ADVERTISEMENT

Yenser (DB, LB, and DL coaches too) signs contract extension

If there is to be one more staff change, we're down to Collins and boulware. Unless I'm forgetting someone

I’m kind of surprised that Yenser keeps hanging around. Maybe it’s not all his fault and we’ve just had some recruiting busts in those positions, but our offensive line play has frequently been a major issue in his time here, and it’s not like he has an elite past resume or reputation on the recruiting trail to justify such a benefit of the doubt.

Keeping Buffano sucks. His safeties were maybe the most disappointing of the entire team on the field in 2023 despite talent and experience. And he is a zero in recruiting.

But he's a Youngstown guy, so here we are again. Coulda gone and hired that Florida secondary coach who is a recruiting demon, someone else in the SEC will pick him up instead.

Winningest coach in UK football history.
Broke the Florida streak.
Two 10 win seasons.
Record 8 consecutive bowl appearances.
Beat Penn State, Florida and Tennessee.
Has made UK football respectable.

Disaster my azz.
Just me but I don’t think he means Mark.

Reactions: sambowieshin
I’m kind of surprised that Yenser keeps hanging around. Maybe it’s not all his fault and we’ve just had some recruiting busts in those positions, but our offensive line play has frequently been a major issue in his time here, and it’s not like he has an elite past resume or reputation on the recruiting trail to justify such a benefit of the doubt.
Man, just seems like we didn’t have that many busts under Schlarman rip, his loss was the biggest hit to the program in Stoops’ tenure imo.

Maybe because 4 starters are coming back they are going to keep him for 1 more year.

Keeping Buffano sucks. His safeties were maybe the most disappointing of the entire team on the field in 2023 despite talent and experience. And he is a zero in recruiting.

But he's a Youngstown guy, so here we are again. Coulda gone and hired that Florida secondary coach who is a recruiting demon, someone else in the SEC will pick him up instead.
Headscratcher for sure, love Stoops but have always thought he’s loyal to a fault.

This signals to me stories of staff having come to Jesus and certian players, etc...was all bulljive.

- Woodard is a fair start to let him go....
- Yenser has been poor in 2022 and average in 2023...and he can't recruit worth a flip. We had to hit portal to keep Yenser's group to even just mediocre
- Buffano.....so Geiger was solid and he's in portal...but Childress just blows assignment after assignment...and he's still going to paly the all the snaps he can in 2024

The rest of staff was OK...but I don't see any reason to see UK fortunes going up in next few years. THe stronger parts of Stoops earlier years (top notch running game and physically superior in trenches vs. 2/3rd of SEC)...we no longer have but all the Stoops warts (below par passing game, struggles vs. elite passing teams, poor pass rushers after Josh Allen left, poor end of half clock management, etc).

Moves like this...I see little reason to see UK climbing back over Mizzou/USC in SEC. Forget Tennessee...UGA is a pipe dream. Very disappointing in Stoops.

"After a rough start in his first season where the Big Blue Wall allowed more sacks than any other Power Five program, the Cats showed improvement up front in 2022. Kentucky tied for third in the SEC in sacks allowed (20) and fourth in tackles for loss allowed (62) while paving the way for Ray Davis to rush for more than 1,000 yards."

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...tball-assistants-receive-contract-extensions/

I guess there was notable improvement on the o-line. I hadn't realized that.

Hope like hell we don't lose Boulware, his special teams were quite good, just 1 bad breakdown agaist3 Mizzou

We did show signs of improvement this year. He only got a one year extension, so I’m OK with seeing how he does in year three. Stoops must believe that talent was the main culprit the last couple of years for our poor play.

I wasn't sure about Mike Stoops but last year when Square and Jones were injured and Jackson and Wallace were forced a year early into action I thought he did a nice job with that unit. Stewart has also done a nice job on a relatively low salary so I get that one too.

Buffano is probably one that makes more sense given the two deep was comprised for the most of the season with a true FR, RS SO, JR, and RS FR. I also think the larger issues were CB play since most of the big pass plays came up the sideline while in C3 or C4 based off my anecdotal and flawed memory.

Last edited:
Yenser is somewhat of a surprise, although I thought it could go either way. Buffano is the real head-scratcher. His group underperformed all year long and, as another poster stated, contributed mightily to a couple of losses that could have been wins. Plus, got completely blitzkrieged against UGA and AL, although we weren't winning those games regardless. Still, allowing receivers to run wide open in the middle of the field for easy pitch-and-catch TDs is not acceptable.

"After a rough start in his first season where the Big Blue Wall allowed more sacks than any other Power Five program, the Cats showed improvement up front in 2022. Kentucky tied for third in the SEC in sacks allowed (20) and fourth in tackles for loss allowed (62) while paving the way for Ray Davis to rush for more than 1,000 yards."

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...tball-assistants-receive-contract-extensions/

I guess there was notable improvement on the o-line. I hadn't realized that.

To be fair, there’s a lot less chances to give up sacks compared to most teams.

Yenser got a bad rep because of the bad start last year when we started basically all brand new guys. They got lost on stunts and gave up easy sacks. Then we cobbled together a new look by moving horsey out to let and a very underwhelming Jager to lg. Even so, as the season progressed they were better and better despite getting no help from their QB. The season culminated in the final two games being very good.

This year the OL played good/really good. They had some very high moments as well. Individual players like flax took an obvious step forward. Ray looks very good especially for a walk on. Cox improved especially in the mental side of that position.

Overall he is a very good coach at a decent salary that's also shown an ability to recruit. Good decision to keep him imo

Reactions: rudd1 and entropy13
If Yenser doesn’t have the BBW back to dominating the line of scrimmage he better pack his bags. We finally have a QB, we just need to protect him and move down the field

Yenser got a bad rep because of the bad start last year when we started basically all brand new guys. They got lost on stunts and gave up easy sacks. Then we cobbled together a new look by moving horsey out to let and a very underwhelming Jager to lg. Even so, as the season progressed they were better and better despite getting no help from their QB. The season culminated in the final two games being very good.

This year the OL played good/really good. They had some very high moments as well. Individual players like flax took an obvious step forward. Ray looks very good especially for a walk on. Cox improved especially in the mental side of that position.

Overall he is a very good coach at a decent salary that's also shown an ability to recruit. Good decision to keep him imo
Was UK really that good up front....

- Yards per game...334 yards....we were 11th in SEC (ahead of Vandy, Miss St and Ark
- Rush yard per game....131 yards....12th (head of only Vandy and USC)
- Pass yards per game...204 yards...11th (ahead of Auburn, Ark and Miss St)
- Total points per game (most meaningful stat)....28 pts a game and 8th in SEC...not bad.

After the Florida game....we didn't really run the ball well. I just think the physicality of the offense is in near shambles and we went from being worst Oline to like 3rd worst...so that is progress enough? If Leach had not passed unexpectedly....we'd been down there with Vandy and Arkansas as worst offense.

Keeping Yenser signals our staff doesn't value getting back to that physical style and we'll throw it around is the plan...not sure that is the best idea. I thought it was not good move to can Scangerello and keep Yenser a year ago...it seems downright silly to stick with him yet alone an extension.

Was UK really that good up front....

- Yards per game...334 yards....we were 11th in SEC (ahead of Vandy, Miss St and Ark
- Rush yard per game....131 yards....12th (head of only Vandy and USC)
- Pass yards per game...204 yards...11th (ahead of Auburn, Ark and Miss St)
- Total points per game (most meaningful stat)....28 pts a game and 8th in SEC...not bad.

After the Florida game....we didn't really run the ball well. I just think the physicality of the offense is in near shambles and we went from being worst Oline to like 3rd worst...so that is progress enough? If Leach had not passed unexpectedly....we'd been down there with Vandy and Arkansas as worst offense.

Keeping Yenser signals our staff doesn't value getting back to that physical style and we'll throw it around is the plan...not sure that is the best idea. I thought it was not good move to can Scangerello and keep Yenser a year ago...it seems downright silly to stick with him yet alone an extension.

If adjusted for possessions the offense was way better than it appeared on a per game basis. Just countless drive killing drops kept their snap counts low.

Davis set the school single season TD record despite criminally low number of touches. We ran the ball well against all competition, the only limit was the number of carries they gave Davis. Iirc we ran the ball the least of anyone in the nation.

Passing wise protection was really good. Bama was the game with some struggle but that is what it is. Blocked well the rest of the time. Especially considering the insane deep drops we call often combined with a naked.

If adjusted for possessions the offense was way better than it appeared on a per game basis. Just countless drive killing drops kept their snap counts low.

Davis set the school single season TD record despite criminally low number of touches. We ran the ball well against all competition, the only limit was the number of carries they gave Davis. Iirc we ran the ball the least of anyone in the nation.

Passing wise protection was really good. Bama was the game with some struggle but that is what it is. Blocked well the rest of the time. Especially considering the insane deep drops we call often combined with a naked.
Agree that our game totals are out of whack because we ran so few plays per game.

You basically have to look at things like our average yards per play. For sacks, you have to compare the percentage of passing plays that resulted in a sack this year vs last year to be able compare. And even that isn’t a perfect comparison given some of the differences in the types of passing plays we ran.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

This plays per game narrative is getting silly due to not snapping the ball early in play clock..is getting absurd

- Drop balls happen…and we canned the Wr coach in part due to it
- stupid penalty are also part of it….to which the Oline false start are partly, holding penalty, etc.
- Ray Davis had three 100 yard rushing games all yewr. Ball st (final run of game put him over 100) Florida and mizzou. That’s it.

It’s sort of crazy to act like we’re not eons down on big blue wall. That group is the biggest drop off of any room over last five years. Yenser is the common denominator

Last edited:
This plays per game narrative is getting silly due to not snapping the ball early in play clock..is getting absurd

- stupid penalty are also part of it….to which the Oline false start are partly, holding penalty, etc.
- Ray Davis had three 100 yard rushing games all yewr. Ball st (final run of game put him over 100) Florida and mizzou. That’s it.

It’s sort of crazy to act like we’re not eons down on big blue wall. That group is the biggest drop off of any room over last five years. Yenser is the common denominator
Our plays per game was so abnormally low that it has to be taken into account.

We were dead last in the nation with respect to number of rushing attempts, but we were 24th in the nation in terms of yards per rushing attempt. We averaged basically 5 yards per carry, so on average, when we ran the ball we were having success.

I’m not saying those other factors you mentioned aren’t issues to be fixed, but our plays per game was a huge factor. That has to be taken into account.

Yenser has nothing to do with the slow operation. That's all on the OC. Those long play calls and shifts take the play clock. I guarantee you the ol doesn't want to be in their stance forever. It's exhausting.

The other snap count issue was dropped passes. Again nothing to do with the OL.

The OL had issues against bama that were compounded by wrs getting zero separation. That made Leary hold the ball a bit longer. Bad combo

Headscratcher for sure, love Stoops but have always thought he’s loyal to a fault.
He will not shit can his chosen ones but make scape goats of others. How is he and his DC going to fix the defense. Statistically the offense improved but not sure so much about the defense.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT