ADVERTISEMENT

How happy are you with Cal's Job?

How do you feel about Cal as coach?

• Total voters
The fact that this is even a poll is supremely depressing for a guy who took over an NIT team and in six years has reached the Elite Eight five times, the Final Four four times, the Final Game twice and won a Championship. I suspect we'll get votes from all the UL, UNC-CHeats, KU and Duke lurkers and trolls and the poll results will appear even more ludicrous than if restricted to the handful of Kentucky malcontents.

The correct answer is 5, and I fear some day some of you will find that out the hard way.

I'll even go one step further and say this poll needs a sixth choice that states the fans have no vote anymore. This is now Cal's program not ours. We lost our program over a 12 year period when two completely incompetent coaches let it waste away to nothing. Cal resurrected it in a manner we, nor anyone ever dreamt was possible. It is his program, he owns it. I and you are unworthy to critique his accomplishments. We should be so lucky to have him and to have him so appreciative of our praise.

Sarcasm isn't your strong suit, if that is what you are going for. If not, my apologies. Either way, the fact is fans DON'T have a vote, aside from choosing to stay home, and that didn't work even during the depths of BCG. I've been a fan since the Rupp era, and I promise you, Kentucky basketball isn't and never has been a Democratic Process. Fans can either be grateful when things are good, and acknowledge that, or constantly complain about something, even when things are good. To me, one choice is smarter and healthier. But obviously not all Cat fans agree.

Like you I am also an old fan, going back into the Rupp era. Even met him once (albeit only glad handing) and ran into him on campus two times. And IMO Cal is as good as Adolph, maybe, considering the situation Cal inherited and the era differences, even better. But the thing about your reply is that you are basically saying the same thing - but my comments were sarcasm?

I voted 4 but disagree that he always knows and does what is best for UK basketball. He has been good for UK basketball but no way I say he has been perfect for UK baskletball

I did the same. I LOVE the results, but don't always agree with the way he goes about things. Doesn't mean I don't love him as a coach, just means I don't agree with everything he does.

Reactions: .S&C.
Cal is the Nick Saban of college hoops. If the playoff had been around the last 10 years Saban might have just one title, too. Like Saban, Cal has built something deeper than a program that is way up one year and way down the next (see Duke and UConn). Cal gets criticized for the WVU, UConn and Wisconsin losses. Saban hears it about that Auburn game and the Ohio State game.

There is not another coach in the country that could even approach the overall job Calipari is doing.

5, although I don't necessarily agree with everything Cal does or says. That would be impossible, but I do support him 1,000,000,000,000% and hope he stays at UK for life

This is funny. Cal should have won every year, except the year he dropped the ball on recruiting. The NIT year. Let's get this straight. Cal has the same amount of titles as Tubby. I really think even Tubby would have won more titles than Cal in the past six years with the talent that was on the rosters. He needs to find his nuts soon. Cal has the same amount of titles as
Jud Heathcote

I bet you and your wife are overweight huh? Makes you angry in general and have a warped view of the world

In case anyone doesn't know how good things can get this is it. We are at the very tip top. Ten or twenty years from now you are talk about these years. If you did not answer 5, then please go back and relive a Gillispie season (turmoil, little to no hope of a Final Four, worried and just hoping to get one or two top 50 recruits).

The only thing UK fans should worry about right now is how we can get Cal to stay as coach FOREVER!

I think you took my "out of touch"comment the wrong way. I was referring to those that voted 1-3, not the 4 or 5 voters. I thought about doing a1-10 poll but decided not to because there really isn't a need. Cal has done more than an amazing job and really if you are wanting to be that precise on you're grade then you are being too picking and that kinda shows where you belong on this poll. And if you are being critical about the type of poll I chose I can only imagine what you have top day about Cal.

Feel free to start your own poll of 1-10

You label "BBN" as 4 voters (who I already proved aren't UK fans) who voted below 4. Where is the problem you were speaking of? There isn't one. UK fans all voted happy, and to retain. So again, there's zero problems with how UK fans feel toward cal.

I think you started this poll with the intention of labeling and it happens quite often. Otherwise why would you go out of your way to label BBN by the votes of 4 people? Sounds like a pumpers agenda.

I did the same. I LOVE the results, but don't always agree with the way he goes about things. Doesn't mean I don't love him as a coach, just means I don't agree with everything he does.

Exactly. And it's also the smarter choice in my opinion. No one is above reproach. No one.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Btw, nearly every single vote that is below 4 is done by guys like

KnowsAllTellsAll
Ramhard
Graves51
Cali-Hawk
IamaVOLSfan
Etc....

ALL NOT UK FANS, but thanks to the op, they represent "BBN" now!!!

Excellent!

5, although I don't necessarily agree with everything Cal does or says. That would be impossible, but I do support him 1,000,000,000,000% and hope he stays at UK for life

So you're actually a 4. Poll questions. Lol.

Another satisfied customer pleased with a losing effort.
So you're saying that a coach needs to have more tourney success than Cal to please you, in which case, the only coach who even possibly could is Coach K?

Even then, he's had embarrassing upsets in 2 15 and 3 14 games recently, and his rosters feature just as many AAs as Cal's - so he shouldn't qualify either.

I have a feeling, though, that assuming this consistent standard of you is asking too much.

Either you're a miserable SOB no matter who is your coach because your standards are so high, or you'd be happier with a different coach even though he'd be less successful, which means that this talk about having certain standards of success is just a cover up for your personal agenda against Cal.

Just be a man and phrase it that way, then, because nobody who isn't a basketball idiot would be displeased with his on the court results.

If you voted a 3 or below, you're either a rival fan, a basketball idiot, or you just don't like Cal personally. I'm all for identifying these posters as one or the other so we can know not to waste our time. Just wear the badge proudly, fellas.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Anyone unhappy with Cal and his results, is either not really a UK fan or just so stupid, we wish you weren't!

Calipari wins a lot of games, has more than succeeded at his #1 stated goal of producing NBA draft picks but he's struggled in big games with a lot on the line, see WVU, see UConn, see Wisconsin. Don't understand how anyone can deny that. Maybe as we move forward that'll change. And BTW, I go a lot further back with UK basketball than the vast majority on this site.

Calipari wins a lot of games, has more than succeeded at his #1 stated goal of producing NBA draft picks but he's struggled in big games with a lot on the line, see WVU, see UConn, see Wisconsin. Don't understand how anyone can deny that. Maybe as we move forward that'll change. And BTW, I go a lot further back with UK basketball than the vast majority on this site.
Are you saying that you admire all of the other coaches - who are vastly more likely to lose in first weekend or the sweet 16 instead of the final four?

Not sure how having a championship and the most tourney wins in 6 years is a sign of someone who struggles more than average with games with a lot on the line.

Struggled in big games? Then I guess all the other coaches struggle too. Only Coach k has won more than one NC since Cal has been at UK. i guess he stuggled all the other years too?

The wvu game was lost because we couldn't make a shot. And they, a poor 3 point shooting team, hit the shots. How did Cal struggle to make that happen?

uconn was just a bad matchup at guard for us. Losing WCS to injury might have hurt us a bit too, ya think?

Wisconsin had been waiting all year for a rematch against us. Losing Poy to injury really showed up in that game. plus 3 straight brain farts by our PG cost us any chance to win that game.

To say Cal struggles in big games is just.... STUPID!

Cal could win a championship every single year and some of you would bitch about something..

I agree. The 6 people who want him gone have to be either Louisville or Kansas fans. They're tired of getting their asses kicked. If they were actually UK fans, they must be retarded.

Reactions: Supafuzz75
Struggled in big games? Then I guess all the other coaches struggle too. Only Coach k has won more than one NC since Cal has been at UK. i guess he stuggled all the other years too?

The wvu game was lost because we couldn't make a shot. And they, a poor 3 point shooting team, hit the shots. How did Cal struggle to make that happen?

uconn was just a bad matchup at guard for us. Losing WCS to injury might have hurt us a bit too, ya think?

Wisconsin had been waiting all year for a rematch against us. Losing Poy to injury really showed up in that game. plus 3 straight brain farts by our PG cost us any chance to win that game.

To say Cal struggles in big games is just.... STUPID!

Well that certainly explains it.

As for other coaches, so what?

It's very true. Cal has not been the greatest coach at winning the biggest games every year. The counter that is made to that, and it's also correct, is no one is doing anything better. Cal is probably on par or better than any coach in America right now. I understand where some have an issue taking a stance against his positions. They look to results.

I like filling the NBA with UK personnel. I like the perception that is UK basketball right now. I like what he's done here, and hope it continues. I'll also be excited when we return to a more traditional way. I'd love to see 3 Kentucky born and raised kids play for the same team and make a final four or go deep. People mock this position, but they too would feel an enormous amount of pride watching players that are about UK first and foremost. But let's not kid ourselves here, it's nearly impossible, and Cals results might not be around every year.

I think Cal just took the stance that he can't change the culture of America right now, and America has entered a "me me and mine" phase. He's just going with it, as opposed to rocking the boat. I've sort of relaxed on it due to the fact that we are winning a ton and it won't be around forever. Even a guy like Coach K has adapted to the "me me" generation, he just recruits more guys to hang around to counter it. That is my main gripe with Cal.

That's some of my position on it anyway.

And you know this, how?
best guess from watching Wisconsin game this year and UConn game last year. Not a good bench coach and he has been coaching 30 years with #1 teams before he came here. What supports you thinking he will.

I agree. The 6 people who want him gone have to be either Louisville or Kansas fans. They're tired of getting their asses kicked. If they were actually UK fans, they must be retarded.
catsfan70 is definitely a UL fan. Pretty sure joester is a UL fan posing as a UK fan. Looks like the rest are KU, UNC and UT fans.

Btw, nearly every single vote that is below 4 is done by guys like

KnowsAllTellsAll
Ramhard
Graves51
Cali-Hawk
IamaVOLSfan
Etc....

ALL NOT UK FANS, but thanks to the op, they represent "BBN" now!!!

Excellent!

Um, sorry I never said "they" specifically represent BBN. The poll was only suppose to be for us, if they joined it and skewed the results you have to use common sense to figure out that I'm not lumping them in with us. Not that difficult to understand.

Um, sorry I never said "they" specifically represent BBN. The poll was only suppose to be for us, if they joined it and skewed the results you have to use common sense to figure out that I'm not lumping them in with us. Not that difficult to understand.

It's no biggie man. But you made some pretty definitive statements if you just read back you'll see them. Your poll showed nearly every single UK voter supports Calipari. excellent.

It's no biggie man. But you made some pretty definitive statements if you just read back you'll see them. Your poll showed nearly every single UK voter supports Calipari. excellent.

We'll my statements were only referring to UK fans. I took it as common knowledge that non UK fans wouldn't want Cal here. I figured everyone would understand that and I didn't need to explain it. However I know that we have a segment of our fan base that isn't happy with anything and my original reason for conducting this survey was not to call out trolls from other schools that lurk here but to see what our fans would say, even those that aren't pleased with anything. Maybe I didn't clearly explain that in later posts.

best guess from watching Wisconsin game this year and UConn game last year. Not a good bench coach and he has been coaching 30 years with #1 teams before he came here. What supports you thinking he will.

Lol u so butthurt

All you idiots saying 2,3 blah blah blah. STFU

Even if he has "failed" to win the title the years he should have he still has been to the FF 4 out of the last 5 years which is literally the most successful coach of the past 5 years sans maybe Coach K

I swear some of yall must be #Downs

...,and this is why Dick Vitale and others ridicule our fans nationally. 4 Final Fours, 1 championship, 1 runner up and recruiting great kids that succeed and represent BBN with style and class and people are choosing number 4 or lower! Really? Frickin idiots!
Cal can coach in a freaking tutu with a wand in his hand if he keeps us in the race every year and our kids are not getting arrested, drunk, accused, etc... No our players ate at children's hospitals and befriending kids with cancer!

...,and this is why Dick Vitale and others ridicule our fans nationally. 4 Final Fours, 1 championship, 1 runner up and recruiting great kids that succeed and represent BBN with style and class and people are choosing number 4 or lower! Really? Frickin idiots!
Cal can coach in a freaking tutu with a wand in his hand if he keeps us in the race every year and our kids are not getting arrested, drunk, accused, etc... No our players ate at children's hospitals and befriending kids with cancer!

Agree with this 100%

Whether Cal is a great coach or not to some of you, it's will always be a tougher job to coach in big games with the youth that we depend on. I bet Bo didn't have to worry about micro managing his group down the stretch because of older players. In the end I like it the way it is, get the best players and see if they can get it together by March.

....but he's struggled in big games with a lot on the line, see WVU, see UConn, see Wisconsin...

It's very true. Cal has not been the greatest coach at winning the biggest games every year...

You guys are starting from a bad premise. The only way you can say he struggles in big games is if you define big games to mean the ones we lose. Take 2011. We lose to UConn in the final four. Does that mean he struggled in big games that year? Only if Ohio State, a 1 seed, and UNC, the 2 seed, don't count. Same in 2014, again lose to UConn in the title game. So Cal struggled in the big game - assuming beating undefeated WSU (1 seed), UofL (4), Michigan (2) and Wisconsin (2) don't count as big games. He's 22-4 in the NCAA and every one of those 22 were big games. You know how I know that? Cause I know what the reaction would have been had he lost any of them! And that's not even getting into his record in the regular season vs UofL, Florida, UNC, etc.

So, if you vote 4, you're an idiot?

Sorry, but anyone who votes anything OTHER than 5* is out of their minds. I know he says stuff that might irritate some people, but I strongly feel all his comments are made for the betterment of the program and not the detriment. The man has won almost 200 games in just six seasons. He has coached us to 4 Final Fours and two National Championship games and coached us to our 8th title. He has had 19 NBA 1st rounders, three #1 picks which is an NBA record, 13 lottery picks, and 24 players drafted overall. Not to mention that he has coached us to 2 perfect SEC regular seasons, coached us to only our second ever perfect SEC season overall (including tournament championship), 3 SEC regular season championships, 3 SEC tournament championships. Has gone 7-1 vs. Pitino and Louisville, including beating them twice in the NCAA tournament. Has gone 4-2 vs. UNC, 3-0 vs. Kansas (including the 32 point pummeling they took last season), 11-5 vs. Florida, 9-2 vs. Tennessee among others. He's coached us to two AP #1 finishes, as well as being ranked #1 for 68 games of the 228 games he's coached at UK (having the #1 ranked team in America for a staggering 30% of his games at UK).

As far as I am concerned, as long as he keeps doing what he's doing, he can say whatever he wants.

Reactions: TommyDevito
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT