ADVERTISEMENT

Zvonimir Ivišić will not play (including exhibitions) until approved by NCAA

I won’t act like I know much on clearing intl players, but places like Zaga and Zona seem to have zero issue with any eligibility concerns.

The combo of UK/Cal brings the stupid out of the NCAA.
And the vindictiveness.

LOL - this is right on schedule with Cal at this point... He plays the "I didn't know", "We'll be fine", "We'll have him after Christmas", "Don't blame the kids, blame me (no one was ever blaming the kids), "It's tournament play and I am not gonna throw a player in now who hasn't played" crap again. He's a victim - that is all you need to know. Same excuses with the other two bigs as well. Sure injuries happen and take recovery time - but THIS long? No - unless there is something long-term not shared - or someone really does not want to play (Sharpe). Dude LOVES to mislead and have built in "I am the victim" excuses.

Cal thinks he is clever and doesn't realize the level of distrust he has built for himself. Really lacks integrity and of course self-awareness. He is a politician and has been for years - his only "truth" is what he believes out of his mouth in a moment - and that can (and will) change often as it suits his narrative. He really is insufferable. Not even into the season yet and he is lying, gaslighting AND screwing the pooch.

This is in no way defending anyone- I feel as if Cal was misleading and should have just said so. That's 100% on Cal and when will he learn to be straight with us?!

That being said- it's normal for the NCAA to take at minimum 3 or 4 weeks to clear someone internationally. And they do not start that process until they step foot on campus.

Cal said they have done their due-diligence and feel very confident that he will be cleared, which I do as well, but he should have just been honest that this is why he was being held out of the exhibitions.

But I am not concerned, I think the clearance will come sometime next week.
I hope so, we need him for depth more than anything

Reactions: bbncal02
LOL - this is right on schedule with Cal at this point... He plays the "I didn't know", "We'll be fine", "We'll have him after Christmas", "Don't blame the kids, blame me (no one was ever blaming the kids), "It's tournament play and I am not gonna throw a player in now who hasn't played" crap again. He's a victim - that is all you need to know. Same excuses with the other two bigs as well. Sure injuries happen and take recovery time - but THIS long? No - unless there is something long-term not shared - or someone really does not want to play (Sharpe). Dude LOVES to mislead and have built in "I am the victim" excuses.

Cal thinks he is clever and doesn't realize the level of distrust he has built for himself. Really lacks integrity and of course self-awareness. He is a politician and has been for years - his only "truth" is what he believes out of his mouth in a moment - and that can (and will) change often as it suits his narrative. He really is insufferable. Not even into the season yet and he is lying, gaslighting AND screwing the pooch.

My wife had major foot operation in May (she is 75 ) and she is walking fine now. Don't understand why it is taking these young people so long to heal !

Yesterday, John Calipari said he anticipated Zvonimir Ivišić playing in Kentucky’s exhibition vs. Kentucky State next week. Turns out that decision is in the hands of the NCAA. UK Athletics just issued a statement saying that Ivišić cannot play against outside competition until he is cleared by the NCAA, which has yet to happen.

“As a department, we want to clarify, Zvonimir Ivišić has been cleared to practice and play in all intrasquad games. That said, he can not compete against outside competition, including exhibition games, until he is approved by the NCAA. There was miscommunication in this regard and, as we always do, we plan to adhere to NCAA rules. Until he is fully cleared, Zvonimir will be withheld from games against outside competition.”
**** the NCAA! I cant wait fir it to die!

Reactions: Kentucky2022
Not sure why the new thread on this, but whatever.

So Cal either lied directly to the fans and media on Wednesday or he had no clue that he was ineligible to play against outside competition.

Which one of those options makes Cal look good?
Maybe, just maybe, Cal feels the NCAA issue will be over very soon and he wasn't going to play Z anyway because of being with the team for only a few days. I gather he thinks all will be addressed by next week. I don't really care the (proCal- anti Cal) silliness as long as the kid gets his shot at playing soon.

Reactions: thedahc
Maybe, just maybe, Cal feels the NCAA issue will be over very soon and he wasn't going to play Z anyway because of being with the team for only a few days. I gather he thinks all will be addressed by next week. I don't really care the (proCal- anti Cal) silliness as long as the kid gets his shot at playing soon.
So why couldn't he have said that yesterday? Everyone would have appreciated that. But he didn't. And that's the problem.

So why couldn't he have said that yesterday? Everyone would have appreciated that. But he didn't. And that's the problem.
I thought he did say that Z wasn't playing due to not practicing enough. He may not be concerned with the NCAA...yet. If you are looking for real, meaningful answers, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Your question will just go down a Cal rabbit hole on this board.

I thought he did say that Z wasn't playing due to not practicing enough. He may not be concerned with the NCAA...yet. If you are looking for real, meaningful answers, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Your question will just go down a Cal rabbit hole on this board.
Right, but even if he'd practiced enough, he wouldn't have been playing because he wasn't eligible. My feelings on Cal aside, in this case he was either blatantly lying or clueless about the eligibility. And the lying is probably the better of the two bad scenarios.

Cal will do everything in his power to not "rush" the NCAA so that the kid isn't exposed before the NBA draft. He was already protecting the kid's draft status before this latest news. Just watch. Cal can't get away from UK fast enough for my liking. We need a coach who is all about trying to win conference and tournament titles.

He did say that. For the B/W game. And said it yesterday for the exhibition tomorrow. Obviously he can't play in the exhibition due to ineligibility. Which unless that just became known today to them, and it might have, he should've mentioned it yesterday.

My wife had major foot operation in May (she is 75 ) and she is walking fine now. Don't understand why it is taking these young people so long to heal !
Because they don't want to get exposed. It's the environment Cal has created. They're not coming here to win titles, else he'd be able to get guys coming back like other coaches do. They're signing on here to do the bare minimum and then go under the radar as much as possible.

This is in no way defending anyone- I feel as if Cal was misleading and should have just said so. That's 100% on Cal and when will he learn to be straight with us?!

That being said- it's normal for the NCAA to take at minimum 3 or 4 weeks to clear someone internationally. And they do not start that process until they step foot on campus.

Cal said they have done their due-diligence and feel very confident that he will be cleared, which I do as well, but he should have just been honest that this is why he was being held out of the exhibitions.

But I am not concerned, I think the clearance will come sometime next week.
THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Cal has to stop the coyness. We're not stupid. Does he really think he's pulling one over on people when he does that? Just be straight forward.

"Hey BBN, we're still waiting for the NCAA to give Big Z the nod so he can play in the exhibitions. We're not worried about anything but we have to wait for that green light. We will keep you posted!"

I don't freaking understand what's so hard about that.

Because they don't want to get exposed. It's the environment Cal has created. They're not coming here to win titles, else he'd be able to get guys coming back like other coaches do. They're signing on here to do the bare minimum and then go under the radar as much as possible.
This is the current UK basketball program in a nutshell, folks. It has almost nothing to do with college basketball. That pesky college ball part is just a front for an NBA draftee program.

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Cal has to stop the coyness. We're not stupid. Does he really think he's pulling one over on people when he does that? Just be straight forward.

"Hey BBN, we're still waiting for the NCAA to give Big Z the nod so he can play in the exhibitions. We're not worried about anything but we have to wait for that green light. We will keep you posted!"

I don't freaking understand what's so hard about that.
I might be simple minded, but I can't come up with a single downside to him saying exactly what you posted there. But for some reason, he chose to say something else that now makes him look bad.

I might be simple minded, but I can't come up with a single downside to him saying exactly what you posted there. But for some reason, he chose to say something else that now makes him look bad.
He's doing this because deep down he's an NBA recruiter/developer. The kid's draft status is front and center over respect for the fans or the program. When he's finally gone I just hope SOMEONE in the media asks him legitimate questions, like "Cal why did you place draft status at a higher priority than winning titles?". I want to see him squirm and walk out of the interview, or tell the truth.

Said it another post, will say it again in this.

Cal is damned if he is does and damned if he doesn't with a segment of fanbase.

If Cal said Ivisic wasn't saying until he was cleared, people would lose it. If he says he isn't playing because he is hurt, people would lose it.

It is simple folks, Cal lies for a reason.

If Cal said Ivisic wasn't saying until he was cleared, people would lose it. If he says he isn't playing because he is hurt, people would lose it.

It is simple Folks, He hits me because he loves me.

Next move is that “ Z” is injured and sits on the bench until the NBA draft, what a s##t show this program has turned into

Cal is so cryptic with any players status, it’s hard to make heads or tails of it. But he has no reason to lie. It just ends up biting him in the ass down the road.

The story will usually come out at some point. So just be upfront as opposed to losing people’s trust.

I wouldn't lose it. If it's the truth, then I'm perfectly ok either way. It would suck, but injuries and NCAA can't always be controlled. Just be upfront and honest about it. The problem is Cal has cried wolf so many times, you can't really be sure he's being honest with you. And that's an opinion shared outside of KSR and this board as well.

Just another enrollee in the Calipari NBA Training Camp in Lexington KY. Workout, practice, showcase your skills for various scouts in private workouts, get fed, get paid, take a super light class load such as Physical Activities 100, Intro to College Life 101, and so on and so forth. Tease eligibility a few times, disappear the day after the season ends, winding up at another camp out in Southern California. Be drafted and say you played at Kentucky. Reference Sharpe, Shaedon, Vanderbilt, Jared, et al.

Just another enrollee in the Calipari NBA Training Camp in Lexington KY. Workout, practice, showcase your skills for various scouts in private workouts, get fed, get paid, take a super light class load such as Physical Activities 100, Intro to College Life 101, and so on and so forth. Tease eligibility a few times, disappear the day after the season ends, winding up at another camp out in Southern California. Be drafted and say you played at Kentucky. Reference Sharpe, Shaedon, Vanderbilt, Jared, et al.
Tbf Vanderbilt actually did play. And was indeed injured. Wheeler and Sharpe? Well, I think we all know that's a different issue entirely

Cal is so cryptic with any players status, it’s hard to make heads or tails of it. But he has no reason to lie. It just ends up biting him in the ass down the road.

The story will usually come out at some point. So just be upfront as opposed to losing people’s trust.

I get it and agree. Also get the perspective that a players permanent status would cause more concern than some cramps, etc.

It is pretty funny that he is totally caught in this one though. No escaping or denying.

So Cal said he would hold him out Friday b/c he hasn't gone 5 on 5 and the University said no play until NCAA clears him

That is a team on the same page, right there. Outstanding.

Just like they were on the same page when trying to get Z eligible. The level of disconnect between Cal to the university, admissions, and even to our AD is astounding.

Cal will do everything in his power to not "rush" the NCAA so that the kid isn't exposed before the NBA draft. He was already protecting the kid's draft status before this latest news. Just watch. Cal can't get away from UK fast enough for my liking. We need a coach who is all about trying to win conference and tournament titles.
I really hope he doesn’t pull a Sharpe

I would have been good if he sad he isn’t playing until fully cleared by the ncaa none of this other misdirection crap or come see big z play and he doesn’t play at all stuff

Reason is his mouth is moving.

Yesterday, John Calipari said he anticipated Zvonimir Ivišić playing in Kentucky’s exhibition vs. Kentucky State next week. Turns out that decision is in the hands of the NCAA. UK Athletics just issued a statement saying that Ivišić cannot play against outside competition until he is cleared by the NCAA, which has yet to happen.

“As a department, we want to clarify, Zvonimir Ivišić has been cleared to practice and play in all intrasquad games. That said, he can not compete against outside competition, including exhibition games, until he is approved by the NCAA. There was miscommunication in this regard and, as we always do, we plan to adhere to NCAA rules. Until he is fully cleared, Zvonimir will be withheld from games against outside competition.”
Shaedon Sharpe all over again. He will never play a minute here.

JFC this is a joke.

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT