ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer

What's a beer that would taste good to someone who loves natty light. Something that still tastes basically like water, but will make people not make fun of me. I go PBR sometimes, but steer away if I can. TIA. This is not a joke.

Reactions: UKGrad93
What's a beer that would taste good to someone who loves natty light. Something that still tastes basically like water, but will make people not make fun of me. I go PBR sometimes, but steer away if I can. TIA. This is not a joke.

burgerbeer.png

For something available nationwide, try Shiner Premium or New Belgium Blue Paddle Pilsener. Both are relatively "light", so to speak, but may contain more calories than the big beers.

For the Natty Lite fellow, try a Bells Oberon. My sister is a Bud Light drinker and I got her onto those last summer and she loves them. They are available almost anywhere right now so they shouldn't be hard to find. Of course if you drink Natty Lite the price is going to throw you for a loop.

Starting a new one because the last one is deep on the board and it was getting too long, I also had another fantastic limited run beer from Lagunitas this weekend that I wanted to share. Get it while you can, this is one of the best ales I have ever had.

548266d1275918640-lagunitas-undercover-ale-beers_undercover_main.jpg
Picked up an Undercover single earlier tonight. Reporting back tomorrow after sampling.

Natty is cheap, will get you drunk, and I drink it proudly. I respect the connisseures of suds, I really do. Just ain't for me. Natty or Bud Light and I'm good to go. I approve this message.

Had Weihenstephaner Vitus Weizenbock tonight. Crisp initial taste with a spicy finish. Kinda reminded me of Christmas spice at the finish.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Natty is cheap, will get you drunk, and I drink it proudly. I respect the connisseures of suds, I really do. Just ain't for me. Natty or Bud Light and I'm good to go. I approve this message.

I respect this thought process. I rarely drink to get drunk anymore. And I for darn sure can't handle the recovery like I used to. But when I do drink with a purpose, I'm fine with light Bud or Miller.

Goes for food too. I would love to afford eating at all the best places every night, but sometimes a crappy fast food burger works just fine.

Narragansett-beer.jpg

Had this a few days ago. A great summer-time beer that you can crush like 20 of. Also, heard from the bartender (fwiw) that it's all natural ingredients, natural process and all that stuff..Might lessen the hangovers.

Not much of a beer drinker these days. Getting into bartending/mixology, so with a few real good bar books, I've just been stocking up on ingredients, spirits and juices to make different concoctions each week. It's more fun and it makes me feel like I'm being productive. Like a mad drunk scientist.

But I've been diggin' the 21st Amendment Cans lately. Cans are making a comeback now that it doesn't taste like the tin-flavored Coors banquet beer from the 80's. The Brew Free, Watermelon and BIB are excellent.

21A_Cans_1024-1.png

Okay, finally tried Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale. I rated it 4.5 out of 5 stars. "Hoppy with citrus on the nose. Well-balanced. Sweeter notes on the tongue. Very slight piney touch. Nice beer." No disappointments here.

LagunitasUndercover.jpg

Had Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA last night.

I'm still getting used to IPA's......so this was a little bitter for my taste. Had a strong aftertaste that stuck with you. Overall it wasn't too bad.....I'm just not used to them yet.

Had Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA last night.

I'm still getting used to IPA's......so this was a little bitter for my taste. Had a strong aftertaste that stuck with you. Overall it wasn't too bad.....I'm just not used to them yet.
Give their Hop Hunter a try. Not quite as hoppy.

Not sure if this was in the last thread, but I just tried White Rajah for the first time over the weekend. Incredibly well done IPA out of Ohio. I had always passed over it on my trips to the Liquor Barn. I won't be making that mistake again. This one's going to be a staple in the beer fridge from now on.

img_1938.jpg

Blue Point Toasted Lager is awesome. Supposedly it's being distributed by Busch, but haven't seen it in KY. Anybody hear of it?

Reactions: LineSkiCat
Tried two different double IPA's today...

Heller Heaven from West 6th - 4.5/5 great beer for IPA lovers.

11261597_832298670198872_317157261_n.jpg

Citra Ass Down from Against the Grain - 4.75/5 - this may be my new summer go-to for IPA's, great citrus/hoppy taste.

detail.3e275672.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Blue Point Toasted Lager is awesome. Supposedly it's being distributed by Busch, but haven't seen it in KY. Anybody hear of it?

Blue Point is the tits and hails from Blue Point, Long Island, NY. Their blueberry, mosaic, and Hoptical Illusion are also great. I do belive they were bought out by AB, maybe a year ir two ago..

Moving back to Lexington soon. Friends, job, lifestyle, etc. will all be missed, but I don't know if I can go back to Midwest or East Coast style IPAs :oops:

Tried Country Western last week. At 13% it kicked my ass. Nice beer. Maybe a bit to heavy for my taste to try again.

Here is a new list of the best craft beers in America according to Zymurgys. Russian River's Pliny the Elder was named best beer for the 7th year in a row. Bell's Two Hearted Ale comes in 2nd.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/zymurgys-2015-best-beers-in-america-results/
I believe I counted 18 on that list I've had. I like Sierra Nevada but I just can't believe the Torpedo is ranked that high. Lagunitas has about 5 beers better than that, that didn't make the list.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
Wish I could score a bottle of that Pliny. It's the one beer on my wish list that I haven't had.
I went on Russian River's website and the two closest places to buy it are Colorado and Philly. I would like to try it too.

The article also included a best import list. I have not tried the top rated Unibroue La Fin Du Monde (Canada) but I see that it is available at Liquor Barn. I will pick up some at lunch for the weekend.

Last edited:
I've heard so many good things about the following Belgium beer. Anyone had this before?

cantillon-classic-gueuze.jpg

I went on Russian River's website and the two closest places to buy it are Colorado and Philly. I would like to try it too.

The article also included a best import list. I have not tried the top rated Unibroue La Fin Du Monde (Canada) but I see that it is available at Liquor Barn. I will pick up some at lunch for the weekend.

Meh, La Fin Du Monde is pretty good, but it's not earth shattering. Almost seems like a Big Brewery like Bud or whoever owns those shitty watered down Molsons own.

Unibroue makes a beer for Trader Joes that's available every holiday season around the last week of November. It's like 5 bucks for a 22 oz and extremely good.

Tried Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar at Pies & Pints the other day and immediately went to Liquor Barn to pick some up the next day.

ADVERTISEMENT