ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Take: Reed should transfer or declare

Just an opinion , might be wrong , but I dont think Sheperds game in a good fit for the pro game .. who the hell he gonna guard in that league ? Maybe they dont care about D , I dont watch that circus show , ... but hopefully he makes a ton of NIL $$ and sticks around to play for a new coach . But I'm not picking him in the 1st round if I'm a NBA GM . Great college player , but gotta mature and learn how to hide his weaknesses .
Has Cal been fired? Who are they considering for the new coach?

First, let me say I love Reed Shepherd. His father was one of my favorite Cats.
But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.

You have questionable intelligence! Amazing how many guards succeed in the NBA from Cal...one was a 4-star. I don't remember anyone thinking Reed was NBA material...ANYONE! He's a freaking lottery discussion now.

NIL....he makes a lot now & it's going to be even more.

First, let me say I love Reed Shepherd. His father was one of my favorite Cats.
But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.
He might go pro, but it won't be for your stupid reasons. His parents, who aren't trolls or spoiled children, know more about Kentucky basketball, and basketball in general than you'll ever know. If all the things you nothings kick and scream about in your collective tantrum were true, they'd have known it long before you. That they didn't push their son elsewhere is testimony to just how stupid everything you clowns stand for is.

Last edited:
I think Sheppard can become a solid pro. But NBA is very different than college. There have been lots of examples of great college play who couldn’t make it (even as a backup) in the NBA, and mediocre college players who became very good pros. Billy McCaffrey was an absolute stud at Vandy (so good Mashburn had to share SEC-POY with him), could shoot it like Reed and pass it, but I don’t even think got a taste of NBA. That’s not saying Reed won’t , just making the point college is different than pro.
But to be a good NBA player, Reed needs to get stronger and quicker. Yes he can get drafted now, very likely as a lottery pick, but his goal should not be to be drafted, it should be to have a long and successful career in the NBA. Too many guys go too soon, slowing their progress, because the pros be like contribute or sit. So developing one more year, especially his body, can only increase his chances of a rapid advancement in the NBA. And you would prefer to do that so that you are peaking at a level after 3rd year to maximize that 2nd contract, that is the one that “sets you for life”.

Also Reeds parents got that full college 4-5 year experience, and a degree. And I bet they want him to get more of that than just 1 year can give. Let him “be a kid”, enjoy “the college experience”, and not have to rush to “be an adult”!!! Once he leaves, there’s no going back.

He (and Wagner) do not come from homes where they are expected to break the string of generational poverty, don’t have that burden on their shoulders. Not obligated to make $ quickly for their parents.

So while I don’t think it’s a lock, or even a strong chance he returns, I do think it is a reasonable chance (say 30-70%) that he returns.
But I do completely expect him to test the waters, it only makes sense to do that, to find out what teams think you need to work on. I also expect RR to explode when he does test.

As for the OP who suggested he transfer, that is utterly idiotic. And I’m sure DJ’s dad, Rose, Wall, Bledsoe, Wagner, Booker, Ulis, SGA, Fox, Monk, Murray, Maxey, Quickley, Wallace would all agree.
And don’t cry “but Cal won’t start him”. So F’ing what! He is playing 33-35 mpg the past 1-2 months, that’s the max you want even your star players playing. And most importantly he is always finishing games.

He gone. Cal has done a GREAT job developing and showcasing him. How much higher can he go? First rounders should go to the NBA. I'm not sure any other coach could have helped him more. He should declare for the draft and thank Cal.

Reactions: thedahc
He gone. Cal has done a GREAT job developing and showcasing him. How much higher can he go? First rounders should go to the NBA. I'm not sure any other coach could have helped him more. He should declare for the draft and thank Cal.
Cal has done nothing to develop him or showcase him, but I agree with the rest of what you said.

I love my little Johnson. But it's not going to get any better in the performance category unless I cut it off and send it to a French bordello where they might really know how to use it.

Cal has done nothing to develop him or showcase him, but I agree with the rest of what you said.
Kentucky may showcase him. What Cal has done I guess is questionable. His stock has increased alot. Who gets credit for that, I'm not sure. I think that Cals strong point.

Reed would never transfer - he is already a UK legend. Also you do realize for any of Cal's faults he has prepared kids for the NBA better than any coach in the country - no real debate there.

He plays 33-35 mpg the past 2 months. How is he not showcasing him?
Oh, he's not running plays for him. If you have to have plays run for you, then to me that is a negative. Can you create your own shot, can you make your teammates better, that is how you impress.

Imagine thinking the guy having a guy on most teams, and several all stars more than anyone isn't going to prepare you for the NBA. I'd argue that Cal is too worried about the NBA sometimes to the detriment of the program. But I will take a hit or 2 of whatever u got going on over there though OP

He might go pro, but it won't be for your stupid reasons. His parents, who aren't trolls or spoiled children, know more about Kentucky basketball, and basketball in general than you'll ever know. If all the things you nothings kick and scream about in your collective tantrum we're true, they'd have known it long before you. That they didn't push their son elsewhere is testimony to just how stupid everything you clowns stand for is.
Reed's game has shone through despite being held back by Calipari and he will almost certainly declare for the NBA after this season. So, looks like my point of Calipari not helping Reed any further was in fact, correct.
As far as Calipari having anything to do with making guys like AD, Booker or Bam all-stars...that's laughably absurd.
As are you.

Reed's game has shone through despite being held back by Calipari and he will almost certainly declare for the NBA after this season. So, looks like my point of Calipari not helping Reed any further was in fact, correct.
As far as Calipari having anything to do with making guys like AD, Booker or Bam all-stars...that's laughably absurd.
As are you.
How is he being held back?

You have questionable intelligence! Amazing how many guards succeed in the NBA from Cal...one was a 4-star. I don't remember anyone thinking Reed was NBA material...ANYONE! He's a freaking lottery discussion now.

Reed came to UK for exposure and yes, NIL opportunities. Not just to be coached by Calipari.
Most, if not all of those guards were highly ranked out of high school. Many were McD's AA's. You think only John Calipari could have gotten them to the NBA???
Why didn't Devin Booker perform here like he has in the NBA? You think Calipari made him a All-Star?
Some of you are really guzzling the Koolaid.

You need to leave. One of the most negative posters on this message board
You need to look up the definition of "messageboard".
And how is Reed doing what is best for his career a negative?
I support the program. Why are you here?

Mr Grace shows up to start insulting people .

Grace anytime someone criticizes John Calipari
giphy.gif

If Cal has proven anything since he has been at UK It’s that he can prepare guys for the NBA. Why would he leave Kentucky? He could run for Governor tomorrow and win. This take is nonsense.

Reactions: goten170
I think Sheppard can become a solid pro. But NBA is very different than college. There have been lots of examples of great college play who couldn’t make it (even as a backup) in the NBA, and mediocre college players who became very good pros. Billy McCaffrey was an absolute stud at Vandy (so good Mashburn had to share SEC-POY with him), could shoot it like Reed and pass it, but I don’t even think got a taste of NBA. That’s not saying Reed won’t , just making the point college is different than pro.
But to be a good NBA player, Reed needs to get stronger and quicker. Yes he can get drafted now, very likely as a lottery pick, but his goal should not be to be drafted, it should be to have a long and successful career in the NBA. Too many guys go too soon, slowing their progress, because the pros be like contribute or sit. So developing one more year, especially his body, can only increase his chances of a rapid advancement in the NBA. And you would prefer to do that so that you are peaking at a level after 3rd year to maximize that 2nd contract, that is the one that “sets you for life”.

Also Reeds parents got that full college 4-5 year experience, and a degree. And I bet they want him to get more of that than just 1 year can give. Let him “be a kid”, enjoy “the college experience”, and not have to rush to “be an adult”!!! Once he leaves, there’s no going back.

He (and Wagner) do not come from homes where they are expected to break the string of generational poverty, don’t have that burden on their shoulders. Not obligated to make $ quickly for their parents.

So while I don’t think it’s a lock, or even a strong chance he returns, I do think it is a reasonable chance (say 30-70%) that he returns.
But I do completely expect him to test the waters, it only makes sense to do that, to find out what teams think you need to work on. I also expect RR to explode when he does test.

As for the OP who suggested he transfer, that is utterly idiotic. And I’m sure DJ’s dad, Rose, Wall, Bledsoe, Wagner, Booker, Ulis, SGA, Fox, Monk, Murray, Maxey, Quickley, Wallace would all agree.
And don’t cry “but Cal won’t start him”. So F’ing what! He is playing 33-35 mpg the past 1-2 months, that’s the max you want even your star players playing. And most importantly he is always finishing games.
Great post. Of course, for sentimental (and selfish!) reasons, I hope Reed comes back. I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if he comes back and plays for a different coach. We all know that Cal is a good recruiter, but not so much a good x's and o's coach. What would happen if we got a great x's and o's coach and Reed stays? Would he improve in areas he needs to like defense? Who knows. I would appreciate your opinions on this since most of you know way more than I do.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

I want Cal gone more than any one. But we have the most irrational take on what we expect Reed to do because of his dad lmao. The dude is a one and done. That was apparent in November. Every fan expecting him to return after we had the chance to see how special he is either irrational or lying to themselves. It would be a mistake for Reed to return, and the love of his school / his family excuses won’t change the decision.

Now this thread might have the most preposterous idea regarding Reed I’ve ever seen. You really think it’d be better for his career in basketball to enter the transfer portal. LMAO!!! How dumb of an idea can you get? Cal is good at one thing, putting kids in the league. Secondly, Reed be unlikely to make as much NIL anywhere other than Lexington.

Calm down cats fans. Cal sucks, but let’s start thinking like the smartest fan base in college basketball again SMH!

I've never contributed to NIL but I'd give at least a couple paychecks to have Reed Sheppard back here as a sophomore.

Reactions: Fox2monk

No amount of NIL is beating a lottery contract. No to mention he can do all kinda commercials, apparel deals, signings, etc. on top of that.

As are you.
How exactly has Reed been “held back”. He’s been playing 33-34 mpg the past 7 weeks.

I don’t think any college coach (including Cal) “makes players NBA all-stars. Simply not coaching them long enough, especially if just 1 year. But I think it is possible for a college coach to help their rise be a little quicker or slightly higher by helping to instill a work ethic and mentality to keep getting better. And while it may be hard for us to understand, the results are impressive.

How exactly has Reed been “held back”. He’s been playing 33-34 mpg the past 7 weeks.

I don’t think any college coach (including Cal) “makes players NBA all-stars. Simply not coaching them long enough, especially if just 1 year. But I think it is possible for a college coach to help their rise be a little quicker or slightly higher by helping to instill a work ethic and mentality to keep getting better. And while it may be hard for us to understand, the results are impressive.
I think Reed's play and talent have forced Calipari to give him more and more minutes. The team obviously performs better when he is in the lineup. For a team that plays marginal defense at best, Reed's ability to pressure ball-handlers and create steals makes it absolutely necessary for him to get minutes. Having said that, I'll note that he still isn't starting.

The argument that Calipari gets guys to the NBA faster or elevates their draft status is where the fiction comes in. The level of players Calipari recruits virtually ensures that they are already high on NBA scout's boards when they first step foot on campus. I would argue that simply competing with other highly rated players everyday in practice and in games may be worth more than anything.

I think Reed's play and talent have forced Calipari to give him more and more minutes. The team obviously performs better when he is in the lineup. For a team that plays marginal defense at best, Reed's ability to pressure ball-handlers and create steals makes it absolutely necessary for him to get minutes. Having said that, I'll note that he still isn't starting.

The argument that Calipari gets guys to the NBA faster or elevates their draft status is where the fiction comes in. The level of players Calipari recruits virtually ensures that they are already high on NBA scout's boards when they first step foot on campus. I would argue that simply competing with other highly rated players everyday in practice and in games may be worth more than anything.
You did not answer my question. How has Cal "held Reed back"? I'd love to hear this!

You did not answer because you know your statement is incorrect.

You did not answer my question. How has Cal "held Reed back"? I'd love to hear this!

You did not answer because you know your statement is incorrect.
I did answer it. I said Reed's talent forced Calipari to give him more minutes. The minutes he should have been getting from game #1. Also, Reed still isn't a starter even though the whole world knows he should be. Having him in from the start might fix the slow starts that find us down by 8-10 points right off the bat.

I did answer it. I said Reed's talent forced Calipari to give him more minutes. The minutes he should have been getting from game #1. Also, Reed still isn't a starter even though the whole world knows he should be. Having him in from the start might fix the slow starts that find us down by 8-10 points right off the bat.

I don’t think the issue is Reed starting or not at this point. He’s started like 4 or 5 games and we’ve struggled in those too.

The common denominator seems to be Edward’s. Edward’s has started all but one game and he didn’t play that game at all. That was the Florida home game that we also lost.

It’s really been a different guy just about every game in the losses. Tre Mitchell and Z were both awful in the florida game. But Z only played 6 minutes. Tre played 38! and was 2-10 and 0-5 from 3.

That is a BS narrative. Do you know the number of times UK has been down 6 or more at the first TV timeout? It’s a grand total of 5 times. So all this “Reed needs to start so we aren’t down 8-10 points off the bat” is a complete fallacy. Find a new narrative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT