ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer

dgtatu01

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2005
Across The River
Starting a new one because the last one is deep on the board and it was getting too long, I also had another fantastic limited run beer from Lagunitas this weekend that I wanted to share. Get it while you can, this is one of the best ales I have ever had.

548266d1275918640-lagunitas-undercover-ale-beers_undercover_main.jpg

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
Had some Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild the other night. Lagunitas is quickly becoming my favorite brewery.

Against the grain was profiled on Brew Dogs a couple weeks ago - looked like some good brew.

I have been absolutely crushing Lagunitas since last fall. My first was their Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale which is a sweeter refined IPA. Then I had Brown Sugar this winter which was just a big bad malty hoops caramel ale with 9% abv. Then I had their Pils which was a real nice frothy hoops pilsner. Then I had their Night Time which was their take on a black IPA. And now the one mentioned above.

Been off the juice for a little bit on the no carb kick, but I have these waiting for me in the fridge:

DSCN1014.jpg

love_child_no_5_boulevard.jpg

Had both before, but they are both amazing. Top 5 IPA and top 5 sour ale

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Been off the juice for a little bit on the no carb kick, but I have these waiting for me in the fridge:

DSCN1014.jpg

love_child_no_5_boulevard.jpg

Had both before, but they are both amazing. Top 5 IPA and top 5 sour ale
I was wondering where you at,

You we're being healthy. That Elsysian Space dust looks tasty,

Anyone had Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout? I wonder how much of the maple syrup/bourbon comes through. Sounds amazing.

Most everything from Against the Grain is excellent. Probably the best craft brewer in KY, imo. Country Boy and ATG are 1A and 1B.

The stuff ATG bottles and distributes is mostly very good, but the beers they serve in their actual taproom/restaurant are REALLY hit or miss. They try to be too edgy with the house brews and a full half of them end up being close to undrinkable. It is almost a shame to trek down there for some of their awesome pork belly on a stick and have it almost be ruined by a crappy beer, but it happens quite frequently.

When Brew Dogs listed their top 5 best breweries in Kentucky during that recent episode, ATG wasn't even on the list, which was a bit odd since that was who they did their collaboration with for the show. Says a lot about the beer there.

Made a trek to Jungle Jims in Cincy last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find Ballast Point brews on their shelves. Was the first time I have ever seen their Sculpin IPA in person, and it definitely won't be the last. That is one tasty beer, and I wish I had snagged more than a sixer.

Also picked up a brew from Mad Tree Brewing in Cincy - PsycHopathy. Very drinkable IPA.

Just had Founder's Black Rye the other night. Good flavor, but the mouthfeel was ultra thick. Almost too thick.

i guess I'm old school...the McDingaling's New South Wales Trumpet Buster India Pale Ale Seasonal type stuff pisses me off just to read it. Just go drink a beer with different flavors of bubbalicious in your mouth and save the money.

Now we want to talk about real beer? Lets go Europing.

Reactions: buckethead1978
i guess I'm old school...the McDingaling's New South Wales Trumpet Buster India Pale Ale Seasonal type stuff pisses me off just to read it. Just go drink a beer with different flavors of bubbalicious in your mouth and save the money.

Now we want to talk about real beer? Lets go Europing.
Egg, before diving into the US craft beer scene, I previously thought Europe -- Germany in particular, with Belgium a close second -- represented the ultimate in brewed beauty. After all, I lived over there for 11 years.

Nope. I have since changed my mind. USA currently owns this realm, hands down. One reason is the sheer amount of creatvity here dwarfs anything over in the old country. Another reason, the 499 year-old German Purity Law (Reinheitsgebot), perhaps stifles innovation more than anything.

We own 'em. Trust me on that.

Germany is starting to challenge the Reinheitsgebot. There are several craft brewers who are challenging the law. Though, it's hard to erase 500 yrs of public culture perception.......it won't be done overnight.

I like Strong English Ales. Fullers 1845 recipe may be the best of the lot but is a little hard to find. Fullers ESB is also excellent and more readily found.
1845_660X710_v2.png

Last edited:
The stuff ATG bottles and distributes is mostly very good, but the beers they serve in their actual taproom/restaurant are REALLY hit or miss. They try to be too edgy with the house brews and a full half of them end up being close to undrinkable. It is almost a shame to trek down there for some of their awesome pork belly on a stick and have it almost be ruined by a crappy beer, but it happens quite frequently.

When Brew Dogs listed their top 5 best breweries in Kentucky during that recent episode, ATG wasn't even on the list, which was a bit odd since that was who they did their collaboration with for the show. Says a lot about the beer there.

Made a trek to Jungle Jims in Cincy last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find Ballast Point brews on their shelves. Was the first time I have ever seen their Sculpin IPA in person, and it definitely won't be the last. That is one tasty beer, and I wish I had snagged more than a sixer.

Also picked up a brew from Mad Tree Brewing in Cincy - PsycHopathy. Very drinkable IPA.

Probably just a matter of taste. I can always blindly order whatever "smoke" is on tap, and im always very pleased. I feel the same way with their porters, and their browns.

I agree they don't have the typical stuff in their tap room that you normally see from craft brewers. Plus they always a completely different tap list that's always changing. To me, there are only so many scotch ales, or imperial stouts I can drink because they all basically taste the same. Not the case with country boy or ATG; and that's why I like them.

Egg, before diving into the US craft beer scene, I previously thought Europe -- Germany in particular, with Belgium a close second -- represented the ultimate in brewed beauty. After all, I lived over there for 11 years.

Nope. I have since changed my mind. USA currently owns this realm, hands down. One reason is the sheer amount of creatvity here dwarfs anything over in the old country. Another reason, the 499 year-old German Purity Law (Reinheitsgebot), perhaps stifles innovation more than anything.

We own 'em. Trust me on that.

ehhh. ill take your word on it, i suppose. I am a fan of Czech beers, German beers, Belgians...you nailed that. And while there are subtle differences they are real and aren't jacked up flavor buster types. This craft stuff looks like Willy Wonka stuff to me.

ehhh. ill take your word on it, i suppose. I am a fan of Czech beers, German beers, Belgians...you nailed that. And while there are subtle differences they are real and aren't jacked up flavor buster types. This craft stuff looks like Willy Wonka stuff to me.
Well, it is and it isn't. I probably misspoke, but still believe we have achieved some parity In my opinion, some of the Euro styles are still considered legendary in many respects. Off the top of my head, Rauchbier (Smoked beer) from Bamberg and Belgian Trappists, Westvleteren in particular, really have no equals over here. I'm sure you know of several other outstanding Euros.

But when you have time, please check out some of the Double/Triple IPAs over here. Sixpoint and Oskar Blues freakin' rock. So many awesome US styles are out there nowadays. So many choices. Now is a great time to be a beer drinker.

Been looking for Hi-Res and haven't found it. Is it a limited run type thing?

Been looking for Hi-Res and haven't found it. Is it a limited run type thing?
Yes. Limited.

HiRes rans all April. It came out with Abigale and Beastmode.

I had Abigale but not Beastmode unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT