ADVERTISEMENT

How happy are you with Cal's Job?

How do you feel about Cal as coach?

• Total voters
You need to pump the breaks on your attitude. You are reading way to much into my thread. If you thought this thread was to show uk fans as not liking Cal, you are sadly mistaken.

There is a segment of our fan base that complains about everything. If you don't see that then you are blind. This thread was thought up because I got tired of reading those posts and wanted to see where they really stood when it came to actually signing their name to it.

So if you took it as a insult against UK fans as a whole then you missed the point. I love BBN, I'm certainly glad I'm part of BBN and I'm glad everyone is professing their love for Cal in one way or another. But please stop assigning an agenda where there is none.

Edit - Wow, after reading ALL of your posts and attacks against me and/or this poll I can see that you have issues. If you don't feel the poll is worded correctly or feel there should be a different measuring devise please feel free to start your own "perfect" poll. I'm sure no one will nitpick your wording.

lol. Attackas against you? You're running in circles and you're not really addressing what I said. Saying I I have "issues" is actually the closest thing to an attack that I've seen between the both of us.

You stated that your intent was to show theres a segment of fans that are out of touch. That is your statement. Then this poll was worded with a "gotcha" way to it. You deny that you have an agenda, then you readily admit you actually had an agenda. Which is it? I actually don't believe you had some ill intent, I just don't think you've thought this out rationally. That's all.

To me, there's probably 98.5 to 99% in favor of mostly everything Calipari has done. I don't think there's a large enough portion of fans that dont basically approve to label them a segment. I feel it's giving attention where there really shouldn't be any. It's more like 3 people and a few handfuls of trolls. It's irrelevant and honestly if you don't understand that then you don't even understand your own poll which clearly shows theres no issue.

But, honestly as Mjk stated, this thread has been great for exposing isiods that don't know their vote shows, lol

Add SouthernINcat to the list. voted a 3.

lol. Attackas against you? You're running in circles and you're not really addressing what I said. Saying I I have "issues" is actually the closest thing to an attack that I've seen between the both of us.

You stated that your intent was to show theres a segment of fans that are out of touch. That is your statement. Then this poll was worded with a "gotcha" way to it. You deny that you have an agenda, then you readily admit you actually had an agenda. Which is it? I actually don't believe you had some ill intent, I just don't think you've thought this out rationally. That's all.

To me, there's probably 98.5 to 99% in favor of mostly everything Calipari has done. I don't think there's a large enough portion of fans that dont basically approve to label them a segment. I feel it's giving attention where there really shouldn't be any. It's more like 3 people and a few handfuls of trolls. It's irrelevant and honestly if you don't understand that then you don't even understand your own poll which clearly shows theres no issue.

I understand the poll. You are misrepresenting what I am saying. Also look around the board, there are tons of negative comments regarding something cal has either said or done. Now you may be correct, those comments may have all been said by trolls I don't know the members well enough to know which ones are UK fans or not. My assumption has been that most who post here are UK fans. Hence the reason I said a segment.

Go look at my first post for a reference on what I thought about most fans. .. I clearly stated that I think they are happy with Cal. So I had NO agenda. So, thank you for turning this into something it was never intended to be.

I understand the poll. You are misrepresenting what I am saying. Also look around the board, there are tons of negative comments regarding something cal has either said or done. Now you may be correct, those comments may have all been said by trolls I don't know the members well enough to know which ones are UK fans or not. My assumption has been that most who post here are UK fans. Hence the reason I said a segment.

Go look at my first post for a reference on what I thought about most fans. .. I clearly stated that I think they are happy with Cal. So I had NO agenda. So, thank you for turning this into something it was never intended to be.

It's cool. You are going to dodge and keep this going. You admitted you had an agenda with the poll. Pure and simple. It's right there for everyone to see. I'm not misrepresenting anything.You are trying to create an issue where there isn't one, and the poll proved something to me that obviously you didn't intend by your own statements. Also, there aren't "TONS" of negative comments in this thread. It's just more misleading statements.

I clearly outlined that it was basically trolls that voted a 3. It's really very simple. If you believe your own poll, then you'd say the BBN is basically united on Calipari. We have a small segment on this board that also wants you to agree on everything, and if you don't, you're "being negative", but it's a farce. I sure won't let those people set the table. I can love Cal being the coach and not agree on every bit of style. I actually have my own opinions.

I'm not going to keep chasing in circles. Let's just let it go.

Look, you can think and vote how you want, but the guy has never said anything derogatory about the program. Just because he feels the way he does about things like the SEC tournament and his feelings regarding the NCAA Championship vs. having a bunch of players drafted to the NBA, doesn't mean that it should diminish him as our coach in any way, not even in the slightest. The fact of the matter is that despite what he says sometimes, he cares deeply about winning, the UK basketball tradition and he wins. Not to mention that he has made UK relevant again in a major way, so he deserves the highest vote he can get in my opinion.

Exactly. I don't see how people actually get upset with Cal for saying those things. It's all marketing. He's selling the program to the next high school superstar.

All people have to do is pay attention, apply a little logic and take a look at Cal's results, then it all becomes very clear.

Simply put, for someone who doesn't care enough about winning in some people's eyes, the man sure does a hell of a lot of it.

I'm not upset wth Cal saying those things. I simply wish he would add a statement about NC's when he is making his sales pitch. First and most important, Cal is a good man. He teaches his players to be good men. I enjoy their success on draft night, but I simply want him to sound like NC's are at the top of his priority list. Winning only helps his players. He has been very clear though, players before program. That s the difference between a 4 and a 5 on this vote, imo.

Some of the things he says make me cringe, and I'm not talking about his comments about the draft. "We don't just play college basketball, we ARE college basketball!" "We don't just move the needle, we ARE the needle!" Come on, man. Do you really think the recruits come here for that? I go to Kroger and see the UK and U of L stuff side by side, and all the UK stuff has things like "perfecting college basketball" on it.

Umm...well I'd say shopping for clothes at Kroger sounds like a you problem, not a things that Cal says problem.

Cal didn't be say what I want , boo hoo . I'm glad he pains some of you with what he says and he does it intentionally because he knows there is no satisfying that group . It's as studip as the idiots who say he doesn't know X's and O's . I bet if he said titles are the most important we would have won a couple extrans .

Reactions: michaeluk26
Cal didn't be say what I want , boo hoo . I'm glad he pains some of you with what he says and he does it intentionally because he knows there is no satisfying that group . It's as studip as the idiots who say he doesn't know X's and O's . I bet if he said titles are the most important we would have won a couple extrans .

Just curious...what is your first language?

It's cool. You are going to dodge and keep this going. You admitted you had an agenda with the poll. Pure and simple. It's right there for everyone to see. I'm not misrepresenting anything.You are trying to create an issue where there isn't one, and the poll proved something to me that obviously you didn't intend by your own statements. Also, there aren't "TONS" of negative comments in this thread. It's just more misleading statements.

I clearly outlined that it was basically trolls that voted a 3. It's really very simple. If you believe your own poll, then you'd say the BBN is basically united on Calipari. We have a small segment on this board that also wants you to agree on everything, and if you don't, you're "being negative", but it's a farce. I sure won't let those people set the table. I can love Cal being the coach and not agree on every bit of style. I actually have my own opinions.

I'm not going to keep chasing in circles. Let's just let it go.

Lol, I'm sorry but you keep changing what I actually said to something to fit your agenda. I never said that there was a lot of negative comments in this thread. There are a lot of negative comments on the board. There is a difference.

It seems to me that others have have said some things to you regarding your comments on the board and you are attempting to justify them here. It makes a lot of sense now, your aggressiveness towards what you are labeling (incorrectly) as an agenda poll. Ball is in your court. Drop it? Fine with me.

I see the Internet coaches are still butthurt nobody cares about their worthless opinions.

Nothing ever changes at the ole Rafters.

Cal is currently 180-32 at UK. In his first 200 games, we were 163-37. A previous UK coach had the EXACT same record after 200 games. His name was Rupp. Also, if we go 51-21 over the next 2 yrs (during '13 and '14 we were 50-23, and that has been our "valley"), Cal will match the Baron's record over the first 300 games. That's pretty good. You could call it legendary. I've been thrilled with his recruiting and representation of our program and the results. This final number blows me away ... Cal is 102 and 4 at Rupp. 102 wins and only 4 losses!! Granted, there's some cupcakes in there, but also some big boys & little brothers. Regardless, 102-4 is incredible.

Having said that ... do I love everything he does? No, for example, I wish we would've watched game film on Wiscy (if that rumor is true). But I don't have to love everything he does. I do trust that he knows better than us and I hope he stays at least two more decades. Rupp coached 1,066 games at UK. I hope Cal coaches 1,067!

[Honestly, I thought he was burnt out prior to the 12-13 tourney run and had concerns for his health. Am glad to see that has passed.]

Lost In FL said:
Having said that ... do I love everything he does? No, for example, I wish we would've watched game film on Wiscy (if that rumor is true).
Yes, that rumor is true, but what I don't understand is why everyone that brings it up harps on the Wisconsin game, like that's the reason they lost.

Since day one of Cal's tenure the players have never watched film, ever. They have prepared for each and every game the same exact way as they prepared for the Wisconsin game.

Robic and sometimes Cal watch film, Robic breaks the film down into a 10-15 minute clip that focuses on the opponent's biggest strengths and weaknesses, then the players are given that clip to watch.

It has always been that way with Cal. Nothing about the preparation for the Wisconsin game was any different from the other 211 games. That approach didn't seem to matter when Cal was going 180-31, so I doubt that approached mattered in the one loss to Wisconsin.

I'd like to take this moment to reiterate: Jamal Mercer loves Coach Cal and hopes he stays at UK until he's old and decrepit.

Jamal Mercer loves a coach who wins.

That is all.

Reactions: Big Cat fan
I'm surprised some of the players don't ask to watch film. Maybe they do and we don't know about it. I worked for an NFL team, and there were guys who watched two hours of film a day, on top of what they watched in meetings. One defensive lineman said he could pick up things like when the ball was about to be snapped by the way an offensive lineman moved part of his body. Seems like you could study an hour of film on the guy you'll be guarding and pick up something Robic didn't, because you're looking for different things.

I'm surprised some of the players don't ask to watch film. Maybe they do and we don't know about it. I worked for an NFL team, and there were guys who watched two hours of film a day, on top of what they watched in meetings. One defensive lineman said he could pick up things like when the ball was about to be snapped by the way an offensive lineman moved part of his body. Seems like you could study an hour of film on the guy you'll be guarding and pick up something Robic didn't, because you're looking for different things.
Football is totally different than basketball. Matter of fact, it's not even comparible from this stand point.

Guess how most NBA teams go about having their players watch film? They have video guy that breaks down the film and cuts it up into clips for the players to watch. Sound familiar?

NBA players that spend hours watching film do it on their own time. In, college, between classes, tutors, practice, hormones, etc, etc... sitting down and watching hours upon hours of game film on one's own time just isn't gonna be very high on the priority list.

That's one of the reasons most of these kids can't wait to get to the NBA and leave after a year, because a lot of distractions leave with them leaving college. They can focus strictly on basketball 24/7 if they choose to do so.

Football is totally different than basketball. Matter of fact, it's not even comparible from this stand point.

Guess how most NBA teams go about having their players watch film? They have video guy that breaks down the film and cuts it up into clips for the players to watch. Sound familiar?

NBA players that spend hours watching film do it on their own time. In, college, between classes, tutors, practice, hormones, etc, etc... sitting down and watching hours upon hours of game film on one's own time just isn't gonna be very high on the priority list.

That's one of the reasons most of these kids can't wait to get to the NBA and leave after a year, because a lot of distractions leave with them leaving college. They can focus strictly on basketball 24/7 if they choose to do so.

You don't think you can pick up what a guy does just before he tries to blow by you, which direction he's likely to go, who another player looks for when they drive, things like that? Magic Johnson said Larry Bird used to know what the Lakers were running better than most of the Lakers. I mean, I get that these are college kids and they want to chase girls or play video games, but in the NCAA tournament I would think one or two guys would want that edge. When Bo Ryan told his kids to not foul the Harrisons in the final four minutes, they knew how to still guard them without doing that.

There is definitely a benefit to watching film (ex.what hand does he favor, passing lanes, crossover tells etc) however basketball is such a fluid game, there is very little time to recognize what your opponent is doing and come up with a counter move before he acts. The benefit to watching hours upon hours of film would be negligible and was certainly not the reason for the Wisconsin loss.

Football is WAY different in this regard. Before each play the defense is allowed to see which players enter the field, they see the setup of the offense and they have several seconds to mentally prepare, thinking through moves, counter moves and contingencies. Film study truly can benefit NFL players because they have time to utilize what they studied.

After the Tournament there has been a lot of turmoil in BBN or at least on this board. I've read a lot of negative comments regarding something that Cal has either said or done. I am a bit confused about this and wanted to know how the majority of fans felt (at least on this board). My guess is that most fans are happy with Cal and want him here for the long haul, but are just disappointed at the results of the Wisconsin game and the recent recruiting snubs.

So How happy are you with Cal's job? Me, I'm ecstatic.
I am as happy and happy can be with Coach Cal.

and mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I voted 4 but disagree that he always knows and does what is best for UK basketball. He has been good for UK basketball but no way I say he has been perfect for UK baskletball
Can you name a better example for perfection?

You don't think you can pick up what a guy does just before he tries to blow by you, which direction he's likely to go, who another player looks for when they drive, things like that?
Not really. If it takes someone watching hours of film to pick up on these type of things in the game of basketball, then I'm not quite sure they have the mental capacity to be playing basketball in the first place. Sorry, you can beat this film watching horse all you want, but under no circumstances should it take hours of watching film to pick up on another payer's tendencies or the other team's go to guy.

When Bo Ryan told his kids to not foul the Harrisons in the final four minutes, they knew how to still guard them without doing that.
What does this have to with watching film? If someone can't easily pick up on another player's tendencies and make a conscious effort to guard that player without fouling unless they watch hours of film on said player, then, again, basketball probably isn't the sport for them.

I can't say this with 100% certainty because I wasn't there to see it for myself, but I am fairly certain that between all the celebrating, excitement, multiple tv interviews, and multiple radio interviews the Wisconsin players didn't spend their Final 4 weekend watching hours of film on UK during their own free time (what very little they had).

With that said, since the Wisconsin players probably didn't watch hours of film on UK during their own free time, I am just as certain that watching hours a film had absolutely nothing to do with them being able to guard the Harrisons without fouling.

Not really. If it takes someone watching hours of film to pick up on these type of things in the game of basketball, then I'm not quite sure they have the mental capacity to be playing basketball in the first place. Sorry, you can beat this film watching horse all you want, but under no circumstances should it take hours of watching film to pick up on another payer's tendencies or the other team's go to guy.

What does this have to with watching film? If someone can't easily pick up on another player's tendencies and make a conscious effort to guard that player without fouling unless they watch hours of film on said player, then, again, basketball probably isn't the sport for them.

I can't say this with 100% certainty because I wasn't there to see it for myself, but I am fairly certain that between all the celebrating, excitement, multiple tv interviews, and multiple radio interviews the Wisconsin players didn't spend their Final 4 weekend watching hours of film on UK during their own free time (what very little they had).

With that said, since the Wisconsin players probably didn't watch hours of film on UK during their own free time, I am just as certain that watching hours a film had absolutely nothing to do with them being able to guard the Harrisons without fouling.

Bo Ryan showing his team film: "Here is the Notre Dame player sliding over in front of Andrew, who if he hadn't have been bailed out by this foul had no chance of making that shot. What I want you to do is use your feet. Get in position, don't, under any circumstances, try to block the shot. The Harrisons are trying to draw the foul, more than they are trying to make the shot. Don't play into their hands. Just get in position."

I can see that scenario. Can't you?

Bo Ryan showing his team film: "Here is the Notre Dame player sliding over in front of Andrew, who if he hadn't have been bailed out by this foul had no chance of making that shot. What I want you to do is use your feet. Get in position, don't, under any circumstances, try to block the shot. The Harrisons are trying to draw the foul, more than they are trying to make the shot. Don't play into their hands. Just get in position."

I can see that scenario. Can't you?

Watching hours of film on it? No. Watching a few minutes clip of the Harrissons, with a couple different segments of this scenario playing out, so that the players can make a mental note of the tendencies, strengths and weaknesses? Yes.

You don't think these are the same scenarios, tendencies, strengths and weaknesses that are included in Robic's clips that the players watch and discuss with the satff? That's the whole pint of what Robic is doing. He spends hours watching film, breaking it down and putting together clips that show scenarios of the other team's/player's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses, so that the staff can point them out and discuss them with the team.

So, basically, aren't both coaching staffs doing the exact same thing? I mean, that's exactly what you just praised Ryan for doing. Yet, when it comes to Cal, it's not good enough

Watching hours of film on it? No. Watching a few minutes clip of the Harrissons, with a couple different segments of this scenario playing out, so that the players can make a mental note of the tendencies, strengths and weaknesses? Yes.

You don't think these are the same scenarios, tendencies, strengths and weaknesses that are included in Robic's clips that the players watch and discuss with the satff? That's the whole pint of what Robic is doing. He spends hours watching film, breaking it down and putting together clips that show scenarios of the other team's/player's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses, so that the staff can point them out and discuss them with the team.

So, basically, aren't both coaching staffs doing the exact same thing? I mean, that's exactly what you just praised Ryan for doing. Yet, when it comes to Cal, it's not good enough

Wait, you've got the wrong guy. Someone else was criticizing Cal on this, not me. I just said I was surprised more players didn't watch film. Hell, I know I keep using football as an example, fair or not, but the Super Bowl was won by a scrub cornerback who recognized something he saw on film.

Cal needs to ditch the "no film philosophy". The players are too young and not knowledgeable enough to skate on something so important. I agree with cal on 90% of his takes. The film time will never be one. I still think think of film preparation hurt us badly against Wisconsin as I'm absolutely not alone in that. I still go back to the beginning of that final four where Bo Ryan said himself that his players were hounding film on us even RIGHT BEFORE the game. We come out soft and underprepared, Wisconsin came prepared and used every tool they had to beat us. Why would you leave film lying on the table? Your opposition sure didn't.

i still can't believe we have some fans that back the position. Why? Film works. Coaches at his level almost always use it. I really hate it when I feel like cal is going unconventional just for the sake of being different. And sometimes I feel we get caught up in that.

Use everything at your disposal when playing in the final four. leave nothing behind. Leave no stone unturned. Prepare as hard as you can. You don't get a do over.

Ok no. Bo Ryan said himself his team was watching lots of game film on UK. He even said they were watching it right before they took the stage bro. There's no confusing this or lumping people together to prove a point that is false.
Robic isn't playing the games. The players need to cover film so they aren't just relaying on their ability to win a game. It's amateur. Watch f'ing film in the final four.

I'm sure cal will correct it.

Ok no. Bo Ryan said himself his team was watching lots of game film on UK. He even said they were watching it right before they took the stage bro. There's no confusing this or lumping people together to prove a point that is false.
Robic isn't playing the games. The players need to cover film so they aren't just relaying on their ability to win a game. It's amateur. Watch f'ing film in the final four.

I'm sure cal will correct it.
That's been his philosophy the whole time he's been here, so don't count on it.

Cal needs to ditch the "no film philosophy". The players are too young and not knowledgeable enough to skate on something so important. I agree with cal on 90% of his takes. The film time will never be one. I still think think of film preparation hurt us badly against Wisconsin as I'm absolutely not alone in that. I still go back to the beginning of that final four where Bo Ryan said himself that his players were hounding film on us even RIGHT BEFORE the game. We come out soft and underprepared, Wisconsin came prepared and used every tool they had to beat us. Why would you leave film lying on the table? Your opposition sure didn't.

i still can't believe we have some fans that back the position. Why? Film works. Coaches at his level almost always use it. I really hate it when I feel like cal is going unconventional just for the sake of being different. And sometimes I feel we get caught up in that.

Use everything at your disposal when playing in the final four. leave nothing behind. Leave no stone unturned. Prepare as hard as you can. You don't get a do over.
We do it because we are always young. Same reason the offense is always pretty simple and we always play man to man. Focus on doing what we do well and the rest will take care of itself. If not for poor execution down the stretch, we win that game and no one says anything about this.

So good job, AF Cat, SouthernINcat, Graves 51, joester5612, Jamal Mercer (disputed, I know), catsfan70, Mike's Marbles, KnowsAllTellsAll, and a few others, for basically tattooing "jackass" on your own foreheads.

MikesMarbles - one of the 3 geniuses who said that HOF, 22-4 in the NCAAT, 4 final fours in 6 years, owns Rick Pitino forever, John Calipari is a 1 for "terrible" - is a Louisville fan. I go to the uofl boards probably twice a year just to see what hijinx they're up to. Last time I was there, he was crying about Cal ruining the game and couldn't someone please do something about it? Not sure if it's the $725 million he's helped former players make, or that all of his one and dones at UK save one have finished their second semester classes contrary to the narrative, or the annual embarrassment of the coach who has sex on restaurant tables, but something was eating him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT