ADVERTISEMENT

Yenser (DB, LB, and DL coaches too) signs contract extension

Yenser has nothing to do with the slow operation. That's all on the OC. Those long play calls and shifts take the play clock. I guarantee you the ol doesn't want to be in their stance forever. It's exhausting.

The other snap count issue was dropped passes. Again nothing to do with the OL.

The OL had issues against bama that were compounded by wrs getting zero separation. That made Leary hold the ball a bit longer. Bad combo
Agreed on the shift and slow operation….but to finish basically third from bottom in most offensive stats….with Ray Davis , Leary and what 4 Sr Oline…….and you think the coaches are all fine and dandy?

I’m usually a Stoops guy…but he’s losing me as a supporter with his handling of this side of ball again

I don’t mind yenser getting another year. The Line improved from last year by a good margin. Idk what some of you expected. They were never going to jump from being awful to being elite. If they do a good job in the portal I think they’ll be better again.

Our o-line may have improved some from Yenser‘s first year but the discipline took a major step back. We got flagged for penalties in the middle of crucial drives all season. Lack of focus by the players sits squarely on the coach’s shoulders.

I dunno what to make of this anymore. On the surface, it is appears that Yenser is anywhere from a mediocre at best to a terrible at worst OL coach. But sometimes appearances can be wrong. I can remember all of the same criticisms that are being thrown at Yenser now also being thrown at Schlarman during his first few seasons at UK. Perhaps people have selective memories but Schlarman was absolutely singled out and skewered on these forums as a subpar coach. His lines couldn't run block. They could pass block. They were responsible for penalty after penalty. The majority of the board wanted him fired. You can include me in that group. But then suddenly the OL started playing better. And before long, Schlarman's OL was one of the best units we had on the field. Suddenly the guy everyone had been hating on became beloved. The doubters (including me) were proven to be terribly wrong.

Now, I don't want to say the situations between Schlarman and Yenser are comparable. Schlarman took over after the Joker Philips disaster and our roster was simply bare of SEC quality talent. He had to build his line from scratch. Yenser inherited a much better situation, but perhaps not as good as many people initially thought. The cupboard wasn't as bare as it was back in 2013, but Yenser no longer had most of the best talent Schlarman had recruited and developed. The OL was going to take a serious step backwards no matter who was coaching them, as we experienced an obvious drop-off in talent about the time Yenser arrived.

Now, who is to say what will happen? Yenser may very well stink things up again next season. That would not surprise me at all. He certainly has shown me much yet. And nothing on his resume suggests he has anything much to show. But obviously this coaching staff believes in him to retain him after two subpar seasons. There's gotta be a reason for that. Hopefully his third season here will be the charm and the line will show significant improvement. I certainly hope so. All we can do in the meantime is hope things work out. And perhaps we should take a wait and see approach with Yenser and give him another season to get things going the right direction. I don't expect him to become another Schlarman, but he might be a much better coach than we've been able to see thus far.

Reactions: K_TIME
I gotta admit, this surprises me. Our secondary was the absolute worst. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt here for now but if we open next season playing that soft zone bullshit, I’m gonna go apeshit. Our defensive secondary cost us the South Carolina, Tennessee, and maybe the Missouri game.
Yep

Was UK really that good up front....

- Yards per game...334 yards....we were 11th in SEC (ahead of Vandy, Miss St and Ark
- Rush yard per game....131 yards....12th (head of only Vandy and USC)
- Pass yards per game...204 yards...11th (ahead of Auburn, Ark and Miss St)
- Total points per game (most meaningful stat)....28 pts a game and 8th in SEC...not bad.

After the Florida game....we didn't really run the ball well. I just think the physicality of the offense is in near shambles and we went from being worst Oline to like 3rd worst...so that is progress enough? If Leach had not passed unexpectedly....we'd been down there with Vandy and Arkansas as worst offense.

Keeping Yenser signals our staff doesn't value getting back to that physical style and we'll throw it around is the plan...not sure that is the best idea. I thought it was not good move to can Scangerello and keep Yenser a year ago...it seems downright silly to stick with him yet alone an extension.
We were dead last in total rushes at 316 which was 85 carries less than the nearest team while we were third in the conference in ypa at 4.97. I’m not a Yenser fan and those numbers may be skewed due to top (how would they have moved if we ran 100 more times which is the SEC average) but the numbers don’t lie. I really think Coen hurt us this year by not running the ball more, Mizzou game in particular.

"After a rough start in his first season where the Big Blue Wall allowed more sacks than any other Power Five program, the Cats showed improvement up front in 2022. Kentucky tied for third in the SEC in sacks allowed (20) and fourth in tackles for loss allowed (62) while paving the way for Ray Davis to rush for more than 1,000 yards."

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...tball-assistants-receive-contract-extensions/

I guess there was notable improvement on the o-line. I hadn't realized that.
I think we did a lot better in protection because we kept our TEs in a lot to help the tackles, probably wouldn’t have mattered since Coen’s focus was forcing the ball to Brown.

I really think Coen hurt us this year by not running the ball more, Mizzou game in particular.
Combine our drops with our forcing the ball deep, with drops, and our offense lost the consistency it might otherwise have had.

Oddly, against U of L our receivers and Tight Ends made heavily contested catches, and then the running game clicked late in the game.

There was improvement over 2022, and by this extension, we see who those in the Football offices felt was responsible for the utter cluster on the O-line/offense last year. He’s been gone a year, now.

Just me but I don’t think he means Mark.
I love Mark Stoops. I've been one of his loudest defenders. Mike Stoops is really bad. our linebacker play regressed all year, he can't recruit and I know for a fact most of the players hate him. All he does is scream.

• Wow
Reactions: entropy13
This probably epitomizes where we are with Stoops. He identifies a fall guy floats out they are looking to make changes to keep hope alive but then really don’t make any or it’s marginal. At their best, these guys are ‘serviceable’. You aren’t going to advance or even keep up in the sec with ‘serviceable’. Tell me where a new idea is going to come from or recruiting advances. Every day forward feels more and more like the recent stretch of years for Calipari. Stale, stale, stale.

I dunno what to make of this anymore. On the surface, it is appears that Yenser is anywhere from a mediocre at best to a terrible at worst OL coach. But sometimes appearances can be wrong. I can remember all of the same criticisms that are being thrown at Yenser now also being thrown at Schlarman during his first few seasons at UK. Perhaps people have selective memories but Schlarman was absolutely singled out and skewered on these forums as a subpar coach. His lines couldn't run block. They could pass block. They were responsible for penalty after penalty. The majority of the board wanted him fired. You can include me in that group. But then suddenly the OL started playing better. And before long, Schlarman's OL was one of the best units we had on the field. Suddenly the guy everyone had been hating on became beloved. The doubters (including me) were proven to be terribly wrong.

Now, I don't want to say the situations between Schlarman and Yenser are comparable. Schlarman took over after the Joker Philips disaster and our roster was simply bare of SEC quality talent. He had to build his line from scratch. Yenser inherited a much better situation, but perhaps not as good as many people initially thought. The cupboard wasn't as bare as it was back in 2013, but Yenser no longer had most of the best talent Schlarman had recruited and developed. The OL was going to take a serious step backwards no matter who was coaching them, as we experienced an obvious drop-off in talent about the time Yenser arrived.

Now, who is to say what will happen? Yenser may very well stink things up again next season. That would not surprise me at all. He certainly has shown me much yet. And nothing on his resume suggests he has anything much to show. But obviously this coaching staff believes in him to retain him after two subpar seasons. There's gotta be a reason for that. Hopefully his third season here will be the charm and the line will show significant improvement. I certainly hope so. All we can do in the meantime is hope things work out. And perhaps we should take a wait and see approach with Yenser and give him another season to get things going the right direction. I don't expect him to become another Schlarman, but he might be a much better coach than we've been able to see thus far.
I like this frame of mind....it's not as clear cut a call. But a few things I go a different direction...

1. Schlarman...we were bad at everything offensively first year and not a ton better in year 2 under Stoops. (and I am sure people were calling for heads to roll a bit).

- But year 3 we picked up a good bit 11th in rush yards (153 per game) but 9th in scoring was a bit of breaththrough (29 pts per game).
- From the rest of Schlarman's time....we were average or better in rushing per game in SEC. The Bowden year we led SEC in rushing, finished like top 3/4 in rushing a few times. And to be fair, we were then starting to recruit in Stoops first years...and those kids (Nick Haynes, Jon Toth, Kyle Meadows, George Asoki-Adoji, Bunchy Stallings, etc...) had to have to develop into 3rd year players thru Strength and Conditioning.

2. Yenser...I get his first year we had losses of Fortner, Rosenthal and Kinnard.....but we had guys like Horsey, Cox, Auburn transfer portal, Flax was a Jr, etc.. and he flat out blew it that year. Not just a dip, but maybe the 2nd worst Oline under Stoops since year 1. And then to compound it....Goodwin...he never develops this huge kid (maybe overrated a bit) but still can't develop him or Bingham, etc...

Now in year 2 we buy a left tackle in portal and a right tackle we didn't use but even though improved....that unit was a bottom 3 or 4 offensive line in SEC with Eli Cox, Horsey, Jager Burton in his 3rd year, etc... Not exactly a great jump to only be better than Vandy, Miss St, USC...and maybe Ark Oline.

I don't get it to be honest....feels like alot of low expectations for Yenser, Mike Stoops, Buffano, etc...so carrying dead weight is in Stoops. he has plenty of resources to go get better help.

I like this frame of mind....it's not as clear cut a call. But a few things I go a different direction...

1. Schlarman...we were bad at everything offensively first year and not a ton better in year 2 under Stoops. (and I am sure people were calling for heads to roll a bit).

- But year 3 we picked up a good bit 11th in rush yards (153 per game) but 9th in scoring was a bit of breaththrough (29 pts per game).
- From the rest of Schlarman's time....we were average or better in rushing per game in SEC. The Bowden year we led SEC in rushing, finished like top 3/4 in rushing a few times. And to be fair, we were then starting to recruit in Stoops first years...and those kids (Nick Haynes, Jon Toth, Kyle Meadows, George Asoki-Adoji, Bunchy Stallings, etc...) had to have to develop into 3rd year players thru Strength and Conditioning.

2. Yenser...I get his first year we had losses of Fortner, Rosenthal and Kinnard.....but we had guys like Horsey, Cox, Auburn transfer portal, Flax was a Jr, etc.. and he flat out blew it that year. Not just a dip, but maybe the 2nd worst Oline under Stoops since year 1. And then to compound it....Goodwin...he never develops this huge kid (maybe overrated a bit) but still can't develop him or Bingham, etc...

Now in year 2 we buy a left tackle in portal and a right tackle we didn't use but even though improved....that unit was a bottom 3 or 4 offensive line in SEC with Eli Cox, Horsey, Jager Burton in his 3rd year, etc... Not exactly a great jump to only be better than Vandy, Miss St, USC...and maybe Ark Oline.

I don't get it to be honest....feels like alot of low expectations for Yenser, Mike Stoops, Buffano, etc...so carrying dead weight is in Stoops. he has plenty of resources to go get better help.

Remember when Wolford was blamed for not developing any depth. Two years later, that didn't get any better. Day got forced ín to action. Ford got in every one and a while, but not that hes the heir apparent. Got to beg everyone for a 10th year of eligibility. Need to find another tackle. And the Burtonmove to center failed. I'll root for success but feels like even if that does happen, the next year will be a huge dip again.

There is always a scapegoat, Stoops got rid of coens boy and didn't touch his guys. They don't plan on changing a damn thing, just another scapegoat to make it look like they did something. Rinse and repeat. Next year it will be coen.

Yenser and buffano (autocorrect called him buffoon) being brought back is crazy to me. O line was better but still not as good as it should be. I mean the secondary has been bad for the past 2 years and was especially awful this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT