ADVERTISEMENT

Reed is proof CCC

Dec 19, 2022
Edit: I had a lot of disagreement with the original post. So is everyone still good with Reed only taking 1 shot at LSU? Did he pass up open 3s? I didn't think so. You know Reed is superior to Steve Alford at IU but Knight's offense was designed to get his shooters open and he recruited great shooters. Alford hung a banner along with great stats from 3. Cal doesn't do that and never has. Anyone who has every coached would have Reed getting good looks. You have to know your strengths and take advantage of them. Do you know Reed should and could score 20+ points a game? Sorry folks but this on Cal. Reed gets a minimum of 6 shots from 3 a game last night they win. I believe that can apply to several other games.

You have a player shooting 54% from 3 but doesn't have enough attempts to be considered in the league or national stats. Granted he could take more a game but many would not be considered quality with someone in your face and Reed isn't going to force it. It's the same when Kellan Grady was here. He was constantly running to get open without the help of off the ball screens. He ran so much over the span of the season he developed plantar fasciitis. I don't always agree with Vitale but even he said Reed should get a minimum of 10 shots a game. You can see many games he has been guarded closely. If he was playing for any other team I can assure you the coach would run plays to get him his shots.

Last edited:
You have a player shooting 54% from 3 but doesn't have enough attempts to be considered in the league or national stats. Granted he could take more a game but many would not be considered quality with someone in your face and Reed isn't going to force it. It's the same when Kellan Grady was here. He was constantly running to get open without the help of off the ball screens. He ran so much over the span of the season he developed plantar fasciitis. I don't always agree with Vitale but even he said Reed should get a minimum of 10 shots a game. You can see many games he has been guarded closely. If he was playing for any other team I can assure you the coach would run plays to get him his shots.
He'd get 10 shots in the first 30 minutes if he looked for his shot more. Reed not taking enough shots is absolutely on him. He doesn't need even have to run side to side to get them. He's open A LOT.

Last edited:
Uhhhh wut? What's the point of this? We have the 2nd best offense in the nation, score 90 points per game. Reed averages 4 attempts from 3 per game, and about 8 FG attempts.

He's running PG right now, and he's taking his open shots. He's had some OUTSTANDING offensive games.

So your overall point is that if he played for a worse team he would have more shooting opportunities? Ok, good thread...

Look, I'm the biggest Reed apologist here, and even I can see that Reed as PG is going to shoot the ball less than he would if he were the focal point of the offense. Interestingly enough, Rob as a 2 last night had 10 assists. So it seems to me that Reed is doing what he's supposed to do, and his ability to hit the 3 keeps the defense from sagging off him. He makes them pay if they even hesitate for a second.

At this point we have so many scorers that I really don't care anymore.

Of course if Cal cuts his minutes when DJ comes back I might start griping, but not now.

People are way too obsessed about this. One of the reasons he shoots so well is because he picks great shots to take. If he turns into a Dillingham type player his shooting percentage would go down. And why does it matter who makes the basket? Points are points. If Reed passes up on a semi-open shot to pass it to a guy who's more open and makes it the end result is the same. Last night Reed passed on an open three, dished it to Dillingham, who then made a 3. Three points are three points whether it comes from Reed or Dillingham.

People are way too obsessed about this. One of the reasons he shoots so well is because he picks great shots to take. If he turns into a Dillingham type player his shooting percentage would go down. And why does it matter who makes the basket? Points are points. If Reed passes up on a semi-open shot to pass it to a guy who's more open and makes it the end result is the same. Last night Reed passed on an open three, dished it to Dillingham, who then made a 3. Three points are three points whether it comes from Reed or Dillingham.
Yeah we're gonna agree on this one. Hell, 109 points in a conference game, I mean what more do people want. The defense gripe about any/all of our players is legit, but not enough points is pretty self-evident.

Probably not if that team had Reeves and especially, Dillingham. Rob Dillingham doesn't have problems getting his shots without screens and he shoots a great percentage from 3.

Obviously, offense isn’t the problem, so complaining about Shep not getting enough shots is kind of silly.

If Shep starts taking more shots the same people are going to complain about that too, especially when his shooting percentage goes down.

It’s a free country, so complain all you want, but there are more pressing matters, like the fact that we can’t guard a fence post!

No fan of Cal at all right now or likely anymore. But Reed passes out of many OPEN 3s a game. That's on Reed . I will blame Cal for a lot of things right now but not that.

No fan of Cal at all right now or likely anymore. But Reed passes out of many OPEN 3s a game. That's on Reed . I will blame Cal for a lot of things right now but not that.
Obviously, offense isn’t the problem, so complaining about Shep not getting enough shots is kind of silly.

If Shep starts taking more shots the same people are going to complain about that too, especially when his shooting percentage goes down.

It’s a free country, so complain all you want, but there are more pressing matters, like the fact that we can’t guard a fence post!

Yeah this is just a weird, weird thing to complain about after scoring 109 points last night, and 93 against one of the best defenses in America in Tennessee, etc. etc.

There is one thing and one thing only to complain about, and it's DEFENSE.

LOL, he plays more minutes, and has the ball in his hands more than anyone. How TF is it Cal's fault he doesn't shoot more ? Some people are just looking for ANYTHING to bitch about with Cal's coaching. It is fine to criticize his many bad faults, but don't make yourself look really dumb by trying to generate things to gripe about him. It makes you look really dense.

Reed doesn't have the aggression that his father had. He's a great shooter, but he doesn't have that kill gene that Dilly has. He's a pass first, shoot second type player. And a little bit of a liability on defense.

I didn’t create a thread based on last nights game. I agree who cares who scores when you put up 109. But how can you justify him only getting 2 attempts from 3 in the loss to SC? If he gets 10 shots would we have won? My point is you can design plays for him to get him opportunities. My thread was based on one of the nations top 3 point shooters not get enough attempts. Bobby knight made sure Steve Alford got open to knock down 3s. I want Cal to able to lean on Reed the same if needed. He’s just too good of a shooter not to have specific plays for him. I respect and appreciate everyone’s opinion.

I didn’t create a thread based on last nights game. I agree who cares who scores when you put up 109. But how can you justify him only getting 2 attempts from 3 in the loss to SC? If he gets 10 shots would we have won? My point is you can design plays for him to get him opportunities. My thread was based on one of the nations top 3 point shooters not get enough attempts. Bobby knight made sure Steve Alford got open to knock down 3s. I want Cal to able to lean on Reed the same if needed. He’s just too good of a shooter not to have specific plays for him. I respect and appreciate everyone’s opinion.
I'm sorry but your post is trash, he has a green light to shot, per Cal. As far as the South Carolina game, the young freshman was so intimidated by the grown man defense they put up, he disappeared and he wasn't the only one.

Yeah we're gonna agree on this one.
hell082way_wide-d452268a5a1fd0fbc7351a269588579ff078053d-s1600-c85.webp

Reactions: Fox2monk
Exactly

Dumb post

G
Bullshit. I watched Reed pass up AT LEAST 5 open shots last night. He is having a great freshman season but his game still needs some work. He also needs to get stronger,people saying he is ready for NBA after this year are delusional

That’s not how you get plantar fasciitis

Reactions: HagginHall1999
My completely evidence-free imagining (since that's the game we're playing) is to assume that Cal asked Sheppard to make everyone else on the team better. Sheppard sprang so fully-formed into prominence that Cal let Sheppard know his professional future -- barring body failure -- was assured. You could hear the sound of NBA scouts' heads whiplashing into attention.

My imagining assumes no malignity on the part of anyone. Not as much fun as hating, sure, but it fits the facts without resorting to poison.

You're being generous with the "little".
And I guess some of you think Reed is worse than Dilly on defense? Dilly doesn’t play a lick of defense. I love Dillngham’s shooting, and Sheppard’s leadership and ball control. Shep needs to be better on D as do almost everyone else on the team. His D is criticized unmercifully here but I’m not seeing any better from Dillingham or Reeves. Shep usually draws the other teams best scoring guard for a reason.

And I guess some of you think Reed is worse than Dilly on defense? Dilly doesn’t play a lick of defense. I love Dillngham’s shooting, and Sheppard’s leadership and ball control. Shep needs to be better on D as do almost everyone else on the team. His D is criticized unmercifully here but I’m not seeing any better from Dillingham or Reeves. Shep usually draws the other teams best scoring guard for a reason.
Reeves is no Gary Payton, but he is definitely a better defender than Reed.

People have to bitch even when UK wins by 32. Miserable losers.
First it was he needs to play more. Now he plays nearly every second. Even when Wagner was playing. Sheppard played a ton of minutes.
Now they can't bitch about minutes. It's he needs to shoot more.
If I were a high school basketball star from Kentucky. Loved UK (like I do) I'd still seriously consider playing in another state. Some UK fans are complete nut cases.

Reactions: DreadLox
Reed is not a volume scorer/shooter, it’s never been his game even in HS he didn’t hunt shots. Reed getting more shots or scoring more has zero to do with UK struggling in some games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT