ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer

i

But damn you gotta take out a loan for that Chimay blue. I know none of its cheap, but damn.

Yeah, the only time I ever drink it is when I'm out to dinner with the wife for some special occasion. I never can justify spending that at my local stores when there are a lot of good beers available for half the price.

I really have become very fond of Anchor Steam Beer. It's one of my favorites.

Just had La Fin Du Monde ("The End Of The World") at Madison Garden tonight. Quite impressed. Almost made the wings taste worth it. (I'm a sauce guy......and a guy that can't handle a ton of fried foods)

Reactions: AustinTXCat
For some good laughs you should read Corona's reviews on beeradvocate.com. Hilarious. I never drink Mexican beers.

Love me some German beers. Need to find some new ones though.

My German faves:

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - First drank in 1984, Bad Orb, Germany. Served in wooden mugs. Loved it ever since. T'was shocking at first. Really, it's an acquired taste.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen - Best fresh from the keg in Germany.

Erdinger Hefeweizen - Gorgeous cloud.

Paulaner Hefeweizen - see above.

Flensburger Weizen: Strong hints of bananas. Lovely.

Eichener Pils: Unavailable here. First tasted in 1983. Much better from the keg than bottle.

Licher Pils: Limited availability in the USA. Really good ice cold.

Reissdorf Kölsch - Best of this style produced in Cologne.

Köstritzer Schwarzbier - Drank July, 2012 in Siegen, Germany. Toasty and great.

Altenmuenster Brauer Bier - Drank March 2013 in Haiger, Germany. Nice and dark.

^Thats right.....forgot about Spaten. Optimator is one of the best doppelbocks I've had. Had it in a wonderful German pub/restaurant in Indy. The food was amazing as well.

Check it out, I met Pierre Celis' daughter and granddaughter earlier this afternoon. For those of you who are unaware, Pierre Celis formerly owned the Hoegaarden brand from 1966 until selling out to AB-InBev in the late 1980s. If you've ever tasted Hoegaarden, then it was originated by Pierre. At any rate, he started up a brewery (Celis) here in Austin back in 1991. Both his daughter, Christine, and granddaughter, who grew up here in Austin, were on site today hawking their beers. Christine is very affable, and hopes to carry on her dad's legacy locally. Phenomenal experience for us die-hard beer nerds. Pic below.

ChristineCelis.jpg

Oskar Blues G'Knight imperial red IPA is world class. Picked some up in BG at the liquor barn. Got some Stone Double Bastard also. Going to crack that open today.

All seasonal beers seem to come out the season before, which is a bunch of crap. As much as I love summer beers, I don't want to be drinking Sam Summer in April when there's a chance of snow.

But the worst is seeing Fall Beers on the store shelves in July. The grown-up equivalent of going school supply shopping.

:cheers2:Fyi....Samuel Adam Octoberfest is in stores now in Louisville. [cheers]
Drinking one as I type. Its the first sign of fall for me when it hits the stores. Top 3 all time favorite beer for me. Beer snobs can laugh but I love it.

Say what you will, SA makes solid brews. I can easily drink all four seasonal brews. They aren't the best of the best for their given time of year, but I'll be happy to have one if available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT