ADVERTISEMENT

Whats our odds to keep Thiero?

hmt5000

All-American
Aug 29, 2009
Other than Reed coming back and Big Z staying... Thiero was my biggest hope to keep him on board. I still think his upside is insane and Cal just didn't use him right or coach him up... especially on conditioning. Most of the fans I know were kind of in the same mindset. Pair his talent with some shooters in a spread out offense and he's going to have some highlight dunks.

Other than Reed coming back and Big Z staying... Thiero was my biggest hope to keep him on board. I still think his upside is insane and Cal just didn't use him right or coach him up... especially on conditioning. Most of the fans I know were kind of in the same mindset. Pair his talent with some shooters in a spread out offense and he's going to have some highlight dunks.
I am not sure that I would want players on the team who didn't realize Cal was screwing them over. It would almost be impossible for Thiero to not realize Cal was holding him back. He was the only physical player we had on the team and should have only come out of the game to rest or when in foul trouble.

Last edited:
In addition, your asking about retaining someone who we probably was told would start next year, get paid and he knows what our facilities are like etc and said I'm leaving. Lol.

It probably doesn't really matter because it would take Pope more than a season to get him to where he needs to be after two seasons with Cal.

I am not sure that I would want players on the team who didn't realize Cal was screwing them over. It would almost impossible for Thiero to not realize Cal was holding him back. He was the only physical player we had on the team and should have only come out of the game to rest or when in foul trouble.
I think, for the most part, our players are very smart. They know far more about Calpari, his tendencies, what he values in a player and his expectations. The players are not easily fooled. They didn't realize Cal was screwing them over simply because he wasnt. So far, many of the recruits and at least one of the players have made the move to Arkansas. More are expected. They went there because they believe in Cal and they trust him. Only Kentucky people, mostly from this board, have such a dislike for Cal. People that actually know basketball hold him in high regard. That is not an opinion, its fact. While I hope Pope can put together a good roster, I do question why at least a few of his BYU players are not interested in playing here.

I am not sure that I would want players on the team who didn't realize Cal was screwing them over. It would almost impossible for Thiero to not realize Cal was holding him back. He was the only physical player we had on the team and should have only come out of the game to rest or when in foul trouble.

What a spinzone.

I think, for the most part, our players are very smart. They know far more about Calpari, his tendencies, what he values in a player and his expectations. The players are not easily fooled. They didn't realize Cal was screwing them over simply because he wasnt. So far, many of the recruits and at least one of the players have made the move to Arkansas. More are expected. They went there because they believe in Cal and they trust him. Only Kentucky people, mostly from this board, have such a dislike for Cal. People that actually know basketball hold him in high regard. That is not an opinion, its fact. While I hope Pope can put together a good roster, I do question why at least a few of his BYU players are not interested in playing here.
Did they realize Cal was a FAILURE in March?..... And you are way incorrect on the dislike for Cal....Show me the "high regard" for Cal via high knowledgeable basketball people? It's not a fact. I know several "People that actually Know basketball ..." including former UK players, current and former coaches, and media people who don't share your sentiment. BTW, Bradshaw signed with Ohio State. Why didn't he follow Cal to Arky. What a stupid take you have posted.

Hunger Games Odds GIF

I absolutely love his game and he was not only badly coached but mistreated by Cal. Even when he first got here I never understood why he couldn’t see the floor. The only thing I don’t like about his play is he takes some serious risk and is injury prone. Hopefully he chooses to stay and can finally get a coach who will respect him.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
I’d say the odds of Thiero coming back are pretty crummy but they are much, much better than the odds of Shep coming back.😜

Reactions: Fox2monk
I would have liked for him to return prior to meeting Hubert Davis in Lexington. Now I'd prefer he left. What do these guys in Thiero's situation do regarding lodging and facilities, dining, etc.? Are they allowed to continue enjoying the perks of a scholarship player? Seems strange if so.

I am ok with losing Thiero because it appears there are players in the portal that are just as good if not better.
Thiero has improved over the course of each season he's played at UK. He has the drive to do well and continue to get better and better. We saw it every time he busted his ass on the court.

I'd love having Thiero back, even though I know it's borderline impossible at this point. He started a Kentucky Wildcat and I'd love to watch him finish his career a Kentucky Wildcat.

I would have liked for him to return prior to meeting Hubert Davis in Lexington. Now I'd prefer he left. What do these guys in Thiero's situation do regarding lodging and facilities, dining, etc.? Are they allowed to continue enjoying the perks of a scholarship player? Seems strange if so.
Years prior, I would agree with you. However, with the transfer portal and NIL I think we will see a lot more of these situations.

Reactions: JPFisher
What a spinzone.
It is superior to your clueless-zone. If you think continuing with the CCC model of bringing in big names to greatly underperform, you should join him at Arkansas. I am sure you will continue seeing and appreciating the same.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Apples and oranges. Cal recruits are looking ahead to the NBA and their college destination is inconsequential as a stepping stone to their goals. BYU players are mostly Mormon with deeper ties to their school.

Did he follow Cal to Ark, were they even on his list. No.
Then STFU.

Would love to have Theiro back, but odds are looking 5-10% or less.

Did he follow Cal to Ark, were they even on his list. No.
Then STFU.

Would love to have Theiro back, but odds are looking 5-10% or less.
Another tough guy on the internet. I am certain you would never be so bold if you were facing me. I don't recall asking you what you wanted. I stated my opinion about the matter even if you don't like it. Also, has he signed somewhere that prevents him from following your god?

Zero. I’m not nearly as high on him as most people are either .

But in this case your logic does not apply. Adou and Cal had problems. He was leaving UK when Cal was still going to be here . He did not consider Arkansas. Also , Saunders is the only BYU kid that Pope wanted that has said no .

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I would LOVE for Theiro to come back and be the effing man.
How would Theiro become the man in Pope's 5-out system? Theiro doesn't shoot well enough for Pope's system which is probably why he hasn't shown a lot of interest in returning to Kentucky.

Did they realize Cal was a FAILURE in March?..... And you are way incorrect on the dislike for Cal....Show me the "high regard" for Cal via high knowledgeable basketball people? It's not a fact. I know several "People that actually Know basketball ..." including former UK players, current and former coaches, and media people who don't share your sentiment. BTW, Bradshaw signed with Ohio State. Why didn't he follow Cal to Arky. What a stupid take you have posted.
Other than this board or KSR, show me the deep hate for Cal. Bradshaw is going to be a really good player but he has a unique set of problems. I am not saying everyone will go to Arkansas, I am asking why so far, none have come from BYU.

How would Theiro become the man in Pope's 5-out system? Theiro doesn't shoot well enough for Pope's system which is probably why he hasn't shown a lot of interest in returning to Kentucky.

I believe he will improve greatly in that area (shooting). I like his power game and ability to rebound. I believe this upcoming season will be his best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT