ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, you're right. What was I thinking? Cal and Tubby are most certainly equals when it comes to coaching basketball because they've both won the same amount of Championships, and nothing else matters.
That is what it is all about champ, is this John Hood?

Why is it so hard to believe that a coach saying their objective was to get guys drafted rather than win a championship would anger some fans? Personally I have no doubt that Cal wants to win as many championships as possible, and I doubt those fans disagree. But I just don't see the benefit in saying something like this. Saying it once, sure, maybe that lets recruits know he's focused on them. But repeating year after year - and especially saying it was more important, apparently, than winning a championship - gets old, and maybe some fans have reached the point where they've heard it enough.

Why is it so hard to believe that a coach saying their objective was to get guys drafted rather than win a championship would anger some fans? Personally I have no doubt that Cal wants to win as many championships as possible, and I doubt those fans disagree. But I just don't see the benefit in saying something like this. Saying it once, sure, maybe that lets recruits know he's focused on them. But repeating year after year - and especially saying it was more important, apparently, than winning a championship - gets old, and maybe some fans have reached the point where they've heard it enough.
Great post, I agree with you. However, get ready to get called a troll because of your opinion that differs from Cal as well as your low post count. That is just the type of immaturity that is accepted on this board for some reason. Some on here think Cal is a savior and cannot do no wrong, it is some odd obsessions that people have.

I just cannot find beef with someone who doesn't prefer this sort of speech. I agree. Like I've said, Cal basher bashers are not as bad as real Cal Bashers, but sometimes they just repeat themselves because they walk a blind road.

Great post, I agree with you. However, get ready to get called a troll because of your opinion that differs from Cal as well as your low post count. That is just the type of immaturity that is accepted on this board for some reason. Some on here think Cal is a savior and cannot do no wrong, it is some odd obsessions that people have.

But saying things like Tubby is as good as Cal isn't going to help your cause. It's not a very moderate or realistic opinion.

Dude, you are liking a Duke Fan. He's here to make you look like an idiot. You two know each other maybe?

i'd rather Uk win titles than get one and dones into the nba
We have more than anyone except UCLA including the most recent one by Cal and a runner up and 2 additional final fours in 6 years plus a ton of NBA picks. Why does it have to be either or?

Oops, sorry, looks like we outed you, huh? You enjoy your cakewalk championship this year? Funny you digging on Cal after that 15 > 2 trip.
Ha, I wouldn't say 'outed' since my first post said I was a Duke grad. But my wife's family is from Monticello (KY) so I follow the Cats and in general think Cal is underrated as a coach. Re: this year's tourney, yeah, we ended up having some luck in terms of who we played and some calls against WI. But like UK showed this year, the best team often doesn't win...

Reactions: Jkwo
Ha, I wouldn't say 'outed' since my first post said I was a Duke grad. But my wife's family is from Monticello (KY) so I follow the Cats and in general think Cal is underrated as a coach. Re: this year's tourney, yeah, we ended up having some luck in terms of who we played and some calls against WI. But like UK showed this year, the best team often doesn't win...

You ever listen to Carly Simon? You bet I was talkin' about you? Go back and look at the post again. We KNOW what you are. Though I bet that was a tough degree with reading skills like yours.

Naw, I was talking about your buddy Joe.

I actually work with a Duke grad. He has difficulty with reading skills, comprehension and attention span as well. Don't feel bad. Otherwise he's a decent sort if you keep him away from anything with moving parts or electricity.

Too funny. You are spending time on a damn message board obsessing over someones opinion about a damn ballgame! Who's in mourning? Who here would compare their Mom passing away to a "ballgame"? Did you make that up? Come on now!

BTW, there were ADULTS playing in that game two months ago. But I do love the "kid" angle that is thrown around like these guys aren't elitist athletes that have the world in their hands. LOL! I wonder what Willie would say if you actually called him a "kid" to his face. I bet that would be really funny.

I collect high end sports memorabilia, cards, money, and play around with UK basketball as my hobby. Since being on this board right now is not a hobby to you, what exactly do you call what you're doing right now? Just wondering.

The cal basher bashers don't always have a good look. haha.

Oh it's a hobby for me, but I choose to not let it affect me negatively as far as emotions go. I spend more time laughing at the village idiots in this massive fanbase than I do getting upset over coachspeak or the results of an athletic competition played months ago that I had NO part in determining the outcome. Yeah, I was upset when we lost to Wisconsin, but I was over it by Tuesday morning.

I think pissing and moaning about a coach who has elevated this program to heights it hasn't reached since the late 90s is asinine and idiotic.

Go look at joejoe's post in this very thread. He used the term mourning. That's piss poor. It's just sports that none of us play. I could understand someone who actually played in the game to take a while to get over it, but fans still whining two months after the fact makes a lot of us look like petulant children who somehow base their self worth on what young adults (that better?) do on a basketball court.

And I know you honestly believe the stuff you spout and fancy yourself as some kind of brilliant "realist," but in reality you often times come across as one of those negative fans who think they know more than a HOF coach because they played high school ball or coached fifth-graders at the local rec center.

The "Cal basher bashers" don't look nearly as bad as the "know-it-all armchair experts" who to my knowledge have a Division I coaching record of 0-0 just like the rest of us.

Oh it's a hobby for me, but I choose to not let it affect me negatively as far as emotions go. I spend more time laughing at the village idiots in this massive fanbase than I do getting upset over coachspeak or the results of an athletic competition played months ago that I had NO part in determining the outcome. Yeah, I was upset when we lost to Wisconsin, but I was over it by Tuesday morning.

I think pissing and moaning about a coach who has elevated this program to heights it hasn't reached since the late 90s is asinine and idiotic.

Go look at joejoe's post in this very thread. He used the term mourning. That's piss poor. It's just sports that none of us play. I could understand someone who actually played in the game to take a while to get over it, but fans still whining two months after the fact makes a lot of us look like petulant children who somehow base their self worth on what young adults (that better?) do on a basketball court.

And I know you honestly believe the stuff you spout and fancy yourself as some kind of brilliant "realist," but in reality you often times come across as one of those negative fans who think they know more than a HOF coach because they played high school ball or coached fifth-graders at the local rec center.

The "Cal basher bashers" don't look nearly as bad as the "know-it-all armchair experts" who to my knowledge have a Division I coaching record of 0-0 just like the rest of us.

Naw, not much better.

You didn't really dismiss my post, you just started talking differently.

You are doing what tons of posters around here do. Who is pissing and moaning? WHO? 4 people out of 400 on the topic? Why are you basing an argument over what you claim ONE fan says? All the faux outrage in the world will not change the fact that you're arguing lots of things that are made up, by you. Cal's job approval rating right now probably sits at 90% of real UK fans like you and myself. Do some people have some issues with his methods? Well yea, they always have. Cal just said something 99% of coaches not only will not say, but would probably openly disagree with ,at minimum, the wording. Yet some people can't let it go that not everyone is going to agree with it, no matter the results. It's life, I'd suggest you accept the fact that when people disagree, they aren't necessarily "moaning". Most of the people moaning in this thread are people that are attacking a very small percent of the board who simply disagree with it. You "moan" a lot about traditional fans. And?

Why do you keep talking about what part you or someone played in the actual games on the court? This is another strange thing you'll see on this board from time to time. What the hell does that have to do with a fans role? Fans have always been fans, and they don't play the game. I'll tell ya what, you write the rule book on how much a fan can care, and how long he can care, and we will all try and adhere to it.

The only points I was really making were about your original take. And really, the hobby comment you made which is ridiculous. So I'll leave it there.

If not continue to rip cal for his comments. I'm sure that will help keep him in lex. If you are satisfied with occasionally being relevant then keep working to run cal off. Cal is a players coach and this is a players game. We could not have a better coach than a guy who cares first for kids. I don't like the one and done...I want to get to know the players but newsflash cal doesn't like the oad either. I know people are frustrated we lost the undefeated year...I know they are frustrated bc of recruiting misses but it's time to regroup and cheer like hell for the final four caliber team we have for next year and quit hanging on to a few words cal has said. I'm sure he is disappointed by our ultimate result and this rhetoric is not going to help him or our team bring the A game next year.

I only have one question I would like those who believe this to answer.

Why as the year went on you seen more play at the most important position on the court from a young man that had a 0% chance of leaving for the draft this year?

Besides Ulis playing more, this time on the court was at the expense of a young man who needed more time on the court to better his dropping draft status.

Just my opinion. But I think Cal went with Ulis because it gave us the best chance to WIN. And had nothing to do with getting anyone drafted.

Good effort, but those with their minds made up won't listen. They have no idea how good we have it now.

What I don't get is that Cal references the fans, does things to include the fans, and genuinely thanks the fans for all their support. He does all this more often than he makes statements that upsets part of the fanbase. It's like if he doesn't constantly stroke the fanbase's ego, certain parts of the fanbase gets upset.
I agree that he usually does a fine job in that department, but the last thing alot of fans want to hear is that gettings kids drafted is his main priority. Sometimes its better to keep certain opinions to yourself, and imo this was one opinion cal needed to hang onto.

As long as the Players want to win championships it does not really matter. To me it is just coach talk. Would bet money he cares more about winning than he lets on.

Anyone who thinks Coach Cal's or any other coach's number 1 priority is anything other than winning games needs their head examined.

The way he accomplishes this is by recruiting the "best of the best".

And the way he recruits the "best of the best" is by saying things that appeal to the "best of the best" like saying the goal was to get 8 guys drafted.

So if I'm a big time recruit who's dream is to play in league, then where am I going or highly considering going? That's right...the place where I have the best chance of being drafted.

The results of this strategy is having a heavily talented roster year in and year out that gives you the best chance to win a title EVERY single year.

This is what Cal meant when he said if we help them reach their dreams (nba) they'll help us reach ours (banners).

People may not like it and that's fine but understand that this is THE reason we are having so much success right now and as a fan, why wouldn't you want that?!

Last edited:
Reactions: brianpoe
It is time to move on and I hope Coach Cal finds another topic to talk about and leaves this in his rear view mirror. As UK fans we are happy he is our coach and we only want what is best for the players. I can only speak for myself but my goal as a fan is to see my University hang an NCAA Championship banner. Final Fours are nice but if we are going to get to the final four let's win it. Coach only has one out of six so maybe the law of averages will break his way and we can go on a streak of winning the whole thing once we get there.

Coach K and Duke went through a dry spell when he was a young coach and came up short in the Final Four but now if he gets there he usually takes home the trophy. Kentucky can do that too and I think we have the coach to make that happen.

Go Coach Cal, Go Cats and Go UK fans. We are all in this together.

Reactions: donkat
Did we really need another thread on the same topic?

To answer your question he's looking for sustained success. And you do that by bringing in top talent year after year, which he has done. He's trying for the Jordan effect. UNC got 20 years worth of top HS talent just because Michael Jordan was identified with UNC basketball. Now with Wall, Cousins, Davis, etc... being top players in the NBA, UK can do the same.

Where do you keep reading this? I haven't seen this anywhere.

Coach K wins championships because of the calls he gets like in the second half of the Wisconsin game. He didn't get those calls early in his career.

Reactions: WhiteCityCat1
Our fans would not be happy if we won a championship ever year. Then the argument would be that we didn't win by enough. No matter what happens we will not be happy.

As long a UK is in the top 20, wins a high majority of their games, never gets blown out, and at least makes the second weekend of the tourney year in and year out then I am satisfied. So all in all I am more than satisfied with the way things have been in our program's current era.

I agree that he usually does a fine job in that department, but the last thing alot of fans want to hear is that gettings kids drafted is his main priority. Sometimes its better to keep certain opinions to yourself, and imo this was one opinion cal needed to hang onto.
I agree Cal should not have said what he did.

What he said is fine to me. Works both ways.
There are plenty of people who could care less about what happens to the players in the future also. They just care about winning a title and the players are just tools to accomplish that.

yes,......how many times have we seen a poster say something to the effect of "I don't care what they do after they leave here, I just care about them while they ARE here?"

If either of my boys had even a modicum of sports ability - I'd want their coach to look out for THEIR best interests.

Reactions: brianpoe and Jkwo
National Championship are so hard to win...even with a great team, it takes even more. Getting hot at the right time, some luck, lack of injuries, etc all factor in. We are extremely fortunate right now to be knocking on the door year in and year out and we are the only team that realistically has/can do it every year. What more could you ask for?

Reactions: brianpoe
Next coach the complaint will be about not getting elite recruits and being mystified by it because we got the best tradishen . "Even BCG can recruit here because Kentucky sells Kentucky". Reality is coming , almost there .

Titles are tough. Yes, it's frustrating in the moment to get there and not finish and UK just flat blew this year but this kind of success isn't likely to be repeated for the next coach. If we can get another title out of Cal I would be thrilled. The good thing is the majority does believe in Cal and are happy with things. He may very well leave for the NBA but I think that's more about personal goals then the pressue from the fan base. If he really cared about fans' opinion, he wouldn't talk about the kid's goals over the team's goals. He would pander to the fa base and he doesn't always do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT