ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling stories

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
How many of you ever went down to Louisville Gardens or somewhere else to see pro wrestling? I went a few times in the early 80s when Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee were the good guys and they rotated bad guys in, usually managed by Jimmy Hart.

One time a friend of mine flung some ice from his drink at the New Zealand Sheepherders and got us tossed. Suddenly we're in a completely empty back parking lot thinking it wasn't so funny.

Reactions: parrott
How many of you ever went down to Louisville Gardens or somewhere else to see pro wrestling? I went a few times in the early 80s when Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee were the good guys and they rotated bad guys in, usually managed by Jimmy Hart.

One time a friend of mine flung some ice from his drink at the New Zealand Sheepherders and got us tossed. Suddenly we're in a completely empty back parking lot thinking it wasn't so funny.
When I was young I was into the Memphis wrestling scene big time. Had a fella in my neighborhood growing up that was a wrestler. His name was Bill Kiper and he's in the wrestling HOF. He used to show us kids some of his moves out in the yard. I think he may have wrestled for a spell with those Memphis guys.

I delivered pizza's for Pizza Hut in high school, and quite often to the home where Savage and a few others stayed on the north side of Lex. They would wrestle at Henry Clay gym during the week and then head off to Memphis and other places trying to break thru.

Most of them worked out during those days at Sin The sports complex on Richmond Rd when it was in business.

I have told this in the wrestling thread but my friend worked at a Long John Silvers in high school which was across the street from the local National Guard building back in the early 80's. He was at work one day when their was going to be wrestling at the Armory and Macho Man walked across the street to eat at the Long Johns. Of course at that time he hadn't made it big so it wasn't a big deal until a few years later when saw him on WWF. He said the funniest thing was hearing him ordering a Fish and More in his Macho Man voice. 🤣

Last edited:
I bet those guys loved it when they got to turn heel now and then. I remember Lawler, Dundee and Mantel all going to the dark side at least once.

Saw Lawler, Dundee, Handsome Jimmy Valiant (my all-time favorite), Nick Bockwinkle, Wildfire Tommy Rich, etc. wrestle in Memorial Coliseum (IIRC). Religiously watched Lance Russell and Dave Brown on Saturday mornings with the Memphis wrestling show. I think I attended a live show 3 or 4 times. I remember Dundee turning heel when he hit Lawler with a chain, who, of course, acted like he'd never get up and had died right then and there. Good times!

Went to the Evansville Coliseum most Wednesday nights. Made the 50 mile trip from Madisonville with 3 of my buddies. Some stories :
After the show one night, one of my friends was sitting on the fender of a Lincoln Towncar. Turns out, it was Stan Lane and Steve Kearn's rental. Talked to them a few minutes. Later, we ran into them at the Thortons in Henderson right across the bridge. Had a few beers with them, really cool guys (we was underage).

One night, Jonathan (can't remember his last name) of the Sheepherders had a fan climb up on the ring apron and was giving him shit, He smacked the absolute shit out of the guy. The guy was sitting behind us, and all night he was saying "I am going to kick his ass afterwards". I turned around to him and said "Man you better leave it go". His face was red all night with a handprint.

Not proud of this, but my uncle was a pretty big weed dealer back in the day (early 80's), he was good friends with Danny Littlebear, one night I walked into the kitchen of my house, my uncle, Littlebear and Handsome Jimmy Valiant was standing there. Pretty cool moment, some weed was definitely exchanged. My uncle also helped Littlebear and his partners build a Indy car to try to qualify for the Indy 500. Safe to say, it did not get close, but my uncle was a hell of a mechanic.

Steve Kearn was a legit crazy MFer. One night at Browning Springs Middle School (Madisonville) he showed up without Stan Lane. One of my friends Jr. Green after the matches was over ask him as he was headed to his car "Hey Steve where is Stan at ?" Kearn replied "man, he had car trouble". Jr. then replied to him "Man that is a GD lie, the Sheepherders Effed him up on TV Saturday." Kearn was mad as hell and there was several of my friends and I standing around (15 or so was black guys), Steve Kearn said "Listen here you FN ****er, I will EF you up." Took some serious balls to say that shit with all of the guys around him. Nothing happened, I am really surprised it didn't.

Sheepherders and The Fabulous Ones are part of most of my wrestling stories, it just happened that way I guess.

Another kind of odd story, not really pertaining to wrestling, but one night leaving the Evansville Coliseum me and my same 3 friends was leaving. We had Run / DMC or some rap music can't exactly remember (around 1984), a truck of Rednecks called us several names, run us off the road and damaged my friends car pretty bad. Guess they wasn't fans of Rap music.

Every story listed is 100% true, I know it probably will be doubted by some.

I was watching the Lawler/Kaufman Letterman appearance live when it aired. Called my best friend (at 12:30 p.m.) and his mom answered. Told him the Earth-shattering thing is just seen and he said "what is wrong with you?"

My dad went to a match one time and a elderly lady in front was giving the heel whatever etc. My dad started hollowing
for the heel the elderly lady turned around and told my dad to shut his GD mouth.

my dad said he kept his mouth shut the rest of the night.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I'm an average size guy. I stepped up to the bar to get a beer and the guy standing beside me is about 6'6 and 300 pounds and a hard core biker. I'm thinking, you sure are a big one. On the other side of him, stepped up a wrestler. I think he called himself Plowboy Frazier or something like that. He made the biker look tiny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT