ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, Duke is in fact the school Cal was referring to.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
This video is old, but I hope it serves as a reminder to Duke fans about some of the core issues at play right now.

Months ago, there was speculation that Duke had recently adopted a practice of taking shots at Kentucky on the recruiting trail. Some went so far as to note that the chief practitioner behind the mud slinging was Jeff Capel, the Duke assistant coach who Coach K brought in to revitalize a declining Duke program. Capel answered the call, but questions have persisted as to whether his methods are ethical.

Calipari addressed the "Duke issue" last spring. In a press conference he downplayed his own references to Duke, stating that he wasn't singularly calling out Duke. But if one listens carefully to his rebuttal, it is clear, particularly at the end of the PC, that he is referring to Duke.

Here are some highlights of the presser, and I'll post the video at the end:

"That post was in a general sense....So I go in a house and I start talking about the academics and what we're doing here. So we walk in and I'm talking academically what we do and our kids and Alex and this and this, and we're talking servant leadership, and the mother looks at me and says, 'All you talk about is the NBA.' Excuse me? I just walked in...and that's when I said, what is being said out here...Normally I say when you throw a rock in a pack of dogs, the one you hit starts yelping. That should have hit about fifteen heads, not just one."

But what was the one school that cried about it on their twitter account?

Drum roll....

Duke.

Duke is serving up some interesting narratives on the recruiting trail, taking direct aim at Kentucky, and promoting a mythology that UK is solely preoccupied with the NBA. This has been a brilliant strategy by Coach K, Capel, and the rest of the Duke staff to promote their recruiting methodology through three fronts:

1. Promote K's NBA-connection to Team USA
2. Overvalue Duke's "lifelong" benefit system
3. Undervalue Kentucky's "lifelong" benefit system

Kentucky's name is coming up in Duke recruiting visits in an effort to disparage UK's advantages.
For Duke fans curious as to why UK fans have taken on a special loathing for their program in recent months, this is the major reason - especially when it is being promoted by a head coach who has recently copied UK's OAD approach after years of publically calling for an end to OAD.

Here's the video:

Last edited:
With Cal sending dozens to the NBA you can expect more of this. UK stars will rule across the world.
k-bigpic.jpg

We've set the bar for them before as well. K followed what Pitino was doing at UK also. He shifted to a more fluid, fast paced "paste" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:offense and started having his teams press after the '96 championship. We are the bar, needle, mack daddy, grand pumba, etc, etc, etc. The greatest form of flattery is immolation.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The big phony in Durham was so worried about HIS legacy and how HE would be perceived that he had to do something. He is just a huge hypocrite that I really dislike. Can't stomach phonies, of which he is the utmost one.

Rats are sneaky and dirty and Splinter is among the worst at being sneaky, I would have thought he would have never tolerated a player like Allen doing what he did over and over. Looking at Splinter he fits the bill, good coach but not squeaky clean by a long shot, way to many people view him as a saint.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Take it for what it's worth but we have heard from our insiders for at least the last year+ that UK negatively recruits against and actively disparages Duke with recruits.

In other words, Cal throws it out there without saying any names. Duke cries about it. Duke is then the guilty party with a guilty conscious. Duke took the bait hook, line and sinker. Cal didn't have to individually call them out. Duke did that themselves. That damn Swaggy Cal is genius.

Take it for what it's worth but we have heard from our insiders for at least the last year+ that UK negatively recruits against and actively disparages Duke with recruits.
Cal actively puts it in the public eye that he DOES NOT negative recruit. He says it every season multiple times. So if he really was I am sure the recruits and their families would call him out on it.

He is one of the most biased Dukies ever; probably thinks K could cure cancer if he ONLY had the time.

He doesn't have the time. He's too busy dying his hair, and at his age, that takes a while. I will never understand why any 70 year old man thinks he can fool people by dying his hair black. What a schmuck.

Reactions: sdryan2
Cal should feel flattered when a hall of fame coach, a legend in coaching, changes his entire recruiting method to copy what he has been doing for years. Cal made the onendone the way to recruit and win with. Coach K used to tell any media person that would listen that recruiting kids that plan on going pro after just one year in college was wrong and bad for college basketball. I just wonder what changed that mindset with K? The man knew if he allowed Cal to sign all the best recruits to Kentucky, the odds of Duke beating Kentucky for national championships didn't look good. If you can't beat the man, join in on what he is doing. Cal should smile every time K recruits, signs and starts a kid that is going pro after just one season playing college basketball.

We've set the bar for them before as well. K followed what Pitino was doing at UK also. He shifted to a more fluid, fast paced "paste" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:offense and started having his teams press after the '96 championship. We are the bar, needle, mack daddy, grand pumba, etc, etc, etc. The greatest form of flattery is immolation.[/QUOTE]

I wish Duke would flatter us by self immolation

Reactions: Ripamaru and Blueaz
Would love nothing more than to play Duke in the Final and have Krybabyski announce his retirement right before the game ala Wooden in 1975 v UK but this time the Cats wax Duke's ass and send Ratface into his permanent hole in the wall for good.

I never can understand why do Duke, Kansas, etc., fans come to this board and post crap about your coach , players, hell anything? Nobody cares what duke fans say no matter how important you think you are. Really.. just go away.

I never can understand why do Duke, Kansas, etc., fans come to this board and post crap about your coach , players, hell anything? Nobody cares what duke fans say no matter how important you think you are. Really.. just go away.

Louisville isn't our only little brother. As a matter of fact, all of college basketball basically calls UK daddy. Fans of other blue bloods come to this board looking for approval from daddy like all children do. :)

Would love nothing more than to play Duke in the Final and have Krybabyski announce his retirement right before the game ala Wooden in 1975 v UK but this time the Cats wax Duke's ass and send Ratface into his permanent hole in the wall for good.
That's a nice sentiment, but you really think the refs/NCAA would allow Duke to lose K's last game? That would be the biggest fix in sports history. We'd have to forfeit after the entire team fouled out in the first 10 minutes.

Reactions: KailuaCat
Louisville isn't our only little brother. As a matter of fact, all of college basketball basically calls UK daddy. Fans of other blue bloods come to this board looking for approval from daddy like all children do. :)

[cheers] /thread.

Board for Bandwagon Duke Fans ------------------------->

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT