How happy are you with Cal's Job?

How do you feel about Cal as coach?

• Total voters

Sithlyone

Junior
Apr 12, 2012
Danville
www.jw.org
After the Tournament there has been a lot of turmoil in BBN or at least on this board. I've read a lot of negative comments regarding something that Cal has either said or done. I am a bit confused about this and wanted to know how the majority of fans felt (at least on this board). My guess is that most fans are happy with Cal and want him here for the long haul, but are just disappointed at the results of the Wisconsin game and the recent recruiting snubs.

So How happy are you with Cal's job? Me, I'm ecstatic.

I have zero complaints , final fours went from occasionally to regularly . We've already won a title in what was a substantial rebuilding effort , for most coaches we would be calling for patience and to give him four years to get his guys in here . A small minority complain about not having more titles after six years , while not giving credit for being in position to win it almost every year .

Reactions: awf and Uk1111
I've always said the two main things I want a UK coach to do are keep us relevant and put us in a position to compete for a title on a regular basis. Cal has by far and away done those things. Sure I wish we turned some of the FF trips into championships, but that's just sports.

It wasn't that long ago we were on a decade plus FF drought and could not land any of the top players. Big turn around in Cals 6 years.

Reactions: awf and Rush2112 UK
Combo of 4 and 5.

I think 4 FF's, a runner-up and a national title in 6 years is remarkably outstanding. Do I wish he did some things different with his x's and o's? Sure. Do I wish he said some different things sometimes? Sure.

But Cal does what works for him and the program he has built. And it's hard to argue against the results described above. No other coach at UK has ever done what he has done in their first 6 years. Not even sure if any coach has ever had those kinds of results in their first 6 years at a school. But I'm lazy...I'll let someone else look that up.

[thumb2]:cool2: Appreciate all that Calipari has accomplished at UK....he has fulfilled the goals he set at his first news conference and continues to keep UK on the cutting edge of College bb. There are coaching issues and in game decisions that I have questioned but, the overall body of work has been outstanding.

In 6 years, we've been in the hunt for 3 titles and almost 'lucked' into 2 more. If a few balls drop different ways, we're already building a statue to him and renaming the arena. Recruiting snubs? We've got a great team and the #1 class. again. How much more #1 can you be?

Combo of 4 and 5.

I think 4 FF's, a runner-up and a national title in 6 years is remarkably outstanding. Do I wish he did some things different with his x's and o's? Sure. Do I wish he said some different things sometimes? Sure.

But Cal does what works for him and the program he has built. And it's hard to argue against the results described above. No other coach at UK has ever done what he has done in their first 6 years. Not even sure if any coach has ever had those kinds of results in their first 6 years at a school. But I'm lazy...I'll let someone else look that up.

I'd say no way. 4 Final Fours in the first 6 years? I'd say Roy had 3 his first 6 at UNC...winning 2 titles, but strictly Final Fours I can't think of anyone. Pitino went for 3/6 years at UK when he was eligible to do it...which was impressive as well. I don't think its fair to count the first two years against him, but to be fair...he was able to build his team some those years so maybe you have to in this discussion.

The fact that this is even a poll is supremely depressing for a guy who took over an NIT team and in six years has reached the Elite Eight five times, the Final Four four times, the Final Game twice and won a Championship. I suspect we'll get votes from all the UL, UNC-CHeats, KU and Duke lurkers and trolls and the poll results will appear even more ludicrous than if restricted to the handful of Kentucky malcontents.

The correct answer is 5, and I fear some day some of you will find that out the hard way.

4. Only reason it isn't a 5 is he needs to be more conscious of the way his comments reflect on the program and not just on the recruits. Cal needs to show that he cares about his legacy here at UK and work more on building it because he can be the greatest coach of all time here and be looked up to and affect way more people than he does even by his coveted draft. I hope he understands and even more importantly, embraces what he means to this state.

4. Only reason it isn't a 5 is he needs to be more conscious of the way his comments reflect on the program and not just on the recruits. Cal needs to show that he cares about his legacy here at UK and work more on building it because he can be the greatest coach of all time here and be looked up to and affect way more people than he does even by his coveted draft. I hope he understands and even more importantly, embraces what he means to this state.

the same people from the same state that want to tar and feather him for not playing a zone or pressing....please

cal should care about people...not legacies. people matter more.

Reactions: brianpoe
Work more on building his legacy? Is there a better way to do that than winning 31.7 games a year and hanging 4 banners in 6 seasons?

Get an X-ray of your head. I suspect something is missing.

I love Cal, but no one is ever unseating Rupp at the head of the GOAT table in UK coaching. Cal and Pitino both could have won more than 1 title during their time at UK (and Cal may/will I hope), but 4 titles is never going to be beat/equaled IMO.

Any answer but 5 is absurd and embarrassing.

You don't have to love every single thing that comes out of your coaches mouth or love every single decision he makes to be a loyal fan if that coach. Number 4 is what I chose and I consider myself a huge Calipari fan and have always trusted in his decisions and the way he runs our program. That doesn't mean that I have agreed with every single thing he has ever said or move he made on the court. There is nothing wrong with choosing #4 on this list. Nothing at all.

You guys that wanna blast people for questioning Cal or suggesting things need to check yourself at the door!!!!!! CAL COACH K Rick arent the only ones that know basketball..
others can have opinions and insights and guess what...they arent always wrong...just because your profession isnt a coach doesnt mean you cant have insight that can help

Combo of 4 and 5.

This^__^
He's the best coach for uk hands down, but I will not hesitate to question him on some things that he says or does....

You guys that wanna blast people for questioning Cal or suggesting things need to check yourself at the door!!!!!! CAL COACH K Rick arent the only ones that know basketball..
others can have opinions and insights and guess what...they arent always wrong...just because your profession isnt a coach doesnt mean you cant have insight that can help
So, if I am reading your post correctly, you are saying that your opinion should be considered with significant weight along side that of John Calipari, Michael K. and Rick Pitino.

LOL. This board is never less than entertaining.

Compared to his predecessors.....how can you not 5 him. I would give him 5 if he followed the Baron.

Reactions: blubo
I voted 5. These past six years have been incredible.

I don't agree with every single solitary thing he's said or done either- but if that was the case, which coach would deserve a 5? I can tell you this, it wouldn't be Wooden, Rupp, Iba, K, Brad Stevens, or even Claire friggin' Bee.

I don't mind so much when people complain and criticize here and there, but sometimes it just goes so far overboard. I mean, the night we won the 2012 title, there were people on here fussing away. I just get sick of it.

I love Cal, but no one is ever unseating Rupp at the head of the GOAT table in UK coaching. Cal and Pitino both could have won more than 1 title during their time at UK (and Cal may/will I hope), but 4 titles is never going to be beat/equaled IMO.

Cal should and will

Someone not a UK fan asked me this....." What bothers you more , missing out on a championship against uconn in 2014 after a great run, losing against Wisconsin in final four afte a great run. Losing to WV after the turnaround in one season.Or the ten plus years of UK losing its luster and not getting to a final four before all that.

I had to think for a minute. The Wisconsin game sucked especially going for history. If it was like the year before when we slid for a good part of the season then pulled it together in the tourney it wouldn't hurt so bad. But looking back. I have never followed recruiting and everything UK like I do now especially as a grown middle aged adult. My 20s sucked because we were only in the thick of things for a couple years. Some of the players we we getting and playing were not my cup of tea. cal has changed all that. It's exciting even the off season now.

On a scale between 1-10. I give Cal a 1,000,000. Great to be in this position than what we had with Tubby each year out.

Yes ...sometimes coaches are so arrogant and stubborn they think thete way is the only way...not necessarily true...you think a day goes by that Pitino doesnt regret Laetner....your nuts if you dont

laughable position.

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
I can't wIt to watch UK play every game. Much more anticipation than ever before. That says it all to me

We're looking a lot like the UNC that I made fun for wasting a ton of talent with not many NCs to show for it. 1 National Championship out of 4 FF is barely the mathematical average and we've been the best team in the tournament left every year we've exited at the hands of lesser teams while we've had an unprecedented amount of NBA talent.

I don't think that is above questioning. We also used to be the only program with an above .700 winning percentage in the regular season, conference tournament, conference championship, NCAA tournament, NCAA Final Four, and NCAA championship game. We no longer are performing at that level.

Not criticizing... but those are definitely points to consider.

We're looking a lot like the UNC that I made fun for wasting a ton of talent with not many NCs to show for it. 1 National Championship out of 4 FF is barely the mathematical average and we've been the best team in the tournament left every year we've exited at the hands of lesser teams while we've had an unprecedented amount of NBA talent.

I don't think that is above questioning. We also used to be the only program with an above .700 winning percentage in the regular season, conference tournament, conference championship, NCAA tournament, NCAA Final Four, and NCAA championship game. We no longer are performing at that level.

you looking like an ass for running your mouth shouldnt be a driving force to criticize Cal and question the program.

How many coaches right now can say they have the same as Cal has at UK in the same time frame. Maybe one or two ?

ADVERTISEMENT