ADVERTISEMENT

If I was the AD

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
The Calipari era is coming to an end so if I was the AD there are 3 coaches in calling to replace him.

1. Dan Hurley - dude is an elite coach and proven he can win at a very high level, make him say no.

2. Nate Oats - people have their opinions about him but he’s proven he can win, very good X’s and O’s guy. Give him the resources to recruit better talent and he would excel at Kentucky.

3. Frank Vogel - Former UK student manager, proven he can win at the NBA level. A lot of people respect him and he’s another X’s and O’s coach. Also great with the players. If Hurley says no, then you put all your money on this guy.

The Calipari era is coming to an end so if I was the AD there are 3 coaches in calling to replace him.

1. Dan Hurley - dude is an elite coach and proven he can win at a very high level, make him say no.

2. Nate Oats - people have their opinions about him but he’s proven he can win, very good X’s and O’s guy. Give him the resources to recruit better talent and he would excel at Kentucky.

3. Frank Vogel - Former UK student manager, proven he can win at the NBA level. A lot of people respect him and he’s another X’s and O’s coach. Also great with the players. If Hurley says no, then you put all your money on this guy.
So wait, if #1 says no, you skip #2 and put all your money on #3? Wouldn't that make Frank your #2?

People keep on with the "make Hurley say no." He's going to say no.
We can make Coach K and Jay Wright say no. But they're going to say no.

We should absolutely offer it to him. But the "make him say no" is getting ridiculous fast.

We should absolutely offer it to him. But the "make him say no" is getting ridiculous fast.
Wright is done. He’s not coming back to college ball. He left because of NIL. Why would he come back?

And K despite being a rat is 76. You don’t go back to college ball at that age. You run for President.

Wright is done. He’s not coming back to college ball. He left because of NIL. Why would he come back?

And K despite being a rat is 76. You don’t go back to college ball at that age. You run for President.
Oh, I certainly don't actually mean we should make them say no.

I'm saying they're absolutely not taking the job. This whole "make him say no" phrase is getting burnt out pretty quickly.

Oh, I certainly don't actually mean we should make them say no.

I'm saying they're absolutely not taking the job. This whole "make him say no" phrase is getting burnt out pretty quickly.
I know what you mean. It’s just some folks act like those two are even a possibility.

Reactions: cats1920
Dan Hurley got hot and won a title last year. Check his time at Rhode Island and the first 6 years at UCONN before throwing the kitchen sink at him. He is much like Jay Wright. He has a solid career but nothing special but one special recruiting class gave him glory in 2016 - 2018. I think it’s time for college to quit being held financial hostage by the guys that have a name. Coaching basketball isn’t brain surgery.

Still waiting for this board to let me be the Mod.... I could clean up the cesspool.

Dan Hurley got hot and won a title last year. Check his time at Rhode Island and the first 6 years at UCONN before throwing the kitchen sink at him. He is much like Jay Wright. He has a solid career but nothing special but one special recruiting class gave him glory in 2016 - 2018. I think it’s time for college to quit being held financial hostage by the guys that have a name. Coaching basketball isn’t brain surgery.
Dan Hurley took RI back to the NCAA Tournament in 2017 for the first time since 1999. Took them in back-to-back years before going to UConn.

When he took over UConn, they were put on 2 years probation and given recruiting restrictions and loss of scholarship as part of it. They came off probation heading into the 21-22 season and won the title in their second year off probation. They are currently the #1 team in the nation.

Pretty damn good resume if you ask me.

What makes you definitively say he's going to say no?

Dan Hurley took RI back to the NCAA Tournament in 2017 for the first time since 1999. Took them in back-to-back years before going to UConn.

When he took over UConn, they were put on 2 years probation and given recruiting restrictions and loss of scholarship as part of it. They came off probation heading into the 21-22 season and won the title in their second year off probation. They are currently the #1 team in the nation.

Pretty damn good resume if you ask me.
I don’t doubt he is a great coach. His resume is similar to many other good coaches up until last year. I actually like the guy, I love how pissed off he gets on the sidelines. I just don’t get all the offer him 10 million talk and make him say no.

I don’t doubt he is a great coach. His resume is similar to many other good coaches up until last year. I actually like the guy, I love how pissed off he gets on the sidelines. I just don’t get all the offer him 10 million talk and make him say no.
Oh, I agree with that. I believe the most UK would have to put out for the coaches people throw out there (Hurley, Oats, Drew) is $6 - $7 million. That would put them as the 2nd highest paid coach in basketball.

You seem like a decent poster, but saying you have sources when you joined 3 months ago, seems very troll worthy

Reactions: NociHTTP
The Frank Vogel love on this site by some is baffling to me. Just look across college basketball over the years and you can see how hiring an NBA guy with no college experience works...it doesn't. Also, the fan base wants to get rid of Cal because of recent lack of success. Since 2014, Vogel has done the following:

2015 - missed playoffs
2016 - lost in first round
2017 - missed playoffs
2018 - missed playoffs
2019 - didn't coach
2020 - won the NBA title
2021 - lost in first round
2022 - missed playoffs
2023 - didn't coach
2024 - 29-21 with one of the most talented teams in the NBA

He's not been a good coach, except for the crazy bubble season. Fans need to stop drooling over a guy because they have ties to UK. That is the only reason we would ever talk about this guy.

We need to really start looking at the "why" when a coach turns down a place like UK. And maybe, if that "why" can't be addressed, then we need to take a long hard look in the mirror as to what Kentucky can be going forward.

Reactions: Bill Teaby
Still waiting for this board to let me be the Mod.... I could clean up the cesspool.
Tell me a coach you would hire then? Obviously you could go after Pearl or Beard but we all know Mitch won’t call those two guys.

We need to really start looking at the "why" when a coach turns down a place like UK. And maybe, if that "why" can't be addressed, then we need to take a long hard look in the mirror as to what Kentucky can be going forward.
I fully believe Steve Sarkisian was going to turn down the Alabama job if offered. Alabama is the gold standard. Why would anyone turn that down?

He is at a school that expects to win. He has all of the resources needed to get it done. He's fresh off a playoff berth and has an amazing roster that is built to compete for the next few years. Also, the pressure at Alabama is going to be worse than it is at Texas.

Hurley is in the same boat but an even better situation. I would argue UCONN has earned blue blood status. If not, they're close enough to succeed yearly regardless. He's actually won a national championship. The very next year, he has the best team in college basketball again. He can recruit at the highest level. He presumably has plenty of NIL Support--as evidenced b the rosters the last couple of years. He'll also have immensely more pressure here. FWIW, I don't think he takes the Duke or UNC job either.

I also think there's a reality that a lot of coaches want to find a good job and be content--rather than moving multiple times to switch jobs. We've seen guys turn down bigger opportunities to stay where they are. There's a life factor for some. They have built the house and family life they want in a certain town. Maybe they have kids in school that they don't want to disrupt.

At the end of the day, I think the guy that's at a blue blood or fringe blue blood that just won a national championship just isn't gonna be lured away by anyone.

People want Pitino. People want pressing defense. People want UK to be feared.
So St. John's is feared right now?

What other team in the top 25 is "feared"? I think those days are LONG gone, not just at Kentucky, but in college basketball in general, thanks to the portal and NIL, and regardless of the coach (this is in no way voicing support for Cal, just saying "fear" is no longer a thing in college basketball).

Reactions: Emarc

I hate to say it, but the why is us. The fanbase. Many of us expect to win every game every year and to look impressive doing so every time out.

No established coach who’s built his legacy elsewhere in the P5 is leaving to come be scrutinized by a couple million armchair coaches.

I think it’s time to move on from Cal, but we’re likely going to have to hire a younger guy and hope he’s good.

I don’t see a super established coach who’s been to FFs and/or has won a championship coming here. The word in coaching circles will be we chased off a HOF coach with a 76 percent winning percentage who won a title and went to 4 FFs (even though the back half of his tenure was mediocre at best). The next person knows they have to come in and top that very fast or we’ll be calling for his head midway through year 2 if we’re only “good” and not “great.”

This is not me showing support for Cal. I’m just offering my opinion of why I doubt our next coach will be a big name, established coach with a history of tournament success.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
So St. John's is feared right now?

What other team in the top 25 is "feared"? I think those days are LONG gone, not just at Kentucky, but in college basketball in general, thanks to the portal and NIL, and regardless of the coach (this is in no way voicing support for Cal, just saying "fear" is no longer a thing in college basketball).
Are you saying you think Pitino at Kentucky would be Pitino at St. John's?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT