ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Take: Reed should transfer or declare

Maybe but Stockton was miles better of a defender than Reed is. Like others say, projections can put him in the lottery but I don't see how he'd do well in the NBA at the moment.
How many years of college did Stockton play? Let’s pray Reed goes the same route.

Reed is making enough from NIL to not transfer. He may even stay another year (slight chance). Would love a new coach to come in and set him and Perry up for success as UK's backcourt.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
Just an opinion , might be wrong , but I dont think Sheperds game in a good fit for the pro game .. who the hell he gonna guard in that league ? Maybe they dont care about D , I dont watch that circus show , ... but hopefully he makes a ton of NIL $$ and sticks around to play for a new coach . But I'm not picking him in the 1st round if I'm a NBA GM . Great college player , but gotta mature and learn how to hide his weaknesses .
Not that I disagree with your post but if you watched the Arizona/Colorado game tonight, you got to see the supposed #1 overall pick go for 8 and 1 in 33 min.
If he's #1, Reed has to be in the lottery
I seen earlier this week where Cason is making a tad over 5 mil a year.
NIL at UK can't touch that.

Stupid post above. First of all, NBA has no interest in "X's and O's". Secondly, Cal's players (whether because or despite him) have done pretty well in the NBA. Sadly, that has not translated to college success. Which further proves what I've been saying for many years, that college basketball and NBA are 2 very different sports.
Lastly, there is a chance, hope, that UK has a new coach next year. And if so, presumably, hopefully, it would be someone very good.
Uninformed post. The NBA actually does place a high value on a player with knowledge of the game, the ability to anticipate and make correct decisions in the moment. A coach on the floor if you will.
There is a learning curve between college and the NBA. Game is faster, players stronger and the cream rises to the top pretty quickly. Some of those attributes will come to Reed naturally as he matures...speed, strength, etc. Knowing how to get his shot off against faster, bigger, more seasoned players is a learned skill. And you can't get that sitting on Calipari's bench for most of a half.

Reed Sheppard has played himself into legitimate 1st round draft projection as a freshman at most 6’3 CG from being the 79th ranked recruit by 247 in his class.

While all the metrics will tell you how great Reed has played this season, we also have regressed as a team as he’s played more and started. *Not blaming Reed just a factual statement

I have no idea why he’d transfer. Cal has given him the keys to the team and his future prospects have skyrocketed from just 4 months ago.
Guarantee you Reed has no problem with Cal. This season has been a boom for him personally.
May not be a player in the Cal era who's increased his stock more than the day he stepped on campus.
He's right there with Shai and Herro.

First, let me say I love Reed Shepherd. His father was one of my favorite Cats.
But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.
You are nut.

Maybe but Stockton was miles better of a defender than Reed is. Like others say, projections can put him in the lottery but I don't see how he'd do well in the NBA at the moment.
He would play a role similar to the one Wallace plays for the Thunder.

^^ thats about as accurate as the star system for high schoolers
I’m not saying I agree or that it will happen. But they also have Dilly going 4th. And that will happen.

Those who think Reed will be back aren’t in touch with reality. The fact that these mocks now list him as high as second - means he’s almost surely going in the lottery, and if not, top 20. He’s gone.

Also, if you look at CBS’s mock from February 2023 - they went 9/14 on their lottery predictions. And they were wrong on some because dudes went back to school or were drafted right outside of the lottery. So it may be accurate after all.

Last edited:
It’s funny how all the commentators and former coaches rave about Sheppard and Dillingham. Two players that aren’t starters, (Sheppard starting due to Wagner injury). They go on and on about them. Cal is clueless.

Reactions: UKortho
But, Reed's game isn't going to get any better under Calipari. If he doesn't declare for the NBA draft he should consider transferring to a program where he can learn the game from a real X's and O's coach. Dan Hurley is a excellent coach, so is Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett. Spending 6 months playing and learning from any of those guys would better prepare him for the NBA.
I hate the idea of him leaving but, Calipari isn't going to make him better or more prepared for the NBA.

What?

Stockton was NOT a better player than Reed at the same age. His freshman year isn’t even close to Reeds year this year.

How do you explain every other player getting better then?

CBS Sports now has Reed Sheppard as the #2 pick in the draft.

That is lunacy. I saw that and I'm pretty sure that was posted BEFORE last nights nice game from him.

Shep is a tough call at this point. We've seen what he can do, and we've also seen some real deficiencies.. but someone is losing their job if they take him #2.

Hopefully Shep comes back, and there's always a chance he has a new head coach next year if UK and Cal work something out.

How do you explain every other player getting better then?
Players get better as they get older and gain more experience. It’s a complicated concept I know. Should work the same for coaches but the longer cal coaches the worse he’s getting. His coaching his comically bad at the moment unfortunately it is at our expense.

Stockton was NOT a better player than Reed at the same age. His freshman year isn’t even close to Reeds year this year.

I didn't see college Stockton but from what I can see, Reed has massive defensive liabilities that will cause him to get lit up in the NBA game.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP
Now I completely expect Reed to put his name in, even if he 100% is returning, if for no other reason than to get direct input from NBA teams on what they want to see him work/improve on.
And I’m sure some on here, the minute he tests the water will be chicken little.

Reactions: KYExtemper
He will go pro after this year so we won’t have to think about that
I just don't think so. I think he wants to allow his parents to watch him play at least 1 more year. I do agree he would improve more under Bennett. He would improve more under his parents than ccc

I just don't think so. I think he wants to allow his parents to watch him play at least 1 more year. I do agree he would improve more under Bennett. He would improve more under his parents than ccc
He is gone if he is a top 20 pick cal will push him out the door in any scenario like that

He is gone if he is a top 20 pick cal will push him out the door in any scenario like that

I'm telling you now.. he's not drafted in the top30 on his performance to date. Last night was a start, but he (and Cal) did so much damage to that great start of his.. I think the NBA is no longer an option unless something changes.

If the draft was today, he either returns or transfers.

And that includes Edwards, Bradshaw.. and hot take, DJ as well.

Dilly is our own lottery pick. Big Z and Reeves are late 1st round and into the 2nd.

Maybe this is Cals plan.. making a super team for next year. Is that the bourbon talking?

I'm telling you now.. he's not drafted in the top30 on his performance to date. Last night was a start, but he (and Cal) did so much damage to that great start of his.. I think the NBA is no longer an option unless something changes.

Dilly is our own lottery pick. Big Z and Reeves are late 1st round and into the 2nd.

Maybe this is Cals plan.. making a super team for next year. Is that the bourbon talking?
He was number 12 in the last mock draft, so I think the league still values him

Reeves is getting drafted?

He was number 12 in the last mock draft, so I think the league still values him

Which mocks? You have to be careful, mocks will not only 1. Not update often and 2. Even when they do, they don't update *everything*.

I see no way that Shep is a lottery pick. If he can't play defense at THIS level, then he's unplayable at the next level.

Reed Sheppard has played himself into legitimate 1st round draft projection as a freshman at most 6’3 CG from being the 79th ranked recruit by 247 in his class.

While all the metrics will tell you how great Reed has played this season, we also have regressed as a team as he’s played more and started. *Not blaming Reed just a factual statement

I have no idea why he’d transfer. Cal has given him the keys to the team and his future prospects have skyrocketed from just 4 months ago.
I'd like to what his +/- are game by game. Because he gives up A LOT of points, more than he scores IMO. It's one area of his game that desperately needs work.

That is lunacy. I saw that and I'm pretty sure that was posted BEFORE last nights nice game from him.

Shep is a tough call at this point. We've seen what he can do, and we've also seen some real deficiencies.. but someone is losing their job if they take him #2.

Hopefully Shep comes back, and there's always a chance he has a new head coach next year if UK and Cal work something out.
Sure the number two pick the whole draft does seem far-fetched. At the same time, the Spurs would love to grab him. So who knows.

And surely you’re not implying that last night game hurts him somehow? If you compare CBS Sports mock draft last February to the actual draft, they were pretty accurate. So if he’s being projected in the lottery by most of these things, he’s surely going to at least be a top 20 pick at this point.

Sure the number two pick the whole draft does seem far-fetched. At the same time, the Spurs would love to grab him. So who knows.

And surely you’re not implying that last night game hurts him somehow? If you compare CBS Sports mock draft last February to the actual draft, they were pretty accurate. So if he’s being projected in the lottery by most of these things, he’s surely going to at least be a top 20 pick at this point.

No last night helps him. It was his best performance in a while.

But, I'm still skeptical oh his draft stock this year.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
Which mocks? You have to be careful, mocks will not only 1. Not update often and 2. Even when they do, they don't update *everything*.

I see no way that Shep is a lottery pick. If he can't play defense at THIS level, then he's unplayable at the next level.
This has been exhausted in other threads. He is currently projected in the lottery by several, respected mock drafts.

Three of these have been updated in the past week. Just because fans desperately want him to come back doesn’t change the fact that this is where experts - not homers on message boards - value him.

It’s time to just let reality sink in - he will likely go in the lottery and if he does not, he won’t fall out of the top 20. And in an extremely weak draft class, he should most definitely bolt.

No last night helps him. It was his best performance in a while.

But, I'm still skeptical oh his draft stock this year.
Last night definitely helped his case even more for sure. And from what I’ve read, the scouts aren’t too concerned about how he does in the combine because they know exactly what he does over the course of a season. Very few people have seasons like he is having. And they know that they’ll get better coaches around him to help him with his weaknesses.

No college player is ever ready for the NBA. But Reed is reminding me more of John Stocton every day(not saying he is in that class yet; Stockton wasn't either as a college freshman). I hope he comes back but I think he will be a great NBA player some day.

No college player is ever ready for the NBA. But Reed is reminding me more of John Stocton every day(not saying he is in that class yet; Stockton wasn't either as a college freshman). I hope he comes back but I think he will be a great NBA player some day.
But if Stockton had left for nba before he was fully seasoned, he may not have lasted long enough to finish developing

Reactions: KYExtemper
I cant see Reed seriously being a lottery selection. Maybe late middle 1st.. Reed makes a ton next year in Nil and honestly is a very attractive piece for the new coach. My heart says he stays but if it's turmoil he might leave

But if Stockton had left for nba before he was fully seasoned, he may not have lasted long enough to finish developing
Yeah, sure. I'm was mainly trying to say his court vision and fundamentals without flash reminds me of Stockton.

The mock that had him at #12 was from Giovany and it was updated this week.
Like I said in an earlier post, if Cody Williams is the "bar" for the 24 draft Reed is a safe bet for a lottery selection.

Now I completely expect Reed to put his name in, even if he 100% is returning, if for no other reason than to get direct input from NBA teams on what they want to see him work/improve on.
And I’m sure some on here, the minute he tests the water will be chicken little.
The thread " Reed Sheppard declares for NBA Draft" will be at least 10 pages lol.

Last edited:
they probably said that about Tim Couch his first year
Kinda ironic statement here . Tim Couch was set to transfer to Tennessee after his freshman year until Curry was fired and they hired Mumme. Couch even approached Anthony White to see if he wanted to transfer there with him . But Reed is not transferring anywhere.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT