ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

Yeah, who would want a guy that started for a team that made it to the national championship, was the leading scorer in the elite 8 and hit a buzzer beater in the Final Four.

We need guards who can’t play defense, can’t win a game in the tournament, and only care about the NBA Draft status. 😂

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
He literally LED his team to the national championship game, hit the game winner in the final four and was named all tournament team.

Yet somehow people are saying if he is our starting point guard we're in trouble, all the while ignoring reality and history

Even though he's not an elite shooter, he can still bring value on offense. He's pretty effective at getting to rim, dictating pace, and getting shots for others. Shot isn't broken either. Looks fine and his percentage wasn't awful. I'd predict it improves given the new system and surrounding personnel

Reactions: University-6
I love it! My main goal of what I wanted as a fan was to have a SMART, good defensive team that had guys who can hit threes.

Pope is slowly building that.

Reactions: ORCAT10
He literally LED his team to the national championship game, hit the game winner in the final four and was named all tournament team.

Yet somehow people are saying if he is our starting point guard we're in trouble, all the while ignoring reality and history
Woah, woah, woah. You mean this guy didn’t lose in the first weekend of the tournament and isn’t a freshman that can’t play defense and only cares about his draft status?

He’s clearly not the guard for us 😂

UK needs a whole roster. Keep em coming Coach Pope
We almost have enough to play five on five. 😂 I’m all about it.

Pope has landed two solid players so far. We get some guys who can hit threes and we can be off to a great start.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTyrone
Yeah, I don’t get it either. Dude is a player. i’m actually excited for this guy.
People are crazy. It’s just different so despite saying they don’t want a team of one and dones, they’re upset at getting actual vets.

Yeah who would want a guy that started for a team that made it to the national championship, was the leading scorer in the elite 8 and hit a buzzer beater in the Final Four.

People would bitch if we got the Joker - complaining that he is out of shape and doesn’t play great post defense.
That goshdurn Jordan ain't nothing but an athlete!

HE CAN'T SHOOOOOOOOT!!!

All world and all time defense? Unstoppable mid-range? Great passer? Can't stop him around the basket?

WHO CARES?

Bring on Craig Ehlo!!!

Reactions: TM2013
Man.Kid can't shoot or hit free throws.

Just a heads up. Lamont is not a bad free throw shooter. He started last season in a horrible free throw slump thru the first 10 games or so. He recovered to shoot his normal clip down the stretch.

To see Lamont's normal free throw shooting I would check his first 3 years as an Aztec.

Reactions: 1war and BassProCat
Yep, our elite guards last year gave up an insane amount of points.
All year this past season we did not have one guard who could play on the ball defense. Butler as I understand it was defensive POY in his conference so I assume he can do that.
Now, we need to get better players to go along with him, I get it.
But hoping that this is a small piece of the puzzle.

Hilarious that all the Cal haters aren't satisfied with a player who started for a team that made it to the final game. They want top players. Like Cal got. Guys they all swore had their eyes on the NBA.
Y'all need to hush, and let Pope pick his team. He knows the assignment.

Shooting 34% from 3 is essentially shooting 51% from 2.

It’s not “bad”. It’s basically D1 avg. and if you take that with good defense it’s not a bad pickup

Hilarious that all the Cal haters aren't satisfied with a player who started for a team that made it to the final game. They want top players. Like Cal got. Guys they all swore had their eyes on the NBA.
Y'all need to hush, and let Pope pick his team. He knows the assignment.
It's actually pretty hilarious. 😂

Reactions: ftp000
30% from 3 and 3 assists a game. Yeah that's a good floor general....can't have a non shooter at the 1 in 2024.
Doesn't SDS run a slow-down offense, focusing mainly on defense? 3 assists not as bad as it may seem. In an uptempo offense that would likely be 5 while not great is till pretty good

Keep the faith brother. We are going to be so happy to hold teams under 90 next year.

Go Cats!
Get some more studs Pope.
I just don’t understand what has happened to this forum. I’ve never seen such ignorance ever. I would like to say it’s just a bunch of trolls but that’s not the truth.

Either you are all-in or you jump ship. The whiny ass attitudes are shameful and embarrassing to me as a Big Blue brother. I’m done with give up attitudes and the finger pointing. Best thing that could have ever happened with Cal leaving happened. We need to believe and back the process , or those that can’t need to perhaps change allegiance….. sooner than later I hope.

Unfortunately we're in the middle of a program identity crisis where many of our fans wanted us to move away from elite one and done talent and wanted more traditional, possible below the radar guys who may stick around. And as predictable as it seems, as we're heading in that direction with guys we probably haven't watched much of for various reasons, complaints are popping up that they may not deserve to be at UK because they're not good enough. We just gotta let things play out and realize most of our team this season will comprise of a lot of west coast type guys we maybe haven't seen because we were asleep as they played for their former teams. That doesn't mean they suck.

Reactions: Pmalone6719
It’s hilarious that in 2024 people still think how many points a guy averages tells you how good he is. In general, the only thing it tells you is how many shots he takes.

The guy was the starting PG on the national runner up from last year and fans are poo-pooing his commitment?

I’m just really excited that we won’t look at our roster and see Fr, Fr, Fr, Fr, Fr anymore.
Some of these people are nuts. Great that they care about UK but they are not very knowledgeable about the game. This kid will be a great addition.

Reactions: Jkwo and seccats04
i trust this staff more than a lot of posters on here. They have coached a lot more games that anyone on here. If the staff wants him I am good with that. Just trust this staff.

Damn, cmon guys.
Butler is an absolute winner. Valuable experience and is a flat out great defender.
He wants to win, doesn't give a shit if it's starting or coming off the bench.
A great addition and I can't wait until some have to eat crow over some ridiculous statements.
Welcome to BBN Lamont Butler.
I’m excited. I just feel like we get Mahaney too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT