ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas just bought a 1980 Ford Pinto with a new paint job and spinner rims...

struggler

Sophomore
Jan 23, 2013
Look - I get SOME of the concern over Pope - not my first choice - but I am 100% in support and happy the used car salesman is gone.

Cal was flash, bluster, name dropping, NBA/agent connections, marketing even sometimes excitement. He was also arrogant, stubborn, failing/in denial, limited in coaching ability (so limited in thought needs to take is staff with him vs build something new), resentful of the fans, could not take accountability or criticism, an empty suit... a VERY toxic guy who left a VERY toxic situation of his making. Thus the shiny paint job and flashy accessories yet still at the heart a used Ford Pinto.

I am still learning about Pope as a coach - watched his BYU teams play from time to time, and honestly was always impressed. He CAN coach and knows basketball. For the Pitino fans - he is from that vein of play. He will not be flashy - but I imagine he will be steady, more straight-forward and actually out-coach others in some games VS being made the punk for the UNC-W's and Oakland's of basketball. He will work to win for UK.

Honestly - who had Danny Hurley on their bingo card 3 years ago? Likely no one as his results were very avg. (look at his record). Last two seasons - sure and maybe it took him that long to figure it out and kudos to his success.

Point is - let's please don't fall for thinking another flashy name = success. Pope is going to do well. Maybe without the flashy names, the 5 stars top to bottom... but there is a lot to be said for a well coached, non-toxic, players who SHOULD play DO play, BBN supported team. I am in until proven otherwise. BBN bigger than any coach or personality - let's let it show.

Last edited:
img_5495_0.jpg

I thought we'd get Hurley and I was frankly dreading it. Not because I thought he couldn't win but he just seemed like a bad fit culturally. Just seemed he was whiney, tried to get fans ejected, don't think he would have taken criticism in stride nor gotten along with boosters who wanted to be schmoozed. I think he would have looked down at UK fans more than JVC did.

Look - I get SOME of the concern over Pope - not my first choice - but I am 100% in support and happy the used car salesman is gone.

Cal was flash, bluster, name dropping, NBA/agent connections, marketing even sometimes excitement. He was also arrogant, stubborn, failing/in denial, limited in coaching ability (so limited in thought needs to take is staff with him vs build something new), resentful of the fans, could not take accountability or criticism, an empty suit... a VERY toxic guy who left a VERY toxic situation of his making. Thus the shiny paint job and flashy accessories yet still at the heart a used Ford Pinto.

I am still learning about Pope as a coach - watched his BYU teams play from time to time, and honestly was always impressed. He CAN coach and knows basketball. For the Pitino fans - he is from that vein of play. He will not be flashy - but I imagine he will be steady, more straight-forward and actually out-coach others in some games VS being make the punk for the UNC-W's and Oakland's of basketball. He will work to win for UK.

Honestly - who had Danny Hurley on their bingo card 3 years ago? Likely no one as his results were very avg. (look at his record). Last two seasons - sure and maybe it took him that long to figure it out and kudos to his success.

Point is - let's please don't fall for thinking another flashy name = success. Pope is going to do well. Maybe without the flashy names, the 5 stars top to bottom... but there is a lot to be said for a well coached, non-toxic, players who SHOULD play DO play, BBN supported team. I am in until proven otherwise. BBN bigger than any coach or personality - let's let it show.
My first car was a Ford Pinto, I hated that car

Reactions: struggler
Being in the news is important even if for the wrong reason, Arkansas and it’s boosters wanted for the team to be in the news cycle again and Calipari can provide that, if he can deliver big names recruits ( high possibility) Arkansas becomes a sexy name in college basketball.

Winning could be more complicated with Cal as a head coach but that is not oerhaps as important in Fayetteville like it is in Lexington .

Y’all gonna be coping for the next 5 years. Who gives a shit about Arkansas and their coach. You wanted him gone and he’s gone.

Y’all gonna be coping for the next 5 years. Who gives a shit about Arkansas and their coach. You wanted him gone and he’s gone.

You realize this is not only a Kentucky basketball board, but a college basketball board. Yes, you’re going to see a variety of post, not all of them about Kentucky.

Being in the news is important even if for the wrong reason, Arkansas and it’s boosters wanted for the team to be in the news cycle again and Calipari can provide that, if he can deliver big names recruits ( high possibility) Arkansas becomes a sexy name in college basketball.

Winning could be more complicated with Cal as a head coach but that is not oerhaps as important in Fayetteville like it is in Lexington .
We fell for it! He’s gone & it’s time to move on.

I think Arkansas actually got a mid 90s Corvette. Once was badass, but still thinks it’s the top notch, but doesn’t realize it can’t keep up with the newer Vettes.
And the only sound the engine makes sounds like the word, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Reactions: jrm693
lucky you are alive.
First car wreck I was ever in, I popped over a hill on a rainy morning doing about 65 or so, saw a pinto stopped in the road w/ their left blinker on, waiting for traffic to clear. I locked it up, slid about 100 feet or so and hit the pinto squarely in the ass-end. My car stopped and the pinto shot forward; looked like a cue ball hitting the 8 ball into the side pocket...I was thankful it didn't explode

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT