ADVERTISEMENT

X MeManBoy0 says at least 3 guys not in portal like UK

wccat2969

Junior
Apr 8, 2009
Some are saying he is Marc Maggard. Saying that there are at least 3 guys (would not provide any names) who have not entered the portal who have UK at their top spot. I feel very good about the upcoming Kentucky roster. He as well as several others believe Jaxson Robinson will be at UK.

Some are saying he is Marc Maggard. Saying that there are at least 3 guys (would not provide any names) who have not entered the portal who have UK at their top spot. I feel very good about the upcoming Kentucky roster. He as well as several others believe Jaxson Robinson will be at UK.
Also said he feels good about Kentuckys spot for brea

Whenever Trilly or some main stream dudes(university related or Norlander) start saying some stuff I’ll belive it. I’m not sold on MeManMaggard.

If you believe the so called, "Joe Adams insider" on Twitter then Mark Sears is a name to watch. I'm personally not buying that, but that's who he threw out there.
I’ve heard some smoke that Bama isn’t 100% on Sears returning. He could be in line for a big payday after his year last year.

Hopefully we hear about positive news about Jaxson Robinson this week. I'd rather have him over Koby Brea and I don't think we'd get both. Robinson knows the system, LOVES Pope and we wouldn't have to get in a bidding war for him.
Robinson can be a graduate transfer. Don’t worry if you don’t hear something soon. Grad transfers can enter the portal at any time!

Could Robinson be favoring the BYU replacement hire? I have to admit, for a Mormon program, they knocked it out of the park by grabbing an NBA guy. He was being interviewed for several head coaching jobs.

Because I really don't see the point in waiting to say your transferring. Or at least opening transfer availability, while still having the option to come back.

Could Robinson be favoring the BYU replacement hire? I have to admit, for a Mormon program, they knocked it out of the park by grabbing an NBA guy. He was being interviewed for several head coaching jobs.

Because I really don't see the point in waiting to say your transferring. Or at least opening transfer availability, while still having the option to come back.
And all we've heard on this board for years is how NBA guys, even the assistants, want nothing to do with college basketball.

And all we've heard on this board for years is how NBA guys, even the assistants, want nothing to do with college basketball.

I don't think anyone said assistants don't want anything to do with college ball. More so that established head coaches and presidents of basketball operations (lol) don't. Assistants are a little different, they might need to take a side step in their career to get a head coaching gig, before getting to the NBA.

It's still a very odd choice. And one that I don't think was smart for him. He interviewed for like 8 different HC jobs.. and instead, he takes a job at BYU where he has to coach with both hands tied behind his back because of religious rules.

But great hire for them. That's about as best you could ask for. I figured they'd be getting a youth pastor as a replacement.

Reactions: flacat22
oh hi mark GIF

I don't think anyone said assistants don't want anything to do with college ball. More so that established head coaches and presidents of basketball operations (lol) don't. Assistants are a little different, they might need to take a side step in their career to get a head coaching gig, before getting to the NBA.

It's still a very odd choice. And one that I don't think was smart for him. He interviewed for like 8 different HC jobs.. and instead, he takes a job at BYU where he has to coach with both hands tied behind his back because of religious rules.

But great hire for them. That's about as best you could ask for. I figured they'd be getting a youth pastor as a replacement.
There was plenty of posters who said that NBA assistants didn't want to go to college. I put out a list of about 5 NBA assistants and multiple posters mocked the idea and found it inconceivable.

We have a certain element of our fan base who constantly demean the college game, even when the college game can pay more than the NBA. When's the last time you heard of any NBA coach being offered $100 million to coach the game? And yet, we just saw that happen with Hurley. Times have changed.

This isn't 1997 anymore. College revenue is on a different level now and the catalyst to the machine in college has always been the coach, whereas in the NBA it's always been the three or four stars a particular NBA team can afford. All that is to say that I think we'll see college coaching salaries climb even higher in the near future, and as a result, we'll likely see more NBA guys consider making the move to the college ranks if any when offered.

Reactions: delk4three
There was plenty of posters who said that NBA assistants didn't want to go to college. I put out a list of about 5 NBA assistants and multiple posters mocked the idea and found it inconceivable.

We have a certain element of our fan base who constantly demean the college game, even when the college game can pay more than the NBA. When's the last time you heard of any NBA coach being offered $100 million to coach the game? And yet, we just saw that happen with Hurley. Times have changed.

This isn't 1997 anymore. College revenue is on a different level now and the catalyst to the machine in college has always been the coach, whereas in the NBA it's always been the three or four stars a particular NBA team can afford. All that is to say that I think we'll see college coaching salaries climb even higher in the near future, and as a result, we'll likely see more NBA guys consider making the move to the college ranks if any when offered.

I'd have to see the list and who ridiculed it. At UK, I'm not sure I'd really be gunning for an NBA assistant, though. What works for BYU doesn't necessarily work for us. I don't think anyone would have been happy with Kevin Young. I think UK should be shooting a little higher than an NBA assistants.

I feel like UK could have, likely, always competed with NBA coaching salaries, if we wanted to. Certainly over the last 15 years we did. And offering that amount (100m) was also a little desperate. MY takeaway from that wasn't that "the college game can pay who they want" but instead "the UK job isn't as big as some fans make it". We had to sweeten the deal by several million a year for Hurley, and he really didn't even have to think twice on it.

I'm not sure Men's college basketball is primed to form jump in popularity with NIL and transfers, so I don't see coaches salaries expanding beyond the simply growth of sports I'm general and inflation. If anything, I see it staying stagnant on comparison, or even shrinking.

I'd have to see the list and who ridiculed it. At UK, I'm not sure I'd really be gunning for an NBA assistant, though. What works for BYU doesn't necessarily work for us. I don't think anyone would have been happy with Kevin Young. I think UK should be shooting a little higher than an NBA assistants.

I feel like UK could have, likely, always competed with NBA coaching salaries, if we wanted to. Certainly over the last 15 years we did. And offering that amount (100m) was also a little desperate. MY takeaway from that wasn't that "the college game can pay who they want" but instead "the UK job isn't as big as some fans make it". We had to sweeten the deal by several million a year for Hurley, and he really didn't even have to think twice on it.

I'm not sure Men's college basketball is primed to form jump in popularity with NIL and transfers, so I don't see coaches salaries expanding beyond the simply growth of sports I'm general and inflation. If anything, I see it staying stagnant on comparison, or even shrinking.

"The other guys [almost all assistants] are all NBA dudes with no college coaching experience, no recruiting experience and are mostly all at good NBA jobs.

Not to mention, NBA coaches rarely do well coming to college and vice versa. Larry Brown is about the only one who had success at both." - pb abdominal

"When was the last time an NBA coach [in reference to assistant coaches that had been mentioned] that wasn't on the hot seat left for a college job?" - JWUkfan11

"I just thought a list of current NBA coaches, some of actual current NBA contenders...had to be satirical." - Ron Swanson (almost all of the coaches on my list were assistants)

Wildcatsworld, BBH, and others also made it clear they don't think an NBA assistant would come here.

Additionally, UK hasn't just been "competitive" with NBA salaries for the last 15 years. We've offered far greater than market value.

The average NBA head coach makes just shy of $4 million a year. We offered Hurley four times that.

We'll see the same from other blue bloods as college basketball moves forward. That's probably the most pertinent element of this discussion: not necessarily what can South Carolina or Tulane offer, but can elite programs outbid NBA salaries? The answer is that for most of them, yes they can. Most importantly, Kentucky certainly can.

Last edited:
Hopefully we hear about positive news about Jaxson Robinson this week. I'd rather have him over Koby Brea and I don't think we'd get both. Robinson knows the system, LOVES Pope and we wouldn't have to get in a bidding war for him.
FWIW. Between the light Twitter smoke that went up last night and the KSR "Dad's friend at lunch" caller, Brea is sounding like a real possibility.
Would love to have both him and Jaxson.

"The other guys [almost all assistants] are all NBA dudes with no college coaching experience, no recruiting experience and are mostly all at good NBA jobs.

Not to mention, NBA coaches rarely do well coming to college and vice versa. Larry Brown is about the only one who had success at both." - pb abdominal

"When was the last time an NBA coach [in reference to assistant coaches that had been mentioned] that wasn't on the hot seat left for a college job?" - JWUkfan11

"I just thought a list of current NBA coaches, some of actual current NBA contenders...had to be satirical." - Ron Swanson (almost all of the coaches on my list were assistants)

Wildcatsworld, BBH, and others also made it clear they don't think an NBA assistant would come here.

Additionally, UK hasn't just been "competitive" with NBA salaries for the last 15 years. We've offered far greater than market value.

The average NBA head coach makes just shy of $4 million a year. We offered Hurley four times that.

We'll see the same from other blue bloods as college basketball moves forward. That's probably the most pertinent element of this discussion: not necessarily what can South Carolina or Tulane offer, but can elite programs outbid NBA salaries? The answer is that for most of them, yes they can. Most importantly, Kentucky certainly can.

Yeah I was going to say, it seems UK can more than compete with NBA when it comes to salaries, and I bet a few others can too, like Duke, UNC and soon to be Uconn.

But they don't usually seem to travel back down the proverbial corporate ladder. The only times they do, are usually when they failed miserably at the NBA level and come back. Billy Donovan seems like he's gonna get fired in a year or maybe even sooner.. I don't see him going back to college. I think he's just gonna find another NBA coaching gig.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

You must be a Mormon to be a head coach at Brigham Young. Kevin Young is a Mormon. I do not know if he is a descendant of Brigham Young. His wife is from Omaha, oddly enough, where Mark Pope was born.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT