ADVERTISEMENT

The leverage now is Mitch Barnhart's to use.

I am not familiar with a single person who gives a shit what any NBA player thinks, especially ones who spent 1 season here and we hardly even know them by name. They were hired guns passing through town for the name on their backs.
god the amount of crack you're taking. The RECRUITS care.

Obtuse much? He had a job, Memphis. By all appearance happy there. Memphians loved his every BS statement. He was not "available." At least by your metric.

But then if you are flip-flopping by asserting that a guy with a job was available....then certainly so is Self and Few and any other coach out there that like Cal, has a job. Don't be so stupid. Try consistency. Make a substance based argument and not swiss cheese.
no shit he had a job, but everyone knew he would come to a blue blood if offered. You need to get back on your meds.

psssst.... do you think that the next guy we hire will have some dudes in the league too. Or will be coaching some in the league. You are not a deep thinker are you.
Just take the L on this thread and move on. You’re on an island by yourself on this one.

Leverage to do what? If you’re just talking about firing Cal, he could have theoretically done that at any time, we would just owe the buyout, and still will, so nothing has really fundamentally changed about the situation.

If you mean there’s some sort of threat that could be made that would convince Cal to walk away from the buyout, that’s just wishful thinking.
No. The leverage is his actual post season record. His mismanagement of an actual PROGRAM due to his fixation on the Draft Day he called the greatest moment in UK history.

He now has a broad consensus from the fans, the money folks, likely the ADept, that this MUST end and no one will question the need to replace Cal. That is leverage. PR is huge when the guy you are wishing to fire has absolutely no counter to why he needs to go. The money will return because they are going to lose it one way or another.

The leverage now is Mitch Barnhart's to use. When the UCLA job was a-knocking and UK was fresh off of an E8, Cal had all the leverage in the negotiation. And Cal used it.

Did that piss Barnhart off? It would be understandable because Cal was clearly disloyal by talking with UCLA and using that for the infamous 10-yr contract extension.

But the worm has turned. Leverage Barnhart's. Will he use it and what will he take back from Cal who is at an all-time low point. Does Mitch use this leverage to toss out Cal? That time may never be better. 95% of us hate Cal right now. Mitch can expel a lot of demons that have been chasing him in the fanbase who call the leveraged contract "life time." To expel the demons of the BCG hire and Joker and other truly unfair criticisms.

You've got the leverage Mitch. But do you have an itchy trigger finger? Today we find out.
It has been talked about on HOB that Barnhart was against giving him the lifetime contract but was forced to by the administration. And Cal has rubbed his nose in it ever since. And now everyone gives Barnhart hell for the contract. I have no idea how much of that is true.

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
It has been talked about on HOB that Barnhart was against giving him the lifetime contract but was forced to by the administration. And Cal has rubbed his nose in it ever since. And now everyone gives Barnhart hell for the contract. I have no idea how much of that is true.
Then this is his chance to end the life. I bet he loves the leverage he has now.

Reactions: yoshukai
Now that we know more about the inner workings of the days leading up to today....its fun to revisit some of the opinions we all throw out.

Reactions: ghorn19
I want some of the crack you're on. Mitch had no leverage. When it became apparent there was no home run hire, I'm sure the money dried up. With no sure fire move, Mitch let him go on the radio and basically announce that'll he'll still be here. The contract worked exactly as it was supposed to for Cal.

I bet we don't hear a single statement about UK basketball today. The statement was made when he spoke on the radio show.
This didn't age well did it?

Losing to a 14 seed and a 15 seed in the first round in a matter of three seasons is not conducive to giving any high level coach “leverage”.

It was obviously knowledge enhancer.
Your original point still didn’t work. Mitch didn’t have leverage. Neither of us, or almost anyone in the world, foresaw Cal violating his own contract.

Obviously once that happened, Mitch had the leverage, but not before.

Your original point still didn’t work. Mitch didn’t have leverage. Neither of us, or almost anyone in the world, foresaw Cal violating his own contract.

Obviously once that happened, Mitch had the leverage, but not before.
You can go argue with actual sports writers who agreed with my assessment, not yours. Its okay to be wrong. So many of you were. I am just a better observer of the situation than most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT