ADVERTISEMENT

Youngest team in the country

If it is just an excuse for not winning a title then I think for UK fans it is a negative. I think a lot of times Cal uses it as a crutch. If we get to a final four the I have overachieved. If not I did the best with the youngest team I could. Win win situation for Cal. I wish Cal would put as much emphasis on winning National titles as draft picks. He is good enough to do it but stubborn enough not to change.

If it is just an excuse for not winning a title then I think for UK fans it is a negative. I think a lot of times Cal uses it as a crutch. If we get to a final four the I have overachieved. If not I did the best with the youngest team I could. Win win situation for Cal. I wish Cal would put as much emphasis on winning National titles as draft picks. He is good enough to do it but stubborn enough not to change.

The problem is when that goal conflicts with the best interests of an individual athlete, and I think Cal is morally right to side with the player every time. It's tough as a fan, but right.

The crux comes at the end when despite how they performed, how many will want to leave. Without a mass exodus 2019 could be the year.

The problem is when that goal conflicts with the best interests of an individual athlete, and I think Cal is morally right to side with the player every time. It's tough as a fan, but right.
No, the problem is when the coach spends more time worrying about his players' draft statuses than in building a program that wins titles. Dynamic recruiter, not a real good in-game coach. Why don't we ask Fox what he thought of the Bamba saga?

No, the problem is when the coach spends more time worrying about his players' draft statuses than in building a program that wins titles. Dynamic recruiter, not a real good in-game coach. Why don't we ask Fox what he thought of the Bamba saga?

Good thing we don't have a coach that does that. That would suck!

Age means nothing, it's whether the pieces fit or not. I wonder how Quade Green feels right now though, Diallo and Bamba were his two closest friends who looked like they would be here and now neither will be.

6 of 8 elite 8s and people are bitchin....thst happened at amy other school they eould build a statue of him.....get some freakin perspective

Reactions: Atrain7732
Guys who don't like Cal's recruiting and emphasis on "players first" are sure going to be miserable again this season.

Bet they don't even watch the games and drastically reduce their contributions.

Reactions: Cychologist

Read his book, and you will see, your right. It's all about sending players to the NBA. If you like a coach that is going to win at least 30 games every year, Coach cal is the right person. I hope that eventually that will turn into Number 9.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Excatly. Thats why all those stacked UMASS and Memphis teams went so far....what a dbag you are.

Reactions: oldlewisville99
Get ready to hear that phrase 1000 times during the coming season.These guys will likely turn out to be very good players but we will only get to see them scratch the surface while they wear a UK uniform.It is what it is and we (UK) do what we do.

Bad come March. But yet again the '14 team had no guys with NCAA Tournament experience in their rotation and made it to the Championship game. Thank you Rex Chapman!

The issue of guys leaving for NBA/Being young at UK year in and year out isn't so much about the high end guys like Wall, Cuz, Davis, Fox, Monk..or even the mid tier first round guys like Booker, Jones, Trey Lyles, etc..

To me it boils down to why do we seemingly lose guys like Dakari Johnson, Twins, Diallo, Bam, Goodwin, Teague (got lucky as all get out to get drafted 1st round) is what I don't like about the roster turnover. Heck even Humphries and his whopping 2ppg left for his own interests.

Cal needs to find a better line for the non big time NBA guys to believe that being in college 4 years isn't a bad thing. We have that in our program and it isn't going away (save the Ky boys like Willis and Hawkins who are rare).

It would be great if Cal can do what you say which is to get the top kids to commit for one year and then the next tier to realize that four years at UK will prep them better four the NBA or life than going someplace else. But it's difficult to carry two reputations. Cal has earned the spot in the hierarchy of recruiting as the guy who would get you in one year to the NBA. So kids that (right or wrong) plan on one year in college and getting the best prep are likely to put Kentucky at the top. Kids who aren't sure and think they might want an education or to play two years or four years have other places top to go whether it's UNC or Duke or Kansas or AZ. As a result UK second tier players players are far less likely to make the right choice and come back for second or third or fourth years. The mindset that sent them to UK makes them believe they should leave.

Cal is paid by the university and people of Kentucky to put UK in the best possible position to win titles. The end. He's not paid one dollar to send kids pro ASAP. The job is to convince them to stay for the program. This has always been the job description.

Cal believes his way puts the program in the best position by utilizing players first. I'm cool with that until it hinders the ultimate goal. And it has been somewhat imo. Cal has probably cost himself a title or two by not allowing himself to play the "return" card. I think he'd pull the best even if he did, but to him he can't. I think it's ego.

He has no method to return guys and doesn't really try. If he did he would lose his recruiting pitch. He's not going to do it.

So to me it's a catch 22. We just have to hope he strings together another title in the process. If he stays he will in sure of it.

As for youth as an excuse, it doesn't fly. Cal builds the roster exactly how he wants it. If I prefer to buy a used car, I can't complain when the car isn't brand new.

LOL. Yeah Cal has been awful here. He can't coach at all. The 2011 OSU and UNC games did not happen...neither did 2014 WST, UL, Michigan and Wisconsin (allwithout WCS except WST). Give me a break...the guy took UMASS and Memphis to the final four...he beat 96 UK. You sir know NOTHING aobut basketball.

I don't think it's going to be a very enjoyable year. Yes, we have the No. 1 recruiting class again, but this isn't dominant like the classes from '09, '13 or '15. A couple of these guys could prove me wrong, but I don't see any transcendent stars in this recruiting class. None of them jumped off the screen in the all-star games. Granted, Gilgeous-Alexander and Vanderbilt were improving rapidly, but nobody owned any of those games like Monk, Fox, Briscoe, Murray and others have done in recent years. If we're going to have a team with zero experience, it needs to be head-and-shoulders above the rest in talent, and I don't see that. We'll be able to hold our own with the freshmen on other teams, but the difference is those freshmen will have experienced teammates. We will have no experience. I think we'll take more lumps than usual next year, and I'm not looking forward to us. I foresee it reminding us of '13 and '14 (before the Tweak salvaged that year).

I don't think it's going to be a very enjoyable year. Yes, we have the No. 1 recruiting class again, but this isn't dominant like the classes from '09, '13 or '15. A couple of these guys could prove me wrong, but I don't see any transcendent stars in this recruiting class. None of them jumped off the screen in the all-star games. Granted, Gilgeous-Alexander and Vanderbilt were improving rapidly, but nobody owned any of those games like Monk, Fox, Briscoe, Murray and others have done in recent years. If we're going to have a team with zero experience, it needs to be head-and-shoulders above the rest in talent, and I don't see that. We'll be able to hold our own with the freshmen on other teams, but the difference is those freshmen will have experienced teammates. We will have no experience. I think we'll take more lumps than usual next year, and I'm not looking forward to us. I foresee it reminding us of '13 and '14 (before the Tweak salvaged that year).

GIve me a break. Knox is a stud.

All other things being equal---

Experience > Youth

But all other things are far from equal, and talent is a great equalizer.

GIve me a break. Knox is a stud.
He didn't stand out in the postseason games. The only one who did even a little was Vanderbilt in the Jordan game before he got hurt (well, Gilgeous-Alexander, too, against weaker competition in the Derby Festival Classic).

Expect to see this team go the way of the Julius Randle team in the regular season. Not sure how they will do once the dance starts but I see them taking their lumps. They have the potential to be better than that team come tournament time and regular season but to start the season as they adjust expect to see kinks being worked out

He feels they did what they felt is best for them. A real friend is not going to feel any negative way if you don't make the same decision as you. I'm sure all of us have friends who didn't make the same decision we did and I'm willing to bet it didn't change you're friendship. Sure you wish you're friend did what you did but you are still just as cool with them as before.

Bamba did what he felt was best for him and maybe he looked at Allen, who went to Texas, and figured he may or may not win as much as UK but he will get drafted higher anyway just like Allen will get drafted higher than Bam

Age means nothing, it's whether the pieces fit or not. I wonder how Quade Green feels right now though, Diallo and Bamba were his two closest friends who looked like they would be here and now neither will be.

He feels they did what they felt is best for them. A real friend is not going to feel any negative way if you don't make the same decision as you. I'm sure all of us have friends who didn't make the same decision we did and I'm willing to bet it didn't change you're friendship. Sure you wish you're friend did what you did but you are still just as cool with them as before.

Bamba did what he felt was best for him and maybe he looked at Allen, who went to Texas, and figured he may or may not win as much as UK but he will get drafted higher anyway just like Allen will get drafted higher than Bam
I do think that was part of why Cal took Green over waiting for Young though.IMO he might have believed it would help them land Diallo and Bamba.Didn't quite work out.

I agree. It's better to take a definite over a strong possible. Cal wanted both though but at least he got one in green

I do think that was part of why Cal took Green over waiting for Young though.IMO he might have believed it would help them land Diallo and Bamba.Didn't quite work out.

That all depends. Most of the time sure, but not in every case.

As far as the Bamba / Allen / Bam comment, Bam is just not a great big man. Allen is better and now has more experience. Cal has sent Ad, Cousins, Randle, Noel, KAT, etc. this has noting to do with freakin Allen at Texas.

I can help you. DON'T WATCH. And you can help me. DON'T POST. I might have one too many drinks, forget your name and read it.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when Cal finally leaves and his replacement doesn't produce half as well. Then all these genuises will be bitching about something else.

Actually, I won't be laughing my ass off since I won't want us to do badly, but it works better if I say that.

You are wrong on all accounts except the recruiting comment. You need to hang out on your board and stop baiting on here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT