ADVERTISEMENT

Z doesn’t play due to defense?…ironic much?

The antonym to that musing would be Cal is a great coach joke because of his savvy defensive mind and willingness to adjust to an opponents strengths and flaws to obtain a victory.

BObekRs.jpeg

Let’s just be honest about this, he won’t play because Cal has no clue how to play him. A face up 7 footer is so far outside Cal’s comfort zone, he’ll sit him the rest of the season while crying about defense.

Cal LOVES onyenso due to the traditional style he plays.
Bingo ..Cal doesnt know what to do with a guy like Z . We have to have a back to the hoop 5 guy to throw it in to ,, even if he cant do shit with it . gross negligence .

If Tre is having some back pain go back to the small ball offense and let Z help spread the floor from the 5.

In fact stop the 2 big lineup and let Theiro start at the 4.

Let’s go back to a smaller starting lineup to get off to a better start and tempo

B
All of that hoopla to free big Z, and now Cal won’t play him apparently due to lack of defense. Isn’t that a bit odd considering we are historically bad on defense as a team?
Big Z intimidated more than anyone else the game he played a lot. Watch the replay, when people drove and he was under the basket half the time or more they didn't even try and shoot.

Strange because no offense to Bradshaw, he is a liability on defense as well.
Yep but Bradshaw is an AAU prodigy with too 10 draft projection out of high school and he won’t “give up” on him bc he cares more about getting the next top 10 recruit and what their NBA accolades look like instead of winning college basketball games and titles THIS year. Cal will be thrilled and expect us to be as well if Bradshaw is an NBA all star in 5 years even if he’s a liability and holds our season back as a freshman

We wouldn't have any players on the court if Cal only played those that played defense. Big Z isn't the only player who can't play defense. But again, maybe if Cal could teach/coach players on how to play defense.

Maybe we should apply that same logic to coaching....if you can't coach then you don't need to be out there....we can't hide you at Kentucky.

Z has more NBA pro potential than Ugo and Bradshaw combined. I have no doubt that if he were getting 20 minutes a game even at this stage he would be head and shoulders above both of them come March and most likely our missing link to making a deep run, assuming that cal ever gets his head out of his ass and does something differently, otherwise we are stuck in a shootout every game and who knows what happens there. We aren’t winning shootouts now because we aren’t getting much offensively from Ugo (except Florida game) or Bradshaw and last two games from Mitchell.

Let’s just be honest about this, he won’t play because Cal has no clue how to play him. A face up 7 footer is so far outside Cal’s comfort zone, he’ll sit him the rest of the season while crying about defense.

Cal LOVES onyenso due to the traditional style he plays.
Good point.

Cal, pregame in the locker room before the UGA game:

"Don't go like, I gotta get [Big Z] baskets! Just play ball! You'll see lobs...he's seven-two."

Cal never imagined Z shooting threes. It must have terrified him.

Yep but Bradshaw is an AAU prodigy with too 10 draft projection out of high school and he won’t “give up” on him bc he cares more about getting the next top 10 recruit and what their NBA accolades look like instead of winning college basketball games and titles THIS year. Cal will be thrilled and expect us to be as well if Bradshaw is an NBA all star in 5 years even if he’s a liability and holds our season back as a freshman
When he made that statement that he wanted to put 12 on the NBA all stars roster it was evident he doesn't give a damn about college basketball. The man wants to be in the NBA but the NBA doesn't want him.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
When he made that statement that he wanted to put 12 on the NBA all stars roster it was evident he doesn't give a damn about college basketball. The man wants to be in the NBA but the NBA doesn't want him.
Oddly I think he thinks having all these players in the NBA is a sign of his coaching and makes others look at him in a positive light. But it’s actually the opposite since he actually has accomplished very little while actually coaching the same players and makes him look quite awful as a coach.

Oddly I think he thinks having all these players in the NBA is a sign of his coaching and makes others look at him in a positive light. But it’s actually the opposite since he actually has accomplished very little while actually coaching the same players and makes him look quite awful as a coach.
He doesn't develop NBA talent he just recruits it. His X&O coaching is horrible, he is too stubborn to realize that the game has passed him by and he won't change. It is obvious the man can't coach a lick of defense.

Reactions: Kyhoward
All of that hoopla to free big Z, and now Cal won’t play him apparently due to lack of defense. Isn’t that a bit odd considering we are historically bad on defense as a team?
I know right, screw having a dude who can block some shots and run with the best of them. Pull his man out and cram 3’s down their throat. Cal is so behind the times. Keep trotting out Bradshaw who is just as lost and can’t score 90% of the time.

concept-of-dealing-with-problem.jpg

I think the game has been passing Cal by the last few years and his ego/ personality/ whatever can't accept it, especially with all of the changes happening around the game.........

He has to have his bench coaches not afraid to speak up and push-back against him sometimes, especially if there are things so obvious from a mile away.............
"Stubbornness is a characteristic in which an individual refuses to alter their view about something or a choice they’ve reached.
Stubborn people are adamant about sticking to their views and beliefs.
They also have a tremendous aversion to change, particularly when it is forced upon them by others.
To know why the elderly seem to be more obstinate, we must first understand the causes, circumstances, and environments specific to the individual."

Reactions: ala_kat2
I didn't realize our team does play defense it's new to me

Ware number 2! same stats

Again, what do these numbnuts do with our players in practice? Do any of them do any work?

Hmm, bullship. I could see some argument about rebounding but he blocked shots so the defense comment doesn't quite meet fact.

I don't wish injuries on anyone but since we're missing players every game I would love to see one where Cal didn't have access to Bradshaw, Edwards and Ugo and everyone was healthy.

I think we would be a dangerous team and Cal couldn't muck it up as easily.

I don't wish injuries on anyone but since we're missing players every game I would love to see one where Cal didn't have access to Bradshaw, Edwards and Ugo and everyone was healthy.

I think we would be a dangerous team and Cal couldn't muck it up as easily.
Nah, he would still bench Z and just run Tre until his feet were nothing but bloody stumps.

Most potential of any player on this team. Pillsbury won't play him. What a dunce we have!

After his first round loss, Cal will say, “this was a monumental season. 7 NBA All-Stars! UK basketball is the Gold Standard.”

LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: ukdaven
It doesn't look like were going to win many games this year driven by our outstanding defensive prowess. So lets go all in on scoring 120 a game, play some zone, it's very exhausting chasing through pick after pick and remain fresh, than switch to a little man back to zone, be unpredictable, press all over the floor and Big z looks like he's the best offensive big man we have if he can score somewhat like he did in that one game. And in our zone defense he will be right in front of the basket a easy to find spot.

concept-of-dealing-with-problem.jpg

I think the game has been passing Cal by the last few years and his ego/ personality/ whatever can't accept it, especially with all of the changes happening around the game.........

He has to have his bench coaches not afraid to speak up and push-back against him sometimes, especially if there are things so obvious from a mile away.............
"Stubbornness is a characteristic in which an individual refuses to alter their view about something or a choice they’ve reached.
Stubborn people are adamant about sticking to their views and beliefs.
They also have a tremendous aversion to change, particularly when it is forced upon them by others.
To know why the elderly seem to be more obstinate, we must first understand the causes, circumstances, and environments specific to the individual."

I believe your right about the game passing Cal by

I know right, screw having a dude who can block some shots and run with the best of them. Pull his man out and cram 3’s down their throat. Cal is so behind the times. Keep trotting out Bradshaw who is just as lost and can’t score 90% of the time.
i agree with you

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT