When it became apparent there was no home run hire, I'm sure the money dried up. With no sure fire move, Mitch let him go on the radio and basically announce that'll he'll still be here. The contract worked exactly as it was supposed to for Cal.

I bet we don't hear a single statement about UK basketball today. The statement was made when he spoke on the radio show.

I understand and agree with much of this but I really believe, and maybe Mitch does too, that if he allows Cal to remain that next year at this time this happens once more.

BUT the difference next year will be that BOTH Mitch and Cal will be fired. So it boils down to whether Mitch wants to have his job rest on next season. Does he think Cal will/can actually change. Much of that depends on who stays. If Mitch knows who is on the way out...if its all of them which is the likely scenario...then Mitch is smart enough to know this happens all season next season.

My hope....Mitch does not want to hitch his wagon to Cal and will force Cal out.

Fired by who? The only people who can fire him is the Board of Trustees (not happening) and Eli Capilouto (not happening). For whatever basketball is, he runs a highly respected and profitable athletics department, and no that will not change if a few grumps on here boycott.

I'd personally like to see them both go, but it isn't happening short of a fist fight between Mitch and Cal.

• Love
Reactions: blubo
Disagree. First, your monday morning QB of 2019 is silly. Oh yea, Call his "bluff." LOL.

Mitch has the leverage and money is not an obstacle. Public opinion is almost universal. Fire him.

If money is not an obstacle and public opinion says fire him then Mitch wouldn’t need the leverage to do anything he would just do it. The fact that Mitch hasn’t fired him and probably won’t seems that Cal still holds all the leverage.

What exactly would Mitch need leverage for anyways? To make Cal change? Cal isn’t going to learn to be the best coach overnight and the overwhelming talent is not available for next season.

Cal still has all the leverage, $33 million, plus 7 nba all stars and 20 other pro’s that will trash the program the second he has been let go.

Cal knows UK needs a home-run hire to replace him and probably knows who they have reached out to, unless one of those guys said sure, zero leverage for Mitch. In the event one of those guys said yes, the move would’ve already been made if the money is indeed there.

Mitch has zero legal leverage. None. He only has slight perception leverage. How much does cal care about his public image? That's really what it boils down to, because legally there is nothing they can do besides pay him his money.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Cal still has all the leverage, $33 million, plus 7 nba all stars and 20 other pro’s that will trash the program the second he has been let go.

that's another angle that hasn't been mentioned as much. Cal's players are fiercely loyal to him, not necessarily UK. We'd have years of anti UK sentiment from recruits favorite players.

Reactions: Jont0805
When it became apparent there was no home run hire, I'm sure the money dried up.
Apparent to whom? When he fired BCG I suppose that there were no homerun hires...since you seem to believe you must not have a job already to be considered available. For our job EVERYONE is potentially available, working or not.

Not really seeing much leverage. Unless that leverage is you're fired and we pay your buyout or if you really want to stay you have to restructure and what ever else he demands.

But in the grand scheme that isn't a whole lot when, as Cal put it, he can buy an island if we fire him.

The big gray area is the contract imo is following policy. Mitch, as AD, can determine those policies that Cal must abide by. He can chose to make those more onerous and public. He can also control scheduling, facilities, travel expenses etc. It’s not correct to say he has zero leverage.

Not really seeing much leverage. Unless that leverage is you're fired and we pay your buyout or if you really want to stay you have to restructure and what ever else he demands.

But in the grand scheme that isn't a whole lot when, as Cal put it, he can buy an island if we fire him.
Leverage of a unified fanbase as to the necessary firing.
Leverage to Cal coming off of 0-fer NCAA's to double digit seeds.
Leverage because there is no UCLA looking to hire Cal....or is there?
Leverage in that MB can make many demands and Cal has to swallow hard....or quit.
Leverage to the fact the no one but a couple in this thread will shed a tear that he is gone.

Apparent to whom? When he fired BCG I suppose that there were no homerun hires...since you seem to believe you must not have a job already to be considered available. For our job EVERYONE is potentially available, working or not.
oh man the crack is taking hold. Calipari was the home run hire. Many (including me) wanted him after Tubby. In those two years where we had BCG, Cal went 71-6 and went to the title game. He was arguably the biggest home run hire of all time ( and even then, hyper conservative Mitch had to be goaded into it by alumni).

Now our most realistic option would have been Scott Drew, which isn't exactly setting the world on fire, especially not for spending 33 million to even be allowed to hire him, and even he may have said no. Hyper conservative Mitch wasn't risking all that.

Put down the pipe my man.

• Sad
Reactions: JFCats22 and catben

How do we know money is not an obstacle ?

Leverage of a unified fanbase as to the necessary firing.
Leverage to Cal coming off of 0-fer NCAA's to double digit seeds.
Leverage because there is no UCLA looking to hire Cal....or is there?
Leverage in that MB can make many demands and Cal has to swallow hard....or quit.
Leverage to the fact the no one but a couple in this thread will shed a tear that he is gone.
What exactly do you think he could impose to force Cal to quit without a buyout? Once the ball is tipped he's gonna do whatever he wants anyway.

oh man the crack is taking hold. Calipari was the home run hire. Many (including me) wanted him after Tubby. In those two years where we had BCG, Cal went 71-6 and went to the title game. He was arguably the biggest home run hire of all time ( and even then, hyper conservative Mitch had to be goaded into it by alumni).

Now our most realistic option would have been Scott Drew, which isn't exactly setting the world on fire, especially not for spending 33 million to even be allowed to hire him, and even he may have said no. Hyper conservative Mitch wasn't risking all that.

Put down the pipe my man.
Obtuse much? He had a job, Memphis. By all appearance happy there. Memphians loved his every BS statement. He was not "available." At least by your metric.

But then if you are flip-flopping by asserting that a guy with a job was available....then certainly so is Self and Few and any other coach out there that like Cal, has a job. Don't be so stupid. Try consistency. Make a substance based argument and not swiss cheese.

that's another angle that hasn't been mentioned as much. Cal's players are fiercely loyal to him, not necessarily UK. We'd have years of anti UK sentiment from recruits favorite players.
I am not familiar with a single person who gives a shit what any NBA player thinks, especially ones who spent 1 season here and we hardly even know them by name. They were hired guns passing through town for the name on their backs.

Reactions: blubo
I think the leverage he does have is Mitch can fire everyone of Cal’s assistants and approve of any new hires. The key is to make it hell and impossible for Cal so he then moves on without agreeing to a reduced settlement.

I would also add, Mitch should fine Cal for every missed call-in show or media obligation and/or use it as leverage for a breach of contract. Take away his university credit card and make him submit travel vouchers or reimbursement requests for every dollar of university money he uses.

Mitch has 0 leverage. Either pay the buyout or stfu and let Cal keep running the program.

I think the leverage he does have is Mitch can fire everyone of Cal’s assistants and approve of any new hires. The key is to make it hell and impossible for Cal so he then moves on without agreeing to a reduced settlement.
So despite the MB haters above....Mitch has lots of leverage that he can use....plus the support of 95% of the fans who want Cal to leave one way or another.

Reactions: March 22
This thread is ridiculous. Mitch has zero leverage. He doesn’t want to fire Cal and very much does not want to pay him $33 million. So, what leverage does Mitch have???
Well stated. If anything Mitch was/is praying Cal turns or turned it around (he didn't) so he wouldn't be under fire with this. They are arm in arm in the decline as much as they reportedly detest each other.

So despite the MB haters above....Mitch has lots of leverage that he can use....plus the support of 95% of the fans who want Cal to leave one way or another.
Agree. Anything that isn’t specifically given in his contract should be striped. For example, I doubt his contract specifies where his office is or how big it is, so therefore, take it away. Give him a janitors closet and repurpose his current office in the Craft Center to now be the Volleyball team’s film room. Make life hell and impossible to be successful so he leaves. $33 million is a lot to give away when you can leverage less.

Leverage to do what? If you’re just talking about firing Cal, he could have theoretically done that at any time, we would just owe the buyout, and still will, so nothing has really fundamentally changed about the situation.

If you mean there’s some sort of threat that could be made that would convince Cal to walk away from the buyout, that’s just wishful thinking.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
eventually it will come down to big $$ donors. always does

Agree. Anything that isn’t specifically given in his contract should be striped. For example, I doubt his contract specifies where his office is or how big it is, so therefore, take it away. Give him a janitors closet and repurpose his current office in the Craft Center to now be the Volleyball team’s film room. Make life hell and impossible to be successful so he leaves. $33 million is a lot to give away when you can leverage less.

Seinfeld isn't real life, just so you know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT